mark

Bandit Keith - Beatdown (No Relinquished) Strategy Discussion

6 posts in this topic

This thread will serve all Bandit Keith - Beatdown deck discussion (for PvP / tournament etc. purposes, not for beating Ai). A guide will be added within a few days, but for now we can use this to discuss anything about the deck.

Something that is definitely seeing a lot of play on the ladder right now is Venus Shine Balls. I'm a big fan of this deck as I think it has insane plays, made possible by spamming out Shine Ball as fast as possible. I've seen people use stuff like White Elephant's Gift and all of that gimmicky non-sense but I think my list would be somewhere close to this; 

3 Venus

3 Shine Ball

2 Dunames

1 Asura Priest

1 Sphere Kuriboh

3 Enemy Controller

2 Order to Charge

1 Cards from the Sky

2 Order to Smash

1 Windstorm

1 Skull Lair

Order to Smash is pretty insane, letting you destroy 2 spell/traps by only using 1 card (free Shine Balls etc). 3 Enemy Controller so you can steal your opponent's mons (often resulting in an OTK) + it's a defensive card that doesn't lose to Trap Jammer. Skull Lair to deal with Relinquished. It's kinda useful outside of Relinquished since you load your graveyard so quickly. 

I'd say the deck has pretty good match-ups across the board.

I've seen people use Enrise, realistically Venus+Sphere Kuriboh is enough to summon it. I think it's definitely viable as a 1-off in Switcheroo builds since it's good late game, and you can theoretically Switcheroo it back early game if needed. However you need to already be playing 3 Sphere Kuriboh before this is good, which is questionable since Order to Charge/E-Con are so much more powerful. It's either Enrise or Skull Liar though, since they conflict with each other of course. 

Agree on most of your choices, not certain what the best monster line-up is though, 3 Venus 3 Balls aside which are staple. I feel like 3 Order to Charge may be needed to counter Possesed Dark Soul, although worst case you can waste an E-Con on it, but even then they can just protect it for a turn and still take Venus+2 Balls which is a huge blow-out. How are Cards from the Sky and Asura working out for you, or are they just fillers?

What are people's thoughts on Thunder Dragon?

Odds of double drawing are real, but yeah Switcheroo essentially turns it into a Pot of Greed (Thunder Dragon -> get 2 Thunder Dragon, Switcheroo one back, go Thunder Dragon -> Thunder Dragon again, results into: 2 monsters in graveyard for Skull Liar, 1 Thunder Dragon in hand that you can Switcheroo next turn or use as discard fodder, and 0 in deck which is pretty neat as it thins your deck out by 2).  Not to mention it instantly fuels Rituals so it would make those viable if you wanted to play those, for example it would make Garlandolf easy to make, but yeah that would still have the problem of having low DEF which is what holds it back imo. It takes quite a lot to make it, then if your opponent puts it to DEF with a single E-Con, it's pretty much dead at that point, or they can steal it to finish you. 

Also, does the release of the new set impact this deck at all? 

Thunder Dragon is also very good against Weevil.  Being able to tribute monsters that have been Masked or the Parasite is important.  You can also sack things that were stolen via Econ which can be relevant against any deck.

I like it a lot more in Relinquished builds where the discard fodder is useful than decks where you're using it just to make your Switcheroo a +1 with 1 dead card in deck.

It's usefulness with Skull Lair cannot be underestimated.

I think Thunder Dragon Switcheroo works great with decks that include some combination of Rising Energy, Soul Exchange, Divine Wrath, etc. Basically being able to Switcheroo back 1, while discarding the other, so you don't have to always save both your Switcheroo redraws for until you draw into Thunder Dragon, which may never happen in the duel, is huge. Also solves the 'last dead Thunder Dragon in dead' which you can draw into after you Switcheroo Thunder Dragon back twice. Agree, the synergy with econ and Skull Liar and the fact it outs accursed or parasite are huge, but you're probably going to only play 1 Skull Liar anyway I assume? So it would make it live earlier vs non-Relinquished decks basically.