buckwheatloaf

ZEBRAS

34 posts in this topic

zebras are noted for being a flexible pendulum and synchro based deck that doesn't use zoodiacs, true dracos, or dbarriers. they had some success in the ocg meta with the new support from macr. 

58gHJdy.png

zebra_are_seen_running_at_the_serengeti_

these are the lists we have from ocg that placed well in * large * (not locals) events

list 1 resonators

3x Zefratorah Grammaton
3x Zefraniu, Secret of the Yang Zing
3x Stellarknight Zefraxciton
3x Satellarknight Zefrathuban
1x Ritual Beast Tamer Zefrawendi
2x Zefraxi, Treasure of the Yang Zing
1x Shaddoll Zefranaga
1x PSY-Frame Driver
3x PSY-Framegear Gamma
2x Red Resonator
1x Ghost Ogre & Snow Rabbit
1x Ghost Ash & Beautiful Spring
3x Maxx "C"
1x Synkron Resonator

Spells
3x Oracle of Zefra
3x Zefra Providence
2x Terraforming
1x Cosmic Cyclone
1x Resonator Call
1x Harpie's Feather Duster
1x Mind Control
1x Emergency Teleport

Traps
2x Celestial Crusade of the Zefra
1x Zefra Divine Strike
1x Nine Pillars of Yang Zing

Extra Deck
1x Zoodiac Drident
1x Ultimaya Tzolkin
1x Leo, the Keeper of the Sacred Tree
2x Nirvana High Paladin
1x Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
1x Chaofeng, Phantom of the Yang Zing
1x Crystal Wing Synchro Dragon
1x Ignister Prominence, the Blasting Dracoslayer
1x PSY-Framelord Omega
1x Yazi, Evil of the Yang Zing
1x Metaphys Horus
2x Stardust Charge Warrior
1x Denglong, First of the Yang Zing

Side Deck
3x Ghost Reaper & Winter Cherries
1x Ghost Ash & Beautiful Spring
1x Ghost Ogre & Snow Rabbit
1x D.D. Crow
1x Ritual Beast Tamer Zeframpilica
1x Cosmic Cyclone
1x Book of Moon
1x Wavering Eyes
3x Imperial Iron Wall
2x Royal Decree

list 2 my personal fave

also stardust charge can search maxx c

k bye 

ALSO we have a themed deck lockdown, zefra path

ZefraPath-CROS-EN-C-1E

it cant be removed by cosmic cyclone  and providence protects it 

and it stops a bunch of stuff like lonefire/boababoon/scorpio/slumber and invoker/lyca/barrage/norden and any grave stuff like infernoids/snow/dino babies.

the idea is u play 1 and search it out when u go first.. 

I think this deck needs ways to threaten your opponent outside of the pendulum summon. IMO one card power plays like terrortop and brilliant fusion are good because ancient fairy and denglong are broken. Ancient fairy is especially good when you run the Sky Iris engine to help with field spell clog.

You'd probably need to explain what half if not all the zebra cards do, they've been that little impact on the tcg. 

6 hours ago, dexer008 said:

You'd probably need to explain what half if not all the zebra cards do, they've been that little impact on the tcg. 

latest?cb=20170429112825

Pendulum Effect
During your Main Phase: You can add 1 "Zefra" Pendulum Monster from your Deck to your Extra Deck face-up, and if you do, change this card's Pendulum Scale to be the same as that Pendulum Monster's, until the end of this turn. You can only use this effect of "Zefraath" once per turn.
Monster Effect
Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned (from your face-up Extra Deck) by Tributing all monsters you control, including at least 3 "Zefra" monsters, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. After you Special Summon this card, you can conduct 1 Pendulum Summon of a "Zefra" monster(s) during your Main Phase this turn, in addition to your Pendulum Summon. (You can only gain this effect once per turn.) Once per turn: You can Tribute 1 monster; Special Summon 1 "Zefra" monster from your Deck.

latest?cb=20150518173325

Pendulum Effect
You cannot Pendulum Summon monsters, except "Yang Zing" and "Zefra" monsters. This effect cannot be negated.
Monster Effect
When this card is Pendulum Summoned, or when this card is destroyed by battle or card effect while in your Monster Zone: You can add 1 "Yang Zing" or "Zefra" Spell/Trap Card from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Zefraniu, Secret of the Yang Zing" once per turn.

latest?cb=20150518171023

When this card is activated: Add 1 "Zefra" monster from your Deck to your hand. When you Ritual Summon using a "Zefra" monster, or Special Summon using a "Zefra" monster as Material, you can activate these effects depending on the monster Summoned, once per turn per effect.
 Ritual: Shuffle 1 monster on the field into the Deck.
 Fusion: Special Summon 1 monster from your hand.
 Synchro: Choose 1 monster from your Deck and place it on top of your Deck.
 Xyz: Draw 1 card, then discard 1 card.
You can only activate 1 "Oracle of Zefra" per turn.

latest?cb=20170429113534

Add 1 "Zefra" card from your Deck to your hand, except "Zefra Providence". If a "Zefra" card(s) you control would be destroyed, except the turn this card was sent to the Graveyard, you can banish this card from your Graveyard instead. You can only activate 1 "Zefra Providence" per turn.

latest?cb=20170429113916

Target 1 "Zefra" card you control and 1 card your opponent controls; destroy them. If you have 2 "Zefra" cards in your Pendulum Zones, you can activate this card from your hand. You can only activate 1 "Zefra War" per turn.

The rest of the monsters can more or less be seen as vanillas with small cute interactions. The resonator thing goes like:
oracle search level 4 zefra, red resonator summon level 4 zefra, synchro into stardust charge warrior, stardust charge link 1 oracle link 2, stack whichever monster you want and draw into it

10 hours ago, dexer008 said:

That's because we only got Zefraath, Zefra Providence and Zefra War, this set, in MACR.

Before, they were a bunch of support cards for themes like Ritual Beasts and Nekroz and Shaddoll, except those themes were hit by the banlist, so you didn't have a real deck.

Keep in mind, we've got a lot of recent Wyrm support like Waterfall of Dragon Souls so the Yang Zings are even more searchable than they were before MACR.

waterfall of dragon souls is terrible. why would you ever play a search trap? it's essensialy a blank card as far as your turn one combo goes. 
And Yang Zing can already present a better board than any other deck on turn 1 quite consistently. You can very easily summon a board of VFD+Titanic Galaxy backed up by Zefra Divine strike or Nine Pillars (rarely with Herald alongside it).
The main problem lays elswhere. If Metalfoes Yang Zing was a glass cannon, then yang zing after MACR is a nuclear weapon. Except that it's still held in the same very thin glass shell. One correct interruption will stop your whole turn. 

I've been having a lot of fun playing this. Yes, it's 60 cards, and yes, I know Grass decks aren't as popular so running 60 isn't as much of a meta call nowadays, but I'm of the opinion that the pendulum mechanic has always lent itself quite handily to higher deck sizes. 60 cards allows you to put in powerful engines like Brilliant Fusion, Sky Iris + Odd-Eyes Fusion package, Resonators, 1-card Denglongs to search either scale, board-breaking combo cards, etc. Your entire engine is highly searchable, as well as devastating side deck options game 2/3. Think field spells like Necrovalley or Zombie World (accessible via your Terraformings or Ancient Fairy) or literally any hand trap lol. The biggest most obvious downside is not seeing your hand traps in your opening hand going second, or your non-searchable side cards. I don't feel like doing all the math so you'll just have to take my word for the higher deck count also serving the purpose of reducing redundancies and letting you see your traps/search targets/"Garnets" less. But you've gotta get lucky to win anyway, high variance strategies favor the bold.

Some cheeky things I've decided to include:

- 1 Chiwen and Bi'an makes Denglong a Pillars negate into a Herald, into a Nekroz of Brio>search for either scale LOL

- Meteorburst can summon Persona from your scale, but mainly serves the Odd-Eyes fusion package games 2/3 going second

- Brilliant fusion for 1-card Black Rose before you commit to any pendulum play whatsoever, also I think Ancient Fairy is nuts. Can singlehandedly complete your scales or search for Zombie World/Necrovalley post side.

-Shaddoll Zefranaga is neat with Zefraxi (makes Denglong, or Baxia if you have Zefraniu access, or Herald with Resonator). He also puts back your Zefraath to hand to keep it safe from your opponent's turn, and clears a scale so you can float a Nirvana there when he dies. 

- only 2 Ash because that's all I have but tbh, I think Ghost Ogre is actually a little better. Hitting Zoo harder is good, and having multiple Ogre is good vs True Dracos (1 for Diagram on their turn, 1 for any of their traps on yours). And vs True king, it's necessary to hit the VFD on their turn and Naturia Beast on yours to even be able to play the game at all. Honestly I probably should find space for the Psy Frame Gamma package tho.

Still testing on ratios, side deck silver bullets, and whether or not some packages are worthwhile vs the current meta, but looking forward to seeing some more discussion on this post. 

Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 5.55.42 PM.png

I've been testing this too, also really like the deck. No love for the Gamma engine? Punishes your opponent hard if they try to ash your searches. Can be a little dead though

this is my deck right now, im trying it without tuners or extra starter cards (im not really feeling speedroids, brilliant, or dinos  since the bricky cards you have to run) though red resonator seems like the best one to me. 

http://imgur.com/a/qwb9C

there's lots of interesting interactions between zefrawendi, zefranaga and zefraxi, so im just centering the decks first turn combos on those. its like the list without resonators from the ocg. 

the duelist alliance engine with luster and impenetrable would always be sided out and could be replaced with resonators or other stuff. 

overall i feel like hand traps > combo cards and if u wanted to do a bigger combo first turn then zefra path as a hard-to-remove deck lockdown just seems simple and easy. 

I'm siding the zefra path. Don't get me wrong its a great card and hits so many decks, its just unfortunate one of the top decks this format (True Draco/ Master Peace), doesn't even touch the graveyard for summons bar their trap card, so it doesn't seem wise to me to main it, nor is great going second due to the fact its a floodgate. 

I'm not feeling the love on dueliest alliance engine either. Luster sure is good at filling the extra, but we have Zefraath.  Pendulum impenetrable is basically a weaker version of Zefra Providence. I would most likely still use resonators, the charge/oracle combo is just too OP, and much easier to pull off then pendulum summoning zefraxi or ghost ogre. Not to mention the free LP gain if you do pendulum summon it.

However the main gripes with that as well, is that the deck is trying to be a pendulum deck with all these hand traps and tuners in it, so i totally understand your reasoning for cutting down on those monsters as well and upping the pendulum monster count, or run more cards/ engines as brian done. There are times where i draw the resonators and hand traps and can do jack shit, which sucks cause I feel you absolutely need to run gamma, ogre to play competitively, so maybe you are correct and resonators should go.

The other main problem is the field spell clump. Unlike OCG we don't have chicken game for a free upstart eff, and while we can always use multiple oracles next turn they are dead cards in hand.  There isn't any real field spells that feel great besides some floodgates such as necrovalley/zombie world, sky iris which forces you to run more cards to run it. The one thing I'm trying is dragoedies and empowerment. Dragoedies is a lv4 to make charge, decent scale effect, searches zefrathuban and zefranga and other warrior/ spellcasters if you run the nekroz zefras, and the discard from the field spell can activate zefranga or fuel for zefrapilica, making the cost null sometimes. 

I think also the last thing we should try and address is extra deck options. Being a synchro deck there's so many and xyz's are also valid options  seeing we run level 3's, 4's and 6's , and the xyz oracle effect also directly ties into the charge/ oracle combo if you can't make charge ( synchro, stack a hand trap/ monster, xyz, draw monster and discard something else). 

i think the extra deck has 2 categories

1) cards u could make when u go first: stardust charge, m7 / vampiric dragon, chaofeng, and denglong. 

2) cards u can make whenever u manage a big pendulum summon with zefraxi to finish the game: metaphys/coral, yazi, baxia, trish or mist wurm, scrap, nirvana/leo  

thats all the ones im using pretty much. with resonators or if you get gamma to go off you could probably do stuff with nirvana if u go first, but i've not put much thought into that. 

I might cut nirvana, maybe trish. I've rarely gone into them and i feel something like cloudcastle and VFD might be good, or just to run more generic lv7's and 8's.  Been running beelze, with krebons main deck. Beelze really helps against the true draco match-up, as I'm sure people are aware why. 

Also, I've decided to main zefra path now, after realizing it hurts zoodiac a bit more then I realized. Plus i needed the room in the side. 

Where I'm at right now, excuse tiny picture; http://imgur.com/a/9VEqK

yeah i put path back to my maindeck too lol. i was thinking so it stops invoker (terrortop), barrage, lyca/rat, and IF, and drident/cyclone cant out it.  thats pretty good. 

im think i need to cut the zefra counte trap if i do but im not sure. and just use 2 zefra war+pillars for my traps. 

btw i think we need 2+ zefra war it kinda makes the deck unique and outs master peace, and is something offensive u can search with zefranui and use right then and there. 

Hey guys I want to make what I think is the biggest argument for running another field spell:

latest?cb=20170429113618

In case you don't know, decks in Japan would use Oracle as the target they give to their opponent because if they do not have a Zefra monster in deck, they CANNOT even flip it up. This actually stops access to Diagram insanely well; True Dracos would need to tribute summon using a continuous spell to target their own card instead of yours lol, True Kings have even fewer options for getting rid of it (Instant Fusion on an Ogre/Ash for a lv 7 Synchro maybe?). It being a quick play is sweet too, because you could just chain this set card to the activation of the Diagram effect and stop it from resolving. Not to mention games 2/3 you can see your Zombie World/Necrovalley easier.

Obviously I'm biased towards Iris in my build. You get access to either scale, Odd-Eyes Persona Dragon is a pretty good card IMO (Meteorburst to summon him is a spicy play), protecting your scale from being targeted by Drident while the other is protected by Providence is sweet, also Odd-Eyes Fusion lets you play when going second against big boards. 

That card is really good, I've been trying 50 cards now and seem to like it, I cut the empowerment engine for the iris one. I was trying this weird little thing; 

MagicalMidBreakerField-TDIL-EN-C-1E

So it sort of entices the opponent to flip it up because it benefits them. However when its face up you are free to do as you please free from drident, master peace, and strike. This lets you keep oracle when you use set rotation as well as run a semi-useful card. The last line of text is the icing on the cake, making it still like you gave them a oracle of zefra to which to stun the opponent's diagrams or whatever field spell they use. 

Honestly if we're going to be playing Terraforming then perhaps side decking one Necrovalley and Zombie World as one ofs might be a route to go.  Both worked well as sided techs in Zefra Yang Zing as their positives far outweighed their negatives and I think that can be applied to this deck too.

What are you guys doing to beat Droll and Lock Bird? Like obv there's the Gamma package and good technical play (searching Zefraath directly off Providence without going thru Oracle first, putting Zefraniu on board with 2 Zefra scales so you have some semblance of defense, etc.) but that card seems like such a blowout. It's so crippling and I hate having to make weaker plays that don't risk getting straight up shit on by it, only to find out they never had it and easily broke through your setup. 

As an aside tho Set Rotation has been testing amazingly. Card is almost Wavering Eyes level broken imo. The interactions between other people playing the card reminds me of 2016 Pepe mirrors too LOL

I wouldn't call Droll a complete blow out. We have hand traps and real traps that still lets us play with some form of defense, if anything like ash blossom or Ghost Ogre it's just a hindrance. The power level of these hand traps is directly in correlation to your hand (obviously - like most cards). 

So another aside I went down to 40 again. Playing all the field spells and abundance of hand traps with set rotations lead to more hands then I'd like with bricks/ garnets. So instead The deck only plays 1 terraforming. Idk why it took me so long to realize that, hey, this deck has 6 rotas for ANY zefra card, why are we playing something that only searches 1 card and in multiples or with the field spell is a brick? What do you guys think of this? Other field decks actually don't get this privilege like zefras do and I think we could easily live without it and make the deck much more consistent. Not saying set rotation is bad, but maybe it should find its home in the side deck, or there are better cards for the mirror/ true draco variant mach-ups.  

zefs r seriously a good deck for ycs origins and nats now. 

7 hours ago, buckwheatloaf said:

WE TIER 1 NOW 

How does Zef beat MP other than Kaiju?

Good news is Zefra completely styles on anyone trying to Set Rotation on Oracle to lock the opponent out (this also works backwards g2 and 3 because you can Rotate an Oracle to your opponent), but if it can't beat MP it's not tier 1. 

I do like Zefra a lot and I do think it has some strong memes, but with Magicians back, what reason is there to choose Zefra over that?

16 minutes ago, Bundle of Sticks said:

How does Zef beat MP other than Kaiju?

Good news is Zefra completely styles on anyone trying to Set Rotation on Oracle to lock the opponent out (this also works backwards g2 and 3 because you can Rotate an Oracle to your opponent), but if it can't beat MP it's not tier 1. 

I do like Zefra a lot and I do think it has some strong memes, but with Magicians back, what reason is there to choose Zefra over that?

zefs probably as good as magicians because it got a lot of good tops in the pure zoo/ draco zoo format of ocg, while magicians got 0 pretty much (granted they had joker and pend call at 1..) 

the outs to MP is zefra war, thats what made the deck as successful as it was in ocg i think (they use 2-3 of it). u shouldn't really be facing trap-immune master peace unless its a metalfoes or pure true draco deck. i dont think everyone needs to be playing the true draco trap card in their true draco zoo decks. dont think the ocg did that much at all, and even if people used it you still have a lot of outs to that card (zefra war again and cosmic cyclone if u main it). its a lot less reliable of a way to summon master peace solely due to cyclone. in pure true dracos they can have multiple of the traps set so its different. 

also u have a lot of big attackers u can summon like nirvana and zefraath himself if its a mid-game situation.  

Good thing about master peace is that it only covers 2 types, the field spell and his popping ability are what make him frustrating. Zefra naturally have a way to out the field spell aspect with set rotation, and the deck also generally runs ghost ogre/ gamma/ Thuban and like buckwheat mentioned zefra war. If the opponent does tribute a monster and trap, then you might have some trouble, as our spells are all searchers, but with their diagram gone you should be able to beat over it. Sacred Keeper is another good way around master peace besides nirvana or zefraath.