Sign in to follow this  
mark

Other Decks Strategy Discussion (outdated)

+mark    3005

This thread will serve all deck discussion for decks that don't fall into any of the other categories (for PvP / tournament etc. purposes, not for beating Ai). If good posts or guides are being posted for certain decks, I'll add them into the OP, so people can get an idea of what kind of decks there are to play, aside from the most used ones.

Venus + Shining Balls w/ Order to Charge, Enemy Controller etc.

Harpies (no Relinquished) 

Flash Assailant - Embodiment of Apophis

Warm Worm Mill / Deck-Out

Etc. 

+mark    3005

Some cards I think deserve attention atm: 

Susa Soldier

For builds that cannot support Flash Assailant because you cannot meet the requirement of having 0 cards in hand, it's a good replacement:

It's a worse Flash Assailant, but way more flexible and can be thrown into almost any beatdown deck. Gets over everything basically. If it eats a 4-Starred, Mirror Wall, etc, it's a 1 for 1 and it's return to hand effect doesn't matter. It doesn't lose to E-Con as it returns to the hand: this is huge, as Jerry Beans/Dunames lose to those cards, obviously Susa also walks over Jerry Beans/Dunames which makes it even better. It kind of sucks going first although depending on the match-up you could set it T1, 1600 DEF is no joke, but yeah basically you'd want to use this to run over opponent's monsters until they run out of them. Keep in mind that if you clear 1-2 monsters it has already done it's job. It does leave open fields which can be a good thing against Relinquished/Soul Exchange, and you can play Embodiment of Apophis to make it not that much of a bad thing either. I wouldn't play 3 because you never want to draw multiples but I think playing 1 or 2 can be a very good addition to a deck, and it can be extremely powerful.

Birdface

Harpies obviously got stronger: a 1800/1800 monsters that searches an Harpie Lady after being destroyed, solves a lot of problems at once. People were already playing 1700 beaters, so this is an insta-include 3-off. It's especially good since it gets over basically everything and ties with Dunames, since you'll prob destroy their field spell at some point with Hunting Ground. 

Wonder Balloons (and Pumprincess)

This card is seeing a lot of play and it's the nuts. If you draw it in a beatdown vs beatdown kind of match-up, you cannot lose unless if you brick / they draw the out / they also have Wonder Balloons / they run you out of monsters with some broken combination of Order to Charge/E-Con/Soul Exchange, etc. It is just really hard to win and you can stall behind this card if you brick, until you draw into something good. 

• Upvote 2

Conspire    2396

Harpies also got Harpie Lady 1 which is a big deal.  In addition to being an 1800 normal summon and pumping your other dudes which is just good in general, Elegant Egotist builds now have Harpie Lady 1 + Harpie Lady Sisters for over 4000 atk if the field spell remains intact.  Egotist builds are a lot more consistent with Birdface.

It remains to be seen what the best build of Harpie's ends up being.  Since KC Cup I've been a big fan of playing Ladybug and Possessed Dark Soul and have worked them into a Harpie's list.  I've got 2 builds right now, one with Relinquished and one with Egotist, which I plan on playing at higher ranks where I expect more Harpies.  The "meta" (although expensive) list I've seen is:

3 Birdface

3 Sonic Duck

2 Harpie Lady

1 Harpie Lady 1

1 Harpie Lady Sisters

2 Elegant Egotist

3 Enemy Controller

2 Order to Charge

3 Mirror Wall

• Upvote 1

Inti    81

I tested Mirror Wall a little while back when I was trying a pure Harpie Lady deck and the only problem with using mirror wall is it's dead against the mirror match and Gks. 

• Upvote 1

Conspire    2396

Not really dead in the mirror since you can snipe the hunting grounds if you want.  Just make sure to have each field spell kill itself.

• Upvote 2

+mark    3005

This deck is pretty fun to play

3 Sphere Kuriboh
1 Beast of Talwar

2 Enrise
2 Airknight
3 Dimensional Alchemist
3 Skelengel

3 Magical Merchant

1 Windstorm
3 E-Con

If you don't have certain cards, you can replace them with: Beast of Talwar, Mimic LV1, Dunames, A Feint Plan, or any good light fairy / dark fiend really. 

The deck does 2 things basically:

- Protect your flips with S/T's, then flip them during your turn and tribute them for Beast of Talwar (immune to E-Con/Windstorm, really strong card) or Airknight (pretty good even vs 1900 ATK monsters, because you switch them to defense with 7 of your cards). 

- Magical Merchant to mill your monsters and play Enrise. You can recycle anything with Enrise - Alchemist as well.

Currently playing this for fun (with 2 Alchemist, 1 E-con), only real problem is I don't have Sphere Kuribohs which are pretty necessary because they make Magical Merchant better.

You can use any skill but I think Bakura's mill skills are probably the best ones.

I think the deck can be improved upon a lot, and there are probably a lot of cards out there I haven't thought of yet. 

+mark    3005

Odion Bluff trap seems to be the new meta, just got the skill, what do people think about this deck? My first thoughts is that it's definitely a contender to be tier 1, as I've already lost to it multiple times, but I'd have to play it to confirm.

Faint    5605

Odion bluff is the absolute nuts.

• Upvote 1

Inti    81

Its defiantly better then what most people give it credit for from what I seen and faced a few times. 

• Upvote 1

Inti    81

With the new Mako support cards Beautunaful Princess and Fish Depth Charge I think Mako decks will slightly increase in popularity. Tier wise I think its now tier 3 or rogue and this is what I think is theoretically the best build

Skill: Mystic Depths

Monsters:13

1x Beautunaful Princess 

3x Hammer Shark 

3x Lost Blue Breaker 

3x Needle Sunfish 

2x Star Boy

1x Yomi Ship 

Spells:3

3x Enemy Controller

Traps:4

1x Fish Depth Charge (hopefully you can get more in the future)

1x Forgotten Temple of The Deep (basically a better version of Interdimentional thats continuous)

2x Mirror Wall/Metalmorph

Basically the strategy of the deck is to summon Hammer Shark turn 1 and then summon a lv 3 or lower monster deepening on the match up and whats in your hand. 

Lost Blue Breaker: Helps against Harpie Ladies, Weevil Burn, if you read into Mirror Wall etc

Needle Sunfish: Target for Fish Depth Charge and good against 2000 beaters .

Edited by Inti
  • Upvote 1

Faint    5605

I mean yeah it improved but its nowhere near t1 still ;)

Dark Paladin deck is the one to beat

• Upvote 1

+mark    3005

dark paladin is good when people dont expect it (and they dont, it took people months to realize they should main outs to relinquished and even then they picked bad outs), but if it becomes dominant there are a lot of hard counters to it. like any trap (mirror wall, divine wrath, eliminating the league), or any monster eff (relinquished, yomi ship, all that kind of stuff). just kill it. I'd have to see how these people build their paladin decks but I assume they won't have more than 5 spots space for non-combo cards so it's not like they can counter your counters or anything

Inti    81

My attempt at a Naturia deck which I believe has a bit of potential due to the Pumpkin, Marron, Hydrangeas, and Stag Beetle.

Skill:Beatdown (So Stag Beetle and Hydrangeas can get over bigger monsters) 

Monsters: 12 

3x Hydrangeas (If you activate the effect of a Naturia monster this turn and its in your hand you can special summon it)

3x Marron (A foolish burial for Naturia monsters that recycle two Naturia monsters back into the deck and you draw 1 card once per turn)

3x Pumpkin (When you normal summon it while your opponent controls a monster you can special summon a Naturia from the hand)

3x Stag Beetle (If a card effect is activated during the battle step or damage step of this card's attack, you can special summon a Naturia from your GY)

Spells:6

3x Enemy Controller

1x Super Rush Headlong

2x Soul Exchange (Is useful incase you don't open with Pumpkin or Marron)

Traps:2

1x Exterio's Fang (Testing out)

1x Mirror Wall

Basically the strategy of this deck is you want to open up with Pumpkin with Stag Beetle/Hydrangeas or Marron with Hydrangeas. I might consider restart though the only thing I worry about then is facing 2300+ beater decks which is why I use the Beatdown skill. 

Other cards I considered running

Embodiment of Aphosis (Another form of tribute fodder)

Naturia Dragonfly (Is basically a Spirit Reaper for decks that run 2000 attack monsters)

• Upvote 1

knives1990    287
11 minutes ago, Inti said:

My attempt at a Naturia deck which I believe has a bit of potential due to the Pumpkin, Marron, Hydrangeas, and Stag Beetle.

Skill:Beatdown (So Stag Beetle and Hydrangeas can get over bigger monsters) 

Monsters: 12 

3x Hydrangeas (If you activate the effect of a Naturia monster this turn and its in your hand you can special summon it)

3x Marron (A foolish burial for Naturia monsters that recycle two Naturia monsters back into the deck and you draw 1 card once per turn)

3x Pumpkin (When you normal summon it while your opponent controls a monster you can special summon a Naturia from the hand)

3x Stag Beetle (If a card effect is activated during the battle step or damage step of this card's attack, you can special summon a Naturia from your GY)

Spells:6

3x Enemy Controller

1x Super Rush Headlong

2x Soul Exchange (Is useful incase you don't open with Pumpkin or Marron)

Traps:2

1x Exterio's Fang (Testing out)

1x Mirror Wall

Basically the strategy of this deck is you want to open up with Pumpkin with Stag Beetle/Hydrangeas or Marron with Hydrangeas. I might consider restart though the only thing I worry about then is facing 2300+ beater decks which is why I use the Beatdown skill. 

Other cards I considered running

Embodiment of Aphosis (Another form of tribute fodder)

Naturia Dragonfly (Is basically a Spirit Reaper for decks that run 2000 attack monsters)

Beatdown is the best skill for this deck. It is very hard to beat this when you open 2 or 3 monsters you can summon. I think I would use more traps instead of soul exchanges

• Upvote 1

Inti    81
Just now, knives1990 said:

Beatdown is the best skill for this deck. It is very hard to beat this when you open 2 or 3 monsters you can summon. I think I would use more traps instead of soul exchanges

Yeah I thought about adding a 1-2 copies of metalmorph and I don't have a 2nd mirror wall or super rush. I am iffy on Fang since it requires you to discard a card and the monsters are easy to get over without back row.

• Upvote 1

dexer008    811

Tried pretty much exact naturia deck but it bricks alot, and opponent summoning anything over 2500 atk brings a lot of problems to the table, learned that the hard way when I faced a Blue-eyes Peak Performance deck. I think due to the nature of game the naturia deck has a hard time dealing with all those problems, but it can be a fast swam deck which ends the duel before things begin, if you open good enough and are not interrupted. 

I invested in Dawn of destiny via the sale, and now I'm pretty keen to make something decent. I pulled 3 headrush and 2 offerings to the doomed via it. My options I've considered are; working on the naturia deck as above, nepthys deck (only pulled 1 phoenix though), Fire beatdown deck (pulled 3 volcanic zone, +500 to all fires) or Fireking dinos (got idea from here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpOjFWljIMc)

Fireking Dino's is pretty funny as it just completely remind me of true king dino's in the TCG, and is as fast as swarming as naturias, but less bricky I'd say. 

Fire Beatdown is good too as it makes most of your monsters, even the weaker fire monsters, usually between 1800-2300 atk with 4 stars, more if you throw goka and fire types tributes into it. Being a bunch of normal summons though makes it slow, and all the monsters effects are either irrelvant to swarming or are just normal monsters( which you could abuse with many cards). 

Nepthys decks I think will have their place as a tier 2 deck at least, it's consistent backrow removal and can be searched with card of soul at full life/ hand of nepthys, and fireking island also makes summoning a 2400 body to field easy. You'd need ways to either chain 2 nepthys or find someway to destroy the field before she comes back though, as fireking island will destroy her when she destroys it, so you're effectively waiting 2 turns for her to arrive to the field. 

• Upvote 1

Inti    81
31 minutes ago, dexer008 said:

Tried pretty much exact naturia deck but it bricks alot, and opponent summoning anything over 2500 atk brings a lot of problems to the table, learned that the hard way when I faced a Blue-eyes Peak Performance deck. I think due to the nature of game the naturia deck has a hard time dealing with all those problems, but it can be a fast swam deck which ends the duel before things begin, if you open good enough and are not interrupted. 

I invested in Dawn of destiny via the sale, and now I'm pretty keen to make something decent. I pulled 3 headrush and 2 offerings to the doomed via it. My options I've considered are; working on the naturia deck as above, nepthys deck (only pulled 1 phoenix though), Fire beatdown deck (pulled 3 volcanic zone, +500 to all fires) or Fireking dinos (got idea from here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpOjFWljIMc)

Fireking Dino's is pretty funny as it just completely remind me of true king dino's in the TCG, and is as fast as swarming as naturias, but less bricky I'd say. 

Fire Beatdown is good too as it makes most of your monsters, even the weaker fire monsters, usually between 1800-2300 atk with 4 stars, more if you throw goka and fire types tributes into it. Being a bunch of normal summons though makes it slow, and all the monsters effects are either irrelvant to swarming or are just normal monsters( which you could abuse with many cards). 

Nepthys decks I think will have their place as a tier 2 deck at least, it's consistent backrow removal and can be searched with card of soul at full life/ hand of nepthys, and fireking island also makes summoning a 2400 body to field easy. You'd need ways to either chain 2 nepthys or find someway to destroy the field before she comes back though, as fireking island will destroy her when she destroys it, so you're effectively waiting 2 turns for her to arrive to the field. 

Yeah thats what I seen and heard from other people playing Naturias. Which is why I feel like Soul Exchanges would really help the deck and yeah I think I am going to take out Fang for Metalmorph. 

• Upvote 1

knives1990    287
33 minutes ago, dexer008 said:

Phoenix with fire kings is still a pretty good deck tho because you force your opponent to not commit back row which can open up easy wins for you by playing aggressively. A play I've seen a lot is people setting island over the top of another island after you destroy Phoenix 

• Upvote 1

knives1990    287
3 minutes ago, Inti said:

Yeah thats what I seen and heard from other people playing Naturias. Which is why I feel like Soul Exchanges would really help the deck and yeah I think I am going to take out Fang for Metalmorph. 

Just get some more super headrush. The card is so versatile, combining it with econ is the perfect defensive lineup for any deck. Adding battle traps like mirror walls will solve your problems 

• Upvote 1

dexer008    811
5 minutes ago, knives1990 said:

Phoenix with fire kings is still a pretty good deck tho because you force your opponent to not commit back row which can open up easy wins for you by playing aggressively. A play I've seen a lot is people setting island over the top of another island after you destroy Phoenix 

What does that accomplish? Won't the second island still get it's effect?

• Upvote 1

Inti    81
Just now, knives1990 said:

Just get some more super headrush. The card is so versatile, combining it with econ is the perfect defensive lineup for any deck. Adding battle traps like mirror walls will solve your problems 

Yeah I plan to get another Super Rush and reset the box once I pull a Tribute To The Doomed and Heavy Knight. 

• Upvote 1

knives1990    287
2 minutes ago, dexer008 said:

What does that accomplish? Won't the second island still get it's effect?

No, it's when it's face up and sent it destroys your field 

• Upvote 1