Mr Dragon

"Konami Digital Entertainment introduces World Qualifying Points to the Yu-Gi-Oh! TRADING CARD GAME"

Mr Dragon    297

This is Europe Only It was Europe only for like 4 hours.

"Duelists receive World Qualifying Points as an alternate method to earning an invitation to the 2017 Yu-Gi-Oh! TRADING CARD GAME World Championship

Konami Digital Entertainment, B.V. is thrilled to announce a change to earning invitations to the 2017 Yu-Gi-Oh! TRADING CARD GAME (TCG) World Championship! In previous years, Duelists would earn invitations to the World Championship solely by their performance at their World Championship Qualifier: Continental Championship (WCQ). For 2017, not only will top-performing Duelists continue to earn invitations to the World Championship at their WCQ, but Duelists that compete and do well at events throughout the course of the Dueling season can now receive “World Qualifying Points” to earn an invitation to the World Championship.

For the 2016-2017 Dueling season, players will receive World Qualifying Points if they earned a WCQ invite from a qualifying event, such as Regional Qualifiers, Dragon Duels, National Championships in Europe, and the Yu-Gi-Oh! Championship Series. Duelists that make the Top Cut at the WCQ will also earn World Qualifying Points. World Qualifying Points are awarded based on the total number of invites awarded at that event. For example, at a Regional Qualifier that awards 32 WCQ invites, the Duelist who comes in 1st place will earn 32 points, the 2nd place Duelist will earn 31 points, and so on, down to the 32nd place Duelist who will earn 1 point. World Qualifying Points will be given retroactively for any event that qualified Duelists for their 2017 WCQ. (Other Organised Play programs which are not linked to the World Championships do not contribute towards a Duelists total number of points, e.g. Local Legend Duelist Series will not contribute points towards a Duelist total).

For the 2017 WCQ: European Championship, the Top 2 Duelists at the end of the playoff rounds will earn invitations to the World Championship. The remaining 4 European Duelists who will earn invitations to the World Championship will be determined via the World Qualifying Points list. At the conclusion of the European Championship, the top World Qualifying Points-earner from France, the top World Qualifying Points-earner from Germany, the top World Qualifying Points-earner from Italy and the top World Qualifying Points-earner from UK who did not already finish in the Top 2 of the event, will earn an invitation to the 2017 World Championship.

Now, even more Duelists will need to believe in the ‘heart of the cards’ throughout the Dueling season for a chance to clash against Duelists from around the world with hopes of being crowned the next Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG World Champion!"

American press release

http://www.yugioh-card.com/en/news/2017/news_02-13_Worlds-Qualifying-Point-System.html

"Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc. (KONAMI) is thrilled to announce a change to earning invitations to the 2017 Yu-Gi-Oh! TRADING CARD GAME (TCG) World Championship! In previous years, Duelists would earn invitations to the World Championship solely by their performance at their World Championship Qualifier (WCQ). For 2017, not only will top-performing Duelists continue to earn invitations to the World Championship at their WCQ, but Duelists that compete and do well at events throughout the course of the Dueling season can now receive “World Qualifying Points” to earn an invitation to the World Championship.

For the 2016-2017 Dueling season, players will receive World Qualifying Points if they earned a WCQ invite from a qualifying event, such as Regional Qualifiers, Dragon Duels, OTS Championships, Nationals in Latin America, and the Yu-Gi-Oh! Championship Series. Players that make the Top Cut at the WCQ will also earn World Qualifying Points. World Qualifying Points are awarded based on the total number of invites awarded at that event. For example, at a Regional Qualifier that awards 32 WCQ invites, the Duelist who comes in 1st place will earn 32 points, the 2nd place Duelist will earn 31 points, and so on, down to the 32nd place Duelist who will earn 1 point. World Qualifying Points will be given retroactively for any event that qualified Duelists for their 2017 WCQ. (These points are separate from any other points earned to qualify for other KONAMI Organized Play events, i.e. Ultimate Duelist Series points used to qualify Duelists for the UDS Invitational.) 

For the 2017 North American WCQ, the Top 4 Duelists at the end of the playoff rounds will earn invitations to the World Championship.  The remaining 3 North American Duelists who will earn invitations to the World Championship will be determined via the World Qualifying Points list. At the conclusion of the North American WCQ, the top 2 World Qualifying Points-earners from the United States and the top World Qualifying Points-earner from Canada who did not already finish in the Top 4 of the WCQ, will earn an invitation to the 2017 World Championship. For Latin America, the top World Qualifying Points-earner of the 2016-2017 Dueling season, along with the Top Duelist from the Central American WCQ and the Top Duelist from the South American WCQ, will earn an invitation to the World Championship. 

Now, even more Duelists will need to believe in the ‘heart of the cards’ throughout the Dueling season for a chance to clash against Duelists from around the world with hopes of being crowned the next Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG World Champion!"

----

TLDR: If you're in Europe, there's now 6 places for you at Worlds. 2 of them go to the top 2 qualifiers at Euros and 4 go to the people who performed best at regional or higher events in the UK, Germany, France and Italy respectively - with a points system based on the number of people qualifying from that event (the points given out at Euros itself remain to be seen) 

[If you're in the US, top 4 will go to worlds, then top 2 ranked in US, #1 in Canada all qualify. If you're in Latin/South America, then #1 across the Latin countries, winner of Central American WCQ and winner of South American WCQ all qualify.]

There's good and bad to this - for example, it gives meaning to European regionals, it will make Nationals more competitive etc. It's also nice that Europe gets 6 places at Worlds. Unfortunately, if you're not from one of the big 4 countries, you effectively only have 2 places at Worlds, and even if you are then there's 3 places from which to qualify from. So it's arguable whether or not this change makes it easier for any individual to qualify even if they are from the big 4 countries.

Another kick in the teeth to me is announcing this towards the end of the regionals season as well. Therefore already giving  an advantage to people who've traveled to a lot of regionals because they otherwise would have anyway. Obviously not a huge advantage, given that winning Nationals gives you 128 points but still,.

DarthChocoboz    298

I think they should assign the smaller countries into the bigger ones like Ireland into UK, Austria/Nordics into Germany, Belgium/Netherlands/Switzerland into France and Spain/portugal/greece whatever into Italy. The regionals in the smaller countries will be smaller so theyll get less points for their wins meaning they wont just be dominating easy competitions but still have a chance to compete for worlds if they do well at YCS' and euros and their nationals.

oh boy it reminds me of the amount of Farming I used to do back when travel was cheaper regionals cities you name it...

You could go to things like King of games and just win tournaments all day. But i don't know if it will be the same fashion as mid-noughties

Travel is way too pricey now though I feel to really pull off as easily though .that feel when you could go to london and back twice a month for under £50 :( 

Edited by Ultimate Buffalo
  • Upvote 1

Mr Dragon    297
44 minutes ago, DarthChocoboz said:

I think they should assign the smaller countries into the bigger ones like Ireland into UK, Austria/Nordics into Germany, Belgium/Netherlands/Switzerland into France and Spain/portugal/greece whatever into Italy. The regionals in the smaller countries will be smaller so theyll get less points for their wins meaning they wont just be dominating easy competitions but still have a chance to compete for worlds if they do well at YCS' and euros and their nationals.

IMO what they should have done was to keep Euros unchanged, then have the points system apply to the whole of Europe, so that anyone in any country could get the 5th or 6th spots. That way, it still favours larger countries as someone from a larger country would probably still get one of those places, but it wouldn't make Euros unnecessarily harder for everyone else (or even just people in larger countries who can't travel around to regionals every weekend).

tichris93    684

seein as regional top cuts arent played out you could theoretically miss worlds because of tiebreakers?

DarthChocoboz    298
1 hour ago, Mr Dragon said:

IMO what they should have done was to keep Euros unchanged, then have the points system apply to the whole of Europe, so that anyone in any country could get the 5th or 6th spots. That way, it still favours larger countries as someone from a larger country would probably still get one of those places, but it wouldn't make Euros unnecessarily harder for everyone else (or even just people in larger countries who can't travel around to regionals every weekend).

IDK about that because then if i destroy every 5 round regional in Ireland because theyre piss easy won't I just win the place at worlds over people in germany playing 9 or 10 round regionals?

turceal    28
59 minutes ago, DarthChocoboz said:

IDK about that because then if i destroy every 5 round regional in Ireland because theyre piss easy won't I just win the place at worlds over people in germany playing 9 or 10 round regionals?

But how many invites does your 5 round regional hand out? if its only 24 invites/points then you get more points for coming first in a 9 round regional with 32 invites/points therefore making them fairer. 

zubby    234

5 round regional is probs like 4-5 invites (I forget what number it starts becoming a 6 round reg), also Ireland dosen't even get that many regionals in the first place?

This is definitely going to boost regional attendance, hopefully that leads to better prizes from TOs. Also they need to clarify how the points work for YCS's and Euros, and hopefully Nats isn't as busted as it currently sounds, I can imagine them just giving pts based on the top cut amount (32/64 etc). 

Mr Dragon    297
1 hour ago, zubby said:

5 round regional is probs like 4-5 invites (I forget what number it starts becoming a 6 round reg), also Ireland dosen't even get that many regionals in the first place?

This is definitely going to boost regional attendance, hopefully that leads to better prizes from TOs. Also they need to clarify how the points work for YCS's and Euros, and hopefully Nats isn't as busted as it currently sounds, I can imagine them just giving pts based on the top cut amount (32/64 etc). 

Yeah I hope YCSs and Euros give out more points than Nationals do, otherwise the whole structure starts to look ridiculous.

Mr Dragon    297

http://www.yugioh-card.com/en/news/2017/news_02-13_Worlds-Qualifying-Point-System.html

It's also gonna be in America, guys. Someone who's able to might want to change the OP to reflect this:

"Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc. (KONAMI) is thrilled to announce a change to earning invitations to the 2017 Yu-Gi-Oh! TRADING CARD GAME (TCG) World Championship! In previous years, Duelists would earn invitations to the World Championship solely by their performance at their World Championship Qualifier (WCQ). For 2017, not only will top-performing Duelists continue to earn invitations to the World Championship at their WCQ, but Duelists that compete and do well at events throughout the course of the Dueling season can now receive “World Qualifying Points” to earn an invitation to the World Championship.

For the 2016-2017 Dueling season, players will receive World Qualifying Points if they earned a WCQ invite from a qualifying event, such as Regional Qualifiers, Dragon Duels, OTS Championships, Nationals in Latin America, and the Yu-Gi-Oh! Championship Series. Players that make the Top Cut at the WCQ will also earn World Qualifying Points. World Qualifying Points are awarded based on the total number of invites awarded at that event. For example, at a Regional Qualifier that awards 32 WCQ invites, the Duelist who comes in 1st place will earn 32 points, the 2nd place Duelist will earn 31 points, and so on, down to the 32nd place Duelist who will earn 1 point. World Qualifying Points will be given retroactively for any event that qualified Duelists for their 2017 WCQ. (These points are separate from any other points earned to qualify for other KONAMI Organized Play events, i.e. Ultimate Duelist Series points used to qualify Duelists for the UDS Invitational.) 

For the 2017 North American WCQ, the Top 4 Duelists at the end of the playoff rounds will earn invitations to the World Championship.  The remaining 3 North American Duelists who will earn invitations to the World Championship will be determined via the World Qualifying Points list. At the conclusion of the North American WCQ, the top 2 World Qualifying Points-earners from the United States and the top World Qualifying Points-earner from Canada who did not already finish in the Top 4 of the WCQ, will earn an invitation to the 2017 World Championship. For Latin America, the top World Qualifying Points-earner of the 2016-2017 Dueling season, along with the Top Duelist from the Central American WCQ and the Top Duelist from the South American WCQ, will earn an invitation to the World Championship. 

The annoying thing is, this is how they should have implemented it in Europe. 

+Urthor    10221

Nice fucking life if you live in Canada and want to regional grind.  2 places for Canada 3 for US is pretty egregious

tichris93    684
7 hours ago, Urthor said:

Nice fucking life if you live in Canada and want to regional grind.  2 places for Canada 3 for US is pretty egregious

its 1 for canada

Sophocles    2750

Canada has 1/10th the population...seems p fair

The european countries that don't get spots actually have a higher population combined than the total population of the ones that do. Get fucked europe

turceal    28

It is also way easier to implement this system in NA due to there only being 3 countries. As a Canadian i may be biased in thinking the system is good. Although, i'm pretty sure all the Canadians already know who is getting our spot, especially since points are retroactive.

Me.    1348

I am so fucking triggered by how this system discriminates against smaller communities and how konami employee Oliver Gehrmann is showing a complete lack of knowledge about basic statistics when he tries to defend it!!!!!!!

turceal    28

This game has never catered to smaller communities and neither has any other TCG. in MTG you have actual pro players who earn a decent amount of money (20k+ usd a year) and travel to every event. I would be thankful that they have increased the number of invites total for all the regions and now people who can't travel to that one WCQ can still qualify.

Me.    1348
Just now, turceal said:

This game has never catered to smaller communities and neither has any other TCG. in MTG you have actual pro players who earn a decent amount of money (20k+ usd a year) and travel to every event. I would be thankful that they have increased the number of invites total for all the regions and now people who can't travel to that one WCQ can still qualify.

If they would just say "we did this in this specific way because we think that's what will earn us the most money", I would be fine with that. What triggers me the most is how konami employee(s) are trying to defend it as being some type of "fair" with every logical fallacy there is.

+mark    3004
28 minutes ago, Me. said:

If they would just say "we did this in this specific way because we think that's what will earn us the most money", I would be fine with that. What triggers me the most is how konami employee(s) are trying to defend it as being some type of "fair" with every logical fallacy there is.

Saying that would trigger the player base except you and would not make them the most money. This is just how companies work.

Me.    1348

They could also have done the typical konami move and not motivate it at all, I would have been fine with that.

+Mascis    4373

am i wrong or is there nowhere that says how many points you need to get a worlds invite?

Sophocles    2750
9 minutes ago, Mascis said:

am i wrong or is there nowhere that says how many points you need to get a worlds invite?

Nothing's changed, the points are on top of any invites people would get.

Me.    1348
7 minutes ago, Mascis said:

The most.

Me.    1348
Just now, Sophocles said:

Nothing's changed, the points are on top of any invites people would get.

Except that invites from euros are now top 2 instead of the top 4 we had before.

+Mascis    4373
1 minute ago, Me. said:

The most.

so, hypothetically, if i go to a regional every weekend and i finish first in the event each time i would be the only person to get a worlds invite via this method? there is no stated threshold of points to be able to qualify for worlds?

the reason i ask is because the way TCPI (pokemon) runs qualifiers is that all events are open except for worlds, and you earn points by doing well at events (in addition to prizes that may be rewarded). you need 500 points to compete at worlds in this game.