banefulscolumn

Summer 2014 HAT Format

20 posts in this topic

In my opinion, this format ranks right up there with Goats.  It had perhaps the most diverse meta of all time with at least 10 meta decks.  Infernities, Madolches, HAT, Satellarknight, Mermail, Evilswarms, Yang Zing, Shaddoll, Burning Abyss, Sylvan, Fire King and Lightsworn Rulers.  While some aspects of it were overpowered, I like how it made Trap Cards relevant again.  All right before Nekroz messed everything up.

ok

lol

btw, there was a long gap between nekroz and hat format.

Is this baneful from pojo?

I'm pretty sure you're combining two different metas into one. Pre-Duelist Alliance was nats format aka HAT format; no dolls, BA, or tellarknights. Post-Duelist Alliance was, "You'd be a fucking moron if you aren't running Shaddolls" format.

In order to bridge some balance between the summer and fall formats (making DUEA decks on the same wavelength as the others).  I think we should make the card pool up to September with the following F/L list recommendations to balance things out:

Limited: Soul Charge, El Shaddoll Construct, Super Polymerization

Semi-Limited: Shaddoll Fusion, El Shaddoll Fusion, Cir MotBA, Scarm MotBA, Graff MotBA, Dante TotBA, Satellarknight Altair, Satellarnova Alpha

7 minutes ago, banefulscolumn said:

In order to bridge some balance between the summer and fall formats (making DUEA decks on the same wavelength as the others).  I think we should make the card pool up to September with the following F/L list recommendations to balance things out:

Semi-Limited: Shaddoll Fusion, El Shaddoll Fusion, Cir MotBA, Scarm MotBA, Graff MotBA, Dante TotBA, Satellarknight Altair, Satellarnova Alpha

nope

22 minutes ago, banefulscolumn said:

hit the desk.png

Baneful, The problem with your posts is that you're trying to change banlists of past formats when people hardly even play past formats to begin with. You're narrowing down your target audience by creating nonexistent formats. Goat format is a bit different as it's widely held as the last instance where Yu-Gi-Oh! Was a balanced, skillful game and people try to hold onto that era of dueling. It's always the most popular format except for current, therefore sometimes people or groups of people decide to alter that specific banlist to suit their community's liking. Editing other past formats that no one even plays just makes you look weird in my personal opinion. It's like some guy on drugs going on a random tangent that no one cares about. Just makes people go "wtf?"

i think you're a good poster, and you're filling in a void speaking of past formats. I would think your efforts would be better spent delving into past formats in their true form, similar to what I see jazz do. It's just that no one is interested in playing a past format with not even that formats banlist

If Tellars/BA/Shaddolls are not hit, then the other decks in the format are pushed out effectively.

We could just have the format before DUEA, but yes, it was the same format.

It's like debating Goats with Cybernetic Revolution versus without.

1 minute ago, banefulscolumn said:

If Tellars/BA/Shaddolls are not hit, then the other decks in the format are pushed out effectively.

We could just have the format before DUEA, but yes, it was the same format.

It's like debating Goats with Cybernetic Revolution versus without.

how many people play goats with cybernetic revolution?

why is it so hard for you to keep your shitty opinions about "fixing formats" to yourself and just play the game as it was played in these formats?

I've heard this was a good format. Would love somebody to make an actual intro to it.

In fact somebody should make an intro to all the good formats I can't make them all.

Then again somebody should make a better duel simulator first, but we're not all programmers.

I might do when I get the time, but it was a deep format.  Keep in mind it wasn't just 2 or 3 meta decks, but 12 of them.  But I guess one would begin with a description of each archetype, how they work, what cards can support them and what their weaknesses are and what to side against each of them.

I think every good format intro needs pictures of decks and explanations that are thorough enough that somebody who has played yugioh before, but not necessarily that format, can easily understand the basics of the format. TLDR; if you're gonna do an intro, put some effort into it. :)

Edited by Jazz

41 minutes ago, knives1990 said:

Baneful, The problem with your posts is that you're trying to change banlists of past formats when people hardly even play past formats to begin with. You're narrowing down your target audience by creating nonexistent formats. Goat format is a bit different as it's widely held as the last instance where Yu-Gi-Oh! Was a balanced, skillful game and people try to hold onto that era of dueling. It's always the most popular format except for current, therefore sometimes people or groups of people decide to alter that specific banlist to suit their community's liking. Editing other past formats that no one even plays just makes you look weird in my personal opinion. It's like some guy on drugs going on a random tangent that no one cares about. Just makes people go "wtf?"

i think you're a good poster, and you're filling in a void speaking of past formats. I would think your efforts would be better spent delving into past formats in their true form, similar to what I see jazz do. It's just that no one is interested in playing a past format with not even that formats banlist

I may care about fantasy formats / custom banlists if they actually seem interesting. Like what are people even trying to do 'balance out cards that are OP', well guess what, there's always going to be a card that's the 'OP' card of the card pool unless if you don't want card strength diversity to exist within a format which is even worse because it's boring, skilless, etc. Wanting every deck to be viable is equivalent to not wanting to have to find out which deck is the best, but just play any deck and still do good, which ironically is the opposite of skillful. 

I think it's rather arguable whether or not this was actually a good format or not, because IMO a big reason why the games seemed so interactive and fair was because a lot more people played fairer decks such as HAT or Geargia, when there were better alternatives (Sylvan, Infernity, Maybe even Rulers or Mermail) that were degenerate and autowon a lot of the time they combo'd off turn 1.

Another thing about why this format has a It also conforms to a lot of people's biases about diversity in the format, even though a lot of the diversity is rather artificial given how nearly every deck is either a slow trap + beatdown deck or a Soul Charge into an unbreakable board deck. And of course, whether a format is diverse or not isn't indicative of how much it rewards the better player.

I also think a lot of people underestimate how much of an impact the change in the first turn draw-phase rule changed this format as well. 

Edited by Mr Dragon

fuck this format

without a consistent platform to play on, I feel like putting the effort into making a format primer is ultimately meaningless. I mean, if you have the hour (lets be honest, I think any decent primer should take atleast that long), might as well, but eh.

4 minutes ago, Gemstone Mine said:

without a consistent platform to play on, I feel like putting the effort into making a format primer is ultimately meaningless. I mean, if you have the hour (lets be honest, I think any decent primer should take atleast that long), might as well, but eh.

I agree that's why I play mafia TBH

For formats as recent as this, I think playing on Devpro would be fine. I'm not the biggest fan of playing on automatic platforms but mechanically it should work. It's not a case of something like Goats, where there's tonnes of ruling discrepancies.