Sign in to follow this  
Aaron

What shall I watch movies wise

Aaron    2028

Finished watching Scott Pilgrim 3/5 or 6/10.  First 90 mins were boring as fuck, last 30 mins action was decent. 

I really hate these nerdy characters.. I really really struggle to relate to them and I find them irritating as fuck and not endearing at all. I find them very unrealistic [altho i fear they actually are realistic]. I liked the video game concept thing but i've seen it done 1000x better in gintama using JRPG innuendos etc. 

Never actually laughed out loud during the whole film for a film which didnt take itself seriously. 

Aaron    2028

just watched whiplash as per ^^^^

fucking incredible, so intense, so beautiful, great simple plot. really REALLY reminded me of a doctor i worked under. 

5/5

Edited by Aaron

Faint    5855
On 6/22/2017 at 1:35 AM, Aaron said:

btw checked out social network a while ago. i liked it but didnt get the hype for it. like it was good... nothing groundbreaking for me.

im gonna def add mad max!! thats come up too many times now!! 

Agree with this. Social network is good but not groundbreaking.

If you watched all the old star wars films then you should 100% check out rogue one, and episode 7 - both are excellent (even if ep7 was a rehash of ep4 xD)

Aaron    2028

watched inside out 3/5

beautiful tho. 

^^downloading the starways saga now in bluray (freaking 300GB!) 

N e J i    902
On 22/06/2017 at 8:54 PM, Aaron said:

Finished watching Scott Pilgrim 3/5 or 6/10.  First 90 mins were boring as fuck, last 30 mins action was decent. 

I really hate these nerdy characters.. I really really struggle to relate to them and I find them irritating as fuck and not endearing at all. I find them very unrealistic [altho i fear they actually are realistic]. I liked the video game concept thing but i've seen it done 1000x better in gintama using JRPG innuendos etc. 

Never actually laughed out loud during the whole film for a film which didnt take itself seriously. 

Well, I guess the movie isn't for everyone. As an anime fan, I really thought you'd like it. It is about the only movie that's really able to capture the essence of anime into a live action version. Forget the characters (I mean you shouldn't because they're corky and fun but anyway), the movie is beyond well crafted. It's the work of a genius.

Aaron    2028
29 minutes ago, N e J i said:

Well, I guess the movie isn't for everyone. As an anime fan, I really thought you'd like it. It is about the only movie that's really able to capture the essence of anime into a live action version. Forget the characters (I mean you shouldn't because they're corky and fun but anyway), the movie is beyond well crafted. It's the work of a genius.

I think the concept was good but just so much of it missed the sweet spot for me. Lots of jokes which in theory should have been funny didn't tickle my fancy in terms of delivery, e.g. the vegan jokes etc. I find Kill Bill much more closer to the anime equivalent I like tbh. Just felt it was way too nerdy, way too little substance, etc. Lots to love, no doubt about but just didn't catch me. 

Whiplash was ridiculous tho. Sometimes so simple yet so powerful and intense. Really REALLY impressed.  Engaged from start to finish. 

LOTR 1 was excellent but long as hell, had to finish it in 3 sittings (extended edition) 

N e J i    902
29 minutes ago, Aaron said:

I think the concept was good but just so much of it missed the sweet spot for me. Lots of jokes which in theory should have been funny didn't tickle my fancy in terms of delivery, e.g. the vegan jokes etc. I find Kill Bill much more closer to the anime equivalent I like tbh. Just felt it was way too nerdy, way too little substance, etc. Lots to love, no doubt about but just didn't catch me. 

Whiplash was ridiculous tho. Sometimes so simple yet so powerful and intense. Really REALLY impressed.  Engaged from start to finish. 

LOTR 1 was excellent but long as hell, had to finish it in 3 sittings (extended edition) 

Oh it is definitely unashamedly nerdy and that's one of the things I love about it, because anime is also incredibly nerdy.

I'm glad you brought up Kill Bill which just so happens to be another one of my absolute favorites just like Pilgrim. Kill Bill is definitely not a translation of anime into film. It has anime but it's much more of a western+yakuza film than it is an anime one.

N e J i    902
29 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Oh it is definitely unashamedly nerdy and that's one of the things I love about it, because anime is also incredibly nerdy.

I'm glad you brought up Kill Bill which just so happens to be another one of my absolute favorites just like Pilgrim. Kill Bill is definitely not a translation of anime into film. It has anime but it's much more of a western+yakuza film than it is an anime one.

+Sophocles    3077
1 hour ago, Aaron said:

The comics are a lot better both in terms of joke delivery and narrative. (E.g. The random 'nega-Scott' bit at the end is a reference to an actually interesting passage in the comics)

As a coming of age story the comics are rly good

10 hours ago, Winter Multi said:

Agree with this. Social network is good but not groundbreaking.

If you watched all the old star wars films then you should 100% check out rogue one, and episode 7 - both are excellent (even if ep7 was a rehash of ep4 xD)

If you watched all the old star wars films then you should 100% check out rogue one

rogue one

b01.gif

• Upvote 1

+Sophocles    3077

The DVD Extras on the LotR trilogy are amazing, they talk about a lot of the camaraderie that developed between the cast.

But if you're watching the Extended Edition you're probably going to be done with them at the end lol

Faint    5855
8 minutes ago, Sophocles said:

The comics are a lot better both in terms of joke delivery and narrative. (E.g. The random 'nega-Scott' bit at the end is a reference to an actually interesting passage in the comics)

As a coming of age story the comics are rly good

b01.gif

@PSK

»PSK    4447
18 minutes ago, Winter Multi said:

@PSK

Just jealous of my flawless scum hunting techniques. 

on a side note, I spent half a week reading all of nanatsu no taizai because of your stupid profile pic smh 

on topic tho:

On 6/19/2017 at 1:45 PM, rei said:

Drive

The Departed 

The Nice Guys 

Sing Street (if you don't mind musicals. should be on netflix i think) 

HououinKyouma    809

Blue Ruin

Hell or High Water

The VVitch

I think that's a pretty good mix of genres, and are all films that I consider to be a mix of entertaining and just good film.

Blue Ruin is a revenge thriller where the protag isn't some ex-cia/special forces badass and really a regular dude whose life has been ruined by this tragedy and deals with the consequences of the actions of a revenge killing. It put Saulnier on the map and he followed it up with Green Room which is a pretty solid genre film, but doesn't have the emotional resonance of Blue Ruin.

Hell or High Water is beautifully shot, perfectly paced, and has some of the best banter of any films in recent memory. It perfectly balances entertainment with message really. Amazing performances, and honestly this is what took Chris Pines from some box office shlub to actor in my mind. The writer of this also wrote Sicario which I didn't really like, but this film was great and makes me really hyped for his directorial debut.

The VVitch was one of the horror films that had a perfect sense of dread looming over it from the start. Things like the cast, the old english dialogue, and the scenery added to the creepiness of the film. I thought it was fantastic and I don't even really like horror films.

Aaron    2028

Will watch the witch ASAP! HEard too any good things about it now.

Finsihed nice guys 2016. good film 3/5 nothing special for me.. first half was a bit dry 

Faint    5855

@Aaron before anything else, go and watch The Theory of Everything

• Upvote 1

Aaron    2028

^^ will check it out

Beauty and the Beast - 3/5 - a freaking beautiful spectacle.. like visuals 5/5, plot 4/5, execution at times 2/5 think it would have been better with my surround to clear up the music from the horrible vocals

Checked out boy striped pyjamas - average 3/5

Watched city of god - i personally think its overrated as hell 3/5, was like a diluted version of the wire without any political intrigue etc. for me. Never spent enough time with any character to care for them. the protagonist was annoying and bland and i didnt rate his narration. 

The Witch I really want to watch tonight but I think everyones scared to watch it in my house. 

TBH right now i really wanna get back to my 5.1 and watch the rest of LOTR. 

Aaron    2028

two towers was epic using a 5.1 setup. like freaking epic. my subwoofer brought it home. 5 stars . 

think i previously said watched nice guys, 3/5. took took long to warm up for me. few jokes didnt hit home. 

watched an indian film called dangal, also 5/5. just so well rounded, beautiful/perfect family film.

didnt realise how much value is in the movie side of things. I'd say of every 10 hours i invest in films a minimum of 2 will be of obscene quality and possibly more with a huge ammount of variation. 

im now looking at shows like nacros, house of cards and putting them on hold cos i don't think they offer great time:quality value for how piss poor their pacing is. 

anime is still the strong winner tho with 20 minute episodes, sadly there is hardly any good anime out now. 

Edited by Aaron