• Announcements

• rei

Battle of the Anime Characters   02/10/17

THE BATTLE OF THE ANIME CHARACTERS HAS BEGUN   Find it here http://duelistgroundz.com/index.php?/forum/615-battle-of-the-anime-x/
ACP

I know more about numbers than all of you, AMA

129 posts in this topic

See thread title

any good resources to beginning to learn linear algebra if you're stupid as fuck? 

No, stupid people should not start out by learning linear algebra. You need to have a solid background in math before you start.

If you're not stupid as fuck and you want to learn linear algebra for free, just go to your local college/university, find out when classes are, and just sit in on linear algebra lectures. 99% of the time, they either won't notice that you're not enrolled in the class or just not care.

Does  1.9999999... = 2?

10 minutes ago, ACP said:

No, stupid people should not start out by learning linear algebra. You need to have a solid background in math before you start.

If you're not stupid as fuck and you want to learn linear algebra for free, just go to your local college/university, find out when classes are, and just sit in on linear algebra lectures. 99% of the time, they either won't notice that you're not enrolled in the class or just not care.

Alright better question

what solid background in math should I focus on if I haven't taken a math course since 2004 and need to take a linear algebra course at some point to actually get my degree 

My university lists the prerequisites for Linear Algebra as the following:

- Calculus III or Engineering Calculus III

- Bridge to Abstract Mathematics

In principle, what this means is that you be very comfortable with the concept of a derivative, have an understanding of the basic mechanics of vectors in the 3rd dimension, and be able to use the basic techniques of proofs (direct, by contraposition, by contadiction, and by induction).

12 minutes ago, TheGoldenTyranno said:

Does  1.9999999... = 2?

Yes, the proof of this and similar facts is only 3 lines. Just use infinite geometric series.

What is the secret scum-finding algorithm you use in mafia games?

my concern is my background in mathematics wont make a khanacadamy thing useful in any meaningful sense - I was "shit at math" in school but a big part of that was lack of effort really (and confusing how some equations resolved) 

I've taken courses in formal logic so proofs are okay, I'll dive into vectors and refresh my memory on derivatives (we did them in a class i later dropped lol) 

9 minutes ago, JC. said:

What is the secret scum-finding algorithm you use in mafia games?

- Eliminate votes that don't matter (this is kind of difficult to explain, but most seasoned mafia players should already have an idea of what this means)

- Tally up who voted for scum and who voted for town.

- Assume that scum will always choose to kill town over scum given the option to do so (this doesn't mean that scum will never bus, just that they won't bus when they don't have to)

- Use Bayes' rule to calculate the probability that a given player is scum based on their votes

- Then use your own judgment based on prior game history, posts, weird vote swaps, etc.

Name one thing about numbers that you know and I don't.

The Schreier graph of Thompson's group T acting on S1 with respect to the orbit of 1/2.

Just now, ACP said:

The Schreier graph of Thompson's group T acting on S1 with respect to the orbit of 1/2.

If you were going to throw a bunch of random words together, you could at least have structured the sentence like a fact rather the sentence structure of describing a situation.

It's not a bunch of random words; Schreier graphs of group actions are very important in geometric group theory.

Just now, ACP said:

It's not a bunch of random words; Schreier graphs of group actions are very important in geometric group theory.

It's random for the context as you're not actually making a statement about a number. Just setting up a context.

Edited by Me.

What's your favorite improper fraction?

Show me your favorite memes.

if you're so smart w numbers how big is my dick

4 hours ago, Me. said:

It's random for the context as you're not actually making a statement about a number. Just setting up a context.

You didn't ask for a statement about a number. You asked for something that I knew about numbers that you didn't. That's pretty vague. Knowing the structure of a particular graph is certainly something that I know about numbers that you don't.

2 hours ago, Sophocles said:

What's your favorite whole number?

2 hours ago, TheGoldenTyranno said:

What's your favorite improper fraction?

These questions are stupid. Only idiots have favorite numbers.

2 hours ago, Markus said:

Show me your favorite memes.

Most modern-day memes are pretty terrible tbh. I liked the days when memes were just something funny that someone said on 4chan one time, and not literally every fucking image ever with a funny caption. Here are some classic memes that don't get enough respect from kids these days:

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/all-your-base-are-belong-to-us

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/series-of-tubes

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/pretty-cool-guy

wot' n standard deviation

1 minute ago, iSlickz said:

wot' n standard deviation

Yeah that meme isn't funny either