• Announcements

• rei

Battle of the Anime Characters   02/10/17

THE BATTLE OF THE ANIME CHARACTERS HAS BEGUN   Find it here http://duelistgroundz.com/index.php?/forum/615-battle-of-the-anime-x/
banefulscolumn

Pre-Chaos (February 2004)

23 posts in this topic

Some would consider this a part of Elf beat, but with numerous sets coming in, it's good to divide up the formats at some point.  This is the last point before Chaos dismantled the first reich of Yugioh.  

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/February_2004_Lists

Staples and Semi-Staples

Monsters: Breaker the Magical Warrior, Fiber Jar, Magical Scientist, Jinzo, Sinister Serpent, Sangan, Witch of the Black Forest, Tribe-Infecting Virus, Yata-Garasu, D.D. Warrior Lady (1-3x), Magician of Faith (1-3x)

Spells: Change of Heart, Confiscation, Dark Hole, Delinquent Duo, Graceful Charity, Harpie's Feather Duster, Heavy Storm, Monster Reborn, Painful Choice, Pot of Greed, Premature Burial, Raigeki, Snatch Steal, The Forceful Sentry, Nobleman of Crossout (1-2x), Mystical Space Typhoon, 

Traps: Call of the Haunted, Imperial Order, Mirror Force, Ring of Destruction

Most of these cards are simple and straightforward.  One noteworthy addition is the potential playset of D.D. Warrior Lady.  This hurt the Mystic Tomato engine that was previously winning many tournaments, but I wouldn't say it killed it.  It also hurt Zombies, which got support 2 sets prior.  It also provided an answer to Jinzo. 

Tribute Monsters

* Airknight Parshath - Was good for card advantage and Berserk Gorilla wasn't out yet.  But due to LIGHT's not being needed for Chaos and no Goats around, it wasn't as good as it would be in 2005.

* Vampire Lord - A well-rounded monster that evades removal.  But keep in mind that with DDWL at 3, you need to play it carefully.

**Beat Sticks**

* Luster Dragon - Was the LV4 with the best stats and no drawbacks, but was quite vanilla

* Spear Dragon - If you had Waboku to protect it, it punished defense monsters (most of which were weak)

* Goblin Attack Force - The highest overall attack, but at a big penalty.  It was rogue.

* Zombyra the Dark - Searchable with ROTA.  High 2100 ATK.  Gets over VLord, Airknight and any LV4.  Forces opponent to waste removal. Doesn't get changed to Defense Position.

* Kycoo the Ghost Destroyer - It's not as useful as it would be in Chaos formats, but it was a well rounded 1800 beater, and many would rather have had an 1800 ATK that was able to prevent Jinzo/VLord/Sinister/Sangan from being revived than to be a 1900 vanilla beater.  If you traded with a DDWL, you could trigger its effect.

* Reflect Bounder - Life points were precious in earlier formats.  Apart from having good stats, it also worked as stall and made the opponent easier to kill with the damage.

**Defenders**

Not many solid defenders were around in this format.  Defense mode monsters were typically weak.  Maybe in hindsight the Gravekeeper Spy engine could have worked, and if it forced some opponents into foolishly -1'ing with DDWL, that was better.  Recruiters were around, such as Giant Rat and Mystic Tomato, and even if DDWL hurts them, I'd still say they're viable.  Spirit Reaper was additionally a solid option, perhaps underrated for its time, but again, DDWL does get rid of it with ease.

**Weenies**

* Exiled Force - Still a solid balanced removal option if you can afford giving up a Normal Summon.  It was used quite a bit back then.

* Tsukuyomi - Would be good for re-using Flip Effects, but it doesn't answer DDWL, and there weren't a ton of strong beatsticks with low defense in this format.  No more than 1 of.

* Morphing Jar - I believe it was very rare at the time so most couldn't afford it.

* Cyber Jar - Many used it for its removal abilities.  Goat format avoids it probably because TER can suck it up and there's overall more piercing and punishment for defense monsters.  

* Don Zaloog - With deck space tightening and the tomato engine receded, Don Zaloog still has some role in this format (he's still searchablee with ROTA).  He can push for damage and gain advantage.  But his ATK is low and he needs backrow protection.  I wouldn't use more than 1, in fear of clogging.

* Injection Fairy Lily - It was still considered to be very good for it's aggro and +1 abilities.  It took out LV5-6 monsters.  But there weren't as many conventional beat sticks as there was back when LOD first came out.

* Twin-Headed Behemoth - It's a floater with decent stats.  With skillful play, you could get your opponent to waste removal on it, or use it for tributing.

* Mask of Darkness - A 2nd Imperial Order, sure.

**Spell and Trap Cards**

* Mirage of Nightmare - It either was a staple or it should've been.

* United We Stand - Maybe more common in locals than in nationals, but it worked for aggro.

* Book of Moon - It's not a powerhouse like the other spell cards but some found its use.

* Scapegoat - Due to a tight Spell line-up, Metamorphosis and TER weren't big factors in this format, but Scapegoat is still a really good defense.  Gotta protect against Yata.

* Giant Trunade

* Swords of Revealing Light - It was less reliable with Breaker around and space was tight, but it still was a good card.

* Reinforcements of the Army

* Creature Swap - Less Goats to troll with.

* Trap Dustshoot - Hindsight versus deck space.

* Bottomless Trap Hole - It was better back then since BLS didn't have priority and TER didn't slip under it.

* Sakuretsu Armor - Good against DDWL and Airknight, but Jinzo and VLord punished it.  Run 0-2. 

* Dust Tornado - It typically get excluded in fast formats, but it always is an option.

* Magic Cylinder - A -1, but some duelists applied pressure with Bounder, Ring of D and other cards.

* Ceasefire - The format both had its share of flip effects, as well as monsters you wanted to protect from the occasional Nobleman.

* Waboku - Because it was still a beater deck.

* Drop Off - It's a 1 for 1 but limited deck space means +1 cards are prefered.

* Time Seal - ^

**Sample Deck List** (40 cards + 2 ROTA's)

Monsters (17)

1 Jinzo

1 Airknight Parshath

1 Vampire Lord

1 Breaker the Magical Warrior

1 Tribe-Infecting Virus

1 Kycoo the Ghost Destroyer

2 Zombyra the Dark

3 D.D. Warrior Lady

2 Magician of Faith

1 Exiled Force

1 Witch of the Black Forest

1 Sangan

1 Yata-Garasu

Spells (19)

1 Pot of Greed

1 Graceful Charity

1 Delinquent Duo

1 Snatch Steal

1 Change of Heart

1 Monster Reborn

1 Premature Burial

1 Confiscation

1 The Forceful Sentry

1 Harpie's Feather Duster

1 Heavy Storm

1 Dark Hole

1 Raigeki

1 Painful Choice

2 Nobleman of Crossout

2 Reinforcement of the Army

1 Scapegoat

Trap (6)

1 Imperial Order

1 Ring of Destruction

1 Mirror Force

1 Call of the Haunted

1 Sakuretsu Armor

1 Bottomless Trap Hole

now THIS was a fucking format

This is your forte baneful. keep it up

Monsters: 7

2 Morphing Jar

1 Cyber Jar

1 Sangan

2 Mystic Tomato

Spells: 33

3 Book of Moon

3 Book of Taiyou

3 The Shallow Grave

3 Dragged Down into the Grave

3 Spell Reproduction

3 Reload

1 Pot of Greed

1 Graceful Charity

1 Upstart Goblin

1 Painful Choice

1 Card Destruction

3 A Feather of the Phoenix

3 Mystical Space Typhoon

1 Mirage of Nightmare

2 Scapegoat

1 Swords of Revealing Light

Best deck!

I still have my Millineum Puzzle Yugioh Trophy given to me from my store for running our tournament scene back then lol. 

42 minutes ago, Sky said:

I still have my Millineum Puzzle Yugioh Trophy given to me from my store for running our tournament scene back then lol. 

I forgot about those. before I started playing, my local store gave out that trophy for the duelist with the most wins in a YEAR. My buddy has the trophy, I wonder if it's worth anything

9 hours ago, ACP said:

Monsters: 7

2 Morphing Jar

1 Cyber Jar

1 Sangan

2 Mystic Tomato

Spells: 33

3 Book of Moon

3 Book of Taiyou

3 The Shallow Grave

3 Dragged Down into the Grave

3 Spell Reproduction

3 Reload

1 Pot of Greed

1 Graceful Charity

1 Upstart Goblin

1 Painful Choice

1 Card Destruction

3 Mystical Space Typhoon

1 Mirage of Nightmare

2 Scapegoat

1 Swords of Revealing Light

Best deck!

more like worst dek

noob

1v1 him scrub

On 1/14/2017 at 9:40 PM, ACP said:

Sorry, Donald.  This card came out 5 sets later.

Oh damn, guess you'd have to run 3 Thunder Dragon instead.

Magical Scientist OTK was a popular deck

Not having DMoC really hurts Scientist. It might not seem like much, but it made your Reasoning/Gate a lot better.

37 minutes ago, ACP said:

Not having DMoC really hurts Scientist. It might not seem like much, but it made your Reasoning/Gate a lot better.

For sure.

I believe the other popular route was gilasaurus+last will+catapult turtle.

29 minutes ago, Jazz said:

For sure.

I believe the other popular route was gilasaurus+last will+catapult turtle.

You usually played those both together, since Last Will and Monster Gate go so well together. This was what a standard build from December 2004 looked like:

Monsters: 9

1 Dark Magician of Chaos

1 Magical Scientist

3 Catapult Turtle

3 Gilasaurus

1 Cannon Soldier

Spells: 32

1 Mystik Wok

1 Painful Choice

1 Upstart Goblin

1 Card Destruction

1 Pot of Greed

1 Premature Burial

3 Reasoning  

1 A Legendary Ocean

1 Mystic Plasma Zone

3 Terraforming 

3 Spell Reproduction 

3 Serial Spell  

3 Monster Reincarnation 

3 Monster Gate  

3 Reload  

3 Last Will  

So I actually had a chance to participate in a Feb 04 tourney this past weekend. We had a surprising turnout for such a polarizing format but I can say, honestly, that Magical Scientist OTK is iffy at best in the format and that Waboku is perhaps the most underrated trap card in the game. Preventing an early Yata lock is paramount in that format and Waboku is one of the few surefire ways to counter it. I think it should definitely be considered a staple in the format. 

dont forget chainable to duster storm mst dust tornado trunade

17 hours ago, Ultimate Buffalo said:

dont forget chainable to duster storm mst dust tornado trunade

3 of those cards are practically unplayable

(storm, tornado, trunade)

People who main deck storm in these formats are unrefined. Feather duster is also questionable. MST all day.

Storm may as well be a second Duster, though. When you're looking to drop the Yata lock, Storm is as valuable as Duster. Tornado and Trunade are not playable I don't think (though it doesn't stop people from playing them), I agree. But Storm is definitely main-deck worthy in Feb 04 in my opinion. MST is great but really it's main purpose is to out Imperial Order because Storm and Duster are going to clear the rest of them when you're trying to establish control of hand and board. Imperial Order is definitely one of the best traps and biggest threats of the format.

1 hour ago, Anteaus44 said:

Storm may as well be a second Duster, though. When you're looking to drop the Yata lock, Storm is as valuable as Duster. Tornado and Trunade are not playable I don't think (though it doesn't stop people from playing them), I agree. But Storm is definitely main-deck worthy in Feb 04 in my opinion. MST is great but really it's main purpose is to out Imperial Order because Storm and Duster are going to clear the rest of them when you're trying to establish control of hand and board. Imperial Order is definitely one of the best traps and biggest threats of the format.

Try relegating storm to the side deck you won't miss it at all.

Already way too many "staples" in this format, trust me you can build a more cohesive deck without it.

I'm willing to test it. There's nothing in the way of events or anything for the format for a while though so it's kind of on the back burner for me. I'll play with it and let you know.

Personally I like the Chaos format after this anyway, but they're not that different.

breaker too, coth/reborn/prem jinzo also, but besides that it is even though a minus 1 it gives you a whole turn to go over the top of their monsters.

Bazoo was a thing too, as well as lily.

oh remember the world champs deck a the time?  i played modified versions of it throughout to 200 and it was so degenerate, was a tournament i went 2-0 against every chaos deck 

Edited by Ultimate Buffalo

Bazoo didn't see much play back in Feb 04 if I recall. Breaker, CoTH/Reborn/Premature are all staples in the format as well as Jinzo. Though there were some events in New York where it seemed everyone that topped sided Jinzo instead of maining it.