ACP

Custom Limited Yugioh Formats

Limited Format Poll  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Are interested in playing a custom limited yugioh format?

• Yes
    • Maybe a little bit
    • No

+ACP+    34066

One of the nice things about LackeyCCG is the ability to play draft and sealed. The YugiohDGZ plugin already comes with BP02 packs pre-installed. It's quite easy to play BP02 draft or sealed right now (although it would be quite awkward to draft in particular, given that there are only 5 cards per pack).

One possibly of course is cube draft, but this becomes difficult to implement because you have to make sure that the same card doesn't get opened multiple times. Given that you need some 400+ unique cards, this also poses some awkward design limitations where you have to add a lot of "good stuff" cards and very many synergy-based cards since everything is a one-of.

Rather, I think it would be better to just create a limited format MTG-style. Where we design a set with roughly some 200-300 unique cards, assign each them of them a rarity (common, uncommon, rare, super rare), and draft as normal. Obviously, our limited format would probably be very unbalanced at first (some archetypes being way better than others), but we would tune and test it as we go.

MTG has 5 colors and people usually draft 2 color combinations (so 10 possible combinations), which seems to work pretty well for a limited format. Obviously Yugioh doesn't have colors, but we do have archetypes. So one of our first considerations would be which archetypes we want in our limited format. Here are some possibilities, although there are lots more:

- Chaos

- Lightsworn

- Burning Abyss

- Gladiator Beast

- Pendulum

- Zoodiac

- Fire fist

- Monarch/Tribute theme

- Blackwing

- Infernoid

- Mermail

I'm interested in which archetypes and/or engines that you guys think would play well in a Yugioh limited format (for those who are interested at all). Ideally, I'd like there to be some possible archetype combinations. For example, above you'll notice that you could easily combine Lightsworn and Burning Abyss. I find that allowing for combination possibles is better since it requires more decisions to be made on part of those drafting.

Thoughts?

• Upvote 1

+Mascis    4385

I've always wanted yugioh to have something like this, and I think the implementation of the battle packs and the draft format for the ycs was done kinda poorly

i like the idea of a moden masters sort of set like you suggested. There definitely should be a mix of good cards in the set though to go along with the archetypes 

i think board centric archtypes are the way the way to go for this. Things like 

glads, black wing, fire fist, infernity, monarchs could work. You could also have Geargia, gadgets, machina, t.g., plant support, dinosaurs. Not sure what is the best combination of all these 

I think something like burning abyss and zodiac should be avoided based on just how powerful the things that these archtypes do. Obviously you could just curb what cards they get, but if you have to do that then why would you include them in the first place right?

+ACP+    34066

A lot of Burning Abyss cards are pretty fair and fun if you don't give them ridiculous support. I agree that Zoodiac is probably a bit too powerful.

Really, there would be 3 categories of cards:

- Archetype cards (lightsworn, gladiator beast, etc)

- Engine cards (basically like an archetype but smaller in scale, perhaps phantom knights or destiny draw + malicious for example)

- Good stuff cards (dark hole, MST, etc)

+Mascis    4385

So yeah ive been think about this for a few days and came up with 300 cards

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hRrdO2dk3OUblD3S5bcf2vDQc412IA87jWYdGqEoxdk/edit?usp=sharing

not saying that this list is the best ever, kinda just threw a bunch of ideas together.

separated cards into rarities based off of MTG rarities.

i think you need 17 or 18 card packs if you do a standard 3 pack 8 pod draft. 54 cards max gives you a 40 card main, and about 4 cards for your extra so you get 10 cards to flex.

so 1 rare or mythic / 6-7 uncommon / 9-10 common?

you could also do 1 mythic 1 rare in every pack

i don't think that rarities that are inherit to ygo work with this kind of format

im having a lot of trouble thinking of how to get extra deck monsters to work. i was thinking of just having an "extra monster" slot in each pack. not sure of how that would break with the rarities for each card so i just treated extra deck monsters like any other kind of card

criticize the hell out of this please!

• Upvote 2

+The Antagonist    1667
5 minutes ago, Mascis said:

So yeah ive been think about this for a few days and came up with 300 cards

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hRrdO2dk3OUblD3S5bcf2vDQc412IA87jWYdGqEoxdk/edit?usp=sharing

not saying that this list is the best ever, kinda just threw a bunch of ideas together.

separated cards into rarities based off of MTG rarities.

i think you need 17 or 18 card packs if you do a standard 3 pack 8 pod draft. 54 cards max gives you a 40 card main, and about 4 cards for your extra so you get 10 cards to flex.

so 1 rare or mythic / 6-7 uncommon / 9-10 common?

you could also do 1 mythic 1 rare in every pack

i don't think that rarities that are inherit to ygo work with this kind of format

im having a lot of trouble thinking of how to get extra deck monsters to work. i was thinking of just having an "extra monster" slot in each pack. not sure of how that would break with the rarities for each card so i just treated extra deck monsters like any other kind of card

criticize the hell out of this please!

You could do stuff like have ED mons within the Rare/Mythic pool (think how ptcg does BREAK in the reverse holo slot for example). haven't checked out the list (mobile doesn't like drive fsr) but yeah.

+ACP+    34066

It's good for a first try. Some of these cards seem to situational or required you to draft a million other cards with them to work. I'd also like the draft format to be slightly more powerful than this I think.

Also, in general, it would be nice if you could sort cards by archetype/engine rather than rarity. It makes them easier to analyze that way.

+Mascis    4385
1 minute ago, The Antagonist said:

You could do stuff like have ED mons within the Rare/Mythic pool (think how ptcg does BREAK in the reverse holo slot for example). haven't checked out the list (mobile doesn't like drive fsr) but yeah.

right now they are just spread out  across rarity. since the extra deck is such an integral part of yugioh, i wanted to make sure every player could at least draft something to potentially use. Some cards that are narrow but high impact (Evolzar Laggia) are at Mythic where generic good stuff (Diamond Dire Wolf) are at a lower rarity

this way if i want to draft the dino rabbit deck, if i only get rabbit and not laggia im not super boned because i have an xyz option to go into.

+ACP+    34066

Here's my first attempt: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PxamqrGhN_8W_RMA6ieY09sBi5AyAeL773zgpJ87XGg/edit?usp=sharing

Plan on testing tomorrow to figure out what is underpowered and overpowered.

+ACP+    34066

Might need to do a slight redesign. I think there needs to be more extra deck monsters in the format. Will probably do 2 extra deck monsters per pack instead of just 1 like I was originally thinking.

TKGriffiths    1

Interested. I really enjoy drafting and limited deck building but in practice it's something I can rarely do.

I'll download the app later and give it a go. Available most weekdays after about 18.30 GMT+1 if you want to test.

Mustang    15

Interested.

If Lackey supports this style of play, this is an amazing idea!

TKGriffiths    1

How are you supposed to draft using Lackey? At first glance there doesn't seem to be any interface for it, all it does is generate packs.

+ACP+    34066
1 hour ago, TKGriffiths said:

How are you supposed to draft using Lackey? At first glance there doesn't seem to be any interface for it, all it does is generate packs.

You connect 8 people to a game, load a pack to hand, pick a card, then there is a function to "exchange clockwise" and "exchange counter-clockwise" for passing.

TKGriffiths    1
4 hours ago, ACP said:

You connect 8 people to a game, load a pack to hand, pick a card, then there is a function to "exchange clockwise" and "exchange counter-clockwise" for passing.

I experimented a bit with just 1 other person and the drafting seemed quite smooth. One thing we couldn't work out, once you have your deck in the game is there a way to export it back to the deck builder or would you have to do that manually?

+ACP+    34066
1 minute ago, TKGriffiths said:

I experimented a bit with just 1 other person and the drafting seemed quite smooth. One thing we couldn't work out, once you have your deck in the game is there a way to export it back to the deck builder or would you have to do that manually?

There is a way to export, yes.

TKGriffiths    1
6 minutes ago, ACP said:

There is a way to export, yes.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear, when you said pick a card I assumed you meant to take a card from your hand within the game and drag it to your deck within the game. But how do you get your deck within the game into the deck editor?

+ACP+    34066
3 hours ago, TKGriffiths said:

Sorry I didn't make myself clear, when you said pick a card I assumed you meant to take a card from your hand within the game and drag it to your deck within the game. But how do you get your deck within the game into the deck editor?

The command is /copyzonetocardpool

+ACP+    34066

We tested a 4-man draft tonight. I'd like more people next time.

I think I'm going to cut Spy for Soul Taker. There needs to be some more generic removal.

BWs and LS feel like the most underpowered archetypes right now. I might give them some rarity downgrades to boost their power level. I also might consider LS an engine instead of an archetype, since some people seem to not be fans of JD.

What other big archetypes (with lots of support) are you guys fans of? I've been suggested X-Sabers, but I'm not sure how much people would like Cat into Saber spam like in 2010.

TKGriffiths    1
3 hours ago, ACP said:

What other big archetypes (with lots of support) are you guys fans of? I've been suggested X-Sabers, but I'm not sure how much people would like Cat into Saber spam like in 2010.

I don't think it can be something like pendulums, Infernoid or Mermail because they work with the idea of redundancy for consistency, which falls down when mixed with other archetypes. For example Mermail only works because the entire monster lineup is water. As individual cards in a vacuum they are mostly vanillas, or even total bricks in the case of infernoids.

Jurrac might be fun, with some of the new dino support there's certainly enough cards for it.

+mark    3096

i think shaddolls could be a better archetype than BA for this; could maybe even give them some shitty subterror flip effect support stuff 

ba are too easy to draft since any 2 ba make any rank 3, and Dante is extemely versatile because it Mills better than any LS engine does 

i guess this could be countered by people making Dante their toppick though, but yea if "pick it before your opp does it" is the only way to balance an archetype it's probably OP

• Upvote 1

+ACP+    34066

If BA is too good I can just change Graff and Cir from uncommon to rare. This is why we test.

Brandis72    10

Ah... This sure is odd!

So you guys decided to have ED monsters in the draft itself, and go with modern (Late GX and after) archetypes.

Have you guys had any problems involving serious bricking, or just un-interactive and luck-based games?

It just seems to me that, to have a draft that's actually skillful, you're much better going for a pre-ED cookie cutter cardpool (maybe with morph and a public fusion deck):

Something like a modified goat format cardpool messed around with to be more diverse, and with a slightly greater emphasis on synergy (although still a format where ALL Commons are fully splashable, and with UCs as important engine cards, along with Rares as win-conditions or interactive staples).

Here is a prototype 4-player ''Goat Themed'' Draft where each rarity is drafted separately to create 30 card decks, and players get two spare cards each  (unfortunately only has 28 unique cards; may need to bump up the amount, although doing this might reduce quality):

COMMON (3 copies of each card in draft; 21 obtained per player - 3 ''Packs'' of 7 cards per player)

Blade Knight

Don Zaloog

Exiled Force

D.D. Warrior

Reflect Bounder

Yomi Ship

Abyss Soldier

Magician of Faith

Night Assailant

Dekoichi the Battlechanted Locomotive

Tsukuyomi

Magical Merchant

Bazoo the Soul Eater

Thestalos the Firestorm Monarch

Airknight Parshath

Granmarg the Rock Monarch

Vampire Lord

Lightning Vortex

Nobleman of Crossout

Nobleman of Extermination

Smashing Ground

Book of Moon

Scapegoat

Dust Tornado

Sakuretsu Armor

Magic Cylinder

Widespread Ruin

Raigeki Break

UNCOMMON (2 copies of each card in draft; 9 obtained per player - 1 random single card + 2 ''Packs'' of 4 cards per player)

Tribe-Infecting Virus

D.D. Warrior Lady

Exarion Universe

Sinister Serpent

Giant Rat

Mother Grizzly

Slate Warrior

Twin-Headed Behemoth

Creature Swap

Reinforcement of the Army

Soul Exchange

Metamorphosis

Mystical Space Typhoon

Graceful Charity

Call of the Haunted

Torrential Tribute

Return from the Different Dimension

Ring of Destruction

RARE (1 copy of each card in draft; 2 obtained per player - 1 ''Pack'' of 2 cards per player)

Chaos Emperor Dragon - Envoy of the End

Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning

Cyber Dragon

Breaker the Magical Warrior

Heavy Storm

Snatch Steal

Premature Burial

Mirror Force

PUBLIC ED:

Thousand-Eyes Restrict

Dark Balter the Terrible

Ryu Senshi

Cyber Twin Dragon

Edited by Brandis72
  • Upvote 1

+ACP+    34066

Drafting a bunch of good-stuff cards defeats the entire point of a draft. The games have actually been quite good so far.

TKGriffiths    1

I don't necessarily think BA is overpowered, but bumping Cir and Graff rarities would definitely be the best way for a small nerf. Scarm too arguably, that's the one that works best with discard costs or in a general grind situation (unless there's a Dante available to loop with Cir). It retains value even with non-BAs on field and regardless of your opponent's board. Also the only one that searches the archetype's power card, Tour Guide.