Digbick

Link Summon Awareness Thread

»Digbick    7257

Don't bitch about the new game mechanics here. Take to pojo or 9gag

Link summon is an upcoming game changing mechanics to Yu-Gi-Oh!, Link summon involves a brand new type of card called Link Monster

open spoilers to see all the revealed monster so far

DecodeTalker-ST17-JP-OP.png

Decode Talker

Dark/Cybers/Link/Effect

ATK/2300 LINK-3

2 or more Effect Monsters
This card gains 500 ATK for each monster in its Linked Zone. During either player's turn, when your opponent activates a card or effect that targets a card(s) you control: You can Tribute 1 of your monsters in this card's Linked Zone; negate the activation, and if you do, destroy that card.

GaiasabertheVideoKnight-COTD-JP-OP.png

Gaiasaber, the Video Knight

Earth/Machine/Link

ATK/2600 LINK-3

2 or more monsters

Honeybot-ST17-JP-OP.png

Honeybot

Light/Cybers/Link/Effect

ATK/1900 LINK-2

2 Cybers-Type monsters
Neither player can target monsters in this card's Linked Zone with card effects, also those monsters cannot be destroyed by battle.

LinkSpider-ST17-JP-OP.png

Link Spider

Earth/Cybers/Link/Effect

ATK/1000 LINK-1

1 Normal Monster
Once per turn: You can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower Normal Monster from your hand to this card's Linked Zone.

MissusRadiant-COTD-JP-OP.png

Missus Radiant

Earth/Beast/Link/Effect

ATK/1400 LINK-2

2 EARTH monsters
All EARTH monsters on the field gain 500 ATK and DEF. All WIND monsters on the field lose 400 ATK and DEF. If this card is destroyed by battle or card effect: You can target 1 EARTH monster in your Graveyard; add it to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Missus Radiant" once per turn.

Now, that you have seen some of the upcoming link monster. You might be confused with the new stuffs and the lack of defense stat

Lets take a look at Decode Talker again

DecodeTalker-ST17-JP-OP.png

There are many new things about Talker that will be needed to be pointed out.

First thing, the background color is a dark blue. Do not get it confused with Ritual Monster.

Second, Talker, and all Link Monsters do not have a level or a rank. Therefore they are unaffected any card that affect level/rank.

Third thing is important, noticed the black and arrow that surrounds the card. The red arrows indicates where you can bring out an extra deck monster. NOTICE THE ARROW POINTING UPWARD. This means opponent can bring out an extra deck monster in the zones pointed by the arrow.

Last thing, Talker and Link monster do not have a defense stat. They are replaced with a word called LINK. Talker has a link of 3. This means he requires three monsters to be summoned (HAS to be effect monsters). But why does he say 2 or more effect monsters? Because you can use a link monster to bring him out. You can use a monster that has a link of 2 and one other effect monster to summon him.

How do we perform a link summon?

I will be explaining by using yosenju as an example. We have three yosenjus in hand. We normal one then normal the next two yosenjus. We now have three yosenju, or three effect monster to be specific, on the field.

yosenuu1.png

We can now perform a link summon to bring out Talker. To do this, send three yosenju to the grave. Then place Talker on the zone you desire. Ideally you would want to summon Talker in the new Extra Monster Zone (I will explain the new zone later on)

Screenshot_9.png

Congrat! You have sucessfully performed a Link Summon!

Now let's explain why performing a Link Summon is so important and how it will change the game.

To start things off. There is a new zone on the game board. It is called Extra Monster Zone. Look at the poorly drawn mat and search for the blue rectangle. That will be where the two zones will be

linkmat.png

But why is it called Extra Monster Zone? Well because that is where any monsters that is summoned from the extra deck will be.

But theres only two zone, do I only get to have two? No, you and your opponent will get one. Player that is going first, gets to choose the left or right zone. If the first player gets the left zone, the other player will get the right zone.

What, that means I will only get to have one extra deck monster on the field!? Yes, you will only get to have one extra deck monster on the field. BUT, you can have more than one extra deck monsters on the field! 

How? Well, thats why you have to perform a link summon! Take a look at Talker again, and notice the red arrows. The zones that are pointed by the red arrows can be used to summon an extra deck monster. Take a quick gander at the picture below.

Screenshot_11.png

Notice how Lighting Chidori and Diamond Dire Wolf are in the zone pointed out by Talker's red arrows. This means each zone is important and plays a big part in yugioh now. Even if you have Talker in the extra monster zone, you cannot bring out an extra deck monster below it. It must be in the zone pointed by the arrow. So do not misplay when placing a Link Monster on the field. You will not be able to take it back. Be very careful about placing a Link and extra deck monster.

This is tentative, you do not have to place your first monster in monster zone one. You can place it any of the monster zones. So you don't have to use up a zone that can be used to bring out an extra deck monster.

Now you're probably wondering if you can have more than one Link monster on the field. Yes, you can. Providing if you already have a Link Monster on the field. You can summon a Link monster in a zone that is pointed by a red arrow. Lets summon Talker first and place it in the extra monster zone. How about we summon Gaiasaber, the Video Knight? Gaia has a link of three and requires at least two or more monster (notice it said monster, so you can use vanilla monster this time). Lets summon an another round of yosenjus.

Screenshot_12.png

We have Talker in the extra monster zones, and three other monster on the field. lets perform a link summon. Send three of the yosenjus to the grave and summon Gaia then place in the left zone pointed by the red arrow.

Screenshot_13.png

We now have two link monsters on the field. In addition, we have unlocked two more zones so we can use them to bring out an extra deck monster as indicated by Gaia's red arrow.

Screenshot_15.png

I put Gaia in that specific zone because if it I place it on the other zone pointed by red arrow. I can only summon two more extra deck monster

Screenshot_16.png

So take your time to think of where to place a link monster. Because if you place it in the wrong zone and you cant summon any other extra deck monster, you just made a misplay.

You can perform a link summon by using one Link monster as a material. Lets summon Gaia by using Talker and one yosenju as material. Gaia is a link three and requires two or more monsters to summon. Talker has a link of three so we only need one more material, not two more.  Send Talker and a yosenju to grave to summon Gaia and place in the desired zone.

Screenshot_17.png

Link summon will be a nice change to yu-gi-oh. The game will be slower and require more in-depth thinking and strategies than ever before. However, this means there will be less extra deck monsters spam, as you need to have a link monster on the field to bring out more extra deck monsters. So unfortunately, deck like Dark Synchro will be effectively dead. Decks like Zoodiac, however will still be good. It will just need a different way to play out  

Let me know if you have anything to add to the OP or you think something needs to be fixed.

Oh, forgot to add. All link monsters goes to the extra deck. 

Ruling Updates:

Link Monster cannot be set at all. Even card like Darkness Approach won't work on Link Monster. In addition, Link cannot be switch to defense. They do not have defense at all. Therefore any card that force all monster to switch to defense, such as quaking mirror force/book of moon/stop attack/, will not work on Link Monster

All pendulum that were used as material for a Link summon will go to GRAVE. They do not go to extra deck. Don't use "but when they synchro/fusion they go to extra" as a response to this. Konami said so .

Extra Monster zones are not chosen at the start of duel by the player going first. They are chosen by the first person who performed a link summoned.

No one can have both Extra Monster zones. Only one players get one each.

If a Link Monster is removed from field by anything, all of the extra monster that were linked DO NOT get destroyed. They were summoned from the extra deck sucessfully. In addition, just because they were summoned from extra deck sucessfully, does not mean you get to put the extra monster in a different zone. You must have a card that lets you do that.

Link Monster can be stolen. A opponent that uses Change of Heart on your Link Monster can choose to place it on any zones they desire. Also, your extra monster do not get destroyed if your Link Monster gets stolen.

When you use a card that special summon an extra monster from the extra deck, they must go to the extra monster zone or a linked zone. If you have no zones that can be used for an extra summon, you cannot use those type of card at all (Bahumut Shark, Mask Change, Ultimaya Tzolkin, Starlight Road, Magical Scientist)

If you are trying to perform a special summon that is also considered a xyz summon (eg. NO S39, Ptolemaeus), the monster must be specialed in an extra or linked zone. Not the zone the original monster was.

If an extra monster that was successfully specialed from extra and went to grave for any reason. If you chooses to revive it, they go to a regular monster zone not extra zone. But you can place it in a linked zone if you want to (eg Stardust Dragon)

If a link monster has an arrow that points to an opponent's zone, your opponents get to perform an extra summon in that linked zone. So think about bringing card out such as Decode Talker 

• Upvote 26

dexer008    805

Thank you! I had no idea how this worked. Some things might still need to be clear but this makes much more sense.

One thing I question though is if the extra deck will remain at 15 cards still. If not then decks will have to free up spaces just to even play extra deck monsters with Link monsters. This also brings into theory how many Link monsters you should run, and if you'd ever need say more then 3 at most due to the nature of the spacing on fields. 

»Digbick    7257

I think the extra size will still be 15. They have tl announce the extra deck size along with link summon mechanics.  So decks will have to get rid of luxury extra deck monster for link. I think 3-5 will be the right amount for link monster. Link monster can get destroyed. So running one or two is not a good idea.

Rulings hasnt been made for link. But all pendulum monsters used as material for link will go to grave. So a pendulum user will have to make choice to see if a link summon is worth

Chaos_Blaze    77

Quick fixes (someone else confirm to be certain):

1. From what I read in the initial articles explaining the zones, Extra Monster Zones are not chosen at the start of the Duel. The first player to perform a Summon that requires the Extra Monster Zones chooses the Extra Monster Zone to place their monster. Then the other Extra Monster Zone belongs to the other player.

idk what happens if both of the Extra Monster Zones then become empty though (I'd assume they would be up for grabs for either player).

2. When using a Link monster for a Link Summon, the monster counts toward the number of materials based on it's LINK number.

For example: Link Spider cannot be used alongside one Effect Monster to Link Summon Decode Talker. You have met the requirements to Link Summon Decode Talker based on the number of monsters used but you haven't used monsters w/ a LINK number of 3.

EDIT: Disregard the second point. I saw you mentioned it at the early part of the article but I was looking at another.

Edited by Chaos_Blaze
misreading

8 hours ago, RZR_DigbickThePickleMan said:

Rulings hasnt been made for link. But all pendulum monsters used as material for link will go to grave. So a pendulum user will have to make choice to see if a link summon is worth

Can we have a source for the Pendulum thing?  I'm skeptical about this, seeing as Pendulum Monsters used as Fusion or Synchro Material don't go to the Graveyard.  Link Materials don't overlay like Xyz Materials do either.

• Downvote 2

»Digbick    7257
22 minutes ago, Starlight Warrior said:

Can we have a source for the Pendulum thing?  I'm skeptical about this, seeing as Pendulum Monsters used as Fusion or Synchro Material don't go to the Graveyard.  Link Materials don't overlay like Xyz Materials do either.

my dad's friend roommate works for yugioh. he told me that

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

...uh-huh.  So, is it okay if I just go ahead and assume that normal Pendulum rules will apply until a source is provided?  I mean, I'm going to anyway, I'm just curious if the community will downvote me more for disagreeing with you.

• Downvote 1

»Digbick    7257
40 minutes ago, Starlight Warrior said:

...uh-huh.  So, is it okay if I just go ahead and assume that normal Pendulum rules will apply until a source is provided?  I mean, I'm going to anyway, I'm just curious if the community will downvote me more for disagreeing with you.

are you insulting my dad friend roommate

• Upvote 3

Now, why on Earth would I do a thing like that?

+scuzzlebutt    23491
7 hours ago, Starlight Warrior said:

someone literally copypasted a blurb in japanese when you asked that in the other thread

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, mmf said:

someone literally copypasted a blurb in japanese when you asked that in the other thread

And provided a link with said blurb, which turned out to be legit.

" We can now perform a link summon to bring out Talker. To do this, send three yosenju to the grave. Then place Talker on the zone you desire. Ideally you would want to summon Talker in the new Extra Monster Zone (I will explain the new zone later on) "

I think you need to clarify this, because you can't actually summon talker to any zone but the EMZ (unless you already a link monster up letting you summon him elsewhere). 

+scuzzlebutt    23491

look at decode talker's arrows, he would suck in a normal mons zone lol

Indeed.  The best Link Monsters to put in a Main Zone right now are Gaiasaber and Honeybot.

Although... I wonder of Spell/Trap Zones can be Linked?  I mean, you still couldn't put monsters in them, obviously.  I'm just wondering.

DukeLukewarm    121
35 minutes ago, Starlight Warrior said:

Indeed.  The best Link Monsters to put in a Main Zone right now are Gaiasaber and Honeybot.

Although... I wonder of Spell/Trap Zones can be Linked?  I mean, you still couldn't put monsters in them, obviously.  I'm just wondering.

The wording in the V Jump and I think some older leaks describing the new mechanic as something that can interact with many different card types imply that yes, you can link to S/T zones as well.

The Master Rule outline on the website also only talks about Link Markers pointing to zones on the field, it doesn't specifically ask for monster zones only. 

I'd expect to see some S/Ts that gain additional benefits if activated in a linked zone, or continuous S/Ts that do things while linked, stuff along those lines.

Edited by DukeLukewarm
  • Upvote 1

Zodiark    1

I have one question if lets say you have talker and a chidori and a dire wolf on board and your talker is destroyed does the wolf and chidori also get destroyed 

• Upvote 2

»Digbick    7257
35 minutes ago, Zodiark said:

I have one question if lets say you have talker and a chidori and a dire wolf on board and your talker is destroyed does the wolf and chidori also get destroyed 

as far i know, they don't get destroyed if talker gets destroyed. From what i know so far, think the linked zones as a toll gate. You paid the toll by having Talker in the extra zone. The dire wolf and chidori already passed the toll gate, so they're safe

Not totally sure, but lets say you have stardust dragon. You use stardust dragon effect to tribute itself. You don't have a link monster on the field at the end of turn, stardust still can revive itself. 

Brosi    82

I'm still confused on Talker, shouldn't 2 Effect Monsters and 1 Normal Monster fulfill both the Link number condition and the "2 or more Effect Monster". At least semantically.

»Digbick    7257
43 minutes ago, Brosi said:

I'm still confused on Talker, shouldn't 2 Effect Monsters and 1 Normal Monster fulfill both the Link number condition and the "2 or more Effect Monster". At least semantically.

no, it said 2 or more Effect monsters. So you can't use vanilla as material at all

Kahu    2419

Monsters Summoned from grave go to Main Monster Zone.

If you summon Stardust to EX then activate its effect, it ends up in Main on revival.

Coincidentally this also means shit like Blackwings are relatively unaffected by things as they have a ton of revival cards in their Synchro Loops.

• Upvote 2

JJ Snatch    118

Any ideas on how a card such as Enemy Controller (2nd effect) would work with this mechanic when opting to take an opponent's Link monster from their link zone? Especially if you already had a Link monster occupying your own zone?

In such an event, would you be able to be selective of where you place the taken Link monster? Or would it have to be placed in a valid zone that your original Link monster has a red arrow pointing to? Also, in the event of taking a Link monster such as Decode Talker and having its red arrow pointing to the 2nd EMZ, would you be able to lock your opponent out by performing a Link summon into that zone? Or would the mechanic of each player designating an original EMZ when they first Link Summoned keep you from doing so? 

• Upvote 2

Bazoo    5700

^ This is a great point. In general, how will it work if the link monster is destroyed or switches control? Will it's "linked" monsters now be ineligible to be in their zones and thus destroyed?

»Digbick    7257

I may not be right, but when you steal an opponent's link monster. you may put in the zone you desires. The link monster was already summoned successfully. So theres no need to put it in a linked zone. 

4 minutes ago, Bazoo said:

^ This is a great point. In general, how will it work if the link monster is destroyed or switches control? Will it's "linked" monsters now be ineligible to be in their zones and thus destroyed?

If your link monster gets destroyed,  stolen, or anything. Nothing will happen to the linked monster. They were summoned successfully.  You just won't be able to perform an extra monster summon. 

If a stolen link monster is returned, it goes back to its original zone. 

Samwise    55

http://beyondtheduel.com/master-rule-updates-special-summoning-extra-deck-monsters/

Clarification on Extra Deck Monsters summoned via effect.

Cards like Bahamut Shark, Ultimaya Tzolkin, Mask Change, Starlight Road, etc need to be summoned to the Extra Monster Zone or a Linked Zone. 

Ranking up XYZ monsters, like Utopia to Utopia the Lightning, must be done in the Extra Monster Zone or a Linked Zone and the new monster must remain in the same zone as the initial XYZ monster.