Sign in to follow this  
Conspire

I need help with my Mac

Conspire    2391

So I'm a pretty big noob when it comes to computers which is the reason I tend to use Mac products.  My level of tech expertise is "workplace god" because I can use excel/word, change which printer is being used and know how to email files to myself.  However my general knowledge would probably be laughable to most of you.  

A year or two ago I bought my brother's Mac when he was moving.  My needs are pretty simple and I just like to have something that's reliable and won't get viruses.  I tend to just work with things as they are, so I left most of what he had going on and just erased favourites and replaced them, etc.

He had the Mac bootcamped, which to my understanding means the hard drive is split 50/50 amongst Windows/Mac software.  I've been operating mostly on windows but have been running into some problems lately.  There's a lot of things I feel like I should be able to do that aren't working.  Things like moving videos/pictures from my computer to my phone, using iMovie, upgrading the software on the Mac side, upgrading iTunes on the windows side, playing Hearthstone on the Mac side and trying to install anything on the windows side.  Little inconveniences that are adding up and limiting what I can do on the computer.

I'm thinking what I should do is just start with a clean slate and have the computer be just a Mac with no windows bootcamp.  I'm not exactly sure how I would go about this.  I guess I would probably need to get the admin password from my brother too.  My guess is that I would back up my files onto a CD or something and just restore system defaults on the computer?  If I go down this road, what's the best thing to do?  Do you think I"m wrong in wanting to do this?

Things I use/would like to use the computer for:

- streaming

- basic web surfing (dgz, reddit, gmail, online banking, that sort of stuff)

- cataloguing pictures/videos and being able to move them between apple devices (iPhone, iPad, Mac) and my wife's phone (usually samsung products)

- making basic videos (mostly slide shows/compilations)

- basic microsoft office stuff (I'm of the understanding I could buy this for Mac, or at worst export apple docs)

- play hearthstone, use tracking software

- tax filing

And that's pretty much it.  This has all just kind of come to a head right now as my wife uploaded all her baby pictures/videos to the computer and I'm trying to get one video from the computer to my phone to add to an iMovie show I'm making and I can't seem to get it done.  It's frustrating and I really just want the computer to do some basic things that I feel should be achievable.  Just wondering what everyone else's thoughts are?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jazz    5068
1 hour ago, Conspire said:

- streaming

- basic web surfing (dgz, reddit, gmail, online banking, that sort of stuff)

- cataloguing pictures/videos and being able to move them between apple devices (iPhone, iPad, Mac) and my wife's phone (usually samsung products)

- making basic videos (mostly slide shows/compilations)

- basic microsoft office stuff (I'm of the understanding I could buy this for Mac, or at worst export apple docs)

- play hearthstone, use tracking software

- tax filing

Been using Macs for about 10 years for personal use. Everything on this list should be doable on a mac. The one thing I would test out first is file transfer/management with your wife's samsung phone.

If you have an Apple ID you should be able to upgrade your MacOS to whatever the latest compatible OS is at minimal cost. Well worth it imo. Your current computer may or may not be using your brother's apple ID, which could be a problem if you don't have his password. You will want to register the computer with your own apple ID going forward, but then they might make you purchase MacOS from scratch, so maybe that is something you want to avoid (sounds inconvenient, but might save you money).

QuickTime Player and iMovie are great options for making movies. Both should be included in an updated OS.

The latest Mac equivalents to Microsoft Office can open Microsoft Office files, but you can also purchase Microsoft Office for Macs for $150:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HKJB2LL/A/microsoft-office-home-student-2016-for-mac

As far as the Bootcamp dilemma, I think you are right to want to remove Windows if it is of no use to you. Do you have a separate hard disk partition for the Windows side? If so it seems it will be a little more complicated. You should only have to backup the files on the Windows side according to this link. You should be able to do all this stuff yourself if you follow the instructions carefully, but I recommend post/browsing on the apple help forums as well:

https://help.apple.com/bootcamp/assistant/6.1/#/bcmp59c41c31

Best of luck.

• Upvote 1

Conspire    2391

Thanks for the advice and for those links.  I will be looking into this a little more this weekend and will keep the thread updated.

+rei+    34494

I suspect almost all your limitations at present are due to not having the admin password anyway for what its worth. 

• Upvote 1

Conspire    2391
On 5/12/2017 at 11:00 AM, rei said:

I suspect almost all your limitations at present are due to not having the admin password anyway for what its worth. 

Yeah you're right on this.  Once I got his password I was able to get everything fixed.

I'm not sure what I had done before that made me think partitioning the hard drives left me with not enough room to upgrade.  I may have tried to go straight to the most recent OS which I found out from the apple website couldn't be done from where I was.  Instead I had to get Yosemite first and then upgrade to current.  Either way I've got everything sorted out and can do the things I want to do on the mac side.

I didn't remove the windows side because it didn't seem necessary and I'm glad I didn't.  There will still be situations where I'll need windows.  For example, I recently learned if I want to play Gwent I can't do it on the mac, so I'd need the windows side for that.

I'm able to do everything I said I wanted to do.  Thank again for your help guys.

My next adventure is trying to figure out how I can stream Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links from my phone to twitch.  I've been doing some research and it seems a bit overwhelming but I'll try to figure it out.  It would be cool to be able to make some videos for Duel Links.  I've seen some guys streaming from emulators and one guy Jangular has a good set up using his phone that I'd like to mimic.  He uses andriod but hopefully I can get the same done from ios.

+rei+    34494

the easiest but dumbest looking way to stream IOS is to push from phone to Apple TV that's connected to a captuire card

• Upvote 1

Conspire    2391

when you say "dumbest looking way" do you just mean if someone were in the room they would think "damn that seems unnecessarily complicated" or do you mean "potato quality stream?"

I was thinking of picking up Apple TV since I've got enough reward points at work to get it and nothing else really to use the points on at this time.

I'm not too familiar with capture cards but I imagine that's something separate that I connect to my (TV, apple TV?) to upload the image from one screen to another?  I'm guessing quality of image varies with price.

+rei+    34494

I mean that sometimes it has latency issues but it varies app by app, and you're adding another potential point of failure - you'd literally need to try it to see if its something that can handle it

Also some apps screw up with 'stretching to fill screen' when the orientation of the screen and device dont match

Capture card is pretty much what you described - I'm not sure what's good and waht isn't but I know the Games Done Quick marathons all use stuff by Avermedia. 

• Upvote 1

Conspire    2391

After doing some research I found that I was able to view my iphone game using quicktime on the mac while the phone was plugged in via USB.  From there it was a simple matter of downloading Open Broadcast Software and streaming the video to twitch.  I'll continue to work on the finishing touches and getting a stream up and running.

• Upvote 1