Digbick

Link Summon Awareness Thread

JJ Snatch    118

Branching off of my previous post and being able to link summon into the 2nd EMZ, would you be able to link summon into the opponent's regular monster zones?

Also, despite them having no defense stats, can a Link monster be turned to defense position? This would allow even further strategy involving utilizing the red arrows on a Link monster. 

The main reason I mention these two additional questions is because if the answer is no, then outside of one scenario, wtf would be the point of a Link monster having a red arrow in the top center (example: Decode Talker)?

»Digbick    7257

Link cannot be switched to def at all. Decode's upper arrow means the opponent can perform a link summoned in the linked zone

• Upvote 1

»victor    6400

What do cards like Quaking Mirror Force and Floodgate Trap Hole do vs Link monsters, and also faceup stuff like Curse of Anubis?

»Digbick    7257

They don't do anything to Link monster. Link monster cannot be put in defense or set (even darkness approach won't work). It does not matter if a card say all monster must switch to defense. Link cannot be in defense at all, it is a game mechanic

• Upvote 2

JJ Snatch    118
33 minutes ago, RZR_DigbickThePickleMan said:

Link cannot be switched to def at all. Decode's upper arrow means the opponent can perform a link summoned in the linked zone

So, how would Link monsters summoned interact with a card such as Stumbling? Or are Link summons considered something completely separate and not a derivative of special summoning?

Ignore; answered in post above. 

Edited by JJ Snatch

»Digbick    7257
Just now, JJ Snatch said:

So, how would Link monsters summoned interact with a card such as Stumbling? Or are Link summons considered something completely separate and not a derivative of special summoning?

They won't get switched to defense. Link Summon is a derivative of special summon. Link Monster do not have a defense mechanic. The game won't allow Link Monster to switch to defense

• Upvote 1

»Digbick    7257

updated the op to put some new rulings

ensane    163
12 hours ago, Samwise said:

http://beyondtheduel.com/master-rule-updates-special-summoning-extra-deck-monsters/

Clarification on Extra Deck Monsters summoned via effect.

Cards like Bahamut Shark, Ultimaya Tzolkin, Mask Change, Starlight Road, etc need to be summoned to the Extra Monster Zone or a Linked Zone. 

Ranking up XYZ monsters, like Utopia to Utopia the Lightning, must be done in the Extra Monster Zone or a Linked Zone and the new monster must remain in the same zone as the initial XYZ monster.

I don't see anything in there that says the ranked up xyz monster has to be in the same zone as the original xyz monster.

Samwise    55

7 hours ago, ensane said:

I don't see anything in there that says the ranked up xyz monster has to be in the same zone as the original xyz monster.

I swear it said that at the time. Either it was mistranslated and they've changed it (the second comment seems to support this) or I'm cuddly as fuck.  Anyways, it says the exact opposite of that now.

Not sure if the difference will ever matter, but this approach seems to give more room to combo decks.

ensane    163
1 minute ago, Samwise said:

I swear it said that at the time. Either it was mistranslated and they've changed it (the second comment seems to support this) or I'm cuddly as fuck.  Anyways, it says the exact opposite of that now.

Not sure if the difference will ever matter, but this approach seems to give more room to combo decks.

Yeah I only brought it up because I sometimes use Raidraptors, which would be heavily affected if you couldn't choose

Shaman    531

I was wondering why the forums were so dead. Now I see how bad the game got royally fucked

• Thanks 1

»Pharaoh Atem    15769

it's the biggest change to the game since the fusion deck stopped being a fusion deck.

it's honestly a bigger change than even that - the biggest to occur ever, unless there was some watershed rule change between Konami's starting the game in 1999 and opening the game to international adaptation around 2003

this is why the name of the game ruleset itself sometimes changes, instead of just getting a "version 2" or "version 3" added - this time, the ruleset changed from "Master Rule" to "Shin (EN:New) Master Rule"

as for the forum, though, forums as a communicative medium have a lot more competition from non-forum methods of communication these days. that's the activity lull's cause, more than anything else.

event attendance and sales are ultimately near their highest known points: as a franchise ygo seems to do fine even as its earlier players leave it.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

+scuzzlebutt    23491

Not quite at peak levels for event attendance but I’m p sure in terms of raw profit they have zero reason to think they’re doing anything wrong now

• Upvote 1