Sign in to follow this  
ACP

The State of DuelistGroundz 2017

»ACP    33417

It’s been about a year since I’ve taken over the site, so I figured I’d let everyone know how we’ve been doing since then and what my plans are for the future. To start, activity is up significantly. In June 2016, DGZ had 2787 posts. In June 2017, DGZ had 6186 posts. Our Alexa rating had been steadily increasing, although it has started to plateau in recent months. I hope to do some marketting on Facebook and DuelingBook to improve our numbers even more.

We successfully launched our own Yugioh platform (LackeyDGZ), which is something that I thought that I wasn’t even capable of. It’s definitely given me confidence to launch more ambitious projects in the future. If you haven’t tried the software yet, please do so. I’ll even personally show you how to use it.

Remember that we are still selling DGZ shirts and DGZ loyalist; buying either would do a lot to support the site. Remember that free stuff isn’t a one-way street. If you want TGA to increase funding for warring, online tournaments, etc., you need to support their products as well. Remember that they are the reason that our server costs are getting paid for every month. In the future, if you need to buy or sell cards, I hope that you will consider The Game Academy.

I want to give special thank-yous to @Satchmo for doing a great of running the Discord server and helping me with Lackey, @Zappdos for running mafia quite well, @Gemstone Mine for helping me with Lackey, and @mark for helping keep the Yugioh forums afloat (don’t give up!).

To staff, in case I had not made it clear, realize that you are selected on a basis on what you directly contribute to the site. If you want to be promoted, take on new tasks. It can revitalizing a less-used forum, doing marketing to bring in new members, or starting some completely new project. I think that a lot of our members and staff put too much faith in me. I cannot run the entire site by myself. If you know that there is something that needs to be done for the site that I have not done yet, offer to do it. If you don’t know what you can help with, ask me. I promise I’ll never run out of things for you to do. I’m still taking staff applications. Remember, “I’ve been here for awhile, think being mod would be cool, and I promise I won’t blow anything up” is not sufficient to be considered for the position.

In regards to warring, it’s been a lot of work, and I’m probably going to change the system in the future. I’m probably going to emphasize the individual ladder more and make teams a bit of a looser affiliation. My plan is to learn Python and program a Discord bot that will handle all of the match results and rankings for me, which should make everything much smoother.

Assuming that you don’t want to spend money and don’t want to be added to staff, you might wonder what you can do to help the site. Realize that any forums website is only as good as its posters. So post often. Share your ideas with the community and get feedback. It seems a lot of us play Yugioh but only a few of us want to discuss Yugioh. Realize that “I don’t discuss Yugioh because no one else discusses Yugioh” is circular logic. Make the first move. Be like @victor Make posts like this. Realize that I barely even play this game anymore, so I can’t generate all of the discussion myself. Even better than that though would be to bring all of your friends to the site. I’d be eternally grateful, and frankly I am much more likely to consider you for a staff position if you’re someone who has a reputation for bringing new people to the site.

Lastly, I’d address some behavior that I feel has been rather toxic to the site. This is been bothering me for awhile, and I feel like now is the best time to bring it up. This is people who keep saying, “DGZ is dead.” Now, firstly, if we’re going to get technical, clearly it is not already dead. You could however ignore all of the data that suggests otherwise and claim that, “DGZ is dying.” Now I’m going to naturally assume that anyone who is posting on DGZ currently wants to DGZ to do well. The issue is that I’ve talked to numerous people who either stopped posting on DGZ or did not come back to DGZ because they were under the impression that DGZ was a dying site. This is obviously problematic. Going around telling people that DGZ is dying, at a point, becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. So even if you wholeheartedly believe that DGZ is dying, you’re only making it die faster by running around and telling everyone that it is dying. I get that we’re all cynical, but realize that how you talk about the site has a profound impact on its future success.

• Upvote 16

SpiceyYanni1    333

Can I snag a shirt to rep in Chicago? 

»ACP    33417
22 minutes ago, SpiceyYanni1 said:

Can I snag a shirt to rep in Chicago? 

Yes, are you having any difficulty placing an order?

• Upvote 1

+Gemstone Mine    2596

considering the games I host, the fact that it wasn't an absolute dumpster fire means it vastly exceeded expectations.

• Upvote 2

»Digbick    7257

It pisses me off when niggas said dgz is dead. I see tons of activity. The discord server is full of activity. 

MMF has been doing some tutorials for melee. I was thinking of starting a beginner tutorial series for non-smash fighting game. That might male other realize dgz isn't just a yugioh forum, its a long time community

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Digbick said:

It pisses me off when niggas said dgz is dead. I see tons of activity. The discord server is full of activity. 

MMF has been doing some tutorials for melee. I was thinking of starting a beginner tutorial series for non-smash fighting game. That might male other realize dgz isn't just a yugioh forum, its a long time community

This. The other forums on this site are pretty great and ppl should make more of an effort to participate in them. 

+Silver    1008

yea as long as we have subgroups growing together like mafia, smash, tv/movies, and other stuff we are fum

Jvizzle87    56

Idk what would be involved in getting this done or how hard/complicated it would be but an idea is: 

I noticed that DuelingBook doesn't have it's own forum like DN used to. If you can somehow find a way to make DGZ the forum that is on the home screen on DuelingBook (essentially making DGZ the official forum of DuelingBook) then I would think that would bring a lot of traffic to the site. It can be a mutually beneficial endeavor since it would give DGZ more traffic and DB doesn't have to create their own forum from scratch and maintain it(while legitimizing it further since they currently have some blog that hasn't been written in for 6+ months.)  

Now some problems:

- Having such an influx to the site can lead to post quality decline since they're not used to the rules of the site and the overall community. So some kind of educational process would have to be put in place I would think. 

- Idk how legal DuelingBook is atm and what the whole Konami/C&D situation is so it can pose a problem if TGA is affiliated or involved in some way with DuelingBook. 

But it's an idea to throw out there the rewards could be very beneficial if it can be done and implemented correctly. 

Also a Youtube presence I think would be beneficial. Have an active DGZ Youtube channel that focuses on more technical topics or just non-noob ideas  so that when they are advertised to go on DGZ, they are pre-qualified in terms of general player quality etc. Building a strong Youtube presense could also potentially generate more income for the site in terms of Youtube payments etc. (Idk the specifics on how that works.) But tapping into the Yugituber player pool can make a difference in site traffic if you could successfully get them to sign up. It can be a group effort in the sense that it can have member duel replays or warring replays so that the "Yugituber" audience can see higher quality play maybe with commentary sometimes and just DGZ member contributing videos as a collective. One day it can be a duel recording, another day it could be a DGZ member posting a strategy video, or another day could be a combo video. Ex: A video representation of Allen's Zoodiac post in the OP with an announcement at the end like "If you liked these combos you can go on the DGZ Forum and discuss more Zoodiac strategy through this link" since a significant percentage of people like to see things play out then read them. 

Edited by Jvizzle87
  • Upvote 1

»Logic    2033

Thanks allen.

The credit belongs @PSK @JC. @Gemstone Mine @The Antagonist and @Malcolm. They all play huge roles in addressing rules and players disputes, and often take ownership of getting projects off the ground. 

The last major adjustment were clarifying rulesets to try to create a more inviting atmosphere (while still feeling like dgz) and after a couple small setbacks, haven't had any disciplinary issues to discuss for a few weeks now. 

While the playerbase isn't quite where we want it at the moment, I think i speak for everyone involved when I say people are generally enjoying playing right now than they were 2-6 months ago, and I think that allows for a stronger platform to grow our playerbase moving forward.

• Upvote 5

SpiceyYanni1    333

Allen, wasn't aware we could order here lol. Just got back into game after like 2 yrs always wanted to rep a playground shirt tho :)

»ACP    33417
40 minutes ago, SpiceyYanni1 said:

Allen, wasn't aware we could order here lol. Just got back into game after like 2 yrs always wanted to rep a playground shirt tho :)

If you click the shirt thread here it has a link to where you can order. It's through The Game Academy's website. They accept paypal and all major credit cards for payment.

38 minutes ago, SpiceyYanni1 said:

Also, what's discord?

Discord is a chat app commonly used by gaming communities. You can get an invite link to DGZ's discord channel by clicking here: https://discord.gg/jQJRqn2