Sign in to follow this  
NB96

Black Panther

NB96    838

Looks to be a pre-Civil War setting to me. I think it looks pretty good although I'm not too sure about their choice of music.

NB96    838
44 minutes ago, Gemstone Mine said:

It's post because they're talking about panther being king.

Oh right. I thought one of the voices was the King of Wakanda who died in Civil War.

Edited by NB96

Faint    5825

Looks awesome. If not for spiderman then panther wouldve mvpd civil war

Very excited for this

NB96    838

I think this is out now (at least in the UK my local cinema has it on screen today). I've heard the film is good (and has a high Rotten Tomato score fr what it's worth) but that it has some SJW/politically correct elements to it (much like Star Wars The Last Jedi).

Has anybody seen it yet?

Mr Dragon    312

It was OK. The music and acting was fantastic (the score is actually more amped than the Kendrick and Co OST stuff), and I think the visuals might have been good too (but I couldn't really tell because I could only get 3D tickets and everything looks shit in 3D). The story on a basic level was alright too, but there were weird minor choices all over the place. 

The politics of Wakanda are uncomfortable as well. It's basically like an Isolationist technology hoarding super rich country that has no democracy and subscribes to superstitious religious stuff and even though the film is partially about the protagonist realizing that he should change this, because it'd be more moral to help the rest of the world, the weird morals the entire fictional country live by make it difficult to really get behind the characters in some ways due to these issues actually being explored in the film. (Like for the vast majority of the film we're watching a fight between 'guy who wants to ignore every country in the world, all of which are full of people whose lives could be saved with his technology' and 'guy that wants to use said uber tech to take over the world') and honestly it's really hard to root for either.

Also there's some weird logical things outside the story. Like Wakandan technology is supposed to be much greater than anything elsewhere on earth - and it is in the context of real life - but much of it has been matched within other Marvel movies. I guess it was handwaved by a line in there sorta, but I think the filmmakers should have really pushed the boat out techwise, much further than they did go.

IDK about 'SJW' stuff... I guess there's humour at the expense of white characters here and there because of their race. I didn't really care about it though. 

I'd probably say this is like a 6/10.

• Downvote 1

+Gemstone Mine    2596

probably the best marvel movie released in a long time, but tbf that's not a high bar.

• Upvote 1

N e J i    902

I think Marvel has reached a level where they just can't make a bad movie. That comes with a price though because they're not taking risks and so the odds of them making something truly memorable are thin.

• Upvote 2

Faint    5825
On 2/25/2018 at 9:20 PM, N e J i said:

I think Marvel has reached a level where they just can't make a bad movie. That comes with a price though because they're not taking risks and so the odds of them making something truly memorable are thin.

my opinion exactly