JC.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links (before this was its own section)

FINALLY!  I just got my first King of Games, guys!

And before anyone says anything about my choice of deck, I had FUN with this.  One of the wins that got me here was against a 30-card control deck, and THAT was a difficult duel!  I've always loved mill decks.

Screenshot_2017-09-29-02-31-51.png

Screenshot_2017-09-29-02-38-51.png

• Upvote 1
  • Pride 1

Grimey    8115

Signed in for the 3000 gems

Too much grinding for me to consider playing again 

mark    3105

Maybe I'm playing the wrong decks but I fail to believe warm worm mill isn't busted as fuck. If starlight can reach KoG with only 2 worm 0 limit reverse no winged Kuriboh cup of ace etc then that's impressive if you ask me. I also literally can't remember ever winning the match-up, maybe I won a few time back when Dino/Water was still the meta, but even then I remember losing all the time. What happens is you summon 2/3 guys and your attacks get blocked by worm / backrow for 3/4 turns and they resolve worm 3/4 times with limit reverse and then you lose. Not to mention if they cup of ace + the blue guy to let you draw 5. Literally how do you win, unless if you guys are all maining 3 Divine wrath or something and I'm behind?

knives1990    262

The matchup for just about anything is cancerous, only way I win consistently is with Red Eyes and drawing ultimate providence 2 times

mark    3105

I want to ask the help of creative players, budget players, and/or people that have made KoG and are familiair with the current top decks and how to beat them. 

I've returned to this game about a week ago (and since I'm FTP and haven't kept up for like 1-2 months, I'm behind on cards by a lot, also bought the wrong packs a while ago fml). 

I got till Platinum but I'm stuck there. Admittedly some of my losses were to disconnects or misplays, but I feel like my decks can be improved upon, even given the limitations I have when it comes to my cardpool. I'm just trying to get to King of Games without spending gems (want to save them until I'm more sure on what i want to build, that has staying value.) 

That said, I'm not trying to look at what I don't have, I'm trying to look at what I have and work from there. I've tested all 3 of these decks in Platinum and they were all stagnant (although the Psychic has the most potential out of them, if I keep using that with the build I have now or a better version of it, I may be able to break it - but it still loses to a lot of gay shit that red eyes wouldn't lose to). 

First picture:

I have 3 Soul Exchange 2 Treeborn Frog 3 Witch so a tribute deck comes to mind. As powerful as it is, 0 Sphere Kuriboh (and 0 Angmarl to a lesser extend) hurts a lot. You obviously can't play backrow unless you cut Treeborn Frog which is the most powerful card in the deck, but the E-Con/Windstorm sometimes isn't enough, or gets awkward. There's also uncertainty in decks you'll face, against red-eyes - 2400 atk decks you need 2500+ beaters, so essentially everything under that becomes dead, but against toon you want Gravity Behemoth and against backrow decks you want Fenghuang. Skill could be anything such as Restart, Destiny Draw. Went with Parasite since I think bricking my opp on 1 draw while dealing 1000 damage and making Soul Exchange live (at the cost of blocking an attack at other times) seemed worth it against decks that don't play 1-tribute monsters, although the nerf of sending only 1-2 is kind of lackluster. 

Second Picture: 

Arguably the best deck out of the 3. Overdriver is absolutely nuts. I have a 3rd but I cut it because I'd be forced to run an extremely gay lv3 psychic or a Jar of Avarice (which is horrendous early game) to not run out of targets. 2 Divine Wrath 2 Psychokenesis is simply there because I'm tired of auto-losing to Mill and Toon. I only have 1 Senju 1 Bird. The S/T line-up is chosen so that it works with the 1400 floaters as well as with protecting Relinquished (Hence the econ/Windstorm/headlong over Metalmorph, but Mirror Wall is just nuts anyway). I still feel like this deck has some problems such as burn (LP costs), sometimes drawing wrong combinations of cards a certain points in the game, as well as "running out of gas" when they play mirror wall + big guys + removal for Relinquished. I had Soul Exchange in here but it cloggs a lot it competes for spots with Psychokenesis, but I feel like 2 of that deals with "any aids decks". LP gain skill so I don't have to play Aegis. 

Third picture. 

0 Wyvern 1 Vigilance. This deck should be the best out of the 3 but I'm getting cucked by a rediculous amount of anti-red eyes decks. Literally the buster blader fusion sucks dick against anything else but it auto-wins vs Red-Eyes: your only outs are Blue Dragon Summoner + Metalmorph, or special summoning Red-Eyes in atk and then activating Divine Wrath when the Blader fusion gets triggered to put it to defense. Absolutely gay as fuck. Also have 1 Eliminating the League that I could play, but I found it dead early on since basically only the 3rd spell or so you draw is dead / discard worthy. I struggle in mirrors as well since they have more resources with Wyvern / gozuki / more Vigilances than I do. Mirror wall is a bitch as well: I played 3 Ultimate Providence until I realized discarding a trap to negate Mirror Wall isn't even worth it, so I cut it for Divine Wrath which is more consistent. I do actually need like 1 or 2 wins for the 100 wins so I basically have a 2nd Vigilance, but I'm not sure if that's enough. 

Some other cards I have that I think are

noteworthy: 

UR

3 Supervise

2 Garlandolf

3 Dimensional Alchemist

2 Escape from the D.D.

2 Gandora

3 BEWD (3 Kaibaman)

SR

1 Heavy Knight of the Flame

3 Pumprincess

1 Kidmodo Dragon

2 Shard of Greed

3 Wild Tornado

1 Red Eyes Zombie Dragon

2 Winged Kuriboh

3 Adhesion Trap Hole

1 Il Blud

2 Goblin Zombie 

1 Cobra Jar

3 Burning Land

2 Mask of the Accursed

3 Metalmorph

3 Enemy Controller

I may have forgotten some or have some that I didnt know were relevant, so just ask. But it's pretty clear that I haven't really bought any of the latest boxes outside of the Treeborn Frog one. 

Help me out to reach KoG please and let me prove that you can leave this game and  reach KoG while being F2P :) my plan is to be competive by the time KC cup starts and to help out the community as well like I did last time. 

IMG_1986.PNGt

IMG_1987.PNG

IMG_1988.PNG

dexer008    805

I'm still on the belief that Phoenix is the best F2P deck, just consistent backrow removal is so valuable against cancer decks like mill and burn, not to mention wild tornado is decent monster removal and doesn't cost you a discard like tribute to doom, though super rush is probably better in that regard, but is easier to play around rush and tornado is more versatile.

With 3000 gems from fx download you can probably pick up a phoenix easy, maybe 2 if you're lucky, not to mention more heavy knights who is a decent monster.

You alternative though could use the gems to pick up a wyvern, red eyes is still very good and  if you pick up another vigilance or 2 you are pretty set. Monster removal might be better for you as well to deal with buster bladed decks, and also for against toon barrel dragon and 3SD. You also might be good with storm or Providence to deal with backrow alongside vigilance

• Upvote 1

knives1990    262

the best Red Eyes decks I've used or played against are balance with 4 Red Eyes and 1 wyvern. You're spot on with spells but the traps really need to be mostly negators. 3 vigilance 2 providence is really good, the remaining 2 spots I use metalmorph as you have done also. It has a well rounded matchup against the field, against cancer decks you standby phase spirit so you're vigilance is live on the first card they play

If you were around and unlocked Yami Marik, then you might be better off going with a modern version of Weevil Burn.  It combines the classic formula with Lava Golem and sometimes strategies from the old Téa burn decks.  If not, you could also try building the mill deck I used.  It does take some thought and planning, but it CAN beat a lot of stuff in the current meta, even things that a lot of folks think it shouldn't be able to win against, like Phoenix.

If you want to avoid those, perhaps you could build something Psychic-based.  You may need to acquire a few more cards, but that shouldn't be too difficult since Konami's going all Oprah Winfrey with the gems this week.  Relinquished might also be a good deck to build since there's not much in the way of back row hate outside of Phoenix decks, and even those shouldn't be a problem when you realize that they actually don't start the full assault until their third turn.  First turn usually pops a Phoenix with the Field Spell, second has the Phoenix come back to nuke everything, but then the Fire King Island destroys it again (and any other monsters they have).  Third turn is when Phoenix comes back and stays put.  Survive those three turns and your chances of winning go up quite dramatically.

One thing though: If you build Relinquished, you MUST take into account battling other monsters.  With the current metagame, battling is the best way to deal with Relinquished, so you need to ensure that you don't lose Relinquished somehow.  Interdimensional Matter Transporter is one idea, but you may want to consider cards that modify ATK as well.

Red-Eyes Classic decks use Counter Traps and beatdown tactics to overwhelm the opponent.  However, they're not too popular right ow.

Red-Eyes Zombie decks are all the rage at the moment because of how easily they can swarm the field.  They can also get out a Gemini Summoned Heavy Knight of the Flame quickly enough to deal with Special Summoned monsters.

3SD has seen a resurgence in popularity thanks to Toon Barrel Dragon.  It's a Class 4 Toon as well.  It isn't Special Summoned like the originals, but it won't self-destruct if Toon World gets destroyed.  Toon Barrel Dragon's effect is also an upgrade over the originals in that it can target ANY card, not just monsters.  The deck utilizes Toon Kingdom to protect from targeting cards like Enemy Controller, and from general destruction.

Phoenix decks are also a popular choice for F2P duelists, but as I pointed out, they have a huge flaw in the strategy.  The best way to use this deck, of course, uses the Field Spell, but you shouldn't rely on it too much IMO.

Jaden's E-HEROs might be a powerful deck if you're willing to train the boy and unlock as many of his Fusions as possible.  In that case, I would also use his skill Where the Heroes Dwell to deal with high ATK problem cards.

mark    3105
1 minute ago, knives1990 said:

the best Red Eyes decks I've used or played against are balance with 4 Red Eyes and 1 wyvern. You're spot on with spells but the traps really need to be mostly negators. 3 vigilance 2 providence is really good, the remaining 2 spots I use metalmorph as you have done also. It has a well rounded matchup against the field, against cancer decks you standby phase spirit so you're vigilance is live on the first card they play

I do have the Red eyes Zombie so I can play that. I did that at first but cut it for Blue Dragon Summoner because it will search the Red Eyes anyway but it has some value with Mirror Wall / Metalmorph If I go that route and cut Mirror Wall that could be a viable approach, however I'm also worried about drawing 2/3 red eyes that get stuck in my hand. I'll try the deck you suggested out though as I played that before, but the 2nd Vigilance may be needed to push it over the edge. 

As far as Mirror Wall vs negation goes, I think you're losing matches one way or another no matter which of the 2 you choose. Mirror Wall has never been dead and it's especially useful in the mirror and vs 2500+ rediculous monster .decks. 

I also wonder how you use Providence. Do you just attack and negate their backrow, or do you save it for their power plays? I realized that if I'm attacking into a Mirror Wall I never want to discard Spirit or Vigilance since they could do the same thing, so you're really only discarding your 3 other traps (providence, 2 Metalmorph). You can use it on spells late game but are there any spells worth negating? Since your first spell is obviously live. It you mainly negate monsters then Divine wrath is better. I guess if you negate mostly mosnter and sometimes traps then Providence becomes better again, but it isn't without problems either. 

mark    3105
15 minutes ago, dexer008 said:

I'm still on the belief that Phoenix is the best F2P deck, just consistent backrow removal is so valuable against cancer decks like mill and burn, not to mention wild tornado is decent monster removal and doesn't cost you a discard like tribute to doom, though super rush is probably better in that regard, but is easier to play around rush and tornado is more versatile.

With 3000 gems from fx download you can probably pick up a phoenix easy, maybe 2 if you're lucky, not to mention more heavy knights who is a decent monster.

You alternative though could use the gems to pick up a wyvern, red eyes is still very good and  if you pick up another vigilance or 2 you are pretty set. Monster removal might be better for you as well to deal with buster bladed decks, and also for against toon barrel dragon and 3SD. You also might be good with storm or Providence to deal with backrow alongside vigilance

I have to admit that I really dislike Phoenix since I practically never lose vs it no matter what I play, and the deck just seems underwhelming to me - although I can see how the free wins vs toon and backrow based decks are a huge benefit so I can see why you like the deck. But I don't want to invest into it (if i buy anything it'll be the latest pack). 

I could pick up a Wyvern and reach KoG for sure but again I don't think that set is relevant, and I already feel like red eyes are slipping from being the best deck to being powercrept by new packs and counters people have found (such as playing 2500+ atk guys). 

I definitely think you're right here and I'll add the 2nd Vigilance for sure. Don't have the 3rd cause I feel the legendary duelists drop rates are lower during the X1,5 exp event (small sample size no real evidence but I couldnt get shit out of kaiba) so I gave up on farming for it for now. If I go with monster removal such as storm and headlong or tribute to the doomed, the problem is that I can't play balance anymore (since right now I'm guaranteed to open 1 spell that gets red eyes in the grave and either gets me a spirit or 2 draws which means likely a spirit). I'm not entirely opposed to switching to a deck with restart for example but you're going to take 10/20% losses to bricks you wouldn't otherwise so now your deck has to win 10/20% more games elsewhere based on added power - and I don't think that's the case unless it I add a shitload or Wyvern / Gozuki (neither or which I have). Alternatively I can try the suggestion you and knives gave in Providence, I already reached platinum with it but I guess I just got titled from being stuck and that may have biased my judgment on it when I took it out. 

mark    3105

@Starlight Warrior

I'm not opposed to playing burn or mill and I in fact prefer it since I think those can be pretty good, but I don't have the cards and/or haven't found the best way to do it yet. Ye I'm dumb for missing marik and small yugi, will have to wait till next event for them. 

I agree with your analysis and those + the ones I mentioned are the decks I faced so far. What changes would you suggest to my Psychic / Relinquished deck? I do believe that the 3 Witch engine is really good even without Teleporter, for early game field presence as well as being able to play 1-2 Psychokenesis. You can do cool things like suiciding into 1400 guys, or attacking over smaller guys and not caring if they mwall or econ to get over it since it replaces itself anyway. Card is really cool. 

I also see potential in fusions and I believe fusions will become the best deck eventually which is why I'm hesitant on spending gems on any set other then the latest one, with king of the swamp. 

• Thanks 1

mark    3105

Thanks for all the answers so far! I'm taking everything everyone said into account and even if I seem to rebut some of the things right now I may come back to it later - I'm just in the proces of finding out what's good and not right now so my opinion on cards and decks changes a lot atm. 

knives1990    262
3 hours ago, mark said:

I do have the Red eyes Zombie so I can play that. I did that at first but cut it for Blue Dragon Summoner because it will search the Red Eyes anyway but it has some value with Mirror Wall / Metalmorph If I go that route and cut Mirror Wall that could be a viable approach, however I'm also worried about drawing 2/3 red eyes that get stuck in my hand. I'll try the deck you suggested out though as I played that before, but the 2nd Vigilance may be needed to push it over the edge. 

As far as Mirror Wall vs negation goes, I think you're losing matches one way or another no matter which of the 2 you choose. Mirror Wall has never been dead and it's especially useful in the mirror and vs 2500+ rediculous monster .decks. 

I also wonder how you use Providence. Do you just attack and negate their backrow, or do you save it for their power plays? I realized that if I'm attacking into a Mirror Wall I never want to discard Spirit or Vigilance since they could do the same thing, so you're really only discarding your 3 other traps (providence, 2 Metalmorph). You can use it on spells late game but are there any spells worth negating? Since your first spell is obviously live. It you mainly negate monsters then Divine wrath is better. I guess if you negate mostly mosnter and sometimes traps then Providence becomes better again, but it isn't without problems either. 

3 vigilance for sure. Should be easy to get with it being in the SR rewards now

providence is basically just a 4-5th vigilance in that you just save it for the card that beats you. I often keep a spirit in hand to have more negation options as well. Like if they windstorm/econ I usually just let that stuff go. I'm only really negating monsters and mirror wall usually, or if I have multiple spirits i let something die to revive it again (playing around the backrow more) Its one of those cards along with vigilance that you gun against cancer but you save vs real decks

• Upvote 1

dexer008    805

This turned out to be a very thoughtful discussion lol

One thing I wanted to point out though about phoenix decks, you actually can very easy play around fire king island's nuke, for example 2 in hand (which might seem like a brick), can mean destroying the island before phoenix comes back, in which case you rely on backrow or sphere kuriboh to keep you alive (can be risk cause of red-eyes though), although another play go along with is setting yaksha as there's a good chance they will attack it, in which case just pop your field spell. Good players though can read this play and not attack, but if your opponent doesn't read it, you are in a pretty good spot. Something I've been testing with pretty decent results in phoenix is vortex trooper, its a +1 when popped by island and helps you thin faster, and with the above play, if your opponent doesn't attack thinking its yaksha you can set it as a bluff, and still save your 1800 attacker in hand while drawing 1 when fire island nukes. 

You could also use storm for extra s/t removal, it may seem excessive in phoenix, but it's another way to make good use of the island that would be destroyed, not to mention another option to trigger wild tornado as well. 

Oh and hey, another generally easy to f2p deck I forgot about is ninja's, they're a very controlling deck with you're usually backrow protection, and with white ninja and ninja grandmaster sasuke, get free monster removal in, and can deal with backrow/ phoenix wing blast them with red-dragon's effect. 3SD and beatdown are usually the best strategies to use it with. 

• Upvote 1

mark    3105

Ninja's are nuts but I thought they were expensive as hell? 

IRLAlex    116

There are two versions of Phoenix that seem to be in play, there are those goka decks that focus on cycling it asap without regard to cards, then there is one closer to mine/faints which really use the hell out of High King of Fire Island (or whatever the trap card is). It has significant OTK potential and often manages to clear people down to 1 card (they're monster, first turn). I get close matches with red-eyes (beatdown variant is good for this) or wrecked by toons because well toon kingdom is pretty cancer.

I'd also second Cyber Angels from Alexis. Those cards look potentially amazing.

Edited by IRLAlex

NoName(x)    0
46 minutes ago, mark said:

Ninja's are nuts but I thought they were expensive as hell? 

You need 3 of the UR Trap. So yeah not very cheap

Since you have a Sonic Bird and a Manju you definitely should make a Cyber Angel Deck. Just get the cards and play Alexis to lv40.

I believe that it is hands down the best deck so far that existed in Duel Links and also not very expensive.

mark    3105

Ye I was discussing with Inti how the deck has a lot of potential. I'll definitely start collecting those cards as well. 

• Upvote 1

dexer008    805
1 hour ago, NoName(x) said:

You need 3 of the UR Trap. So yeah not very cheap

Since you have a Sonic Bird and a Manju you definitely should make a Cyber Angel Deck. Just get the cards and play Alexis to lv40.

I believe that it is hands down the best deck so far that existed in Duel Links and also not very expensive.

While probably ideal you can get away with 1, also the new spell from the new set can help search and set it from the deck. 

Also cyber angles are sick addition, can't wait to grind :P

• Pride 1

Nex    52
On 9/29/2017 at 2:42 AM, Starlight Warrior said:

FINALLY!  I just got my first King of Games, guys!

And before anyone says anything about my choice of deck, I had FUN with this.  One of the wins that got me here was against a 30-card control deck, and THAT was a difficult duel!  I've always loved mill decks.

Thanks for posting this just made it to KoG this morning with it (substituted a crystal seer for a third warm worm). Normally I hated using mill since I always would run out of resources  and get overwhelmed but DNA check up was a great addition. If I could I'd fit in the second sphere kuriboh it was just nice to have that insurance when they managed to breakthrough. 

Faint    5973

The gx characters are really copl

Just got mokuba as well unlocked which is pretty sweet

• Pride 1

Grimey    8115
16 hours ago, knives1990 said:

Shot solemn scolding now a reward card 

this is fucking gross