ACP

I know more about numbers than all of you, AMA

129 posts in this topic

are sarcasm and scorn the same thing? come on man

Mockery and Irony 100% same thing 

mathematical concept sets and subsets study up pls too 

(sarcasm being a subset of irony in this example) 

Looking into this

- Satire is a literary genre

- Irony is a literary technique

- Sarcasm is irony used to hurt a person

so something can quite literally be satirical, ironic and sarcastic at the same time.

The oxford definition of irony is the following:

The expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.

So my question is did I express that by using language that normally signifies the opposite? Well, me saying "Yes, my gender is the navy seal copy pasta" literally would mean my gender is the navy seal copy pasta, however, this is not true, so I would say, this is irony.

2 hours ago, ACP said:

Maybe the people who blew up the twin towers were just being terrorists ironically who never broke character XD.

Unless you're literally a fucking actor, you don't just get to constantly act a different way purely for fun and say that you're never breaking character.

The entire government are just terrorists who never break character - how many levels of irony am I on currently, 0?

Ironically unironic. Or is it?

the irony is none of the examples in the song are irony 

if i put root beer in a square glass do i just have beer? 

10 minutes ago, rei said:

if i put root beer in a square glass do i just have beer? 

I feel like this some sort of bad Canadian pun that I'm not getting.

root beer squared = beer

Jesus, that's so bad.

i was learning some number stuff and i got a new appreciation for why the math people and scientists got in trouble by the church. there is some stuff people do, like analytic continuation, that is straight up satanism with numbers. say all u want about the search for knowledge and the noble pursuit of science,  it doesn't change the fact its still a form of the dark arts >_> 

i think there's certain stuff we weren't supposed to discover. 

a s c e n d e d 

i have my analysis midterm thursday but i was reading my book upside down this whole semester

my honest opinion about the complex plane and complex voodoo is that ppl were  not meant to use it. the more i have to learn about it the more i felt this. in my world we will only use natural numbers and some fractions and we would use them for wholesome stuff like to count peaches, or for the floor plans for building a wholesome house. 

@buckwheatloaf: Sounds like math and college in general probably isn't for you. Being a catholic priest seems more like your thing. You think that math is voodoo that people weren't meant to use, and you like touching little boys. You can't get any more catholic than that. You'll fit in perfectly over there.

Realize that the pursuit of knowledge is inherently satanic, regardless of whether it is math or another subject. The Judeo-Christian God values obedience above all else and sees the pursuit of knowledge as rebellion, whereas Satan values knowledge and individuality, which is why he encouraged Adam and Eve to eat from the tree of knowledge. Anyone with any knowledge whatsoever beyond knowing how to read and study the bible must repent these unforgivable sins or be damned to an eternity in Hell.

Segwaying from that, what is the closest mathematic equivalent to actual literal sorcery and spellcasting, and what are the prerequisites to study said field?

6 hours ago, ACP said:

@buckwheatloaf: Sounds like math and college in general probably isn't for you. Being a catholic priest seems more like your thing. You think that math is voodoo that people weren't meant to use, and you like touching little boys. You can't get any more catholic than that. You'll fit in perfectly over there.

damnnn nigga, chill!

Sorry, any thread that I post in that buckwheatloaf has also posted in, I feel obligated to remind everyone that he likes little boys.

10 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Segwaying from that, what is the closest mathematic equivalent to actual literal sorcery and spellcasting, and what are the prerequisites to study said field?

Can you be more specific and supply definitions of "sorcery and spellcasting"?

There's not a real answer to that question. Math isn't sexy. There is nothing that we study that is anywhere near cool enough to be compared to sorcery and spellcasting, and to suggest otherwise would be disingenuous. 

On an unrelated note, I am so shocked right now. Last week, I gave my calculus students their second test. They did not do as well as I had hoped. Most students got a better score than they did on the last test, but the median score was only a 69%. Now I'm grading for the other calculus class. Their test was slightly easier, but they are doing much worse. I would not be surprised if the median score was less than a 50%. Most of the students in this particular class cannot even take the most basic derivatives. Frankly, I'm not even sure if they have learned anything at all over the past 2 months. This professor is in for quite a surprise.

Just now, ACP said:

On an unrelated note, I am so shocked right now. Last week, I gave my calculus students their second test. They did not do as well as I had hoped. Most students got a better score than they did on the last test, but the median score was only a 69%. Now I'm grading for the other calculus class. Their test was slightly easier, but they are doing much worse. I would not be surprised if the median score was less than a 50%. Most of the students in this particular class cannot even take the most basic derivatives. Frankly, I'm not even sure if they have learned anything at all over the past 2 months. This professor is in for quite a surprise.

Our university publishes how many people got each grade after every test, and with that background I can say that your experience doesn't surprise me at all.

7 minutes ago, ACP said:

Shit like that is pretty common in university. Majority of class i took had over 60% failure rate. Seems like students dont put in work

The national pass rate for Calculus I in America is 62%, which is pretty low in my opinion. It never ceased to amaze me what these people don't know, though. Many students did not know that the derivative of 1/4x4 was x3, and these are students who have been taking calculus for over two months. One student did not know how to add fractions. She had things like 3/8 + 1/8 = 4/16, and so on. The problem is that due to teacher politics and grade inflation, we're expected to let most of these students pass, and then it becomes the next teacher's problem, and so on, and so forth. Thankfully, it's my last semester teaching, so I do not have any pressure to do this sort of thing. If these students refuse to learn any calculus, they won't pass the course.