tonyvelasco1337

Should mats with link zones be required post link changes?

Should mats be required post links?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Should mats be required post links?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

I'm interested in what the competitive community thinks about this, specially judges. Should mats with proper zoning be required for competitive play post links? I think its kind obvious it should, but a lot of people i've talked to don't like the idea. They say people should just not move the cads around, though i think that's going to cause tremendous issues an be a massive headache for judges. 

Mr Dragon    300

I think players should have to agree upon a way of maintaining consistency regarding which zones the cards are placed in - and using mats with zones on them is one very easy way of doing that, but I don't think it should necessarily be required. Especially since a good majority of the mats Konami have made have lacked zones.

Edited by Mr Dragon
  • Upvote 1

+Satchmo    3226

none of my mats have zones, so peronally I'm gonna use coins to identify zone location

+JC.    4853

" You can also Duel without using the Game Mat as long as you remember where to place the cards." - page 4 of the current rulebook

You have been, are currently, and in the future will be required by the game to place your cards in the proper zones.

I know you are, but no one does it and its hardly ever if ever enforced because it doesn't matter, but now it definitely does. Now every-time you summon you have to say "i'm placing this card in the second to outermost main monster zone" or "I'm placing this spell in the center S/T zone", and now you have to keep track of it not only for yourself but for your opponent. Its going to be a problem, and make it easy for people take advantage of the system and cheat.

I definitely see them having to require mats for tournament play tbh. One way they could do, and maybe this won't ever work for cost issues, but after you register for a tourney they could give you a free disposable paper mat and either you have to use it or use your own. 

2 hours ago, Satchmo said:

none of my mats have zones, so peronally I'm gonna use coins to identify zone location

How does this work ?

Edited by tonyvelasco1337

Me.    1348
6 minutes ago, tonyvelasco1337 said:

How does this work ?

Put 14 coins in 2 rows of 7 on the mat and use each as one zone.

+ACP+    34064

I don't why players couldn't just say "hard left," "slight left," "mid," "slight right," or "hard right" when they place a card on the field. Once zones become important, players will naturally become more careful with placement.

Me.    1348
Just now, ACP said:

I don't why players couldn't just say "hard left," "slight left," "mid," "slight right," or "hard right" when they place a card on the field. Once zones become important, players will naturally become more careful with placement.

"he said, she said" judge calls could become a (bigger) problem from a TO perspective.

• Upvote 1

+Satchmo    3226
24 minutes ago, Me. said:

Put 14 coins in 2 rows of 7 on the mat and use each as one zone.

you actually only need 10, since field zone, graveyard and the deck zones are static

Mr Dragon    300

My favourite way of making sure the zones are correct is to take your '94 Spellground and draw them on with a Sharpie Marker.

• Upvote 4

ThatOneGuy    2019

I don't think the mats should be required, but communication between players is going to become even more important because of this.

On the topic of mats though, I'd love to see some 2-player mats that include the extra monster zones.

SageRhapsody    242

It's going to be crazy hard to judge shit if we don't play with mats with areas drawn on. People will forget exactly where their monster was placed, where the opponent's was placed etc etc. I was worried about this arrow thing with links since it opens up so much room for silly mistakes and misunderstandings. 

Carter Wix    4

Playing with mats would just create backlash as long as you make it clear where your cards are placed it doesnt need to be an issue

Me.    1348
9 hours ago, Silver said:

konami should provide mats for proper ettiquete 

They already do that, it's called "Regional Championship" and it's an event where you pay a small fee and they give you a mat.

• Upvote 2

turceal    29

Konami actually released a new product for OCG where they have "Field center" cards that serve as midpoint between the two players fields (it goes in between the two extra monster zones) so that you can orient your field correctly. 

+Urthor    10238

Edited the title so it made sense n stuff call me a nazi as you would