• Announcements

• rei

Battle of the Anime Characters   02/10/17

THE BATTLE OF THE ANIME CHARACTERS HAS BEGUN   Find it here http://duelistgroundz.com/index.php?/forum/615-battle-of-the-anime-x/
MAAD

Am I getting a good deal?

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

A friend is offering to sell his old gaming pc for $800 CAD. Says it's a steal at that price. True or nah?

Here are the specs:

Operating System  Windows 10
CPU                     Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor                            
CPU Cooler           Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard         Asus Z97-E ATX LGA1150 Motherboard                            
Memory                Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage                Kingston HyperX Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card            EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case                    Corsair Graphite Series 230T Black ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply        Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive         Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

Computer shopping isn't fun when you're tech illiterate.

Edited by MAAD

It's an alright deal  pretty great deal in Canadian dollars.  That's a 300 dollar CPU that's really quality even now, and it's all set up for you bought a legal copy of windows and everything.  I would take it if you're in the market for a fairly solid 2015 PC that will kick the shit outta Overwatch and play almost every modern game reasonably well

@Urthor is right.  That deal isn't awful, and you have room to make mods and upgrades if desired.  I'd probably try to haggle for it a little bit personally, shoot for like $750 or something.  Not necessarily try to low-ball the guy, but a little bit of negotiation never hurts.

the CPU/mobo is solid but I'm concerned about storage and GPU age even though they're really solid parts

You could do a hell of a lot worse for $800 but you're gonna need to spend some money on another hard drive.

the H60 isn't the best AIO cooler but it beats the piss out of stock, and i really cant talk as the H75 I'm packing isn't really much better except for pushpull setup

On 3/11/2017 at 3:58 AM, MAAD said:

A friend is offering to sell his old gaming pc for $800 CAD. Says it's a steal at that price. True or nah?

Here are the specs:

Operating System  Windows 10
CPU                     Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor                            
CPU Cooler           Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard         Asus Z97-E ATX LGA1150 Motherboard                            
Memory                Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage                Kingston HyperX Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card            EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case                    Corsair Graphite Series 230T Black ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply        Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive         Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

Computer shopping isn't fun when you're tech illiterate.

Current new prices of all parts from NCIX (one of the 'standard' Canadain e-tailers): 

CPU: $350

CPU cooler: $70

Mobo: $190

Memory: $95

SSD: $100

Video Card: 3.5/4. I mean,  its around $400 (not really sold any more) - but obv a new $400 GPU is better; the 970 is still very, very capable

Case: $90

PPSU: $62

Optical: didnt look it up its gonna be likje $20

That's $977 if i count $0 for the video card, 1377 if I count $400 for it. Without tax.

Yeah I'd say that's a p solid deal, but i still think you're gonna need to drop some money on a second hard drive. 

8 hours ago, rei said:

Current new prices of all parts from NCIX (one of the 'standard' Canadain e-tailers): 

CPU: $350

CPU cooler: $70

Mobo: $190

Memory: $95

SSD: $100

Video Card: 3.5/4. I mean,  its around $400 (not really sold any more) - but obv a new $400 GPU is better; the 970 is still very, very capable

Case: $90

PPSU: $62

Optical: didnt look it up its gonna be likje $20

That's $977 if i count $0 for the video card, 1377 if I count $400 for it. Without tax.

Yeah I'd say that's a p solid deal, but i still think you're gonna need to drop some money on a second hard drive. 

Legally purchasing windows as well.  You also don't need a new SSD if you're not installing a massive steam library, if he's just playing Overwatch on it and willing to juggle between c and d drive he'll be sort of fine without the investment.   

He doesn't have any mechanical storage listed. 

Posted (edited)

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I was able to get for it $750 like netreptodd said and I think the ssd is good enough for now. I don't see myself playing more than two games at a time. I mostly got this just to play Shadows of war and RDR2 when it eventually gets a PC port.

Edited by MAAD

Rdr2 may fill that entire drive based on recent games lol 

After the fiasco that is GTA Online for PC I'm not even sure they'll do a RDR2 port.  Just not worth the effort when their business is pushing the online component.  :*(