ACP

I know more about numbers than all of you, AMA

Kecleon    41
14 minutes ago, ACP said:

I think I know who you are. I'm assuming that we had History of Mathematics together?

Yes, I'll be finishing my Master's this semester. There are lots of career paths available to mathematicians. The finance industry loves us. Virtually all investment banks today run off of trading algorithms invented by mathematicians. The national defense industry loves us. The nation's largest employer of mathematicians is actually the Department of Defense. The gambling industry also loves us. Any new slots and tabletop games are designed and have their odds verified by mathematicians. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Shackleford aka "The Wizard of Odds." I've actually been applying for jobs in all three of these sectors. I don't plan on teaching as a career.

Yeah, that was the class.

That's really interesting. I had planned on pursuing a pure mathematics degree, but switched over to mathematics education since that was what I had planned on using my degree for anyway. Anyway, good luck in your job hunt!

+ACP+    34064
5 minutes ago, muh 100 godzillion said:

do you do much reading on your free time?

I don't really have time to read books for pleasure too much. I was trying to read a well-known book on mathematical finance in my spare time called "Options, Futures, and Other Derivatives" by John Hull, but I haven't even had time to do that lately.

+ACP+    34064
8 minutes ago, Kecleon said:

Yeah, that was the class.

That's really interesting. I had planned on pursuing a pure mathematics degree, but switched over to mathematics education since that was what I had planned on using my degree for anyway. Anyway, good luck in your job hunt!

I would highly recommend applying for the Master's program in pure mathematics and getting a Teaching Assistantship. The advantage to doing it this way is that you get paid $15K a year to earn a degree, plus it gives you a chance to try out teaching in a professional environment and find out if you like it before you commit to it as a career.

• Upvote 1

Kecleon    41
21 minutes ago, ACP said:

I would highly recommend applying for the Master's program in pure mathematics and getting a Teaching Assistantship. The advantage to doing it this way is that you get paid $15K a year to earn a degree, plus it gives you a chance to try out teaching in a professional environment and find out if you like it before you commit to it as a career.

I'll look into it. I was planning on pursuing a masters in either Education or Mathematics after I completed my undergraduate degree anyway. I'm definitely leaning more towards Mathematics since I know there are a lot more options open to me afterwards.