PSK

New Mafia Rules and Punishments

»PSK    4222

In the effort of trying to maintain a healthy and more enjoyable environment for all players, we would like to establish a consistent rule set of rules that will be posted in every thread. We are looking for feedback on issues that are not captured by this current rule set. We are open to considering eliminating content here, but all mafioso involved strongly agree with the rules here; you would need a strong argument.

Additionally, we would like to re-implement the warning system on a more critical basis, and offer mods the right to refuse players permission to play in their game if and only if they have received multiple infractions. Feedback is again encouraged.

Our main goal is to help create an environment in which people can keep their emotions at the door when the game starts, and keep them there when the game ends. There are too many viciously personal attacks that extend past the game; most of us suck at it and it's an area we need to improve in as a community. "Attack ideas, not players" is an idea we need to consistently keep in mind moving forward- we are prepared to heavily infarct players that violate this. When in doubt, wait 15 minutes before making your post.

Finally, we want to begin implementing. . .

Mafia Rules

No editing of posts. *

No communication outside of the thread or any relevant QT. *

No posting in the thread during the night phase. *

You are allowed 1 OMGUS post.

No game relevant content in an OMGUS post.

No posting in the game thread unless you are somehow involved in the game.

No repping game relevant posts if you are not an active alive player in the game.

If the game is no claiming allowed, you may not claim in any fashion.  *

If the game is no claiming allowed, you may not fish for claims in any fashion. *

You may not post or quote your role PM unless otherwise stated. *

You may not quote or allude to interaction with the host as evidence for an argument. *

You may not screen shot or otherwise abuse the new content marker (especially for the purpose of proving inactivity). You may also not ask others to provide  screen shots or otherwise abuse the marker. *

You may not single out another player to victimize for reasons beyond the scope of the game (ie. personal dislike, grudge from past games, etc). If a player feels like they are being singled out, that player may file a complaint to be investigated.

No bets, bribes, or threats allowed.  *

Spirit of the game clause. No attempt to intentionally harm a game will be tolerated. *

No overly-aggressive or toxic behaviour; including but not limited to use of slurs, insults, or personal attacks. Attack ideas, not players  *

You must read your role PM. *

If you are unable to commit to the game due to unforeseen circumstances, you must notify the host within a timely manner requesting a substitute.

Follow all other rules imposed in the OP of the game by the host. *

If a moderator feels you are posting excessively and lacking content within those posts, they can warn you. Repeated excess posting afterwards can lead to a modkill and/or a warn/suspension. *

All other site rules still apply.

* in addition to the below punishments, you may be subbed or modkilled and your faction punished to mitigate damage to the gamestate for these offences depending on the severity.

Warning Points (WP), Suspensions, and Bans

Silver (1 Total Suspension)

Markus (1 Current WP, 1 Total WP, 1 Suspension)

mark (1 Total WP)

Jazz (1 Total WP, 1 Suspension)

Digbick (Banned 02/05/17)

Based on severity of any above rule infringement, you will be handed either a warning, a suspension, or a ban.      

Warnings

Collection of three warning points will result in being handed a suspension of varying length depending on the cause for your warnings.

After the course of three games, if you have not received any further warning points in that time, you may request the removal of a warning point in this thread.

If you have received two warning points and attempt to sign up for a game, it is at the host’s discretion whether to include you in their game or not.

Suspensions

Suspensions will make you ineligible to sign up to any games for the length of your suspension.

Suspensions will be handed out directly for major infringements of the above rules.

Previous number of suspensions will be taken into account when deciding on the length of current suspension. 

Bans

If you have received a suspension in the past and have shown no improvement, you will be banned from the mafia section.

Game Rules

Game rules are to be followed in addition to the aforementioned rules in this thread. Failure to do so will result in the same punishment options being used.

A template for game rules:

X claiming

Ties will end in X

All questions for the host are to be made via PM
Day phase will last X hours or until a voting majority of X is reached

Night phase will last X hours or until all night actions are received

Lylo/Mylo will/won’t be announced

Minimum posting quota is X. Failure to meet this will result in X

Scum can/can’t communicate in the QT posthumously

There will/won’t be an ability table

There will/won’t be modkills for activity for days that end early

Self-voting is not allowed

• Upvote 15

+Logic    2040

Also, we're bringing on JC. to help approve games and support the community in creating a more healthy and less memey environment. congrats!

• Upvote 11

Faint    5720
1 minute ago, Zappdos said:

Also, we're bringing on JC. to help approve games and support the community in creating a more healthy and less memey environment. congrats!

oh boy

• Upvote 5

Top_LADD    400
1 minute ago, Zappdos said:

:thinking:

• Upvote 5

+JC.    4856
7 minutes ago, Zappdos said:

Also, we're bringing on JC. to help in creating a less memey environment.

KappaPride

• Upvote 4

Audioslayne    902

Came here specifically to see if this was in here:

56 minutes ago, PSK said:

You must read your role PM. *

Was not disappointed.

• Upvote 5

Jazz    4764

I like the rules a lot.

People are going to get modkilled for mentioning their host interactions I can already see it. We could have modkilled Markus on the final day in faint's game as a matter of fact.

+rei+    35452

> You are allowed 1 OMGUS post to be made at the start of the day phase of the day after death.

If it doesn't influence the game I don't see a reason to make the distinction between start of day phase or end of previous day / during night phase if the thread is unlocked or if mod powers allow

• Upvote 3

Jazz    4764

Not sure why OMGUS is allowed at all if we are trying to run a serious section now.

• Upvote 1

Top_LADD    400
5 minutes ago, Audioslayne said:

Came here specifically to see if this was in here:

Was not disappointed.

Never 4git tfj

»PSK    4222
3 minutes ago, rei said:

> You are allowed 1 OMGUS post to be made at the start of the day phase of the day after death.

If it doesn't influence the game I don't see a reason to make the distinction between start of day phase or end of previous day / during night phase if the thread is unlocked or if mod powers allow

the thinking is it helps to reinforce the "no posting during the night phase". omgus during the night phase seems to be a slippery slope into people saying whatever they want after day end like in the last few games. 

+Logic    2040
Just now, Jazz said:

Not sure why OMGUS is allowed at all if we are trying to run a serious section now.

Serious is not the correct word here.

The goal is not to be fun sucking or competitive or cutthroat. We just don't want people hurting each other's feelings outside of the game because of what happens in the game, and we don't want peoples feelings in the game to ruin the experience for other's playing.

The OMGUS point you+rei bring up is valid, I just want to make sure that distinction is clear. In large, we generally feel that if you don't consider things like people rage quitting in game, not getting subs when they need to, attacks against people after game, etc that the community is in a good place.

• Upvote 2

Sophocles    2791
52 minutes ago, PSK said:

If you are unable to commit to the game due to unforeseen circumstances, you must notify the host within a timely manner requesting a substitute.

I'm reminded of Gareth at one point asking to sub out, not because he couldn't play but for meta-game reasons - he thought it's be +EV for his faction. Not sure if this needs a clause to make it clear ppl shouldn't waste subs like that but then again, we're telling ppl to read their role pm

No overly-aggressive or toxic behaviour; including but not limited to use of slurs, insults, or personal attacks. Attack ideas, not players  *

this is a little vague, can we still meme that we all think tyranno is not a good player but he's still undefeated as town? what about aftergame threads? What is 'toxic'?

In the short term I'm sure we'll all make an effort to be nice but for long-term civility I'd like some clear standards or I fear we'll get some innocent jokes which will over time turn back into full-on flaming

+1 on "attack ideas, not players"

50% of the fun of an OMGUS post is putting it up at EoD so people have to look at it the entire night phase when they click on the thread. 

Define 'start of the day phase', what if the day starts when I go to sleep, can I post an OMGUS 8-10 hours into the day?

"Don't post during the night phase, unless it's your one OMGUS post" isn't a slippery slope. =-|

• Upvote 4

+Mascis    4385

question regarding game rules, is it kosher to not let specific people be allowed to sign up for you game even though they aren't suspended or banned? i get why we can't have frogman's stupid rule but i think mods of games should play a role in saying who gets to/doesn't get to play in a specific game

• Upvote 1

+The Antagonist    1667

One thing we wanted to discuss is having a system where people volunteer to host other people's games (ie I design a game, PSK runs it).  I know I've personally had ideas for games but not had the time to run them, and I'm sure many of you have been in similar positions. We'd like to encourage co-hosting and this is one way to do it also PSK is a lazy bitch

• Upvote 3

»PSK    4222
3 minutes ago, Sophocles said:

I'm reminded of Gareth at one point asking to sub out, not because he couldn't play but for meta-game reasons - he thought it's be +EV for his faction. Not sure if this needs a clause to make it clear ppl shouldn't waste subs like that but then again, we're telling ppl to read their role pm

this is a little vague, can we still meme that we all think tyranno is not a good player but he's still undefeated as town? what about aftergame threads? What is 'toxic'?

In the short term I'm sure we'll all make an effort to be nice but for long-term civility I'd like some clear standards or I fear we'll get some innocent jokes which will over time turn back into full-on flaming

+1 on "attack ideas, not players"

50% of the fun of an OMGUS post is putting it up at EoD so people have to look at it the entire night phase when they click on the thread. 

Define 'start of the day phase', what if the day starts when I go to sleep, can I post an OMGUS 8-10 hours into the day?

"Don't post during the night phase, unless it's your one OMGUS post" isn't a slippery slope. =-|

"  No attempt to intentionally harm a game will be tolerated. " is intended to handle the sub or modkill intentionally thing. Should this be its own rule for clarity?

idk this is harder to answer. going nazi mod about a bit of banter is not productive for a fun environment but we want to avoid any sort of personal attacks. if someone is visibly upset by something, we would expect an apology and a change of attitude from the perpetrator. this goes for aftergame threads too. It basically boils down to not treating other humans like pieces of shit? 

fair enough. if people are of the same mind on this, we'll allow for night omgus 

2 minutes ago, Mascis said:

question regarding game rules, is it kosher to not let specific people be allowed to sign up for you game even though they aren't suspended or banned? i get why we can't have frogman's stupid rule but i think mods of games should play a role in saying who gets to/doesn't get to play in a specific game

"If you have received two warning points and attempt to sign up for a game, it is at the host’s discretion whether to include you in their game or not."

• Upvote 1

+Mascis    4385
Just now, PSK said:

"If you have received two warning points and attempt to sign up for a game, it is at the host’s discretion whether to include you in their game or not."

im saying fuck the warning points too

what if i don't want someone to play my game if i think they make the game less fun for everyone

+Gemstone Mine    2602
7 minutes ago, Mascis said:

if you are banned you are banned. I haven't consulted with other mafioso on this, but I feel very strongly about this. If you just have warning it's up to the host, but if you are suspended/banned. then fuck no.

»PSK    4222
1 minute ago, Mascis said:

im saying fuck the warning points too

what if i don't want someone to play my game if i think they make the game less fun for everyone

ye we discussed this but i imagine it devolves into revenge scenarios of "you didnt let me play in your game so fuck you youre not playing in mine" 

what are others' thoughts on this? would you prefer more autonomy on this? 

Top_LADD    400

I mean, people who are bad for the section will weed themselves out with the new rules, or fix their behavior so they're no longer bad for the section. I think the rule is fine as is tbh.

• Upvote 4

Sophocles    2791
1 minute ago, PSK said:

idk this is harder to answer. going nazi mod about a bit of banter is not productive for a fun environment but we want to avoid any sort of personal attacks. if someone is visibly upset by something, we would expect an apology and a change of attitude from the perpetrator. this goes for aftergame threads too. It basically boils down to not treating other humans like pieces of shit? 

I guess that'll have to do. It might be a good idea for Mafioso to actively mediate between certain players if tensions rise high in the future.

I think a softer approach, telling people they went too a bit too far and should apologise to keep the game fun, might do more than immediately giving people a warning when they're being a shithead. Because 90% of the agression happens in the heat of the moment and punishing people is just going to make them dig themselves deeper in their trench.

Obviously if people are going wayyy over the line or being douches consistently you can crack down on them.

7 minutes ago, PSK said:

ye we discussed this but i imagine it devolves into revenge scenarios of "you didnt let me play in your game so fuck you youre not playing in mine" 

what are others' thoughts on this? would you prefer more autonomy on this? 

I sort of joked in the New Games Queue thread that if Myth were to sign up for my Nazi Mafia game, I wouldn't let him play. (This was before his ban) I wasn't really joking, I literally wouldn't trust that guy to actually be interested in playing, he would just stink up the game.

Just to show that sometimes, there's a good reason to ban a specific person from a specific game.But I also don't want to see it devolve into what you said.

Imo the instances of it happening are so few and far between you just don't need to specify the rule, or put down a guideline that it's discouraged but not disallowed. Let Mafioso mediate whenever this sort of thing happens.

+Gemstone Mine    2602

So I think where we're at for the time being is this:

Hosts cannot undo our bans, period. Hosts also cannot blacklist players from playing their games, unless that player has a warning. If a player has a warning then it's up to the host whether or not they can play.

whether or not that gets codified is a different story, but that seems to be where we're leaning.

• Upvote 2

Jazz    4764

Is neg stalking going to be enforced? It falls under sitewide rules.

• Downvote 1