ACP

Currently Forbidden Cards that Would be Unplayable at 3

»ACP    33421

This came up in the discord chat last night, so I figured I'd make a full list of every forbidden card that would be absolute trash in the current meta if they were put to 3. Some of these cards could put in gimmick tier 3 or tier 2 decks, but it would be very rare to see them in YCS top decklists.

Fiber Jar - This does absolutely nothing in the current meta. Flip effects in general are way too slow right now. Most setups actually don't really care if you set Fiber Jar to try to reset the game (ABC Dragon Buster and Toadally Awesome). The bottom line is that there would be no good deck that could take advantage of this type of effect, and thus it would not be played.

Morphing Jar #2 - A flip effect that is even worse than Fiber Jar. This is self-explanatory.

Sangan - Remember when we used to debate whether Tour Guide or Sangan was more broken? Sangan would do absolutely nothing today. Its effect is slow, and there's nothing that game-breaking to search.

Victory Dragon - Even if they ruled that you could not concede a game while Victory Dragon was in play, it would still be terrible.

Witch of the Black Forest - Along the same lines as Sangan, although this is clearly stronger overall. No, being able to Wonder Wand this and search DAD would not make it good enough. That's just way worse than what every other deck is doing.

Yata-Garasu - Yes, what used to be in most top5 lists for most broken cards ever would be completely unplayable if at 3 today. Doesn't lead to any powerful setups, and the game is way too fast for Yata-locking to be a viable win con.

Butterfly Dragon - Elma - Trying to set up Gearfried + Royal Magical Library + Dagger to draw into Exodia is so much worse than what every top tier deck does today that it's quite laughable. Elma would see no play at 3.

Mass Driver - Does absolutely nothing. We don't need this card to do broken loops anymore.

Mirage of Nightmare - Way too slow. Sure, you could try to gimmick your way to victory with this + MST/Twin Twister, but it's way worse than just running Pot of Desires or Card of Demise. No, this would not make Dark World top tier.

Last Turn - In a world where t1 Fossil Dyna is basically already an FTK, Last Turn is just win more. Wall of Revealing Light is at 1, and it would take a lot of effort to get your LP down to 1000 reliably.

Return from the Different Dimension - Way too slow. There are much better ways to assemble broken fields than Return, and those ways can be done on t1, which is ultimately why Return would see no play.

Self-Destruct Button - Was never even good in the first place and was only banned because judges didn't want to deal with it.

Time Seal - Does absolutely nothing. And yes, your 3x Yata 3x Time Seal deck would suck, trust me.

Ultimate Offering - The pendulum mechanic is sort of like having an Ultimate Offering in play at all times. Also, Ultimate Offering is a trap, so it automatically sucks. No, 9 Gadgets + 3 Ultimate Offering would not be good enough, as relying on a trap to combo off would always allow your opponent to setup first, and most of these setups could easily deal with the combo.

Any one Dragon Ruler - Three of a single ruler + its baby would not be good enough. You could easily put something like Redox at 3 with no major consequences.

(The point of this list is not to necessarily argue for bringing these cards back, but more to demonstrate how far power creep has come that cards that were once considered completely broken would just be completely out of the meta today.)

• Upvote 5

+rei+    34656

I think Yata could be made to work 

Me.    57
3 minutes ago, rei said:

I think Yata could be made to work 

What does this mean?

+Gojira    1706

Norleras decks are pretty consistent, but I don't think yata makes that plan any better.

+rei+    34656
44 minutes ago, Me. said:

What does this mean?

Did I stutter?

• Upvote 1

Me.    57
1 minute ago, rei said:

Did I stutter?

No. Just that "made to work" is a very ambiguous phrase that I don't know how to interpret in the context.

+rei+    34656

Im saying it has potential as a playable viable card 

+Mascis    4554

they summon yata and attack me but i chain legacy of yata to the attack and draw 2

#FREEYATA

• Upvote 4

»ACP    33421

I think Yata would be best in a Statues-style stun deck. The idea being that t1 you summon Fossil Dyna, and if they don't have any outs to it in their opening 6, t2 you summon Yata and end the game now rather than allowing them a few draw phases to try to out it. But even in that deck it would be situational, and it certainly would not make Statues viable.

»ACP    33421

Upon further consideration, I do think that Witch would be quite good in Metalfoes, so it should probably be removed from the list. It searches virtually everything in the deck, and Metalfoes can use their effects to send Witch to the grave whenever you like. Plus, you could actually run Wonder Wand as a draw engine in Majespecter Metalfoes, since the Majespecters are also spellcasters.

Me.    57
3 minutes ago, ACP said:

Upon further consideration, I do think that Witch would be quite good in Metalfoes, so it should probably be removed from the list. It searches virtually everything in the deck, and Metalfoes can use their effects to send Witch to the grave whenever you like. Plus, you could actually run Wonder Wand as a draw engine in Majespecter Metalfoes, since the Majespecters are also spellcasters.

It actually wouldn't be good in metalfoes because you need to either normal summon her or trigger her after you pendulum summon. This means that you either can't resolve better normal summon effects, or effectively play a card down for 1 turn. And what would you really even search? A metalfoe? Eccentrick? Just max out on painful decision and summoner's art first.

»ACP    33421

Why would you have to use Witch after you pendulum summon? You can search Rescue Rabbit, which seems pretty good, or a utility card like Eccentrick. But maybe I'm wrong and it just sucks.

website is bad    2172

does anyone here really think tribe-infecting virus would be playable cuz in a world where raigeki and dark hole exist as nonstaples im failing to see where tribe does anything

»ACP    33421
3 minutes ago, subculture bitch said:

does anyone here really think tribe-infecting virus would be playable cuz in a world where raigeki and dark hole exist as nonstaples im failing to see where tribe does anything

Sidedeck card for Mermails. Tribe would otherwise be on my list.

website is bad    2172

fair enough

Me.    57
Just now, ACP said:

Why would you have to use Witch after you pendulum summon? You can search Rescue Rabbit, which seems pretty good, or a utility card like Eccentrick. But maybe I'm wrong and it just sucks.

Either you normal summon witch, or you pendulum summon it. Those are the options. Option 1 cuts off a lot of utility from other cards and option 2 means you probably can't use the searched card that turn. There may be some value to searching rescue rabbit, but especially moving forward (zoodiac in a few weeks) I see the power of the other normal summons being greater than searching a rabbit to pendulum summon.

Me.    57
Just now, ACP said:

Sidedeck card for Mermails. Tribe would otherwise be on my list.

Would actually just suck more than raigeki/dark hole because they lose the normal summon for neptabyss/diva and probably just baits out disruption rather than removing it.

»ACP    33421

Mermails don't have to use the normal summon on Neptabyss/Diva. There are plenty of nutted fields that don't involve those. I feel like Tribe would be better than Raigeki because it's a LV4 water to overlay, plus its ability triggers any Atlantean monster. I could be wrong though.

+Mascis    4554

everyone should start playing traditional. im not gonna say it's a great format but a lot of decks become actually playable when you add stuff like Pot of Greed or Charity to it. it also isn't a format where you play 1 of every banned card and win, that's actually how you lose.

Me.    57
Just now, ACP said:

Mermails don't have to use the normal summon on Neptabyss/Diva. There are plenty of nutted fields that don't involve those. I feel like Tribe would be better than Raigeki because it's a LV4 water to overlay, plus its ability triggers any Atlantean monster. I could be wrong though.

With the way the game is going, normal summoning tribe is going to force the opponent to respond to its summon with one of their disruptions. You one-for-one'd the disruption with tribe. You lost your normal summon. Should have just used raigeki for the same result without losing the normal summon.

1 hour ago, ACP said:

I thought you couldn't use Wonder Wand with Pendulum monsters? Part of the cost is sending the monster to the grave, which you obviously can't do.

»ACP    33421

Alright I take it back, Witch sucks.

captainameowica    3770

Towers

Djinn

Stratos

Morphing jar 2

Damage juggler

Sangan

Tribe infecting virus

Victory dragon

Witch of the black forest

Yata

Elma

Super rejuvenation

Last turn

Return from the dd

Time seal

Any dragon ruler with the errata of "you can only use the effect of ONE dragon ruler once per turn"

+Gojira    1706

stratos and towers are still a bit too strong

Also super rejuvination has actually gotten better for ftks with some new cards, not sure if it's good enough.

Mr Dragon    312

I think 3 Tidal and 3 Stream in Mermails would still be really good. Though  I think you're otherwise right in thinking there's no other good deck that would run just 1 Element.

• Upvote 1