• Announcements

• rei

Battle of the Anime Characters   02/10/17

THE BATTLE OF THE ANIME CHARACTERS HAS BEGUN   Find it here http://duelistgroundz.com/index.php?/forum/615-battle-of-the-anime-x/
Digbick

DuelingBook (Tentative thread)

130 posts in this topic

This program is balls. Froze on me in the first game that I played.

The fact that people haven't given up on this just because it's a DN clone is baffling to me.

the UI is worth the crashes

13 minutes ago, 2k16! said:

the UI is worth the crashes

Dueling network's UI was nothing special, only the aesthetics.

Posted (edited)

IMO it is/always has been much more accessible and easy than anything else we can play on, I tried most things and I really really hate Ygopro. I'd stopped playing altogether until I saw that this was online a few days ago and I've been having a blast again.

also, I think one of the reasons why loading into duels is so damn slow is because a lot of the card images aren't really images, they're printing the text on the preview and on every copy of the card in your deck and that's loading into your browser every time you enter the game or the builder.

328f55133a.png

5172d37f99.png

I don't understand why they're doing this

Edited by 2k16!

+18 only

Sorry

1 hour ago, 2k16! said:

IMO it is/always has been much more accessible and easy than anything else we can play on, I tried most things and I really really hate Ygopro. I'd stopped playing altogether until I saw that this was online a few days ago and I've been having a blast again.

also, I think one of the reasons why loading into duels is so damn slow is because a lot of the card images aren't really images, they're printing the text on the preview and on every copy of the card in your deck and that's loading into your browser every time you enter the game or the builder.

328f55133a.png

5172d37f99.png

I don't understand why they're doing this

Some sort of legal loophole to evade another cease + desist???

it would be better to just not display the text at all if that was the case

god what if card effects get even longer and wordier than they already are

5 hours ago, mmf said:

it would be better to just not display the text at all if that was the case

lmao, how about they just turn the cards into those anime oricas that only have the picture on them. everyone reads the effect in the white text box anyway.

10 hours ago, 2k16! said:

Have you tried LackeyDGZ? It has all of the same features as DN and more, is easily accessible, has faster UI, has no bugs and a stable server. I'd be curious to see what your thoughts on are, if you've tried it.

Obviously DuelingBook hasn't been around too long, but at some point I think we need to start exploring our other options if it doesn't improve. Around a month from now I'm going to try to bring back warring, and as of now, there's no way that I'd consider DuelingBook to be in a usable state for warring.

7 hours ago, ACP said:

Have you tried LackeyDGZ? It has all of the same features as DN and more, is easily accessible, has faster UI, has no bugs and a stable server. I'd be curious to see what your thoughts on are, if you've tried it.

Obviously DuelingBook hasn't been around too long, but at some point I think we need to start exploring our other options if it doesn't improve. Around a month from now I'm going to try to bring back warring, and as of now, there's no way that I'd consider DuelingBook to be in a usable state for warring.

i said i'd try it before, but honestly i used lackey to play other games (Weiss) before and I really don't like that program at all, just on a personal level. So I haven't tried your lackey mod yet, but i don't doubt that all of that is true.

Idk how recently you tried it, but I did make a couple of aesthetic changes like making the buttons bigger in-game so that everything is more visible. I haven't really gotten any bad reception from DGZ people, mostly just people on reddit and youtube who are married to the idea that any manual sim that doesn't look exactly like DN is unplayable.

I'm not going to lie, lackey is kind of ugly, but it works really well for testing.

Also Dueling Network was always terrible for Solitaire testing, and time consuming when you tried. Lackey provides very fast solitaire testing. 

Hey, I think that Lackey is beautiful. Stop this harmful UI shaming. It's damaging to Lackey's self-esteem.

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, ACP said:

Idk how recently you tried it, but I did make a couple of aesthetic changes like making the buttons bigger in-game so that everything is more visible. I haven't really gotten any bad reception from DGZ people, mostly just people on reddit and youtube who are married to the idea that any manual sim that doesn't look exactly like DN is unplayable.

i'd like to see some screenshots of this if possible. again, i haven't played your lackey yugioh mod, just some unrelated TCG games on there, and it was ghetto as fuck. I watched your youtube tutorials for the lackeyDGZ program and it just didn't look compelling enough for me to go out of my way to play on it

lackey's interface is very flexible but it's also very 'web 1.0' and unintuitive, dn's big appeal to me is the relative simplicity and how you could just log on, touch the cards and it "worked". another point in db's favor is that it has more players, maybe because of that nostalgia factor that you guys were talking about, even if the average player quality is lower.

Edited by 2k16!

14 minutes ago, ACP said:

Hey, I think that Lackey is beautiful. Stop this harmful UI shaming. It's damaging to Lackey's self-esteem.

Lackey needs a bag

13 minutes ago, 2k16! said:

i'd like to see some screenshots of this if possible. again, i haven't played your lackey yugioh mod, just some unrelated TCG games on there, and it was ghetto as fuck. I watched your youtube tutorials for the lackeyDGZ program and it just didn't look compelling enough for me to go out of my way to play on it

lackey's interface is very flexible but it's also very 'web 1.0' and unintuitive, dn's big appeal to me is the relative simplicity and how you could just log on, touch the cards and it "worked". another point in db's favor is that it has more players, maybe because of that nostalgia factor that you guys were talking about, even if the average player quality is lower.

See: http://imgur.com/a/cxOXQ

Is it the most userfriendly thing in the world? No, but it's fast, and it works.

Posted (edited)

23 hours ago, Gojira said:

The fact that people haven't given up on this just because it's a DN clone is baffling to me.

Its like watching Stockholm. I dont understand this either.

4 hours ago, ACP said:

See: http://imgur.com/a/cxOXQ

Is it the most userfriendly thing in the world? No, but it's fast, and it works.

I have to agree, to date, as far as manual sims go Lackey has the fewest bugs. Thats also something on DN I never understood why the animations where so slow. It infuriated the fuck out of me when I first used it. It felt like, and still feels like dueling in molasses. Dueling was far quicker in YVD.

4 hours ago, 2k16! said:

Lacky is somewhat complex to get going, much like yvd was. 

We are lucky to live in an era of choice, and where (as far as I've seen) the creators of the sims are hungry for feedback and highly accessible. There are people that "JUST WANT DN BACK" and there where people that "wanted a horse that did not get tired", these people did not like cars. Competition between sims is now like a dual ranked system, we have to win as a team first, then individually do better than each other. We can't and shouldnt hurt our competitors because NAS is going around randomly knocking us off...

... like a few days ago ...

We are to rare to not cooperate, but there is a capitalist like competition and spliting of the player base to give users options. DB does its job in being a less hard ass DN. The stability will come, I am sure of it. 

In the mean time, Salvation is really stable, browser based, simplistic... and pretty.

Lackey for shear function, like prepping for a tournament with a group. Hardcore duelist should use Lackey
DB for nostalgia social people
Salvation for people that hate YGOPro and DB, and think lacky is to hard to use?

Edited by Zayelion

the biggest problem with lackey is that most people won't adopt something that isn't browser based

1 hour ago, 2k16! said:

the biggest problem with lackey is that most people won't adopt something that isn't browser based

They arent exactly flocking to Salvation either.

Added serveal people to the group chat. I also sent out some friend request. For some reason, you have to be friends with someone who is in the group chat in order to talk. Otherwise you can only read

Is this still only accessible for 2 hours a day

9 hours ago, NB96 said:

Is this still only accessible for 2 hours a day

It's up pretty much 24/7 now, but disconnecting is still a real issue.