JC.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links

1940 posts in this topic

Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Links is relatively new free to play mobile game that offers a different type of dueling experience.

Duel Links differs from traditional Yu-Gi-Oh in the following ways:

- The card pool is much smaller. For instance, there are currently no Tuners, Xyz, or Pendulum monters.

- It uses the Speed Duel format, which differs in the following ways:

• There is no MP2. Your turn ends after the Battle Phase.
  • Only 3 Monster Card Zones
  • Only 3 Spell/Trap Zones
  • Start with 4 cards.
  • Start with 4000 Life Points.
  • Minimum and Maximum Deck Size Halved (20-30 vs. 40-60)
  • 5 Card Extra Deck

- Each duelist has a variety of "Skils" they can use to swing the duel in their favour. They are unlocked by levelling the character up (which uses a similar Duel Assessment System as the old Game Boy and DS games). Some examples of skills are that Mai can see the top card of her deck at all times and Mako starts the duel with Umi on the field.

Gameplay is quick due to the Speed Duel format, but there are very few decks designed to create unbeatable fields or OTK (the one exception I can think of is a Cyber Stein deck, but the duelist needs to be under 1000 LP for it to go off).

Here's is a basic (probably not optimized) template for what's considered the 'best' deck:

Dino Beatdown (Rex Raptor; Skill puts Jurassic World into play at the start of the duel)

3 Two-Headed King Rex

3 Crawling Dragon #2

3 Jerry Beans Man

3 Order to Charge

3 Reinforcements

2 Twister

2 Michizure

1 Shard of Greed

While I don't wnat to make an entire deck-building guide in the OP, here are some examples of other strong generic cards in the format:

- Wonder Balloon

- Enemy Control

- Riryoku Field (meta tech due to an Equip variant of Dinos)

The game currently has three sets in rotation. In the near future, two of those will rotate out and two more will come in. That being said, this is not a rotation game. Like with the regular Yu-Gi-Oh! game, you'll be able to use old cards even when they aren't directly available from packs in the store any longer. They have made room for a ban list, but no cards currently sit on it.

So, my purpose for making this thread: is anyone else playing the game? What have been your impressions so far? If there are other people playing, I'd be happy to talk about deck strategies or duel against you.

----

Edited in:

My tier list looks something like:

- Dinosaur Kingdom

- Naturia

- Rituals (most variants)

- Bazoon

- Umi

- Weevil

- Clown Control

- Fae

- Cyber Stein OTK

I don't have a large enough sample with most of the decks to feel confident, though.

Edit by mark:
We now have a Discord chat for duel links as well. 
https://discordapp.com/invite/010LERig7M1mW4mNi

I downloaded it few days back. First impression was wtf are these bullshit animations every time I make a move. But I managed to turn them off eventually and the game became playable.

I must say dueling against AI is pure cancer. What makes it worse is that you need to do it. 

I went for PvP as soon as it let me. My deck was pretty shit but the level of average player there is so shitty that I reached golden rank 1 on day 2. Using only the cards I got from the packs I bought from the starting money. Which is cool that they at least give you enough in the beggining so you can buy a lot of packs.

I got some good cards from it. But they are so few. I basically cannot move from rank 1 golden because I get destroyed by people having much better cards than I do. And they are not good, it's still 30 cards decks featuring they favourite dark magician bullshit, but I still lose because their cards are better than mine.

I guess once you have an access to more cards and actually have some removal the game can be pretty fun. But I dont see how you can do it easily.

Ps: and thw lack of mp2 is stupid as well

I would 100% max out on Enemy Controller. Gets your attack through, blocks any opposing attack while putting the monster on defense so you can kill it next turn, and has OTK possibilities (tribute a monster that already attacked to get their monster and attack for game, I don't know if huge defense monsters exist but it can get them in attack as well). Not sure if I like Michizure. Seems like it's a 1 for 1 at best (instead of a +1, with Reinforcements/E-con). 

But to be honest I don't play so I don't really know the cards available etc, but it seems like the focus should be on +ing off your opponent by battle. I also see there's a interaction between Twister vs continous spell. You could for example choose a strategy without continous cards to make their Twisters dead (although idk if they can still hit the field spell), otherwise you could choose to play so much continous cards that you they won't have enough Twisters to deal with them. If your monsters are stronger than theirs they'll always have to waste battle cards to keep up, and even when they play Reinforcements you can chain Reinforcements, when they Enemy Controller you can chain Enemy Controller, so you're always +ing on them. Maxing on Shard of Greed or not would depend on your strategy, how much Twister your opponent plays, and how much turns these duels take to begin with. I'm not sure if it's necessary but it doesn't seem bad either, especially to dig for your powercards. 

How much turns do duels usually take? What other cards and decks are commonly played by opponents? Even if it's bad, I'll still get me an idea of what the meta is like

it's fun to play on mobile when you've got time on the train or something but it's just too hard to get cards to take it seriously

1 dollar/euro for 3 cards (or  0.8 if you buy 30 packs) is prohibitively expensive when you know konami's going to stop supporting this game in the next 2 years or so...

i just bought a bunch of cards from the water pack with the starting gems you get and built mako.dek

2 hours ago, The_Be(a)sT said:

I must say dueling against AI is pure cancer. What makes it worse is that you need to do it. 

that's what auto-duel is for

4 hours ago, The_Be(a)sT said:

I went for PvP as soon as it let me. My deck was pretty shit but the level of average player there is so shitty that I reached golden rank 1 on day 2. Using only the cards I got from the packs I bought from the starting money. Which is cool that they at least give you enough in the beggining so you can buy a lot of packs.

I got some good cards from it. But they are so few. I basically cannot move from rank 1 golden because I get destroyed by people having much better cards than I do. And they are not good, it's still 30 cards decks featuring they favourite dark magician bullshit, but I still lose because their cards are better than mine.

I guess once you have an access to more cards and actually have some removal the game can be pretty fun. But I dont see how you can do it easily.

Ps: and thw lack of mp2 is stupid as well

Once you reach a certain rank (definitely not too high up), you'll unlock Auto Duel, which allows you to let the AI play your deck against other AI opponents. The AI is definitely not perfect; for instance, it seems to never use Secrets of the Gallant and it has a tendency to pay the 2000LP cost of Mirror Wall more than I think it should, but it does alright overall. Exceptions to this are quests where you need to drag games out, such as Play 5 Traps in One Duel, and against the Circus Trick deck, because the AI doesn't seem able to realize how to get around it.

I've hit the same wall as you; breezed up to Gold 1, and now I'm getting knocked down. Although, I am at least losing to constructed decks (mostly Rex) rather than 30 card 'stuff' decks.

To get good cards, you have a few options:

- Stage Up/Character Level Up Bonuses. I would get every duelist to level 10 for the 50 gems if you're looking for more packs. Depending on where your deck is at, your next option would be to either look around for 'ok' cards like Skull Mariner from levelling up Mako, or, if you have solid monsters already, leveling up Bandit Keith for Metalmorph or Mai Valentine for Windstorm of Etaqua. Note: these rewards are at Level 25, so it'll probably take some time, my current highest is Tea at 20, and that was only because I thought her Life Cost 0 skill was permanent and free Mirror Wall sounded way too broken to pass up.

- Grind against Level 40 Legendary Duelists. If you haven't gotten to them yet, don't worry. Getting Stage Ups is pretty easy right up until around the point where they start to appear. You'll need something decent to get started, but if you have a deck that can beat them, you can grind for cards like Two Headed King Rex and Crawling Dragon #2.

- Don't forget about the card trader. Cards like Riryoku are strong and can only be obtained through it.

2 hours ago, mark said:

I would 100% max out on Enemy Controller. Gets your attack through, blocks any opposing attack while putting the monster on defense so you can kill it next turn, and has OTK possibilities (tribute a monster that already attacked to get their monster and attack for game, I don't know if huge defense monsters exist but it can get them in attack as well). Not sure if I like Michizure. Seems like it's a 1 for 1 at best (instead of a +1, with Reinforcements/E-con). 

But to be honest I don't play so I don't really know the cards available etc, but it seems like the focus should be on +ing off your opponent by battle. I also see there's a interaction between Twister vs continous spell. You could for example choose a strategy without continous cards to make their Twisters dead (although idk if they can still hit the field spell), otherwise you could choose to play so much continous cards that you they won't have enough Twisters to deal with them. If your monsters are stronger than theirs they'll always have to waste battle cards to keep up, and even when they play Reinforcements you can chain Reinforcements, when they Enemy Controller you can chain Enemy Controller, so you're always +ing on them. Maxing on Shard of Greed or not would depend on your strategy, how much Twister your opponent plays, and how much turns these duels take to begin with. I'm not sure if it's necessary but it doesn't seem bad either, especially to dig for your powercards. 

How much turns do duels usually take? What other cards and decks are commonly played by opponents? Even if it's bad, I'll still get me an idea of what the meta is like

Michizure is alright, but it is definitely fighting for the weakest card slot in the example deck list. Enemy Controller is a very strong card as well, and is something I probably need to start using more. Defensive monsters in this game are things like 4-Starred Ladybug of Doom, we don't have anything with high defence like Prevent Rat or Giant Soldier of Stone.

Twister is pretty important due to the combat-oriented nature of the game. If you start off with a De-Spell or Twister in your hand, you're effectively nerfing half of the monsters in the opponent's deck. Twister is better than De-Spell since it can also remove a Mirror Wall or Order to Charge before you throw monsters into them.

I think it would be normal for games to until around turn 8-10 (4/5 turns each). Shard of Greed needs 5 turns to go off, so it's only good if you start with it. That being said, it is still a free +1 and the game is decided by your battle traps, so getting access to them is probably a priority.

As for other decks, I'll just rattle off some examples of what I've seen. Mai has a Harpies Hunting Ground skill, but it is unlocked as a random reward rather than by level up, so it's rare. I think this deck is probably alright due to the importance of battle tricks that I mentioned above. I've seen a gimmicky Weevil deck that uses a skill to shuffle 3 Parasite Paracide into your deck and then uses Piercing monsters to finish you off. Odion can deal 200 points of damage every time a trap activates, which lends itself to running cycle like Jar of Greed and a few beaters + battle traps to get over the opponent. Bandit Keith allows you to shuffle a card back into your deck to draw a new one twice per game, so he seems like the character most suited to gimmick combos like Ritual Summons or Flute of Summoning Dragons.

Mako is probably the next best bet, though. One of the three expansions out currently one is dedicated to Water monsters, and it features cards such as:

Ocean Lord - Deadalus

Suijin

Stray Lambs

Unshaven Angler

Big Wave Small Wave

Piercing Moray

Needle Sunfish

Yomi Ship

High Tide Gyojin (which beats the Dinosaurs if both field spells are destroyed)

Moray of Greed

The reason it isn't Rex tier is that the power play, Deadalus, gets blown out by Order to Charge. Mako Beatdown isn't as effective as Dino beatdown because Jurassic World creates bigger beaters and non-themed cards such as Jerry Beans Man can be played by both sides equally.

1 hour ago, Sophocles said:

it's fun to play on mobile when you've got time on the train or something but it's just too hard to get cards to take it seriously

1 dollar/euro for 3 cards (or  0.8 if you buy 30 packs) is prohibitively expensive when you know konami's going to stop supporting this game in the next 2 years or so...

i just bought a bunch of cards from the water pack with the starting gems you get and built mako.dek

that's what auto-duel is for

Yeah, I wouldn't buy packs for this. If you want to put money in the game, there's a $2 3 packs + 1 SR deal which maybe just falls into the 'it's $2 w/e lol' category, but I think you can get a decent deck after like a week without any investment. I'm also playing a Mako deck currently, since the water pack is simply more accessible than grinding out 3 order to charge and the 6 dinos you need.

This all depends on cardpool and meta etc, but in a vacuum, based on the cards you've shown me I'd say:

- Shard of Greed isn't worth playing, because instead you could play any continuous spell that actually lets your monsters get more ATK, and if that means you can even get 1 attack through, or your opponent has to play a battle S/T where they otherwise wouldn't have, you're already at a '1 for 1', everything after that is just a +. Shard of Greed however is useless the first 2 turns. Not even talking about when you draw it mid/late game which is outright terrible and dead. This of course implies enough good continuous spells exist to begin with. Also the logical conclusion is to max on Twister, and maybe even play De-Spell depending on how much continous spells you expect. To be honest only reason to play Shard of Greed would be to bait opposings Twister/De-Spell so your good continuous spells get through, but that seems gimmicky. 

- The best S/T are S/T that will make you win a battle that you'd otherwise lose, simply because you go from a -1 to a +1. So I'm talking about maxing out on Enemy Controller, Reinforcements, etc. Of course you still need enough 'outs' in your deck to certain monsters, so that could be reasons to play destruction, but generally speaking if your monsters have higher ATK and you have more continous S/T and battle S/T, you will win simply because you +1 everytime you battle, which seems to be 'broken'. Does Mirror Wall work when you use it in a response to an attack? If so I'd say it's a 3-off as well, because you can simply use it as a Sakuretsu Armor then let it die next turn. I mean with 4000 LP I assume the most you could do is leave it one additional turn anyway. This means I wouldn't play Michizure/Order to Charge, unless if the meta dictates that you have to (so that's a meta-call on there being monsters that you can't get rid of otherwise yes/no). You're achieving the same as with Econ/Mirror Wall/Reinforcements except your monster dies for no reason. 

- Don't like the water cards at all except for High Tide Gyojin probably. Too much destruction out there for these fancy plays I think, high chance of going -2 for nothing or not drawing the right pieces.

Other than that I probably agree with your strategy and the fact Rex seems superior over the other decks. I'd consider the tribute monsters if there were high ATK 1-tribute monsters, and/or cards such as Soul Exchange but I assume they aren't available since you didn't mention them. Gaining advantage through battle and beating your opponent down ASAP seems the way to go since there are too much outs to 'combo's'. 

I just started playing this yesterday.  Currently just grinding the AI and stages to collect gems and build the collection.

Game seems interesting and fun.  Kinda like sealed Yu-Gi-Oh!

I haven't played any pvp games yet but my first guess on Enemy Controller is that it's a good card but lack of MP2 will hurt it.  Not being able to attack, chain EC to something and MP2 tribute the monster you get makes it less versatile.

Theoretical best deck (keeping in mind that there are people who believe WATER to be the best) would probably consist of:

3 Crawling Dragon #2

3 Two-Headed King Rex

2 Element Saurus

2 Enemy Controller

3 Order to Charge

3 Riryoku

3 Mirror Wall

1 Windstorm of Etaqua

3 Order to Charge is for duels against WATER.

0 Twister because Mirror Wall cannot be Twistered on initial activation, and that's the only card that actually matters in this game currently.

Not sure whether it should be 3/2 or 2/3 Enemy Controller / Riryoku. Leaning towards 2/3 because Riryoku proactively makes Mirror Wall dead.

I think Twister during MP1 is reasonable. If you hit mirror wall it's great, and if you hit reinforcements or something instead at worst you managed to save your monster.

I downloaded this game a week ago or so it is very fun and addicting though trying to farming card especially from Kaiba is a pain and ever since the rank resets it has become a bit harder (not complaining or anything) but atleast you have a chance to get gems and the only other thing that annoyed me was the Pegasus being suspended. Online I manly use Beatdown with Switcheroo or Sujin's Amulet. I am working towards Blue-Eyes/Kazejin Beatdown and Dinosaur Kingdom Beatdown due to being super cheap to to build (outside of Order To Charge and Mirror Wall) and being the best deck at the moment. Though I can easily see Gravekeepers being the next meta deck if it ever gets Necrovalley. 

My ID is 463-005-943 if anyone wants to duel me and I will send the Vagabond to duelist who add me

Also this a good guide for deck building or for people new to the game http://duellinks.gamea.co/c/2dwfdxug

Edited by Inti

50% of the times I try to play this game it wont even let me

why do i need server acess to play vs shit ai anyway

fuck this

12 minutes ago, Sophocles said:

fuck this

Yeah I had that happen twice and one of them was during the Pegasus event.

5 hours ago, Sophocles said:

fuck this

it's having server issues since it recently released and has to deal with the initial player surge (kinda like pokemon go)

constant internet access is a byproduct of security; everything nowadays is always validated and stored on servers to prevent people from breaking the app and injecting 9999 gems/all cards/whatever.

Edit: im a dumb you cant mp1 twister because the target has to be face-up

Bouncing back and forth between gold5/plat1, i might have to switch to a real water deck instead of Gyojin Beatdown

This is all theory and this is all heavily dependent on the meta you're facing, which change etc, but I'm fairly certain that Mirror Wall is not a reason to main Twister, because once Mirror Wall has gotten it's effect through, it can last 'one more turn' at the cost of 2000 LP, which is redundant because losing 2000 LP is the equivalent of getting attacked aside from your monster not getting destroyed by battle in that case, but since you only have 4000 LP it will literally die the turn after. That said, if people played even 1 field spell (such as the one you start with), that would warrant maining 2-3 Twister already simply because it is the ultimate floodgate card which text can literally be interpreted as 'as long as one person has this card and the other does not, and you don't run out of monsters or something obscure like that happens, you win the game because all your monsters are literally stronger than your opponent's monsters for no reason at all'. 

Started playing one day before release in Europe, currently between gold and platin with water.dek.

12 hours ago, mark said:

That said, if people played even 1 field spell (such as the one you start with), that would warrant maining 2-3 Twister already simply because it is the ultimate floodgate card which text can literally be interpreted as 'as long as one person has this card and the other does not, and you don't run out of monsters or something obscure like that happens, you win the game because all your monsters are literally stronger than your opponent's monsters for no reason at all'. 

This is the reason why I would always run at least 1 Twister as most players in PvP will either start with the water or dino fieldspell.

Also if you are playing water.dek: Kaiser Sea-Horse + Sanga is way better than Unshaven Angler + Suijin. Both get the push from Umi and also, if you are against water/dino.dek and both players get rid of each other fieldspell, your monster will always be stronger.

Just downloaded this btw. 

5 hours ago, chrona said:

Started playing one day before release in Europe, currently between gold and platin with water.dek.

This is the reason why I would always run at least 1 Twister as most players in PvP will either start with the water or dino fieldspell.

Also if you are playing water.dek: Kaiser Sea-Horse + Sanga is way better than Unshaven Angler + Suijin. Both get the push from Umi and also, if you are against water/dino.dek and both players get rid of each other fieldspell, your monster will always be stronger.

I also main Twister for those annoying spells like Wonder Balloons, Mask of The Accursed, and Banner of Courage. That sounds really good though the only problem I could see is not drawing Sanga and it being destroyed easily since you can't use Sea Amulet on him.

I'm being very low tier atm etc, so there's no removal yet, but cards I currently like:

- Twin-Headed Behemoth 
- Rai-Mei + Magical Merchant (maybe, but Rai-Mei being a floater and merchant searching any power S/T cannot be ignored. Will probably suck later on when games become faster and more beatdown/battle S/T oriented)
- Gray Wing for OTK's (although this prob sucks when opponent's will play more battle traps etc)
- Bubonic Vermin for tribute fodder (can basically support 2-tribute monsters), with Fairy Kind Truesdale for 1-card tribute 2200 ATK (best I got currently but gets over everything so far)
- Banner of Courage, not as bad when they Twister it as compared to Baloons, but this card puts very much pressure on your opponent, both for OTK'ing them and for raw card advantage as compared to battle traps that are only one-time use

But yeah I'm stage 10 atm and 2 characters at LV11, so this probably means nothing, don't have a single good battle S/T yet, basically 1500 atk monsters with effs.deck and Guardian of the Throne Room for 1650. Going to start PvP now. 

I'm personally rather fond of beatdown tactics.  I don't have a lot of the rarer cards- God forbid I ever see Enemy Controller outside of Kaiba AI's deck- but what I've got seems to work.  With Yami Yugi and Kaiba, I leveled them up enough so I can use their initial skills that put a Field Spell in play right off the bat.  After that, I try to focus on Element monsters, specifically those that combo with WIND.  In the Yami Yugi deck, I maxed out on Element Magician and I like to combine it with Magician's Circle to get out a WIND Spellcaster, like Spirit of the Winds (WIND/Level 5/Spellcaster/1700 ATK/1400 DEF).  For Kaiba, I'm trying out a more Fusion-based approach, using Skull Red Bird, Faith Bird, and their Fusion Monster "Crimson Sunbird".  I still use Element monsters, but I'm trying to max out on Element Dragon for this (currently only have one copy).

I find Shard of Greed to be amazing in this game.

A lot of folks in the chat say that Bandit Kieth is the best character for his "Switcharoo" ability.  I've not yet unlocked him, so I wouldn't know.  In the meantime, the Power of Dark and Peak Performance skills from Yami and Kaiba, respectively, are most excellent.

Well today I went from Gold rank 4 to Platinum rank 1 with my Dinosaur Kingdom and my record today with it is 8-2. (Lost to a Ritual Garlanddolf deck and I forgot the other deck I lost to was)

Character:Rex Raptor
Ability: Dinosaur Kingdom

Monsters:9
3x Crawling Dragon #
2x Dragon Zombie (Will replace it with Element Saurus)
1x Needle Sunfish (same as Dragon Zombie but has chemistry with Wonder Balloons and by itself puts a bit of pressure on the OP)
3x Two-Headed King Rex

Spells:7
1x Enemy Controller (I would maybe like to try to get a 2nd one)
2x Order to Charge(Might try to get a 3rd one)
2x Riryoku (I find two to be the perfect number)
1x Twister (Thinking about adding a 2nd one)
1x Wonder Balloons (It's gg majority of the time unless they use Twister or De-spell)

Traps:4
1x Metalmorph
2x Reinforcement (will replace once I get a Mirror Wall)
1x Windstorm of Etaqua

Extra: 1
Bracchio-Raidus

Cards I thought about adding

4-Starred Ladybug of Doom

Hunter With Seven Weapons 

Sphere Kuriboh

Banner of Courage 

Wicked-Breaking Flamberge 

Curse of Anubis 

Michizure

Cards I want to add/considering adding if I can get them or get more copies of them.

2-3x Element Saurus (Haven't bought enough Neo Impact)

1x Enemy Controller

1x Order To Charge

2x Mirror Wall (Same as Element Saurus) 

Thoughts or changes for the deck?

Edited by Inti

If you have a sphere kuriboh, isn't it a very good alternative for the 2nd enemy controller? I don't have enemy controller yet, nor have I played ranked that much (been playing for a week and opting for doing stages instead of ranked for the time being) but I think the tribute to steal effect shouldn't come up that often. 

I might be completely wrong on this.

2 minutes ago, bringer of death said:

If you have a sphere kuriboh, isn't it a very good alternative for the 2nd enemy controller? I don't have enemy controller yet, nor have I played ranked that much (been playing for a week and opting for doing stages instead of ranked for the time being) but I think the tribute to steal effect shouldn't come up that often. 

I might be completely wrong on this.

True it can be though it does not has the secondary effect which is rarely used anyways and I don't know want to take out for it maybe a Reinforcements.

Edited by Inti