Dank Memeston    1716

Explain the world/life/everything please.

»ACP    33401

@Dank Memeston: Not sure what's going on with you, but you've made some weird threads lately. Get help pls.

Dank Memeston    1716

For a while I wasn't but now I am fine. I will try to refrain from this weird posting habit or I will leave; sorry to cause you discomfort.

Edited by Dank Memeston

»Satchmo    3220

nah, we just worried about you migo

the meaning of life is Self-Actualiztion

»Satchmo    3220
1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

the meaning of life is Self-Actualiztion

this is not correct, I actually forgot about Self-Transcendance

Dank Memeston    1716

Any idea how you came upon your realization?

I found this reading to be uplifting, and helped me to redefine my goals and expectations from life. It deals heavily with one of the elements of depression, and thus, you may want to read it when you're feeling strong. "You were here first", you'll know what that means by the end.

http://slatestarcodex.com/2014/08/16/burdens/

Erik Erikson sort of described life as a series of stepping stones towards self-actualization. You perform your behaviors and follow your schemas until you collide with a brick wall. Some event or pattern in your life forces you to adapt and re-envision yourself in over to get over each "identity crisis" and move on with your life, or else you remain "stuck". Adolescence, young adulthood, maturity, middle age, old age and senescence; every phase of your life requires you to change in order to overcome your problems. "Who am I? What do I value?" Self-actualization is never guaranteed, some people never get there, but if you look at your life and are unhappy, it's time to change things until you are. If you are unhappy with yourself, you need to do whatever it takes, enlist whatever aid, perform any rituals, gain any skills, etc. to become okay with who you are.

Kill your demons and embrace what you love.

I view psychological counselors as just that: counselors. You ever wanted to pick a wiser person's brain to look at your own life? Get help moving or coping? That's what they're there for. We don't have village elders anymore.

• Upvote 3

On 5/1/2017 at 0:40 AM, buckwheatloaf said:

o m g slatestarcodex on dgz

http://slatestarcodex.com/2014/05/23/ssc-gives-a-graduation-speech/

that one was cute to me,..

A great essay, as always. My fiance and I plan to homeschool our children. She herself was homeschooled, made it to our mutual alma mater, and is currently a bilingual professor when she's not playing video games. I went through the public system, definitely got the occasional suckerpunch to the gut whilst 'faggot' was yelled, and tried hard as a post-grad to work at the careers I was supposed to: food safety, genetics, etc. What I learned from the great educational scam was indeed that the system is Not Your [my] Friend. So, I have given up the rat race and aim to be a novelist because its what I want to do and it's a hell of a lot better than feeling dead inside. And now I have time for things I enjoy, like, Yu-Gi-Oh!. I plan to be a good father and good friend; being a good scientist or good employee mean much less to me. Before the shadow of the grave all is vanity anyway.

I definitely recommend that OP read the above as well. SSC is one my favorite sites to read.

Dank Memeston    1716

Yeah I plan too, thanks for sharing.  

• Upvote 1