Sign in to follow this  
NetRepTodd

Amonkhet Previews

NetRepTodd    202

mythic spoiler amonkhet previews

Figured we could get some discussion going around Amonkhet.  I know there are some folk on this site prepping for the team constructed event in louisville, and I am thinking about going to the standard open in atlanta at the end of this month.

Are there cards that any of you find interesting?  Reprints that you like?  Do you like the yugioh looking mtg reprints of cards for this sets masterpiece collection?

+Gojira    1706

The set is great, the masterpieces are just disgustingly ugly.

+Mascis    4553

i don't think the masterpieces are that bad lol. the new split card design is awful though

+Gojira    1706
23 minutes ago, Mascis said:

i don't think the masterpieces are that bad lol. the new split card design is awful though

The art box is too small, and the columns encroach on it. Most of the dimensions of the design are arbitrary. The fake hieroglyphics look childish and are hard to read. The text is centered just to be different from normal cards. The Hieroglyph text boxes have the actual "text" centered to the card instead of to the text box.

There's barely anything good about them.

I agree though, the split card design is terrible as well.

• Upvote 1

+Mascis    4553

good im actually glad people hate them. i'll get a playset of force of wills and use them in legacy just tilt people

+Gojira    1706
59 minutes ago, Mascis said:

good im actually glad people hate them. i'll get a playset of force of wills and use them in legacy just tilt people

I mean, they're going to be the cheapest version of force of will, so I'm definitely getting them. 

»Audioslayne    909

I'll try to find it later but I saw a version of the counterspell invocation where the bottom half of the card was the same but above the textbox with the exception of the cardname it was all just card art.  That actually looked pretty dope and tells me they weren't as far off the mark as people think they were.

That being said the black ones look the best and the only ones I'm interested in (barring they decide to print all the pacts in this block) are entomb/dark rit so I'm quite okay with this.

The real loser here is the rules change on split cards.  As someone who just received everything for the grixis goryos expertise deck I'm pretty pissed.   It was a cool interaction that rewarded proper rules knowledge and was ultimately providing a t2 at best deck that didn't seem to be too bad.  If they want people to not be putting in emrakuls so early just ban emrakul, it by itself is a design restriction on all reanimation spells anyway.

ThatOneGuy    2005

I've identified the chase rare.

Soul-Scar-Mage.png

Standard seems to be lacking on a lot of support for this card, but it does at least make the two most relevant sources of noncombat damage that much better. Harnessed Lightning can now keep up with all of the indestructible gods we're getting and Walking Ballista can now shrink anything it couldn't just outright kill.  I think this will find the best home either in Mardu Ballista or some BR value/tempo deck.

Outside of Standard, this card is just an insane amount of utility for burn decks.

NetRepTodd    202

White has a lot of powerful cards spoiled.  A two sorcery win-con for UW control variants, the angel that exiles things when it enters play, the flash enchantment.

The GU enchantment that has a different effect every turn is pretty good.  Either draw a card or make 3 mana each turn.

I agree with @ThatOneGuy, Soul Scar Mage might be the red chaser for aggressive decks in the set.  With mardu sideboarding into a midrange strategy with walkers, the 5 drop dragon with exert, deal 4 is pretty good too.

really, really liking this set so far.  Black has been somewhat lackluster so far, hopeful that we will see more outside of lily and a couple of cycle payoffs.

ThatOneGuy    2005

Well, I was so fucking wrong. Harsh Mentor is nuts.