JC.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links (before this was its own section)

In frognarch decks you can now dump serpent and treeborn with skreech so in a way skreech replaces itself. It also has a synergy with tribute to the doomed which is not a terrible card in a deck with 3 angmarl.

In frognarch decks you can now dump serpent and treeborn with skreech so in a way skreech replaces itself. It also has a synergy with tribute to the doomed which is not a terrible card in a deck with 3 angmarl.

mark    3105

I like that way of thinking because discard fodder also deals with treeborns/skreeches

That said, from experience with (a budget version of the deck, but the same principles), it has a few problems:

- early game. you get blown out by how fast your opp's decks are so you're forced to go sphere kuriboh, econ, headlong etc. to not die 

- too many reactive cards: soul exchange, tribute to the doomed, all rely on your opp already having a field, but don't deal with threats the turn they're summoned

- after the first treeborn/skreech, additional copies become dead and you need a way to turn these cards into something, esp late-game

- also backrow heavy decks are tough although you could tech the spirit that kills facedown s/t's if those decks become big, at the cost of field presence though

so what this deck would needs is either something like hand destruction, or something like raigeki break, to solve these problems. I'm not sure if such cards currently exist (magical mallet, switcheroo, moray of greed come to mind but you'll just draw into the same cards. divine wrath is cool but conflicts with treeborn, eliminating the league only works with spells, etc). It needs a quickplay/trap that turns dead draws into advantage, helps early game and in the opponent's turns, and doesn't make treeborn dead. Any ideas? 

You can try playing frost and flame dragon with phoenix. Backrows shoulnt be an issue with phoenix. FnF helps getting rid of the dead cards as well as the monsters. For water monsters, yomi ship and gale ensure you don't die to aggro and you can/should be playing sphere kuribohs too. 

I am not sure if it would be as consistent as the regular phoenix deck, but you can also run seer as your water targets to increase consistency.

mark    3105

It may have value in dedicated decks, but I don't think it solves the early game problems

The way I see it, soul exchange / treeborn / angmarl are good enough to win the grind game anyway (outside of like drawing into 3+ skreech/treeborn/serpent at some point)

Maybe Rising Energy wouldn't be terrible - does Red-Eyes have any way to counter that (assuming you baited vigilance first)? Works in both player's turns, makes Skreech 3000 if needed, easy to fire so that it doesn't conflict with Treeborn. Skreech would be optimal if you can resolve it consistently (given that it thins the deck by 2 dead draws + gives the serpent as a +1), the problem is if we can assume it'll resolve consistently enough (if they don't attack it, it either becomes slow, or they clear it and it doesn't work, and you can tribute it for a summon but then it also won't activate).

Another thing to like about something like Rising Energy is being able to normal summon something, and discarding Treeborn, giving you multiple layers of play per turn early on. Not sure what to use the normal summon on yet, I'd like something like Dekoichi a lot more if it would work with Headlong/Rising better. Maybe Dimensional Alchemist? 

Anti-Magic Arrows is something that red-eyes decks run 1-2 copies of, so rising isn't that great I imagine. Also, if they econ take your monster, you are going to be taking a lot of damage.

I think the relinquished package is better. As you mentioned it is hard for the opponent to go over a senju/bird + potentially a sphere kuriboh and OTK. The ritual spell also gets rid of the dead treeborns/serpents in hand. Relinquished is also pretty annoying for them to get rid of. Relinkuriboh also seems like a nice addition to the deck. 

I feel like if you can bring out relinquished turn 2 consistently, then that deck would be  extremelly overpowered.

Anti-Magic Arrows is something that red-eyes decks run 1-2 copies of, so rising isn't that great I imagine. Also, if they econ take your monster, you are going to be taking a lot of damage.

I think the relinquished package is better. As you mentioned it is hard for the opponent to go over a senju/bird + potentially a sphere kuriboh and OTK. The ritual spell also gets rid of the dead treeborns/serpents in hand. Relinquished is also pretty annoying for them to get rid of. Relinkuriboh also seems like a nice addition to the deck. 

I feel like if you can bring out relinquished turn 2 consistently, then that deck would be  extremelly overpowered.

mark    3105

relinq is ok but it has troubles of it's own 

you're mixing 2 different combo's in the same deck (relinq+ritual, tribute monster + tribute fodder), both of which suck early game, when all they have in common is treeborn

it may be cool / work if you have exactly: 2 senju 2 bird 3 sphere though, and headlong has sick synergy with that and angmarl. the late game is very good but soul exchange kind of sucks since it does the same as relinq (only really cute to play through 1-2 vigilance with it). Maybe something like 2 relinq 1 soul exchange 3 treeborn is ok. Also no 1 skill really springs out. and the early game is still problematic tbh

regardless of all this: witch + psyckoknesis is still good for monarchs imo and triggers switcheroo, even at something like a 3/1 ratio, solves early game, provides tribute fodder and makes headlong e-con etc. live and psyko should make match-ups such as toon, stall mill, etc. very favorable 

Soul exchange can also be used to get a fodder for the ritual summon, right?

Also, toons are just super annoying to play against. I don't know how a psychic angmarl deck looks like but the pure psychic deck with "no mortal can resist" is doing pretty well already.

Nex    52

Even without no mortal can resist psychic decks just feel really strong rn. Managed to hit Legend 3 with one (could probably manage KoG but tired of the grind) using Keith's Bandit skill. Serene psychic witch just floats for days so you never really lack field presence, and psychokinesis deals anything big or annoying shit like toon kingdom if they couldn't protect it. Wattpsychic fighter is really disruptive even without no mortal by resetting their phoenix/frog or forcing a red-eyes spirit so you can blow it away with a psycho or something else. Only had one of each of destructotron (great against all the anti meta backrow decks that have sprung up) and reinforced human cyborg but even with just that I never really ran into any problems. Bandit was useful for most of my games and was clutch since I found most of my games coming down to them having one or two monsters out with a set being something annoying like e-con, mirror wall, or super rush and me stealing it and just going off from there for the win. 

Edited by Nex

mark    3105
1 hour ago, bringer of death said:

Soul exchange can also be used to get a fodder for the ritual summon, right?

Also, toons are just super annoying to play against. I don't know how a psychic angmarl deck looks like but the pure psychic deck with "no mortal can resist" is doing pretty well already.

yes, but after treeborn / relinq are ready it becomes dead, all these cards compete to do the same thing, even treeborn+e-con outshines it. still a good early game card before you hit treeborn (assuming you hit a tribute), and strong lategame in some scenario's, but between frognarch, relinq, soul exchange, there are way too many combinations of bricks / slow hands / hands that all do the same thing which sucks and can't keep up with the current meta

So I've got Pegasus maxed out and used Toons to get the last card ticket of the season- just in time, too.  Nobody else is maxed.  I DID just unlock Yugi, but I'm wondering if there's anyone else I should train up first?

mark    3105

That's a very general question, it could help to list the characters you currently have and at which levels, and your goals (certain cards, gems, etc.)

I've gotten pretty much every single character available.  Pegasus is just the only one at max, but I have a lot of other characters at Lvl. 35.

(Lvl. 35)

Yami Yugi
Seto Kaiba

Mai Valentine

Téa Gardner
Bandit Keith
Ishizu Ishtar
Odion
Paradox Bros.

(This list is everyone else and their current levels.)

Joey Wheeler: Lvl. 26

Yugi Muto: Lvl. 2

Weevil Underwood: Lvl. 30

Rex Raptor: Lvl. 24
Mako Tsunami: Lvl. 16

Yami Marik: Lvl. 15
Yami Bakura: Lvl. 11

As far as goals...  I'd like to be prepared for the next PVP season.  I made it to Legend 3 before I got that last card ticket, so my confidence is somewhat restored.  I'm not entirely sure how to go about that.  I got this far with Toons (need to get a 3rd Toon Skull, but that's the only thing I'm missing), but they have some glaring weaknesses.  What other FTP or budget decks do you think I could pursue?

dexer008    805

I'd grind mako? 

Water is a pretty good deck, and leveling up mako gets you access to fish depth charge in the late 30's or is his lv 40 drop I believe from memory? Great card, especially with oyster meister as well, and some fantastic water support has been released. You could go with the old legendary ocean decks with levia and the newly added slushy, or hammerhead shark spam, or you can maybe try a water beatdown deck now echoes of silence brings Umirekia, gemini lancer and gagigaio to the mix, making most of your monsters 2000+ and unitarus or whatever its called gives them all piercing. And instead of lost blue breaker you can play that new one, deep sea mine sweeper, seeing it has 300 more atk. This would also make a great auto duel deck as well.

Speaking of echoes of silence, it brings a lot of cool things. I like the level monsters from a nostalgia point of view, also if the opponent doesn't run traps or monster removal via monster effects then Silent Magician lv8 wins you the game. Ultimate insect also looks fun, and can make maybe a hybrid with it and wind beatdown with rising air current, and has natural immunity to insect jade whistle against weevil burn. Vortex trooper and deep sea diver are great cards for digging, expect them to be in exodia decks I reckon. Spear Dragon is cool I guess but it's effect lets it down I think. Spellpower grasp will 100% be abused with cerebus, and it and the wind spellcaster may be able to bring life into that old spellcaster deck, along with magical blast from yugi moto farmming. Last thing to note, and my lease favorite card in the set, bistro butcher has been released giving mill players another effect to work with >.>

-----------------------------------------------------------

Btw guys I got to plat 5 with this last night and picked up my last e-con, what do you think I should change about it? I think chiron is a good card and trying it over the 2nd tornado, it makes my dead fire king islands and if card of the soul is dead it can use that too. Besides that I think the other obvious things might be a second sphere kuriboh and goka, and the third phoenix, just haven't picked them up yet. 

3 FK Yaksha

1 Chiron the Mage
2 Sacred Phoenix of Nepthys 
1 Goka 
1 Sphere Kuriboh
2 Treeborn Frog
1 Hand of Nepthys

1 Planet Pathfinder

3 Fire King Island
3 Enemy Controller
1 Cards of the Soul

1 Wild Tornado

You should be playing 2-3 cards of the soul, especially since you lack the 3rd phoenix. Chiron is redundant imo with phoenix already destroying the backrows but idk your collection. Treeborn and hand also seem iffy but again, it all boils down to your collection.

dexer008    805
7 hours ago, bringer of death said:

You should be playing 2-3 cards of the soul, especially since you lack the 3rd phoenix. Chiron is redundant imo with phoenix already destroying the backrows but idk your collection. Treeborn and hand also seem iffy but again, it all boils down to your collection.

Well imo I think soul is pretty bad, I get the whole max consistency thing, but against some decks like burn it makes the card completely dead in the deck 90% of the time (unless your life falls on a number that might be able to search something else to at least give the card some value), not to mention that this format is 20 cards only, running 3 of a card means you have a really high chance seeing it, so I don't think something like this is essential. I really only run soul in a sense as my third copy, borrowing the theory from the main game that 2 field spell, 1 terraforming is the optimal ratio. If I had the 3rd phoenix I'd cut soul immediately for it, but then again maybe this might be optimal ratio? 

My main gripes with some deck recipes I see, like the nepthys one for example, is the deck maxes out every single card it wants to play, meaning many of the times I can imagine them holding dead cards in hand. This is what chiron was for as well, to sort of bypass this, as I want all my cards to be usable each turn if I can help it. 

When you say collection, just list what you think should be there, there's no use saying to people "I'd help you but idk if it will help if you don't have x card" because people can work towards any card in the mobile game unlike real life I believe. In terms of the deck and common cards I have;

2 phoenix

1 goka

1 sphere kuiboh

2 Wild tornadoa

2 planet pathfinder

treeborn and the mecha phantom beast that summons tokens are the best defensive monsters I have besides sphere kuriboh, other then that I some copies of twin headed behemoth, mogmole and exploder dragon as cheap alternatives to flip monsters like hane-hane or 4 star ladybug I've seen used. 

Red-Eyes Insight is now obtainable from PVP tickets!  I know what I'm building next!

• Upvote 2

Conspire    2391

Yeah I definitely have to agree on maxing Mako next.  His 38 (tuna) and 40 (fish depth charge) rewards are powerful cards in the Mako Hammershark deck.  It's also a very easy deck to make.  The Hammersharks are SR obtainable through card trader, tuna and depth charge are available through Mako's rewards and the other theme cards are R or lower.  The other SR/UR cards are just yomi ship(s) and your staples you should have been chasing/acquired already (mirror wall, metalmorph, SRH, econ.)  It's a very solid deck at all ranks.

Mako it is.  Guarantee I'm gonna be spending his gems on Crimson Kingdom, though.  It'll cost all three of my SR tickets, but I'm building Red-Eyes one way or another!

I see no reason not to play the "max" amount of phoenix. Without it, what are you playing, really? Your deck is just too fair if you don't have the phoenix plays. Also, you are perfectly fine with drawing multiple phoenix. 

Many people who run the phoenix deck complain of bricking. I can also confirm that. From what I have heard from them 3 phoenix 2 soul is the most optimal. I ran that last season but now I play 3-3 and it is doing pretty well. You do not care about dead cards of the soul, if you have 1-2 phoenix cycled, you should win anyways.

I think that Dimension Gate might be some good tech in Toons.  I was able to defeat a Phoenix Beatdown deck because I used one to save Toon Summoned Skull.  I've got two copies in there now.

On the same note, Toon Barrel Dragon is a cool card, but I don't think it's quite what the deck needs.  In fact, I think its biggest problem is actually not being able to summon a Toon when Kingdom is present.  More often than not, I lose because I can't draw into any of my low-Level monsters in time.  What Toons really need is another monster they can Special Summon for free.

Inti    79

Yeah I agree the best duelist to Max is Mako for Tuna and Depth. Otherwise the only other ones worth are Bandit Keith for Time Machine and Pegasus for Toon Kingdom. I do think Yugi Muto's Lv40 reward card Relinkuriboh gives Relinquished a significant boost. I am currently working on a Relinquished Restart or Switcheroo deck that uses 3x Psychic Witch with 2x Psychokinesis so far in testing it a bit it might be better than Exemplar Relinquished.

CT3000    28

I'm so excited for GX, this game could change dramatically really soon. Not too big on this new box, Silent Magician looks cool but kinda meh imo. Hoping they put in Horus or something, that could really wreck in this game.

Deranking everyone by 10 ranks seems to have pissed off most people but I'm fine with it tbh, you'll get more benefits from ranking up, and we won't have anymore "30-40 wins" KoG players anymore. Makes it feel like you have to work for it. On my alt I made the cheesiest Life Cost 0 deck with Odion going from Silver 1 to Gold 1 undefeated, pretty hilarious lol