Sign in to follow this  

State of the game

902    1773

Don't remember if this is the place to post this, but how is the game like right now? There's too much new stuff for me to catch up on and with a new mechanic coming out it even adds to how much has changed. I would love a quick summary of the past year with how the meta is like and upcoming news and shit. Thanks

mark    3104

right now the format is zoodiac "resolve norden/emeral X times and end on draw +X, end on Zoodiac Drident" mainly, backed up by hand traps/traps. Master Peace, the true dracoslaying king is also a thing. going first is important

like every topdeck plays some kind of a zoodiac engine right now

norden will get banned so that will make zoodiac less broken, but still broken/tier 1 likely 

the new link summoning mechanic won't be out for a few months though

Mr Dragon    296

Format is pretty shitty atm, like deckbuilding-wise it seems OK, there's a lot of room for innovation, but as far as the other facets of the game goes there's definitely been far better formats. Zoodiac is the best deck at the moment, to the point where the only 3 real decks (as in, you could probably actually win a major event with it) are all Zoo variants. A list is gonna come into effect mid-June (basically just for the Worlds Qualifiers), and' the changes will cut out quite a bit of the bullshit, but the makeup of the top cuts won't really change too much.

Link monsters and the rule changes accompanying their introduction won't be introduced until after the NAWCQ and the format will be drastically different when that happens.

»ACP    33376

Current format isn't that great, even post-ban (though pre-MACR was quite good), but the good news is that the goat format meta has evolved quite a bit online.

+Satchmo    3213

ok so I'll need to elaborate on this later, since I'm kinda drunk rn, but

There's 3 main decks you can look at before June 12th (the next ban list)- Zoodiac, True King Dinosaur, True Draco

Zoodiac is the best deck right now as has been said. I intended to post all the good draw combos, but realistically you're drawing an additional 4 to 6 cards on the first combo turn and ending with a defensive monster in the form of Zoodiac Drident. From there you can grind out and combo off later in the game while disrupting them with all those dank ass hand traps/real traps you drew. It's by far the most fuck deck unless you're some sort of anti-capitalist who doesn't enjoy extracting SURPLUS VALUE from by exploiting your deck. You also get to make use of  QUICKPLAY AXE OF DISPAIR

True King Dinosaur is a hard combo deck, rel;iant on drawing a 2 card combo (1/9 + 1/12) and going off into some combination of Multiple Nat Beast, Laggia/Dolkka/Dweller/(other rank 4) and True King BIG ASS NIGGA

True Draco is a deck that is similar to monach, it tribute summons at positive advantage and breaks boards. You utilize cards like Card of Demise to cycle multiple cards a turn. It also has a fusion of Towers + QUICKPLAY DARK ARMED DRAGON

Post June 12th, it's basically the same.

You can read about Zoodiac post-June and me shit talking Emeral as a degenerate card here.

True King Dinosaur doesn't change, tbh the deck isn't actually good but you can probably brute force your way to victory by stealing games with it, you draw the nut 100% of games if you believe in yourself. the deck also struggles going second vs Zoodiac, but that gets less difficult after the June list because they're seeing significantly less resources in their opening hand.

True Draco also gets better with Zoodiac seeing less cards. True Draco Zoodiac stays stactic.

New Magician cards come out in like a month, I assume they're at least better than all the other rogue decks, but I haven't played enough to have conclusive decision on how good that deck actually is.

If you can tell me the last set you remember coming out, I can give you a short list of the relevant shit that came out. This card is pretty notable though.

+Gemstone Mine    2582

zoodiac true draco is also relevant, and is distinct enough from the other 3 to warrent it's own section.

Post banned list, I think it's highly likely pure zoodiac gets phased out in favor of the true draco hybrid.

+Gemstone Mine    2582
16 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

New Magician cards come out in like a month, I assume they're at least better than all the other rogue decks, but I haven't played enough to have conclusive decision on how good that deck actually is.

even with 3 call and 3 wisdom, still not good enough to deal with zoodiac/true draco I think.

It has some nutty t1 boards, but can get smashed by blossom/ghost ogre going second hard, and also doesn't generally run blossom itself (although idk honestly if that's a mistake in ocg deckbuilding. In all fairness, zoodiac going apeshit t1 isn't a concern there, but I think you should be running it)

+Satchmo    3213
19 minutes ago, Gemstone Mine said:

zoodiac true draco is also relevant, and is distinct enough from the other 3 to warrent it's own section.

Post banned list, I think it's highly likely pure zoodiac gets phased out in favor of the true draco hybrid.

yea I forgot about this tbh

17 minutes ago, Gemstone Mine said:

even with 3 call and 3 wisdom, still not good enough to deal with zoodiac/true draco I think.

It has some nutty t1 boards, but can get smashed by blossom/ghost ogre going second hard, and also doesn't generally run blossom itself (although idk honestly if that's a mistake in ocg deckbuilding. In all fairness, zoodiac going apeshit t1 isn't a concern there, but I think you should be running it)

I actually saw it smash wrinklywinkie, but that was one match which is annecdotal. On the contrary side with 1 joker/1 call/2 wisdom, I struggled vs Demise Draco, and the extra consistnecy I don't think solves that match-up. They can just straight up attack your scales and outgrind you that way.

Regardless, I think it definitely needs to play Zoodiac cards too, so where  ever you look, you're playing Zoodiac stuff.

Sess    280

Zoodiacs are everywhere, practically any viable deck needs to play them. There is a ban list coming out in a week or two but won't really change the format, and it will likely stay the same until August-September I think they announced. Zoodiac will still be used in everything and probably take up 90%+ of tops. I think this is the level that it is even more dominant than Tele-DAD back in the day, or at least at the same level. The ban list will at least make it so players don't take as ridiculously long turns just to draw a few cards.

Also there are tons of hand traps, Ash Blossom and Joyous Spring is the new big one. Ghost Ogre and Snow Rabbit along with Ash Blossom are used about as much as Maxx "c" so practically staple in high numbers. Will often see triple Ghost Ogre, Ash Blossom, and possibly Flying "C" in main decks. Droll and Lock Bird is seeing some play as well.

Since zoo came out they have dominated everything though. It has seemed like our ban lists are a few months behind the OCG. They ban a bunch of zoo cards, zoo ends up still the best deck somehow, then TCG does it several months later. A lot more cards are limited/banned in OCG and zoo is still dominating from what I've heard.

I would personally wait for link format to see if the game gets any better. You could try out zoo on a duel simulator to see if you like the deck, but if you don't I would just stay out of yugioh for a while at least competitively. The other good deck that should probably be playing zoo in it as well is true draco which is just a new Apoqliphort Towers turbo type of thing where you just summon some unaffected by stuff big boss your opponent needs to have a Kaiju for.