Sign in to follow this  
banefulscolumn

Zaloog Format (August 2003)

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/August_2003_Lists

This the list that came after the release of Pharaonic Guardian.

The most important thing to note is that Graceful Charity moved from 2 to 1.

Pharaonic Guardian was a highly impactful set, adding the following cards to the card pool:

Ring of Destruction (staple, at 1)

King Tiger Wanghu

Sasuke Samurai (kind of redundant with nobleman, but good against MRL recruiters)

Dark Dust Spirit (underrated)

Don Zaloog (used with mystic tomato.  defend with a trap and then push for hand advantage)

Pyramid Turtle (zombies are viable now, but no v lord or kokki yet, hmmm)

Book of Life

Book of Moon (near-staple)

Mirage of Nightmare (near-staple)

Curse of Royal 

Guardian Sphinx

Needle Ceiling

Trap Dustshoot (3 hand removal cards already exist)

Reckless Greed (limited.  so, ehh)

The Gravekeepers (spy engine is great but people didn't discover it yet... hmmm)

Newdoria

Spirit Reaper (was originally ignored for don zaloog, but i used it back then)

Reasoning 

Reaper on the Nightmare

Metamorphosis (tight deck space for goat engine)

Royal Tribute

Barrel Behind the Door (side against burn)

Trap of the Board Eraser (i prefer this over barrel for card advantage)

Terraforming

Raigeki Break

Question

Lava Golem

Rite of Spirit

Nightmare Wheel

Here's the overall useful card pool thus far:

LOB: Raigeki, Dark Hole, Pot of Greed, Fissure, Trap Hole, Swords of Revealing Light, Monster Reborn

MRD: Magician of Faith, Mask of Darkness, Sangan, Witch of the Black Forest, Change of Heart, Heavy Storm, Solemn Judgment, Seven Tools of the Bandit, Summoned Skull, Magic Jammer, Horn of Heaven, Soul Release, Mirror Force

MRL: Delinquent Duo, The Forceful Sentry, Confiscation, Painful Choice, Mystical Space Typhoon, Snatch Steal, Cyber Jar, Megamorph, Mystic Tomato, Giant Rat, Shining Angel, Messenger of Peace

PSV: Jinzo, Imperial Order, Premature Burial, Call of the Haunted, Nobleman of Crossout, Nobleman of Extermination, Dust Tornado, Limiter Removal, Ceasefire, Prohibition, Time Seal, Michizure,

LON: Gemini Elf, Magic Cylinder, Torrential Tribute, Kycoo the Ghost Destroyer, Zombyra the Dark, Bazoo the Soul Eater

LOD: Exiled Force, Fiber Jar, Reinforcement of the Army, Yata-Garasu, Injection Fairy Lily, Bottomless Trap Hole, Airknight Parshath, Creature Swap, Spear Dragon, Dark Ruler Ha Des, Drop Off

Promos: Graceful Charity, Morphing Jar, Royal Decree, Harpie's Feather Duster, Sinister Serpent, Scapegoat, Slate Warrior, Waboku

To make my deck list simple, let's all agree that there's 21 definitive staples in this format.  Yes, some decks won't use a few of these and exceptions can be noted, but overall any lists I make, just assume these cards are in:

1 Sinister Serpent

3 Draw (Pot of Greed, Graceful Charity, Painful Choice

3 Revival (Monster Reborn, Premature Burial, Call of the Haunted)

5 Removal (Raigeki, Dark Hole, Mirror Force, Ring of Destruction, Torrential Tribute)

3 Hand (Delinquent Duo, The Forceful Sentry, Confiscation)

4 Backrow (Mystical Space Typhoon, Harpie's Feather Duster, Heavy Storm, Imperial Order)

2 Control (Snatch Steal, Change of Heart)

Standard Tomato Zaloog Hand Control Deck

Monsters: 3 Gemini Elf, 3 Mystic Tomato, 3 Don Zaloog, 1 Spirit Reaper, 1 Sangan, 1 Witch of the Black Forest, 1 Yata-Garasu, 1 Exiled Force, 1 Kycoo the Ghost Destroyer, 1 Jinzo, 1 Magician of Faith

Spells/Traps: 2 Reinforcement of the Army, 1 Nobleman of Crossout, 1 Book of Moon, 1 Bottomless Trap Hole, 1 Drop Off

Soul Control Deck

Monsters: 1 Dark Ruler Ha Des, 1 Jinzo, 1 Airknight Parshath, 1 Guardian Sphinx, 1 Summoned Skull, 1 Spirit Reaper, 1 Sangan, 1 Witch of the Black Forest, 2 Mystic Tomato, 1 Yata-Garasu, 1 Magician of Faith, 2 Zombyra the Dark

Spells/Traps: 3 Soul Exchange, 2 Bottomless Trap Hole

Early Zombie Deck

Monsters: 2 Patrician of Darkness, 1 Jinzo, 3 Pyramid Turtle, 1 Giant Rat, 1 Spirit Reaper, 1 Sangan, 1 Witch of the Black Forest, 1 Magician of Faith, 1 Exiled Force, 1 Yata-Garasu, 1 Mystic Tomato, 2 Gemini Elf

Spells/Traps: 2 Card of Safe Return, 2 Book of Life

Jazz    4785

I would call this "Yata Format" instead of "Zaloog Format".

It's probably one of the worst of all time. Games are basically decided on who can Yata Lock first.

In hindsight I would think Triple Solemn + Triple Trap Dustshoot would be insane, but honestly this is not a format I am all that interested in exploring.

+rei+    34350

I loved it

Jazz    4785
7 hours ago, banefulscolumn said:

yes, yata existed during lod but zaloog revived the tomato engine.

Sure but is it even worth playing the LOD only format? That's just an awkward transition format to a more streamlined + synergistic metagame that this format provides. There's a reason you posted this format and not the previous one.

I made the decision a little while back to delete+merge some of these old formats on Format Library. LOD got merged into LOD+PGD format because it's more cohesive. I did the same with MRL+PSV+LON.

mark    3104
7 hours ago, banefulscolumn said:

yes, yata existed during lod but zaloog revived the tomato engine.

ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THAT?

• Upvote 1