DarthChocoboz

Moving to Canada

DarthChocoboz    298

I'm moving to Canada to work and basically just party for the summer. Sorry for the probably misleading headline but suck my dick.

My friend wants to move to Edmonton, i hear its nice enough but if I'm going to go all the way to Canada would a city like Toronto or Vancouver be more worth my while? I'd like to go somewhere with with a vibrant nightlife and enough to do so I won't be bored on my days off. I'm 20 and I live in Dublin now which is a pretty cultured city tbh but i dont wanna end up moving for the summer and ending up with a boring city. They have a big university in Edmonton I know but during the summer the whole student aspect will be null and void. In Dublin during the year we normally have lots from the countryside but they all dissappear during the summer.

Thoughts/Advice where to go? We were mainly turned of Toronto because of cost and Vancouver because a lot of Irish people go there and we don't want to be like the americans in Dublin. i.e. no one gives you a minute because we hate you but we're happy to fuck you

+greasy thug    19083

Toronto and Vancouver are ridiculously expensive to live and the amount of taxes you have to pay will eat your wallet

I live in Calgary right now and while the nightlife isn't exciting, it's a peaceful city with a great view of the Rocky Mountains.  Also the stampede occurs every summer and it attracts lots of people

also I've lived in Edmonton for like 5 months and bailed hard so take that as you will

+rei+    35451

my impression of edmonton is it's a very blue collar town

best nightlife in Canada is in Montreal. You dont need to speak french but it helps 

• Upvote 1

DarthChocoboz    298

I speak really good french actually so thats not a problem. 

That group is perfect, any other groups that you guys could throw my way? Jobs/ Accomodation etc would be fantastic.

Regarding the tax, do different cities have different taxes? We have the same tax everywhere here so that somewhat confuses me.

+rei+    35451

Different provinces have different income and sales tax rates - cities might have different properties tax but you aren't buying property

DarthChocoboz    298

Decided to move to montreal, booking flights within the next few weeks. 

• Does anyone know of any groups or anything that we can join for jobs? Have a few groups like this in dublin not sure if they exist elsewhere. Also do you guys have recruitment agencies in Canada? We have recruitment agencies that just find people dead end jobs here is there such a haven over there?
  • wtf why are there bullet points.

Fullerene60    404

I think there are some private companies that do it. I know they are popular in North Toronto. I would just look around on indeed. I think there's a lot of call center work in the Montreal area for low skilled jobs. 

Also restaurant and tourism jobs will be big there come summer.