mark

Pendulum & Magician

+mark    3001

Sorry about no OP for now but we really need a place to discuss this deck (pure, zoodiac variant, or any hybrid really that includes these new cards) 

The continuous Penlumgraph spell and traps are important:
https://yugiohblog.konami.com/articles/?p=8240

as well as Timestar magician:
https://yugiohblog.konami.com/articles/?p=8231

Sample decklist that topped euros:

QE1BBn5.png

if anyone is working on an OP let me know or post in the thread quality control center, I'll replace the OP with it once it's done, if not I'll try to make something myself but can't promise for now

• Upvote 1

»victor    6391

Since this is a generic Pendulum discussion, I'm interesting in seeing if anybody wants to discuss how to play Pendulum decks in a post Link world.

I think too many people have written off Pendulums as unworkable in Link format, but that's just a cursory glance of things, and most people don't look beyond conventional wisdom.

For instance, as for why you'd play Pendulum monsters, competitively speaking, while the OCG guides us to play True Draco, Dinos, etc. , the answer could be because Odd-Eyes Meteorburst Dragon with a LV 7 on Pendulum Scale lets you make Number 42: Galaxy Tomahawk, which lets you Link Spam the field. 

When you consider that Supreme King Dragon Darkwurm gives you a LV 4 to Tune with, and a LV 7 on Scale, that's it right there (see Nobledragon Magician). And the "drawback" of Nobledragon and Harmonizing Magician are irrelevant with Links restrictions.

There are also cards like Amazing Pendulum and Oafdragon Magician that let you retrieve monsters from Extra Deck to hand.

And then if you think about it, Supreme King Gate Infinity let you Pend LV 8!

PerformapalOddEyesDissolver-BLLR-EN-UR-1EOddEyesVortexDragon-PEVO-EN-SR-1E

So that's yet another way to retrieve your "dead" Pends in Extra.

Credits:

Read this http://yugioh.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=8228&writer=Kelly+Locke&articledate=8-1-2017

and

Berdversary    183

The Odd-Eyes Meteorburst into Tomahawk is a pretty good catch, though I'd hold off on it until CIBR arrives and we receive Destrudo the Dread Drake dude. Between Joker and Darkwurm searching a level 7 you have pretty good odds of making 2 card Tomahawks with your sormal summon.

Also worth mentioning that discarding Destrudo/Darkwurm for Ravine and dumping Darkwurm/Destrudo is a Tomahawak without your normal summon. To add to this, you can make a Decode Talker with your normal summon while having at least 2 Pendulum monsters to special summon from your Extra (Destrudo goes to bottom of deck unforch). 

One thing about Tomahawk currently is that Tomahawk in the EMZ limits what you summon if we don't receive the Bladefly retrain. Proxy Dragon still remains in the EMZ and Akachic Magician doesn't use tokens (can't Link Spider using a Token without removing Tomahawk from EMZ) so we gotta use Gaiasaber or Firewall Dragon to point downward. You still have 3 or 2 tokens left over which is still pretty good with a pendulum summon left over (Proxy, Trigate). I might be missing something tho so definitely check me on this.

Bistro    13

For the level 3 tuner needed to summon meteor burst you could use the genex undine combo. Send the water crystron to summon a token for link spider then ss the controller. This also gives you a link that points down to make it easier for your firewall to bounce multiple cards. And to increase the combos with firewall you could play 1 performapal sorcerer as well as a second donkey to give you a gadget esque thing to keep ss monsters from hand while linking. Then you still have the pendulum summon

»Pharaoh Atem    15835

Don't forget that Joker-in-Hand can end up becoming Vortex during your MP2 if 1) you want it to be, 2) your opponent controls a monster Joker may attack, 3) you may Normal Summon Joker and Special Summon Dissolver.
NS Joker
Joker recruit Dissolver
Joker attacks an opponent's monster
Dissolver's effect is activated at the start of the Damage Step SSing Dissolver and making Joker unable to be destroyed by that battle (even if for whatever reason it didn't look like Joker would be destroyed by the battle at the start of the Step - this effect doesn't exist just to cover the asses of mons that already look doomed, it also works even for those that aren't)
you now control Dissolver and Joker
attack with Dissolver if you want
MP2
Activate Dissolver monster effect, using it and any Pendulum Monster as Fusion Material
Vortex

• Upvote 1

+mmf    23221

seeing Earl talk like this about technical play and options as opposed to rulings will really never get old to me

dexer008    800

Going to a World's tourney today with this deck, will let you guys know how I did if interested. Being World format though, Code of the Duelist isn't legal, but I don't think that changes things too much.

»victor    6391
On 8/10/2017 at 7:22 AM, Pharaoh Atem said:

Don't forget that Joker-in-Hand can end up becoming Vortex during your MP2 if 1) you want it to be, 2) your opponent controls a monster Joker may attack, 3) you may Normal Summon Joker and Special Summon Dissolver.
NS Joker
Joker recruit Dissolver
Joker attacks an opponent's monster
Dissolver's effect is activated at the start of the Damage Step SSing Dissolver and making Joker unable to be destroyed by that battle (even if for whatever reason it didn't look like Joker would be destroyed by the battle at the start of the Step - this effect doesn't exist just to cover the asses of mons that already look doomed, it also works even for those that aren't)
you now control Dissolver and Joker
attack with Dissolver if you want
MP2
Activate Dissolver monster effect, using it and any Pendulum Monster as Fusion Material
Vortex

And not only that, you can retrieve Dissolver with Oafdragon Magician!

Oafdragon Magician is the new linchpin of the Pendulum Magician because of its combo with EARTH Dragonpulse Magician

In case you guys don't realize it, Dragonpulse => Link Spider, and Oafdragon brings the LV 4 Normal back to hand for the Spider Special Summon.

And it only snowballs from there, because this deck (compared to other Pendulum themes) has Star Pendulumgraph to search even more Pendulum monsters to hand (even when you use up Dragonpulse for Link Spider), so you get around the Extra Deck Pendulum Summoning limitations.

Stuff like popping with Sky Iris to search Dissolver, and a Magician, using Nobledragon  and Wisdom-Eye as a ROTA, you need to search Pends to hand advantageously, and utilize the Extra Deck as fodder even more, with Vortex, is how Pendulums will stand out in Link format.

White Wing Magician making Omega and Enlightenment Paladin to recycle Star Pendulumgraph is something to look into.

»Pharaoh Atem    15835
On 8/10/2017 at 6:08 PM, mmf said:

seeing Earl talk like this about technical play and options as opposed to rulings will really never get old to me

that post was systematic and thorough because of the ruling background
this capability regarding options and play was always within me

Brand    245

So, wavering Eyes at 3 helps this deck so much. It means we no longer have to find a way to pop iris turn 1, so we dont need to play bricky cards like Sky Iris, cards that lock you out from a scale like the 1 of luster, or the zoo engine. The fact that it adds another pendulum to hand is insane. I feel like with the nerfs and this deck being practically at full power that this deck is definately a contender, especially for the UDS and before SPYRAL is released. 

»Barron    8046
8 hours ago, Brand said:

So, wavering Eyes at 3 helps this deck so much. It means we no longer have to find a way to pop iris turn 1, so we dont need to play bricky cards like Sky Iris, cards that lock you out from a scale like the 1 of luster, or the zoo engine. The fact that it adds another pendulum to hand is insane. I feel like with the nerfs and this deck being practically at full power that this deck is definately a contender, especially for the UDS and before SPYRAL is released. 

Wavering idk, I mean in the mirror sure but Pend Call is still a thing. The deck doesn't even need wavering in the main deck as you have enough searchers & you can use that space for something else.

dexer008    800

The main thing to take away from this list is that drident is banned, which means our scales can potentially live longer, meaning going second no longer sucks as hard unless we had the access to pendulum call, which ash's existence makes using it a gamble. I like luster and wavering being semi and free'd, cause as much as I love pend sorc, takes up a lot of room, what with usually running lizrdraw and guiturtle + maybe odd-eyes resolver. This deck also still is the number one deck with most anti-masterpeace options, and its budget as fuck. Wavering at 3 is probably mandatory cause there will be mirrors for that fact alone.

• Upvote 1

dexer008    800

The main thing to take away from this list is that drident is banned, which means our scales can potentially live longer, meaning going second no longer sucks as hard unless we had the access to pendulum call, which ash's existence makes using it a gamble. I like luster and wavering being semi and free'd, cause as much as I love pend sorc, takes up a lot of room, what with usually running lizrdraw and guiturtle + maybe odd-eyes resolver. This deck also still is the number one deck with most anti-masterpeace options, and its budget as fuck. Wavering at 3 is probably mandatory cause there will be mirrors for that fact alone.

Jujuuu.    37

Playing a few games with the deck made me quickly realize that the trap card is drident 2.0 that practically decides games if not dealt with immediately. I've been flirting with the fact to main a playset of cosmic cyclone and/or two ghost ogres for going second vs the mirror. 

dexer008    800

I'm surprised this topic is quiet, given it's recent success. I know lists are probably stale. But theres probably a lot of little differences in builds that can be discussed. For example I think white wing is probably fine at 1, as her and harmonizing can give you double omega if you have wisdom eye and scalez and 1 more lv4. 

Also, really excited for legendary decks 3, being a country in which persona wasn't legal is now able to play the good card. The new odd-eyes normal monster as well has a really decent effect, and makes odd eyes dissolver much better. You could probably make some old school odd eyes lv7 rank deck for funsies, running oafdragon as well to gather back resources and maybe access utopia beyond. Its also cool to mention that absolute can be used for link summons and then bring out a monster for free.

And As victor has mentioned before as well, a deck full of lv7s has access to number 42,  a link summoning powerhouse.

Finally, with this new guy, dragonpit and dark magician, you have access to normal monster support with vgiliance, summoners art and all the other cool stuff they get. 

Blacklisted    1332
10 hours ago, dexer008 said:

I'm surprised this topic is quiet, given it's recent success.

I don't think it's just this topic that's quiet

• Upvote 1

»victor    6391

I'm kind of surprised people aren't giving Dinomists another look as well, because it's the Pendulum deck that can make both Mistar Boy and Missus Radiant (courtesy of Deskbot 003 and 001, can play 005 as well), while being able to play both Moray of Greed, and Igknight Reload, which are Effects that 1 for 1 vs ABJS, unlike Desires. And Dinomist Howling is Scales from Deck, so it gets around it as well.

We also have Math at 2 to dump Deskbot 001, and Zephyros to bounce Dinomist Charge.

The deck gets better as ABC will be big with Destrudo and Dragon Ravine at 3, and the deck can Geargigant X for AOJ Cycle Reader to banish LIGHTs.

That deck is able to Abyss Dweller with WATER material, Ragnazero (+ Plesios, also Mistar Boy and Missus Radiant), and even Synchros like Metaphys Horus (can steal their Link), Trishula, etc.

300?cb=20170411220600300?cb=20170411220217300?cb=20170411220411

I'm not sure if people have caught onto this, but this is a better Unexpected Dai, as it also gives you a search, and a Token, all the while giving you an EARTH LV 4 Machine, and destroys your Scales for you. And it searches any Deskbot, among other things.

I know people think Ancient Gears, Deskbots, and Dinomists, are casual, that's probably why people have been sleeping on Catapult + Wyvern...

There's also:

300?cb=20170823085744300?cb=20170823085858

Which gets you a Double Summon (for Rescue Hamster/Ferret, perhaps?) and LV 5 Machine for Cyber Dragon Infinity, so that's another strong engine.