Me.

Calculator

29 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Bazoo said:

Could this be considered from another angle?

Not all calculators can use this function. The calculators that contain functions such as this tend to be expensive, as a side note.

Thus, players without those particular calculators are naturally prohibited from this advantage. Using the function would provide an advantage because you own something extra compared to your opponent (outside of different pieces of cardboard). Such tools that give an advantage should not be allowed.

You can arguably extend this to "I can't afford 3 desires so nobody else should be allowed to play the card".

12 minutes ago, The Antagonist said:

You can arguably extend this to "I can't afford 3 desires so nobody else should be allowed to play the card".

No, because the game rules permit Desires.

If you're gonna be glib, be glib competently.

9 hours ago, Bazoo said:

Could this be considered from another angle?

Not all calculators can use this function. The calculators that contain functions such as this tend to be expensive, as a side note.

Thus, players without those particular calculators are naturally prohibited from this advantage. Using the function would provide an advantage because you own something extra compared to your opponent (outside of different pieces of cardboard). Such tools that give an advantage should not be allowed.

It falls flat given that nothing about the game's rules stipulates player choice-to-not-use-a-non-mandatory-aid can corrupt the gamestate or otherwise violate procedures.

That being SAID:

nothing's stopping policy from changing to denote something like this as an unfair advantage, EXCEPT the whims of the policy's makers.

so while your angle falls flat now, ask me again in 10 years.

On 20/01/2017 at 6:59 AM, Pharaoh Atem said:

No, because the game rules permit Desires.

If you're gonna be glib, be glib competently.

Game rules say nothing about cost of calculators as far as I'm aware. In fact they allow calculators. Your retort is weak. 

Ultimately, if we use reasoning the calculator SHOULD be used for nothing else than typing up numbers that will display what the current life totals are. This is why they've been allowed. As far as I'm aware people are too stupid to be damned to bring pen and paper to an event, so they've compromised and allowed calculators to do this too. Even though we prefer pen and paper for various reasons. 

Theres no hard text anywhere that says "you are allowed to bring a calculator along with you to make necessary calculations during a duel". 

The problem here is the line has become blurred. We allow people to use that same calculator to minus and add to lifepoints because it's accurate and convenient and we may even allow them to use that calculator to aid in common in-game mental math if they don't lose their life totals afterwards. But at what point do we say "that was not a necessary calculation you are clearly slowplaying!" 

One could argue any calculation barring really obviously irrelevant ones done on a calculator would make the game go by faster potentially. If I have to sit and and hmm and hum trying to figure out the odds of him having drawn his Heavy Storm, when I could instead plug in 2 numbers into a preset calculation to get my answer, is that really slow playing?

And you can't argue making that calculation is not necessary or punishable. These are thoughts that run through most players heads during every turn and decision process. 

Theres aruguements for just saying "too bad, doing that calculation will take too long you just can't." And vice versa and ultimately we need that one thing we'll never ever get from Konami... An authoritative answer that sharpens the lines of this debate.

For now I'm an advocate of allowing any calculation that can be done reasonably quickly and is related to the game.