Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Francis J Underwood

The Official 2017-2018 NFL Season Thread

23 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

New League Year Starts Tomorrow. FA Officially Opens

Reported Signings (will try to update as I get info)

Rick Wagner to the Detroit Lions  

Calais Campbell to the Jaguars 

Torrey Smith to Philadelphia Eagles

Tony Jefferson to Baltimore Ravens

Ryan Mallet re-signs with Baltimore Ravens

Brandon Marshall to the NYG

Kyle Juzyscek to the 49ers 

Vlad Ducasse to the Bills

Dwayne Allen traded to the Patriots

Kenny Stills stays with the Dolphins 

Edited by Francis J Underwood

Probably the most amusing day on the NFL calendar. I love all the bad contracts!

Brock Osweiler has had an epically bad 365 days.

Bet he regrets leaving Denver

2 hours ago, iSlickz said:

Doubtful. Dude is getting an insane paycheck for what he's actually worth. If he had stayed in Denver, he'd have ended up benched and would also have signed a smaller contract.

3 hours ago, Jazz said:

Probably the most amusing day on the NFL calendar. I love all the bad contracts!

It's funny and yet good for some teams (see Baltimore) 

3 hours ago, Jazz said:

Brock Osweiler has had an epically bad 365 days.

Adam Schefter: The biggest story of the 2016 offseason: Brock Osweiler. The biggest story of the 2017 offseason: Brock Osweiler

2 hours ago, iSlickz said:

Honestly, considering what a prick Elway is, I doubt this. Elway would paid him less and constantly would have tried to replace him. Outside of them fielding a competitive team, I'm shocked people are willing to play for him tbh given how open he is about being such a snake. 

41 minutes ago, fractal said:

Doubtful. Dude is getting an insane paycheck for what he's actually worth. If he had stayed in Denver, he'd have ended up benched and would also have signed a smaller contract.

Agreed. 

Baltimore gambled and won with Brandon Williams. By not tagging him, they were able to sign Tony Jefferson. Getting a deal done with Williams likely gives us some cap to play around with to go after a corner like Mo Claiborne who may not cost much. 

If Baltimore can hit on a few picks in the draft, they could be very dangerous this yr. CB, OLB, ILB, WR, RT, C are the needs in that order imo and given FA and this draft class, most if not all of these can be shored up by the start of the season. 

hope my boy Romo lands in Houston and gets them past the 2nd round. really would like to see him vindicated against all the unwarranted criticism

3 minutes ago, iSlickz said:

hope my boy Romo lands in Houston and gets them past the 2nd round. really would like to see him vindicated against all the unwarranted criticism

Agreed. He played on a lot of bad Dallas teams and took heat for it. 

i love romo. i hope he succeeds

Lol GG NFL

49 minutes ago, fractal said:

Lol GG NFL

Guessing this is about Brandon Cooks. 

Personally don't see the big deal in this. Saints probably won out on this trade imo 

43 minutes ago, Francis J Underwood said:

Guessing this is about Brandon Cooks. 

Personally don't see the big deal in this. Saints probably won out on this trade imo 

Maybe on the straight-up trade, but consider NE's overall offseason:

+Stephon Gilmore

+Dwayne Allen

+Brandin Cooks

+Kony Ealy

-Donta Hightower*

-Martellus Bennett

-Jabaal Sheard

*Could still be re-signed.

They could also be leveraging Jimmy G into a massive reload in terms of picks, via Cleveland, which has gone out of its way to acquire draft picks.

Also, now that Cleveland is moving on from RG3, ready to confess that he's garbage, and has been ever since his rookie year?

Not a fan of the Cooks trade...

Don't trade Garoppolo; trade Brady!

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, fractal said:

Maybe on the straight-up trade, but consider NE's overall offseason:

+Stephon Gilmore

+Dwayne Allen

+Brandin Cooks

+Kony Ealy

-Donta Hightower*

-Martellus Bennett

-Jabaal Sheard

*Could still be re-signed.

They could also be leveraging Jimmy G into a massive reload in terms of picks, via Cleveland, which has gone out of its way to acquire draft picks.

Also, now that Cleveland is moving on from RG3, ready to confess that he's garbage, and has been ever since his rookie year?

Gilmore is an overpay, but one Belichick wanted/needed to take. This kind of goes to my theory that Butler isn't that good of a corner. Given his pedigree, scheme help, and role (how they use him), going after a guy like Gilmore who has been up and done confirms that Belichick wanted a guy with leave him on an island-traits. They might also flip Butler (I'm sure shallowness at the position had something to do with it, but Gilmore is a massive overpay imo) 

Dwayne Allen, when healthy, is a good player, but you have to think he is there for his blocking mainly. 

Cooks has some injury issues, may end up being a headache (does anyone honestly think he's getting more targtets in NE) and just seems like a win now move

Ealy is garbage flat out (product of opportunity). The only thing that redeems this is basically Belichick moved down 10 picks and got him. 

What NE lost easily outweighs what they gained imo. 

What NE does with Garropolo, but one way or another that franchise changes drastically by October. 

Cleveland took a flier on a guy with upside. Who cares if a the lottery ticket missed. 

24 minutes ago, Jazz said:

Not a fan of the Cooks trade...

Smat man. All this confirms to me is that Belichick hates this draft class

Edited by Francis J Underwood

Ealy may not be great, but if BB wants him, then he's probably going to be effective in some capacity, not to mention they got him for 8 spots worth of draft value. Cooks apparently grew frustrated because NO increasingly used him as a decoy or strictly to clear DBs out of an area to create space for other wideouts. Also, Bill thinks Gilmore is amazing. There's a ton of money early in the deal, and was pointed out that his first 2 years are worth only $1M less than Revis' 2-year deal with them. I may not think Butler is all that great of a corner, but he is a good one. Now, if they do leverage Jimmy G into a bevy of picks, you're essentially trading Jimmy G for Kony Ealy, Brandin Cooks, and whatever plus you get in the trade.

Pretty damn upsetting that Seattle seems to move almost entirely in the shadows. Was reported 2-3 days ago that Luke Joeckel signed a 1-yr deal worth up to $8M, but there are no contract details, and there has been no official announcement. Add to that that they're trying to sign TJ Lang, and as soon as he gets on the plane, no one knows if he ever made it there, if he's still there, if he left, or what their offer was. Tbh, I like the Joeckel signing. Injuries have stunted his growth, as has poor coaching. He could be average for Seattle given his athletic profile. It's speculated that it's a 1-year, $5M deal with incentives, which looks damn amazing considering the deals that several average-to-above-average tackles have gotten. If they do land Lang, can't see them take a lineman until late in the draft. They love Fant's upside and seem to be willing to let him compete for the starting job. All 2 or 3 of the good tackles in this draft will get overdrafted out of Seattle's range, so here's hoping they draft Kevin King.

On 3/11/2017 at 0:39 PM, fractal said:

Ealy may not be great, but if BB wants him, then he's probably going to be effective in some capacity, not to mention they got him for 8 spots worth of draft value. Cooks apparently grew frustrated because NO increasingly used him as a decoy or strictly to clear DBs out of an area to create space for other wideouts. Also, Bill thinks Gilmore is amazing. There's a ton of money early in the deal, and was pointed out that his first 2 years are worth only $1M less than Revis' 2-year deal with them. I may not think Butler is all that great of a corner, but he is a good one. Now, if they do leverage Jimmy G into a bevy of picks, you're essentially trading Jimmy G for Kony Ealy, Brandin Cooks, and whatever plus you get in the trade.

Pretty damn upsetting that Seattle seems to move almost entirely in the shadows. Was reported 2-3 days ago that Luke Joeckel signed a 1-yr deal worth up to $8M, but there are no contract details, and there has been no official announcement. Add to that that they're trying to sign TJ Lang, and as soon as he gets on the plane, no one knows if he ever made it there, if he's still there, if he left, or what their offer was. Tbh, I like the Joeckel signing. Injuries have stunted his growth, as has poor coaching. He could be average for Seattle given his athletic profile. It's speculated that it's a 1-year, $5M deal with incentives, which looks damn amazing considering the deals that several average-to-above-average tackles have gotten. If they do land Lang, can't see them take a lineman until late in the draft. They love Fant's upside and seem to be willing to let him compete for the starting job. All 2 or 3 of the good tackles in this draft will get overdrafted out of Seattle's range, so here's hoping they draft Kevin King.

Ealy is literally just a body. BB wanting him does not improve his skill. I think its more of a reflection how much BB hates this draft class tbh. And like I said the compensation is the only redeeming quality. 

Cooks is going to be frustrate in NE when he gets the same # of targets and the same role. Only question is whether he will be happier if the team is winning. 

My comments on Gilmore stand. It was an overpay, but BB wanted a guy physically capable of playing island coverage. Butler was not that. It remains to be seen if Gilmore can excel in that role like he did early in his career. 

Idk what game the Pats are playing tbh. I can personally guarantee they won't pay JImmy G and Brady top QB money. Its just not feasible. Maybe they are waiting for the draft to max the offer, but the longer they wait, imo, the lower their leverage gets because 2018 is apparently a great QB Class. If I'm the browns, I am cool with sucking for another year and taking one of those QBs rather than having to pay draft capital and top money to a QB with 2 starts to his name. Given the Browns are running an analytical system for making moves, you have to believe they realize this too. 

Joeckel was a decent flier for the Seahawks. I think you're wrong on Joeckel completely otherwise. Manziel's scrambling ability forced rushers to not go all out and pin their ears back. That gave the tackles a massive advantage. 

Kevin KIng is an insane athlete and it wouldn't surprise me if he was drafted before Seattle got to pick, but who knows. Tape screams round 2/3, but combine numbers scream top 10 (for comparison, he is more athletic than Jalen Ramsey was last yr). 

Garoppolo is the long term solution for the patriots at QB. He is quite good--BB doesn't need to see starts when he sees this guy at practice every day. If they are smart they franchise him the next couple years. Brady is 40, I know he eats avocados and all, but he's 40. Garoppolo isn't going to get traded unless somebody gives a stupid offer (see: multiple high first round picks).

Figure out the money later, keep the QB now.

42 minutes ago, Jazz said:

Garoppolo is the long term solution for the patriots at QB. He is quite good--BB doesn't need to see starts when he sees this guy at practice every day. If they are smart they franchise him the next couple years. Brady is 40, I know he eats avocados and all, but he's 40. Garoppolo isn't going to get traded unless somebody gives a stupid offer (see: multiple high first round picks).

Figure out the money later, keep the QB now.

Again, two starts, one of which he got injured, not gonna call him a long term answer after that. Remember Matt Cassel 

That's just plain bullshit. 

Franchise tagging Garrapolo is by far the stupidest thing the Pats can do. Idk how much you know about the cap Jazz, but I'm going to assume it's not much. By franchising Garrapolo, he gets paid top 5 QB money for essentially two starts. If that weren't bad enough, the entirety of that number counts against the cap, which makes it even worse than signing Jimmy long-term (most qbs get paid a certain amount, but that amount rarely if ever = their cap number.) Further, to tag someone for successive years increases that number (see Kirk Cousins). 

Should the Jaguars sign Dontari Poe, I have to say the level of talent on that defense is impressive and Seattle like. To illiustrate

D-Line (Base) - Fowler, Campbell, Poe, Jackson

D-Line Passing Down - Fowler, Cambell, Jackson, Ngouke

Linebackers - Telvin Smith, Paul Posluzny, Myles Jack 

Secondary - Jalen Ramsey, Tayshaun Gipson, Barry Church, Aj Bouye

The secondary can use a bit of depth and some stronger safeties but the pass D was #2 in the league last yr with even less talent. The d line would be one of the most athletic in the league. The linebackers would likely be the top coverage unit. 

Jacksonville is loaded with some talented skill players on offense in Robinson, Hurns, and Lee. They could use a difference maker at TE, RB, and the o-line. Two of those positions, this draft is very deep in. However, it is worth noting that Jax has some money tied up in RB. I can't see them going anywhere. With the chance to add a factor back like Leonard Fournette at 4, it's hard for me to imagine they pass that up. 

15 hours ago, Francis J Underwood said:

Ealy is literally just a body. BB wanting him does not improve his skill. I think its more of a reflection how much BB hates this draft class tbh. And like I said the compensation is the only redeeming quality. 

Cooks is going to be frustrate in NE when he gets the same # of targets and the same role. Only question is whether he will be happier if the team is winning. 

My comments on Gilmore stand. It was an overpay, but BB wanted a guy physically capable of playing island coverage. Butler was not that. It remains to be seen if Gilmore can excel in that role like he did early in his career. 

Idk what game the Pats are playing tbh. I can personally guarantee they won't pay JImmy G and Brady top QB money. Its just not feasible. Maybe they are waiting for the draft to max the offer, but the longer they wait, imo, the lower their leverage gets because 2018 is apparently a great QB Class. If I'm the browns, I am cool with sucking for another year and taking one of those QBs rather than having to pay draft capital and top money to a QB with 2 starts to his name. Given the Browns are running an analytical system for making moves, you have to believe they realize this too. 

Joeckel was a decent flier for the Seahawks. I think you're wrong on Joeckel completely otherwise. Manziel's scrambling ability forced rushers to not go all out and pin their ears back. That gave the tackles a massive advantage. 

Kevin KIng is an insane athlete and it wouldn't surprise me if he was drafted before Seattle got to pick, but who knows. Tape screams round 2/3, but combine numbers scream top 10 (for comparison, he is more athletic than Jalen Ramsey was last yr). 

I don't think that Ealy is all that much of "just a body." He's probably a situational pass rusher, but to get one for minimal salary and to slide down 8 spots is a solid trade. I also highly doubt that BB/NE think this is a poor draft. If anything, I think that sliding picks around and acquiring players allows them to be more flexible with the draft. They needed an upgrade at WR, weren't going to get one at 32, so they essentially drafted Brandin Cooks at 32. They still have two 3rds, a 4th, two 5ths, and a 6th and 7th. Now, they're shopping Butler (and/or he's shopping himself) for a 1st. Assuming they get one, it will be, in all likelyhood, be higher than 32. What I see is BB shrewdly leveraging Jimmy G, and quite possibly Butler, into Gilmore, Cooks, Allen, Ealy,and higher picks than they had (yes, I know that Gilmore is a FA signing, but without his signing, moving Butler would be awful).

Cooks' frustration reportedly stemmed from being increasingly used as a clear-out runner for other wideouts. It may not be about targets for him, simply that he doesn't want to be running decoy for others.

In 2015, at LT, Joeckel surrendered 1 sack in weeks 1-16 before surrendering 5 in week 17. He's shown the ability to perform. Fwiw, Okung is now the NFL's highest paid OT by APY, and he isn't close to worth it. For as much talk as there has been about them "not trying" or "not caring" about the o-line, the guys they have had have been paid insane amounts for relatively average (at best in most cases) players, not to mention they've spent plenty of picks on lineman. Just hasn't quite worked out. Now, I may want to see them take Cam Robinson in RD1, and perhaps Ahkello Witherspoon in RD2 (he has the length and speed, and actually leads all incoming rookies in passes defensed last year; shows good ball skills/tracking).

I'd like to just insert someone into the RT spot and just have them be decent. Gilliam was horrible until he got benched late in the year, so I don't want to go through that again. Fant has the upside/ability to play LT at a high level, but he probably needs another year, so I'm more than OK with Joeckel being the guy there for a year, then see what the FA market brings, and let Fant compete for the job. Excited to see Ohdiambo v Glowinski at LG. Ifedi should be a fixture somewhere on the right for a long time.

Jacksonville... Man, if only Bortles didn't break (and there are worries that Wentz may be Bortles 2.0, given the way his delivery developed over the season), and they had gotten this talent for Bradley.. Oh well, that defense might be pretty good, but if they don't fix Bortles, or replace him, they're gonna have another "dominant 4-12 campaign."

Speaking of Gus, this draft may just go amazingly for the Falcons, LA Chargers, and Santa Clara 49ers (damn name changes...). Both LAC and SC will be implementing the "Seattle defense," and of course Quinn in Atlanta, and this draft has so many DBs with Seattle's preferred physical profile.

Posted (edited)

Can't wait to watch the Chiefs win 11 games before losing in the Divisional round this year. Should be fun :(

These are my futures bets I've placed:

Patriots W/L under 12.5 +100

Texans win divison +200

Redskins win division +475

and last but DEFINITELY least Rams at +2500 to win division because I don't like money.

I usually don't bet futures, but decided to fire some this year. Texans and Redskins are the biggest mispriced IMO. Patriots and I'll classify my bet sizing basically:

Big bets on Pats and Texans

Smallish on the Redskins

Very small on Rams

Edited by kidrock