Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NB96

Advice on finding video editing software?

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Was thinking of trying my hand at creating my own video but I know very little about video editing.

I need a software which can do the following things: combine multiple video files saved on my laptop into one longer video; be able to shave off bits of a video (e.g. the first two or three seconds so I can remove the intros from the start or end). Additionally, ideally it would be user-friendly because as I said, I'm new to this. I'm pretty sure the stuff I want to do is fairly simple editing work though.

I assumed Windows Movie Maker would probably be able to do the things I mentioned, but I looked it up and apparently it was discontinued. Presumably it is ruled out for me in that case since I probably can't get it anymore.

Does anybody have advice for a program I could download safely and easily, and which could complete the tasks I outlined above? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Edited by NB96

Premiere pro is fantastic. There is a lot of material for learning and I always found it fairly simple and intuitive in general, free trials are available-
http://www.adobe.com/ca/products/premiere.html?sdid=KKQOM&mv=search&s_kwcid=AL!3085!3!193588457250!e!!g!!adobe premiere free trial&ef_id=VppS5AAABcJq4N14:20170525013157:s

I just googled a few and tried them out and the free sign up for WeVIdeo seems to have everything you're looking for (although 1 GB of cloud storage seems awful for a project). I'd say dick around with the free trial for a night, it seems like pretty good stuff and if you get your project done in under a month 5$ seems well worth it to use the suite.
https://www.wevideo.com/hub

There's also an awful watermark they put on your shit with WeVideo if you use the free trial, just a heads up.

Posted (edited)

Thanks, I'll try them out.

Also, do either of them happen to have a crop feature? To get rid of annoying black borders around the video?

Edited by NB96

Posted (edited)

Premiere pro lol.

Does everything you can imagine and more.

Torrent available for prem pro  + after effects and the whole suite .. easy to install.

Slow as fuck compared to Final cut pro x when processing 4k files but infinitley more versatile.

If you're doing colour correction and wants world class results in it along with editting, go for Da vinci. 

All 3 have a learning curve. FCPX is more intuitive. Da Vinci allows crazy levels of colour correction, real cinematic type results with lots of excellent tutorials on youtube. Premiere Pro has more options than Da Vinci and has better after effects integration which long term will probably help you. I'd exclude FCPX because its Mac OSX and  I'd rather be able to edit on ANY machine rather than a mac only. Da Vinci I'd maybe exclude because its just in its infancy compared to Premiere but probably better. Premiere is solid.

Understand video editting is a huge learning curve so you will invest time into editting video.. therefore I'd invest time into adobe since its one you can use at any time if you're pirating. 

If you just wan to crop and shave minutes off, any of the 3 will do it... just get whichever one u want. If doing 4k and have a mac and will stay that way, go for FCPX. I'd go for Premiere Pro. Youtube is a really nice place to start learning, you can pick stuff up really quickly there. 

[I've just recently go into video editting] 

Its addictive as fuck. Get After effects and have fun with it. You can make someone look like they're in DBZ. 

Edited by Aaron

Camera wise I'd go for an A6500 or Panasonic G85 or A6300/Fuji XT20 (if you can stabilise them) 

If you don't want to pirate/pay, you can do quite a bit with Hitfilm Express 4. 

Film school tried to get me to use final cut 7 but I told them fuck off I used premiere pro. For real you can edit raw footage whatever codec it's gucci

if you're serious about making stuff go with premiere but if you just want to make dumb ygo videos any software that can cut footage will work lol