ACP

Custom Limited Yugioh Formats

Limited Format Poll  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Are interested in playing a custom limited yugioh format?

• Yes
    • Maybe a little bit
    • No

Brandis72    10
7 hours ago, ACP said:

Drafting a bunch of good-stuff cards defeats the entire point of a draft. The games have actually been quite good so far.

XD I guess my view is completely different; I thought that the point of draft is to have randomized or semi-randomized decks that way the game never gets stale.

Also, there IS synergy in my draft: every common card is playable by itself, uncommons are synergy enablers, and rares are power cards.

What was your way to fix unsplashability via archetype lock? Do your archetypes just happen to have good synergy with one another (LS + Floaters, or some other similar scenario)?

Keep in mind that the main reason MtG is draftable, and not Force of Will or other archetyped games is that, although the game has five colors (of which you only get to use two, or maybe with an additional splash color and some duals), the pack size is very large, and the cards themselves are EXTREMELY splashable (yes, there IS synergy, but EVERY SINGLE CARD still works by itself, and there are no direct requirements as to what's in your hand/deck/ED): This is to ensure that no-one just drafts a bunch of cards that aren't even playable in their deck.

The other issue that comes to mind is how said archetypes manage to be consistent: Modern Yugioh, to attain even just a satisfactory amount of consistency, usually requires you to go the whole way as far as the archetype is concerned: you aren't going to play Shadolls without fusion spells, Necloths without Brios, GBs without Bestiari, HERO without Mist/Stratos, Synchrocentric without TGHL, and so forth. 

However, I'd be willing to give yours a try, seeing as you say that results were positive ;).

How do you get into LackeyCCG?

TKGriffiths    1
2 minutes ago, Brandis72 said:

How do you get into LackeyCCG?

Seems daunting at first but it's actually quite simple to install and use, I had it running within 5 minutes.

Nate1080    1171

After looking at the list of cards, would Necrovalley be decent enough to play in the draft?

On one hand, it seems powerful enough to counter a lot of strategies in this draft. On the other hand, its not something that can be played in every deck.

+ACP+    34066

I'm going to cut heroes from the format and add zombies. Zombies seems really deep on support and heroes was really hard to make work unless people passed you all of the insane support cards.

Please post of a list of all of the good zombie support to make my job easier (monsters, spells, traps, and extra deck cards).

Silver    1009

uni-zombie

gozuki

shiranui solitaire

shiranui spiritmaster

shiranui spectralsword

shiranui samurai

fairy tail - snow

mezuki

card of safe return

brio

shiranui style swallow clash

shiranui sunsaga

pyramid turtle

goblin zombie

kuribandit

painful choice

• Upvote 1

turceal    29

should add revived king ha-des , zombie master, plague spreader zombie (if not there) and book of life.

Edited by turceal
  • Upvote 1

+ACP+    34066

My Blackwing deck was fucking sick in today's draft.

nWs24Wy.png?1

• Upvote 1

Brandis72    10

Two questions:

-When do your draft games tend to occur.

-How do you make your own draft pools?

HERO being gone seems like a good idea considering the deck's (regardless of version) linearity and reliance on specific cards.

• Upvote 1

Silver    1009

After now having a good sample of the draft packs, I feel I can make some recommendations

1. I think that replacing GBs could be a big possibility. I think while the deck is ok, the engine is ok, and the single cards are somewhat playable, I think the deck is just too slow to be good in this draft, mainly for the reason that the other decks are 2-3x better. Zombies somewhat still unproven, from personal experience have a chance to be great can beat GB easily. Obviously rulers and BAPK can beat it and Blackwings as allen has show can easily beat other decks

All together, GBs are the weakest deck by far and I don't think theres any way to make them better, even if the rarity's are lowered, but to me that would be a hinderance to the entire draft overrall. Adding to that, its difficult to draft the playable fusions that make the deck even semi-viable and people draft the last shit cards of GBs is just not fun

So I would recommend that allen look at these decks/engines

Invoked

Windwitch

X-Saber

Gravekeeper

or

to me, cut GB altogether and just make not broken generic cards easily draftable. 

+Logic    2040

This sounds so much more fun with a more 04-07 "40 good card . dek " feel to it than trying to draft archetypes IMO.

• Upvote 2

Brandis72    10
42 minutes ago, Zappdos said:

This sounds so much more fun with a more 04-07 "40 good card . dek " feel to it than trying to draft archetypes IMO.

There's always the idea I posted last page: this, if everyone were to contribute some good ideas, could easily lead to a fun semi-synergistic (MtG style) draft.

Mine is Goat Format themed, but you can add some other stuff too if you feel like it.

The main real issue with mine is the really small cardpool, which can be a deterrent to some people.

However, the nice thing with archetype based drafting is that it makes the game a bit more predictable, and reduces overall sack.

It's difficult to effectively create a ''play around the staples'' environment when said staples are random.

I'll also add another potential idea: Why not, instead of making the draft revolve around ''big'' archetypes, simply use engine packages, leading to decks kind of like Flamvell Cat in Edison Format, or HAT. This leads to more thinking as to what you should draft, and also makes gameplay a bit less stale. The only risk is that rarities will be difficult to incorporate in such a style of draft: the only way to make rarities still work in an engine-heavy draft is to have engines mixed with generics; the engines are mostly common, and generic support or archetype-bridging cards like Chaos Sorcerer can be found at higher rarities.

I also think that it'd be worth trying symmetrical extra decks (they can, and should be over 15 cards) to reduce the chance draft-induced bricking, and to make staple-dodging more reliable (BRD/Exciton being at 1 in all EDs) .

Edited by Brandis72

+ACP+    34066
30 minutes ago, Zappdos said:

That literally defeats the whole point of drafting. There is no skill in just taking power card after power card followed by generic removal, etc. It would be like drafting MTG if every card was colorless. Actually figuring out what's open and deciding what to commit to is the whole skill of drafting.

+ACP+    34066
1 hour ago, Silver said:

After now having a good sample of the draft packs, I feel I can make some recommendations

1. I think that replacing GBs could be a big possibility. I think while the deck is ok, the engine is ok, and the single cards are somewhat playable, I think the deck is just too slow to be good in this draft, mainly for the reason that the other decks are 2-3x better. Zombies somewhat still unproven, from personal experience have a chance to be great can beat GB easily. Obviously rulers and BAPK can beat it and Blackwings as allen has show can easily beat other decks

All together, GBs are the weakest deck by far and I don't think theres any way to make them better, even if the rarity's are lowered, but to me that would be a hinderance to the entire draft overrall. Adding to that, its difficult to draft the playable fusions that make the deck even semi-viable and people draft the last shit cards of GBs is just not fun

So I would recommend that allen look at these decks/engines

Invoked

Windwitch

X-Saber

Gravekeeper

or

to me, cut GB altogether and just make not broken generic cards easily draftable. 

That's literally the same thing that you said about Blackwings until I beat everyone with them. You haven't even tried drafting half of the decks in the format and just assume that any deck that you don't draft must suck. I've definitely seen some good decks with GBs in them, and I feel like GBs have gotten unlucky because hardly any War Chariots have been opened despite only being an uncommon. How is difficult to draft the fusions? It's easier for GBs to get gyzarus etc than for BA to get Dante, since there's no overlap with other decks.

Realize that it's impossible to make every single deck exactly equally good, just like in constructed yugioh. The cool thing about draft though is that if everyone thinks a deck is "bad" then it'll be open every draft which will actually make it good (see: Blackwings in the last draft).

+Gemstone Mine    2602

as an aside, adding gks sounds miserable. Spies I feel like are going to be hot property for several other archetypes, making them harder to get for gks specifically, necrovalley arbitrarily shafts certain archetypes, and im not even sure it's that good unless you get multiple spies + recruiters + descendants. Also, is it even powerful enough without royal tribute? And I think we can all agree tribute is a miserable card in any situation.

+ACP+    34066

Yeah I considered adding GKs, but I don't think they're very fun. The archetypes that I have so far are ones that have historically been viewed as fun by the community. There are a few degenerate cards and interactions, but I've tried to keep that to a minimum.

Brandis72    10
2 hours ago, ACP said:

That literally defeats the whole point of drafting. There is no skill in just taking power card after power card followed by generic removal, etc. It would be like drafting MTG if every card was colorless. Actually figuring out what's open and deciding what to commit to is the whole skill of drafting.

That is what a badly designed archetype-free draft looks like: AI Battle Packs.

A good archetype-free draft will include playable standalone cards with discrete synergy with one another, and payoff cards defining deck types.

At lowest rarity, ALL cards should be standalone playables to reduce brick rates and make decisions less obvious.

At medium rarity, many cards should be synergy payoff cards (Creature Swap as an example) to prevent the draft from actually being raw cookie cutter.

At highest rarity, most cards should be powerful staples that require the opponent to play around them (highest rarity cardpool should be very small to make dodging more consistent).

Magic's best draft sets did not have super clear cut, linearly built archetypes... they had vibrant cardpools where almost all cards and color combinations were playable if you were clever enough to see the discrete synergies hiding behind their raw power. Shadowmoor and its hybrid mana mechanic, along with its highly splashable yet synergistic cards is well known as being part of MtG's golden age of drafting: everyone would have a blast, and deckbuilding was both forgiving and skilful.

Draft doesn't need strict barriers to be good, it just needs properly designed cards, and a clear, coherent intent. 

Edited by Brandis72
  • Upvote 1

+ACP+    34066

Yes, in MTG different color combinations were playable, just in the same way that in this format, different archetype combos are playable, and new combos are being discovered all the time. For example, when we first started drafting, we didn't realize how well GBs went together with Dragon Rulers, since there had never been an incentive to try those cards together better. Lightsworn goes well with pretty much anything. Some of these archetypes can be partially splashed with other things. Blackwings, for example, are often splashed into other decks rather than being a standalone deck. But the idea of just filling the format with a bunch of great monsters, staples, and removal makes drafting almost trivial.

Brandis72    10
57 minutes ago, ACP said:

Yes, in MTG different color combinations were playable, just in the same way that in this format, different archetype combos are playable, and new combos are being discovered all the time. For example, when we first started drafting, we didn't realize how well GBs went together with Dragon Rulers, since there had never been an incentive to try those cards together better. Lightsworn goes well with pretty much anything. Some of these archetypes can be partially splashed with other things. Blackwings, for example, are often splashed into other decks rather than being a standalone deck. But the idea of just filling the format with a bunch of great monsters, staples, and removal makes drafting almost trivial.

GB Rulers XD. Damn, how does that work? Do you just use Blaster as removal and then as a means of running over the opponent's

monsters and creating tempo?

This does seem odd when you consider the deck's reliance on Darius, but then again.

That aside, I never said that archetype draft was bad; when done right, it's quite good... It's just that ''old fashioned'' draft also works when done right.

Good ''old fashioned'' draft DOES NOT mean cookie cutter. A format where you can build recruiter based midrange decks, flip/flop based control decks, and burn/warrior based aggro decks is NOT necessarily brainless, and works better than it might seem on paper because you can also hybrid these decks even when your stuff gets overdrafted/pack screwed.

That aside, when do your drafts usually occur? I'm still trying to find them and participate in them, and, thus far, have not succeeded.

Edited by Brandis72

+ACP+    34066

Just join our discord, that's where we set up our drafts: https://discord.gg/F5Ku3w

Brandis72    10

Here's an idea very similar to yours, but that I tweaked to my own preference.

I'm hoping to go into game design so I always try to create things when I can; this isn't meant to be rude, and I just want to practice.

The main ideas behind this are to improve draft quality/consistency by getting rid of bad ''fluff'' cards and making the whole card pool playable.

ED monsters have been removed from the draft, and the ED instead works as it would in constructed, with a small limited list, and max 2 per card to tone it down; ED size is infinite to not weaken BW more than other decks due to its high mechanical versatility.

Archetype rares were designed to not be sacky, and all of them are toolboxable, and fair; Archetypes uncommons are either situational/build specific cards, or were deemed too powerful to be common, without also being necessary to the decks in multiples; Archetype commons are all either core engine cards or playable filler/support.

I decided that it might be necessary to triple-print the generic S/T pool due to a lack of good options, and the format's obvious skew towards monsters.

Heavy Storm/Dark Hole may be extremely powerful, but they're there to discourage over-extension, and, despite being rares, should show up at least semi-consistently due to triple-print.

One last thing to keep in mind: some of the archetype support may seem arbitrary or maybe even useless, but it's just there for organizational purposes and it all makes sense when you see the generic monster pool, or the potential archetype splices.

All criticism is encouraged and accepted.

3 PACKS PER PERSON, 40 CARD DECK, CUSTOM (UP TO TWO COPIES PER CARD, INFINITE TOTAL NUMBER) EXTRA DECK (NOT DRAFTED)

PACK= 1 RARE, 5 UNCOMMON, 10 COMMON

Lightsworns:

RARES=

Fairy Tail - Snow

Peropero Cerperus

UNCOMMONS=

Lumina, Lightsworn Summoner

Minerva, Lightsworn Maiden

Wulf, Lightsworn Beast

Honest

Judgment Dragon

Necro Gardna

COMMONS=

Raiden, Hand of the Lightsworn

Lyla, Lightsworn Sorceress

Jain, Lightsworn Paladin

Ryko, Lightsworn Hunter

Lightray Diabolos

Charge of the Light Brigade

Solar Recharge

Reinforcement of the Army

Gladiator Beasts:

RARES=

Gladiator Beast Noxius

Gladiator Beast Secutor

UNCOMMONS=

Gladiator Beast Murmillo

Gladiator Beast Equeste

Gladiator Beast Lanista

Gladiator Beast Samnite

Rescue Cat

Elemental HERO Prisma

COMMONS=

Gladiator Beast Darius

Gladiator Beast Lacquari

Gladiator Beast Bestiari

Test Tiger

Gladiator Beast<s Respite

Gladiator Beast War Chariot

Shrink

Waboku

Blackwings:

RARES=

Blackwing - Gofu the Vague Shadow

Blackwing - Zephyros the Elite

UNCOMMONS=

Blackwing - Vayu the Emblem of Honor

Blackwing - Blizzard the Far North

Blackwing - Pinaki the Waxing Moon

Blackwing - Kris the Crack of Dawn

Blackwing - Harmattan the Dust

Delta Crow - Anti Reverse

COMMONS=

Blackwing - Gale the Whirlwind

Blackwing - Sirocco the Dawn

Blackwing - Shura the Blue Flame

Blackwing - Bora the Spear

Blackwing - Kalut the Moon Shadow

Allure of Darkness

Black Sonic

Icarus Attack

Zombies:

RARES=

Blue-Blooded Oni

Shiranui Spectralsword

UNCOMMONS=

Shiranui Solitaire

Shiranui Spiritmaster

Gozuki

Zombie Master

Book of Life

Gold Sarcophagus

COMMONS=

Mystic Tomato

Pyramid Turtle

Goblin Zombie

Mezuki

Shiranui Samurai

Uni-Zombie

Plaguespreader Zombie

Foolish Burial

Fire Fists:

UNCOMMONS=

Coach Soldier Wolfbark

Brotherhood of the Fire Fist - Dragon

Fire Formation - Tensu

COMMONS=

Brotherhood of the Fire Fist - Bear

Brotherhood of the Fire Fist - Gorilla

Fire Formation - Tenki

Fire Formation - Tensen

Phantom Knights=

UNCOMMONS=

Phantom Knights< Fog Blade

The Phantom Knights of Ragged Gloves

Magic Planter

COMMONS=

Phantom Knights< Sword

Phantom Knights< Wing

The Phantom Knights of Ancient Cloak

The Phantom Knights of Silent Boots

Traptrix=

UNCOMMONS=

Bottomless Trap Hole

Traptrix Dionaea

Traptrix Nepenthes

COMMONS=

Time-Space Trap Hole

Trap Hole

Traptrix Trap Hole Nightmare

Traptrix Myrmeleo

Gadgets=

UNCOMMONS=

Silver Gadget

Gold Gadget

Machina Gearframe

COMMONS=

Red Gadget

Yellow Gadget

Green Gadget

Machina Fortress

Generics(Monster)

RARES=

Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning

Gorz the Emissary of Darkness

UNCOMMONS=

Chaos Emperor Dragon – Envoy of the End (errata)

Chaos Sorcerer

Tragoedia

Eclipse Wyvern

Doomcaliber Knight

Neo-Spacian Grand Mole

Sangan

Tour Guide from the Underworld

Fire Hand

Ice Hand

COMMONS=

Caius the Shadow Monarch

Raiza the Storm Monarch

Tin Goldfish

Goblindbergh

Photon Thrasher

D.D. Warrior Lady

Night Assailant

Armageddon Knight

Dark Grepher

D.D. Crow

Effect Veiler

Ghost Ogre and Snow Rabbit

Cyber Dragon

White Dragon Wyverburster

Black Dragon Collapserpent

Generics(S/T): ALL TRIPLEPRINTED (3X AS FREQUENT AS OTHER CARDS IN THE SAME RARITY)

RARES=

Dark Hole

Heavy Storm

Solemn Judgment

UNCOMMONS=

Mystical Space Typhoon

Premature Burial

Ring of Destruction (errata)

Dimensional Prison

Mirror Force

Torrential Tribute

Compulsory Evacuation Device

Solemn Strike

Solemn Warning

COMMONS=

Smashing Ground

Book of Moon

Forbidden Lance

Paleozoic Olenoides

Paleozoic Canadia

Paleozoic Dinomischus

Sakuretsu Armor

Widespread Ruin

Black Horn of Heaven

Breakthrough Skill

Fiendish Chain

Call of the Haunted

ED Monsters (archetyped ones first):

Gladiator Beast Gyzarus

Gladiator Beast Heraklinos

Gladiator Beast Essedarii

Blackwing Armor Master

Blackwing Tamer – Obsidian Hawk Joe

Blackwing – Nothung the Starlight

Michael, the Arch-Lightsworn

Shiranui Shogunsaga

Shiranui Samuraisaga

Revived King Ha Des

Brotherhood of the Fire Fist – Tiger King

Gear Gigant X

Number 66 – Master Key Beetle

Stardust Spark Dragon LIMITED

Thought Ruler Archfiend

Scrap Dragon

Black Rose Dragon LIMITED

PSY-Framelord Zeta

Yazi, Evil of the Yang Zing

Goyo Guardian LIMITED

Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier (errata)

Virgil, Rock Star of the Burning Abyss

Ally of Justice Catastor LIMITED

Armades, Keeper of Boundaries

Lavalval Chain

Evilswarm Exciton Knight LIMITED

Number 101 – Silent Honor ARK LIMITED

Diamond Dire Wolf

Number 39 – Utopia

Number S39 – Utopia Prime

Cairngorgon, Antiluminescent Knight

The Phantom Knights of Break Sword LIMITED

Dante, Traveler of the Burning Abyss

Wind-Up Zenmaines

Sky Cavalry Centaurea

Edited by Brandis72

+mmf    23263

you dont need to limit things in draft lol

especially not extra deck monsters

Brandis72    10
8 hours ago, mmf said:

you dont need to limit things in draft lol

especially not extra deck monsters

I'm not sure if you kept this in consideration: ED monsters ARE NOT drafted, they are added to your deck like they would be in constructed, except that the ED is infinite, and that you can only play up to two copies of each card unless otherwise specified.

If you were aware of that and still think that it's unfit, do you have any suggestions for weaker, but still playable ED monsters?

Only Main deck/Sideboard leftovers are drafted.

Also, before someone else calls me on it, Gladiator Beast Noxius is a brand new OCG card: http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gladiator_Beast_Noxius

Edited by Brandis72

Brandis72    10

Realized by my self that I made LS really shitty; overhauled the archetype cardpool and downgraded key cards to make it better.

Also changed/removed a few generics.

changelog:

Lightsworn

RARES=

Performage Trick Clown

Electromagnetic Turtle

UNCOMMONS=

Minerva, Lightsworn Maiden

Felis, Lightsworn Archer

Fairy Tail - Snow

Eclipse Wyvern

Jain, Lightsworn Paladin

Peropero Cerperus

COMMONS=

Raiden, Hand of the Lightsworn

Lyla, Lightsworn Sorceress

Wulf, Lightsworn Beast

Judgment Dragon

Lumina, Lightsworn Summoner

Charge of the Light Brigade

Solar Recharge

Reinforcement of the Army

Generics(Monster)

UNCOMMONS=

Gorz the Emissary of Darkness

Chaos Emperor Dragon – Envoy of the End (errata)

Chaos Sorcerer

Tragoedia

Sangan

Tour Guide from the Underworld

COMMONS=

Caius the Shadow Monarch

Raiza the Storm Monarch

Tin Goldfish

Goblindbergh

Photon Thrasher

Archfiend Eccentrick

Doomcaliber Knight