Satchmo

2017 North American World Championship Qualifier

38 posts in this topic

Met with Satch at the event. over 2300 people. largest wcq.

pulled well.

halfway to a complete set of chaos emeralds attribute dice - I have fire, wind, earth, and JUDGE, only need water, light, and dark.

was a lot of fun. presently unable to walk.

On 7/9/2017 at 0:37 PM, TRUMPOLOGIST said:

remember when people used to discuss the biggest ygo tournament of the year?

9 hours ago, tonyvelasco1337 said:

seriously, the fuck is the point of this site anymore, no one posts here.

Some of us discussed heavily about nats on the DGz discord server

No offense, but what good does that do for people who don't use discord or weren't present in the discord chat at the time it was being discussed? Not to mention in the weeks and months leading up to the tournament, this thread generated basically zero discussion. 

Atem just said this was the largest WCQ ever. Obviously, there are a lot of people interested in it. Yet this was the least discussed American WCQ on dgz ever. It's weird.

Agree, I think people myself included should post the important discord conversations on DGZ as well to keep it up to date and generate activity, but it has to come from everyone basically not just 2-3 people 

not spreading rumors/misinformation would also help

nobody really uses forum message boards anymore

i guess discord works too well when nobody posts here. 

3 hours ago, 2k17! said:

nobody really uses forum message boards anymore

9 minutes ago, turceal said:

i guess discord works too well when nobody posts here. 

Posted (edited)

Thing is what was there even to discuss ?  biggest nationals ever but only 2 decks had any chance of winning it, where was the debate or discussion? When you have a stagnated format it is sure to deter a lot of folks.

Discord chatter had bugger all people on it really, just usual fodder. Seriously the entire active community seems like it is less than 2 dozen people now. UK nats also generated no interest.  I was supposed to attend Polish nationals but eh funds were dry. 

I don' t know , The thing is, Link Format will expand a lot of tier 1.5 decks ( tier 1 being zoo, TD and Eidolon and, I don't know how competitively viable they will be. Guess there isn't a lot to really talk about until September.

Edited by Ultimate Buffalo

1 minute ago, Ultimate Buffalo said:

Thing is what was there even to discuss ?  biggest nationals ever but only 2 decks had any chance of winning it, where was the debate or discussion? When you have a stagnated format it is sure to deter a lot of folks.

Discord chatter had bugger all people on it really, just usual fodder. Seriously the entire active community seems like it is less than 2 dozen people now. UK nats also generated no interest.  I was supposed to attend Polish nationals but eh funds were dry. 

I don' t know , The thing is, Link Format will expand a lot of tier 1.5 decks , I don't know how competitively viable they will be

warring is very active though

anyone who wants to discuss ygo with a group of people can sign up and get assigned to a team, there are private discords as well

I kind of understand that people don't want to give away their decks and stuff, that's the downside of it

I think interesting things happened this nawcq. for example some people topped / did well with off decks such as: paleozoic, lightsworn, magician or demise true draco. yes true draco zoo or pure zoo were the best decks, but that's hindsight: before the event everyone thought pure zoo would dominate (entire euros top 8 was pure zoo, for example). there was also a switch in true draco zoo decks where they started maining the smaller guys instead of focusing on master peace alone, that's a switch that wasn't happening before. to be honest there are plenty of things to discuss, I assume the people who were there also have stories to share etc

4 minutes ago, mark said:

warring is very active though

anyone who wants to discuss ygo with a group of people can sign up and get assigned to a team, there are private discords as well

I kind of understand that people don't want to give away their decks and stuff, that's the downside of it

I think interesting things happened this nawcq. for example some people topped / did well with off decks such as: paleozoic, lightsworn, magician or demise true draco. yes true draco zoo or pure zoo were the best decks, but that's hindsight: before the event everyone thought pure zoo would dominate (entire euros top 8 was pure zoo, for example). there was also a switch in true draco zoo decks where they started maining the smaller guys instead of focusing on master peace alone, that's a switch that wasn't happening before. to be honest there are plenty of things to discuss, I assume the people who were there also have stories to share etc

" Doing well "

But you have to consider the averages over however many rounds. PAleo went 9-0 then completely bombed for the most part, since the more consistent Zoo builds edged him outwards. so it was probably better than say 50 60% of the decks there, but the other 40 bodied it.

But at the end of the day we are at the end of the game now, with a new format and system in place, that is where the discussion should be going forward, but there isn't many good players around here on the boards, us more active posters are the least involved in the game altogether.

well you also have to consider most people entering on pure zoo / draco zoo 

I think draco zoo overperformed because people weren't expecting it and were too focused on  beating pure only, and probably forgot those other decks existed at all

but yea I don't think a lot of paleo players entered so I don't expect it to take a massive amount of the top cut. that said I don't think it's the best deck, but I also don't think it's bad and that he sacked his way through. it's probably a decent deck like you said, better than most but not better than the top decks at that event 

I think there's no reason to abandon this format completely, we've never done that, and as long as there's still tournaments / warring going on even for some people, those people can keep discussing the format. personally I just think people on discord become lazy and stop using the forums, even though discussing things on the forum has a lot of benefits: discord is like a big chat box, it can be hard to see the forest through the trees sometimes and there's a lot of spam