Sign in to follow this  
mark

Dino Kingdom Strategy Discussion ( + Dino Guide inside )

+mark    2865

Skill:
Dino Kingdom

Monsters:

Two-Headed king Rex
Crawling Dragon

These 2 monsters are the reason this deck exists, at all. Combined with the field spell they reach 1900 ATK 1500 DEF, which is nothing to laugh at. When put to defense, their DEF is still big enough to stall against Senju/Sonic Bird/Harpie Lady's, and when your opponent attacks you can still use Metalmorph in the damage step to make their DEF reach 1800, then attack next turn. They are both Order to Charge targets, which is huge, because when the Field Spell is gone, you can still get some use out of them.

Element Saurus

Element Saurus reaches 1800 ATK when the field spell is up, and it isn't an Order to Charge target. It's effect also requires an Earth monster to be on the field, and the attack has to go through: but when it does, it essentially nails cards such as 4-Starred Ladybug, Gravekeeper's Recruiter, Warm Worm, Cobra Jar, Pumprincess, and Yomi Ship. Since Crawling Dragon, Two-Headed Kingrex and Embodiment of Apophis are all earth, the card has a lot of synergy with the deck.

Tech Choices:

Grasshopper 
4-Starred Ladybug

Using at least 1 copy of an Insect monster in your deck is helpful against the Parasite Burn match-up. Whenever your opponent plays Whistle, instead of adding a Parasite, you can add your own Insect to your hand, so it won't clogg your field and you won't take 1000 damage. In addition, if you choose to play Grasshopper, the match-up becomes auto-win because you can tribute summon it to get rid of Parasite, Mask of the Accursed, it's 2350 ATK is big enough to get over Cocoon and Panda, and it's gemini effect is good as well: it can attack all monsters once. It is slightly worse against other decks, although it's ATK is still good enough that you want to see this card against Dino and Gravekeeper's, since it get over all monster. Only 1 copy of Grasshopper is needed at most, and Scorpion is a possible replacement, although it's definitely worse since it doesn't get over Cocoon, Gravekeeper's Oracle and Flash Assailant, which is huge.

4-Starred Ladybug is a more consistent card in general, it doesn't auto-win the Parasite match-up as much as Grasshopper does, but it can be broken in the mirror if you can play around Element Saurus/Jerry Beans, and in general it's versatile against a wide range of decks. Keep in mind that if you opponent attacks your 4-Starred with Element Saurus, you can protect it with Mirror Wall for example: this way, 4-Starred won't be destroyed by battle, which means Elemen Saurus' effect will not be activated: therefore all their LV4 monsters will still be destroyed.

Uraby, Jerry Beans Man and Dunames

If you want more Order to Charge targets, Uraby has 1800 attack with the field spell up, and Jerry Beans Man has 1750 attack, with or without it. Jerry Beans Man is LV3 which inherently plays around 4-Starred Ladybug which is huge, and it's good to have so you still have powerful monsters in your deck when your field is gone: but it has a lot of weaknesses as well. Possesed Dark Soul, other Jerry Beans Mans, and Dunames. I personally think it's a meta-call whether or not you should play him, but he's probably best in a meta that plays more 4-Starred than Possesed Dark Souls, and plays De-Spell/Twister as well because this card shines when the field is gone. I'll notice it's terrible in the mirror as well, since both players' Dino's will reach 2200 ATK, so you need to get rid of both field spells before this card becomes good again. Dunames is better than Uraby in everyway possible except for the slight disadvantage of being weak to Yami, which causes it to lose 200 ATK. It probably makes Uraby unplayable if you have it though. All three have weak DEF, although Jerry Beans is especially weak, since you can't protect it with Mirror Wall at all.

Flash Assailant

Flash Assailant is a very good card in this deck, but you don't want to play more than 1 or 2 copies, since drawing 2 sucks. It does conflict a little with Grasshopper though, if you play that. The idea behind Flash Assailant is that it's the strongest monster in the deck, doesn't care when your field spell is gone, and it also doesn't care when your opponent puts it into DEF, since it's DEF is still 2000. In the mirror, if you manage to get rid of 1 of the field spells, Flash Assailant will become the strongest monster on the field, and unless if they outdraw you with huge amounts of Mirror Wall/Metalmorphs, the match becomes very one-sided. It gains 200 ATK/DEF boost from Yami as well, when playing against GK, and in general is beats 1900 DEF Priestess which is good, since Dino's cannot do that. The card has big downsides as well though: you can't play it when you monsterclogg, your S/T space may sometimess clogg, and you're forced to throw your entire hand onto the field which forces you to be aggressive, when sometimes the game-state asks for you to be conversative. Especially against Burn you may find this card to be suboptimal because of the S/T clogging, but when it's good, it's really good.

Possesed Darksoul

Providing your deck with an additional (the other is Order to Charge) hard out to Relinquished can be helpful. Twister/Enemy Controller are semi-outs, but sometimes they just won't cut it, for example when your opponent will protect his 0 ATK Relinquished for 1 more turn with his own Enemy Controllers/Windstorm/Sphere Kuriboh, they continue to soak up your monsters until he draws his 2nd Relinquished. Possesed Dark Soul immediately shuts Relinquished down, their only out to it is Interdimensional Transporter, which some decks play, admittedly. Other than that, it can get rid of Jerry Beans Man, Venus + Mystic Balls, Cocoon, Gravekeeper's, and other low LV monsters which is kind of cool, but it's a very high risk high reward kind of card. It can be completely dead. Most topdecks play it though, since Relinquished is so prevalent this format. 

Thunder Dragon, Polymerization and Twin Headed Thunder Dragon

You play Thunder Dragon and Polymerzation to fusion for Twin Headed Thunder Dragon with a big 2800 ATK, while in some cases you could also fuse for Bracchio-Raidus. I'm not going to spend much time on this: it is garbage. You're playing an inconsistent engine that -1's, and that isn't even that good when you resolve it. You can play Flash Assailant, for example, which does almost the same except he's way better, but feel free to prove me wrong, as I've changed my mind on a lot of cards before;)

Spells

Order to Charge

It's a -1. It makes you lose field presence. It can be dead, not even all your monsters are normals, and worst of all: if you have 2 monsters and your opponent has 1, and you play Order to Charge, they can chain their own Order to Charge or Enemy Controller and target your other monster, the result will be that all 3 monsters die, which sucks. But it's still needed: it's your out to Relinquished, to Gravekeeper's Oracle, it can sometimes be an out to 4-Starred Ladybug, and tribute your own monster after it's made useful by Mask of the Accursed, to kill their Cocoon, Big Shield or Panda.
It's the kind of card that you always want to have, 'just in case', because realistically it can stop all powerplays currently in the game, therefore it's worth all the negatives. Play Embodiment of Apophis to make up for the field presence lost by this card.

Staple cards such as Twister, Enemy Controller, Mirror Wall etc. that can be played in every deck, are obviously viable in this deck as well. I'll go over a few cards I found to be especially useful:

Embodiment of Apophis

Has synergy with Flash Assailant, Element Saurus and Order to Charge, provides the deck with extra Aggression, or a defensive layer. The latter is huge when you have no monsters because you walked into a Mirror Wall or Relinquished, for example. 1800 DEF is huge, and can stall you a few turns, while 1600 ATK isn't too bad either, so it can be used both offensively and defensively. Biggest downside is it cloggs S/T space, so I recommend not to go something insane like: 3 Trap Jammer 3 Apophis 3 Metalmorph 3 Mirror Wall 2 Flash Assailant etc, since it will guarantee to make you want to kill yourself when you cannot activate Twister or Order to Charge anymore, but the card is definitely viable enough to be played in multiples.

Trap Jammer

Huge in the mirror, and against Beatdown decks in general. The card has lost some value since Relinquished barely plays any backrow, but in general being able to make a push through Mirror Wall, Windstorm, or to protect your own defensive trap against their Trap Jammer, is crucial and in a trap heavy format I'd definitely want to play at least 2. So this depends on whether you expect people to play a lot of traps or not, for example it's also bad against Venus which relies more on Quickplay spells (Order to Charge, Enemy Controller).

Metalmorph

This deck is aggressive, and most of the time your monsters have higher ATK than your opponent's monsters, which means they won't attack and your Mirror Walls are dead. Having Metalmorph which can be used both offensively and defensively can be huge, and the fact it turns into an Equip and does a lot of damage when attacking, fits pefectly with the gameplan of aggression and finishing your opponent ASAP. Has synergy with Apophis since it turns it into a 1800/2100 Monster that reaches even more ATK when attacking. It can potentially auto-win the mirror when resolved, is very useful against GK and Burn, but it sucks against Relinquished and Venus.

• Upvote 3

the4got10-1    17

I'm not sure whether I should go indepth into Thunder Dragon. It's more or less just a history lesson and probably irrelevant to this discussion now.

Long story short, it was the card that singlehandedly decided the Dino mirror pre-Age of Discovery, but became average when Discovery came out and Order to Charge became necessary, descending into unusable status when Impact (and Mirror Wall) hit.

• Upvote 1

+mark    2865

I didn't know that, I can definitely see the card being better during such a meta, I personally started playing after Neo-Impact, before Flame of the Tyrant, but to this day I still see people play it which is why I covered it. 

What are people's current thoughts on the impact of Heat Wave? Also, should the deck focus on normal monsters even more, while also playing 3 Order to Charge to hard counter Relinquished? Would Heart of the Underdog be viable in such a deck, given that games tend to be at least a bit slow and you're putting people for the choice if killing either your field, or the underdog, or is it just a glorified Shard of Greed? Is Wasteland playable, the same way that water used to play additional copies of Umi?

I already made my mind up for most of these cards (Heat Wave and 2-3 Order to Charge being good, the others not so much), but I want to make sure if I'm not missing something. 

Gojira    1704

I've been liking wasteland in the 9-dino version, since against most good decks Kingdom will be destroyed.

Heart of the underdog is definitely worse than shard of Greed unless the majority of a deck is normal monsters.

I need to try heat wave; it seems great to play on critical turns against certain decks.

Inti    50

Thoughts on Skelesaurus? Its a zombie gemini that can turn its self into a potential Dinosaur with 2000 (assuming Jurrasic World is on the field) with a Goyo Guardian effect, Plus it counts as normal on the field so its fodder for Order To Charge and you no longer have run Warrior Dai Grepher, Uraby,and  Jerry Beans (ran less due to majority of people maining Dark Soul). Plus it can work with the Wasteland Strategy. 

Edited by Inti

+mark    2865

hmm

interesting way to put it, esp with it being an order to charge target (but only before you double summon it, which sucks because you "want" to double summon it and you also "want" to be able to save your order to charge for when they have something)

but does that make it better than dunames/jerry beans though? in the end of the day, it's a 1700 that can become 2000 if and only if you summon it twice (so defend it from an attack once) AND have the field - which seems really situational. it's goyo guardian effect is cool but not game-breaking (in defense, so they can attack over it unless if you protect it again, which is probably a waste)

yeah I think all things considered it's not optimal and doesn't make the deck good again or anything. I do like how it's an earth for element saurus though

like I'd rather play either flash assailant or susa soldier (but not both) + dunames + the dino's + element saurus (basically what the deck has going for it atm), with or without order to charge (but something like 3 dunames 1/2 apophis + 2 order to charge seems fine, maybe 2 dunames 1 of this guy works as well).

I'd only play the 1700/1800 guys "at all" if you have at least 2 ways to clear fields, because otherwise there's no reason to play them in a 1900-atk monsters format

everything considered idk how you'd build the deck because there are too many contradictions (jerry beans loses to possesed, dunames loses to 4-starred, element saurus doesn't work with order to charge, etc.)

• Upvote 1

Gojira    1704

I think Dino still wants 3 apophis and 3 order to charge. You want to kill quickly

• Upvote 1

Inti    50
3 hours ago, Gojira said:

I think Dino still wants 3 apophis and 3 order to charge. You want to kill quickly

I was thinking about making Dinosaurs with that in mind with Heat Wave to Counter Relinquished and GK Oracle. 

Inti    50

My attempt at remaking Dinosaurs

Monsters:11

6x 1600 Vanilla Dinos

3x Dunames Dark Witch

2x Element Saurus  

Spells:8

3x Enemy Controller 

3x Order To Charge

2x Twister

Traps:2

3x Embodiment of Apophis

1x Windstorm of Etaqua 

+mark    2865

That's 23-cards fwiw

Anyway I think that, something like 3 Twister/De-Spell is still needed to make the harpies/stall match-up favorable, as well as outing Relinquished, especially now that Dino's aren't the strongest deck anymore - and I still like Flash Assailant or Susa Soldier, probably not both, but if you play the 3 Apophis there's no reason not to main Flash Assailant, and I'd even be willing to cut down on the Dino line-up itself - the only reason not to is because it's not an earth for Element Saurus, but that's strictly less important. You want to have a deck that's still decent once the fieldspell is hit. Obviously you can't play all these cards, so the build below for example has 2 Twister, but to compensate for the fact you can't out Sonic Duck as consistently, it at least plays a copy of Flash Assailant. 

For the record you play 14 monsters and 23 cards, so I suggest to cut that down, "even" with 3 Order to Charge. I may still like the Metalmorph or Xing even as 1-offs. I think I'd try something like:

3 Dino vanilla

2 Dunames

2 Element Saurus

1 Flash Assailant

2 E-Con

2 Twister

1 De-Spell
2 Order to Charge

2 Apophis

1 Xing

1 Metalmorph

1 Windstorm

Heat Wave is the nuts but very situational, and makes you play more vanilla monsters than you want. As long as it's a 1-off you can't build your deck around it, and when you can't build your deck around it it becomes worse to just "throw in a copy". 

That said, even if you optimize the build, you'll realize quite quickly that's it's just an inferior version of Harpies. Yes you could play the full 6 Dino vanilla, and maybe 4 is correct instead of 3, but this doesn't change the fact that they have only 1600 ATK without the field, and it's not like their DEF is relevant either since you don't play Mirror Wall to "protect" them from an attack in this case. 

You can't expect your 1600 (1900) monsters to beat everything anymore, without the help of (Twister/Metalmorph). You also just can't cut the Trap Jammer part and "hope for the best", because the deck loses to backrow, even with 3 Order to Charge, since you're never able to really play around Mirror Wall since you won't just run them out of monsters most of the time. 

• Upvote 1

+mark    2865

To be honest I'm not even certain if Element Saurus is better than the vanilla dino or a 3rd Apophis, but if it isn't, then the deck has even less going for it - so you'd essentially play this deck to counter set monsters, but even then that's pretty weak. Negating warm worm, 4-starred, recruiter etc. is game-winning, but you have to draw exactly element saurus + an earth for that to happen, and it requires only 1 E-Con on their part to disrupt the attack and get rid of the Element Saurus.

• Upvote 1

Inti    50

Whoops my bad I miscounted and thought it was 21 which in that case I would take out

-1 Dark Witch

-1 Element Saurus (Thinking of using less since not many people play ladybug or Weevil Burn with Pumpkin with the only meta thing it stops is GK Recruiter and Warm Worm. However I don't like the fact that a earth monster has to be on the filed to do so and it can instantly kill a Sergeant Electro)

-1 Order To Charge 

-1 Aphosis

+1 Twister (To counter Harpie and Relinquished)

+1 Xing

+1 Metalmorph

Edited by Inti

Inti    50

The deck is slowly starting to rise back in popularity due to Kabazaula that is 2000 beater under the field spell. Though people playing these decks are still using shitty cards like Thunder Dragons with Poly and Black Tyranny for some reason. 

Edited by Inti

knives1990    245
8 hours ago, Inti said:

The deck is slowly starting to rise back in popularity due to Kabazaula that is 2000 beater under the field spell. Though people playing these decks are still using shitty cards like Thunder Dragons with Poly and Black Tyranny for some reason. 

I've been seeing a lot more lately and it's really strong with the inclusion of knight of the red lotus as well

Faint    5420

I like thunder dragons but my god if you use them in dinos you are bad

Im glad this deck is seeing play again

• Upvote 1

Inti    50
9 hours ago, Winter Multi said:

I like thunder dragons but my god if you use them in dinos you are bad

Im glad this deck is seeing play again

So true and I feel like Black Tyranno is the same league as that card but slightly better. Hell the people I have seen main Black Tyranno don't even use 3x Enemy Controller and 1x Windstorm of Etaqua. I might rebuild this deck again once I get 3x Kabazaula and a Red Lotus.