Sign in to follow this  
DarthStannis

Gravekeepers for 2017 format

Well decided to go to my locals and dust out an older deck, Gravekeepers, went 6-0 yea yea it sounds bad but hear me out. This build is exceptionally good for this format as it does a way better job to keep up with the current format not only that but completely stops zoo and most meta decks specially going first. With the objective here making them modern, with heretic and hidden temples of necrovalley.

Monsters 13

1x Gravekeeper's Ambusher (weird I know but 2200 with hidden temples isn't easy to get over)
1x Gravekeeper's Assailant ( she surprisingly comes up when needed)
2x Gravekeeper's Descendant ( popping cards is fun and 2000 with temples
3x Gravekeeper's Heretic (highlight of the deck so good it's not even funny)
3x Gravekeeper's Recruiter (staple)
3x Gravekeeper's Commandant ( necrovalley)

Spells 16

3x Necrovalley 
3x Card of Demise( obvious)
3x Allure of darkness( draw power)
3x Pot of duaLity
2x Hidden temples of necrovalley ( so underrated and over looked)
1x Raigeki
1x Royal tribute( first turn= gg)

Traps 11

1x Solemn warning 
1x Solemn Strike
1x Bottomless Trap Hole
1x Floodgate Trap Hole
1x Quaking Mirror force( amazing with bribe and temples out)
1x Storming Mirror Force( same as above)
1x compulsory evacuation device 
1x Imperial Tombs Of Necrovalley
1x Vanitys Emptiness( 3 with hidden temples)
2x Dark bribe( for twin twisters)

Side deck 15 

1x Winged dragon of ta sphere mode (for zoo triple kaiju)
1x Gravekeeper's spy ( way to slow, allure targe and occasional first turn playss)
1x Gravekeeper's Shaman( same as spy)
1x Gravekeeper's stele ( too slow, never really needed i for this build)
1x Dark hole( becomes a raigeki with heretic on board)
1x Ghost Ogre(haven't sided her in yet)
1x Twin Twisters( removal is fun)
1x Book of moon( ratpier)
1x Anti spell Fragerance ( way too good, helps more than it does slow me down)
1x Mask of Restrict ( kaiju happy guys)
2x Lose 1 turn( outclassed by hidden temples)
1x Dark bribe (here for whenever I need the 3rd one)
1x imperial iron wall ( kozmos and infernoids)
1x torrential tribute ( makes zoos cry)

Extra deck 12

1x Number 39 Utopia
1x Number C39 Utopia ray
1x Number S39 Utopia the lightning ( for the big guys, most time I go to extra deck is for him
1x Castel The Sky blaster ( second most used)
1x Dark Rebellion ( if lightning dies too quick)
1x Traptrix Rafflesia 
1x Abyss Dweller
1x Gagaga Cowboy
1x Gem knight pearl ( lose 1 turn fun)
1x Number 66 Master key beetle
1x Dante traveler of the burning Abyss
1x Leviar the Sea Dragon

Need help for more rank 3 or 4 staples

I've tested 1 pot of desires , it helps but most of the time banishes , other things I would need. The deck is fun and holds its own against the meta, no spy just helps the deck so much more. Went 5-0 at locals, looking to make it competing every . Any suggestions? D Barriers are really expensive right now.

What else can I do? Thanks in advance. 
    •  

dexer008    779

What makes heretic so amazing besides being resistant to drident? You do know he doesn't get a atk boost by necrovalley right, so there are many things that can run him over. 

Dark bribe is pretty terrible, the +1 to the opponent is pretty much always not worth it, especially this day and age where decks can create +3-5 on their own first turn sometimes. If they are only in there for as you list for twin twister, the huge revolution is over or starlight road would be better. They also work against popular field wipe cards this format as well. If you didn't want to use those, magic drain also helps make the opponent neg in order to use twisters. 

Your side deck is.... interesting. You run a lot of 1 ofs in your deck and side, which while it allows greater versatility, is usually argued against due to the fact for some match ups other cards are way better then others. For example, Anti-spell fragrance is fantastic against metalfoes if you draw it early or destroy their scales, so you'd ideally want to side 2-3 in when going first against that deck. 

For the last remaining slots in the extra deck, diamond dire wolf, cairngorgon antiluminescent knight, rhapsody in berserk, number 82: heartland draco, steelswarm roach, super quantal mech beast grampulse, the phantom knights of breaksword. 

-------------------------------------

tell us about your match ups and how you deal with them. What decks are at your locals. What's your budget for this deck. How do you deal going second? Give us informed details on this subject and people will help you more. Props to you, this isn't the worst "first post is a deck profile" I've seen.

3 hours ago, dexer008 said:

What makes heretic so amazing besides being resistant to drident? You do know he doesn't get a atk boost by necrovalley right, so there are many things that can run him over. 

Dark bribe is pretty terrible, the +1 to the opponent is pretty much always not worth it, especially this day and age where decks can create +3-5 on their own first turn sometimes. If they are only in there for as you list for twin twister, the huge revolution is over or starlight road would be better. They also work against popular field wipe cards this format as well. If you didn't want to use those, magic drain also helps make the opponent neg in order to use twisters. 

Your side deck is.... interesting. You run a lot of 1 ofs in your deck and side, which while it allows greater versatility, is usually argued against due to the fact for some match ups other cards are way better then others. For example, Anti-spell fragrance is fantastic against metalfoes if you draw it early or destroy their scales, so you'd ideally want to side 2-3 in when going first against that deck. 

For the last remaining slots in the extra deck, diamond dire wolf, cairngorgon antiluminescent knight, rhapsody in berserk, number 82: heartland draco, steelswarm roach, super quantal mech beast grampulse, the phantom knights of breaksword. 

-------------------------------------

tell us about your match ups and how you deal with them. What decks are at your locals. What's your budget for this deck. How do you deal going second? Give us informed details on this subject and people will help you more. Props to you, this isn't the worst "first post is a deck profile" I've seen.

ive play tested alot, at my locals its zoo, abc , windwitch invoked. going 2nd isnt too bad, unless it zoo and they have naturia beast on board then yea there is not coming back. as for heretic theres not much that can over him with hidden temples, and usually have either negation or summon negation so tombs or bribe and/or strike or warning, meaning heretic will be on the board until my next turn. as for bribe well starlight isnt as broad meaning if they mst necro valley i cant activate , unless im wrong. but giving my opponent a plus isnt the issue, il neg alt more if i didnt have the bribe and they got to remove the necro. chances are they arent going to draw another twin twister off that draw, ive already played 100s of games with this build in the last few days and against the meta id say its 90% of the time. i lose when i go second to a good zoo player or just in that rare open where i open more than 2 monsters.

imo heretic doesnt need the boost, 2300 level 4 unaffected would be pretty broken . 1800 is pretty balanced, with vanitys or temples there isnt much that can run over him like i said if they were able to get 1900 or higher on board thats what the battle traps, trap holes, and compulse are for, to survive for the next tuen, in that rare occasion where they do get necro and temples out, lightning isnt too hard to summon for this deck, summoning him is usually gg. paleozics give me more trouble than anything else as they can banish necro, im think about siding royal decree or even jinzo. idk.

as for budget there really isnt a budget im just trying to make a decent pure GK build for this format, ive tried maxx c and desire , and honestly they slow me down more than help. only card i dont want to try right now is barrier, $80 is kind of ridiculous imo.

i recently took out one duality , because more often than not i see another duality and it slows me down , i changed it for the 3rd bribe and its made a pretty big difference. as for magic drain , the bribes are also good imo for when they try to solemn my xyz of heretic as well so thats why im playing bribe over starlight and magic drain i think its a bit broader. bribe hasnt given me a reason to take it out, never has that draw given my opponent something  that will completely f me up.

all the ones ofs completely stun my opponents plays and end their turns if used on the right card.

and rarely is it har to come back from going second against toad , he isnt much of an issue as i can just crash ambusher into him.

ive had many ppl fold as soon as they as that twin twister gets negated and they cant get rid of heretic. being resistant to drident makes all the difference specially when going second against, it usually pops my first necrovalley. more often than not i have another waiting for the pop.

completely slaughters abc, kozmos and blue eyes

like i said just a fun deck that surprisingly holds its own right now, just trying to see if my fave archetype has stood the test of time.

as for all the one ofs , i dont want to see more than one antispell or restrict or iron wall in my opening hand as taht would completely the dimisnish the point of the deck.

Edited by DarthStannis
    adding to response

+mark    2935

You could turn this into a Royal Tribute.deck by playing 3 Left Arm Offering, 3 Into the Void, 1 Upstart Goblin, 3 Pot of Desires etc. But the question then is do you even win if you resolve Royal Tribute, especially considering your opponent can still go Tenki -> Ratpier, and pretty much every deck that uses That Grass is Greener will benefit from having their monsters send to the graveyard, not to mention Paleozoic won't care either. You would also need your 1 card to be actually good, since you'll use the other 4 for Necrovalley, Left Arm and Tribute, so a Zoodiac engine would be perfect for it. But yeah I realize you're playing a budget deck etc. so this isn't really useful as advice. 

Real advice, your deck can only win when you set up a special summon lock, so you'll need to max out on Hidden Temples and consider Terraforming, more drawspells, etc to get your T1 lock. Once you reach that, you don't even really need much traps to defend it, you just need to be able to out their outs, because if they can't special summon they can't win either. 

6 hours ago, vig=scum said:

You could turn this into a Royal Tribute.deck by playing 3 Left Arm Offering, 3 Into the Void, 1 Upstart Goblin, 3 Pot of Desires etc. But the question then is do you even win if you resolve Royal Tribute, especially considering your opponent can still go Tenki -> Ratpier, and pretty much every deck that uses That Grass is Greener will benefit from having their monsters send to the graveyard, not to mention Paleozoic won't care either. You would also need your 1 card to be actually good, since you'll use the other 4 for Necrovalley, Left Arm and Tribute, so a Zoodiac engine would be perfect for it. But yeah I realize you're playing a budget deck etc. so this isn't really useful as advice. 

Real advice, your deck can only win when you set up a special summon lock, so you'll need to max out on Hidden Temples and consider Terraforming, more drawspells, etc to get your T1 lock. Once you reach that, you don't even really need much traps to defend it, you just need to be able to out their outs, because if they can't special summon they can't win either. 

This isn't a budget deck, open to all suggestions, besides d barriers, couldn't really justify to my wife spending $200+ on a few yugioh cards. as for royal tribute and left arm offending, yea I've thought about it. But many decks would prefer their monsters in the grave not only that their are many outs to necrovalley.

maxing out on the templs seems like a good idea, however I don't think it's searchable?

and if I could pull it off, I would need traps to protect it. 

How would the zoo zoo engine work for this?

Why haven't you maxed out on tombs and temples? If heretic is the nuts that you say it is, then the activation for tombs is a nonissue, and bribe seems like it's holding you back. Why pay for what you can get for free?

vig=scum makes an interesting point about royal tribute. I think siding it out in favor of a solemn strike or chaos trap hole seems like a neat idea.

For some cheap and esoteric ideas, I like the idea of wonder wand in the deck to supplement digging, but it's slow (a la reckless greed), although that 500 atk boost is nothing to scoff at. 

ive thought about siding tribute, but first turn is pretty much gg, ill try siding it out and adding some more traps instead of the bribes and see how that goes

Ehren    6

Ambusher is really bad. Its intended role is at odds with the justification you put down as to why you're running him. If you want to get mileage off Ambusher's effects, you will set it. Your opponent summons a monster and swings, killing it. If you want to use him as a beater, you normal summon him, a vanilla 2200 that drops to 1700 attack when Necrovalley gets popped. 

Heretic may be too much at 3. Cut it or leave it as is at your peril. 

Card of Demise is not as hot in this deck as it is in other decks. In order to minimize its drawbacks, you have to either run a very low monster lineup or have a way to get all your monsters out of your hand by the End Phase. Activating Demise leads to regret every time you draw into another monster that's not a Gravekeeper's Commandant, or a Commandant when you already have the field spell out. 

If you really want to protect Hidden Temples and Necrovalley, you should up the Imperial Tombs count. Dark Bribe gives your opponent an extra draw which means its only worth it when your opponent uses Twin Twisters or a spell with a high cost. 

• Downvote 1