Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dank Memeston

Psychedelics

26 posts in this topic

I've been using acid for a little bit (10 times) which was what lead to a few embarrassing threads/posts on the forum. Who else has done any?

Drugs are bad m'kay

This explains so much

1 hour ago, Dank Memeston said:

I've been using acid for a little bit (10 times) which was what lead to a few embarrassing threads/posts on the forum. Who else has done any?

Get help.

I am aware of my issues and am seeking a therapist. Thanks for the sentiment.

I am aware of my issues and am seeking a therapist. Thanks for the sentiment.

I'm curious about mushrooms and peyote

I haven't, but a friend of mine has, said he didnt like it and prefers stuff like XTC 

i prefer zen buddhism which does the same thing as psychedelics but it's better

i've experienced ego death

Ego death is a "complete loss of subjective self-identity."[1] The term is used in various intertwined contexts, with related meanings. In Jungian psychology the synonymous term psychic death is used, which refers to a fundamental transformation of the psyche.[2] In the death and rebirth mythology, ego death is a phase of self-surrender and transition,[3][4][5][6] as described by Joseph Campbell in his research on the mythology of the Hero's Journey.[3] It is a recurrent theme in world mythology and is also used as a metaphor in some strands of contemporary western thinking.[6]

In (descriptions of) psychedelic experiences, the term is used synonymously with ego-loss,[7][8][1][9] to refer to (temporary) loss of one's sense of self due to the use of psychedelics.[10][11][1] The term was used as such by Timothy Leary et al.[1] to describe the death of the ego [12] in the first phase of an LSD-trip, in which a "complete transcendence" of the self[note 1] and the "game"[note 2] occurs.[13] The concept is also used in contemporary spirituality and in the modern understanding of eastern religions to describe a permanent loss of "attachment to a separate sense of self"[web 1] and self-centeredness.[14] This conception has influential part in Eckhart Tolle's teaching, where Ego is presented as an accumulation of thoughts and emotions, and only by de-identifying one’s consciousness from it can one truly be free from suffering (in the Buddhist meaning).[15]

Jungian psychology[edit]

Ventegodt and Merrick:

... a fundamental transformation of the psyche. Such a shift in personality has been labeled an "ego death" in Buddhism or a psychic death by Jung.

Jungian psychology[edit]

According to Ventegodt and Merrick, the Jungian term "psychic death" is a synonym for "ego death":

In order to radically improve global quality of life, it seems necessary to have a fundamental transformation of the psyche. Such a shift in personality has been labeled an "ego death" in Buddhism or a psychic death by Jung, because it implies a shift back to the existential position of the natural self, i.e., living the true purpose of life. The problem of healing and improving the global quality of life seems strongly connected to the unpleasantness of the ego-death experience.[17]

Ventegodt and Merrick refer to Jung's publications The Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious, first published 1933, and Psychology and Alchemy, first published in 1944.[17][note 5]

In Jungian psychology, a unification of archetypal opposites has to be reached, during a process of conscious suffering, in which consciousness "dies" and resurrects. Jung called this process "the transcendent function",[note 6] which leads to a "more inclusive and synthetic consciousness."[30]

Jung used analogies with alchemy to describe the individuation process, and the transference-processes which occur during therapy.[31]

According to Leeming et al., from a religious point of view psychic death is related to St. John of the Cross' Ascent of Mt. Carmel and Dark Night of the Soul.[32]

Spirituality[edit]

Following the interest in psychedelics and spirituality, the term "ego death" has been used to describe the eastern notion of "enlightenment" (bodhi) or moksha.

Buddhism[edit]

Zen practice is said to lead to ego-death.[55] Ego-death is also called "great death", in contrast to the physical "small death."[56] According to Jin Y. Park, the ego death that Buddhism encourages makes an end to the "usually-unconsciousness-and-automated quest" to understand the sense-of-self as a thing, instead of as a process.[57] According to Park, meditation is learning how to die by learning to "forget" the sense of self:[57]

Enlightenment occurs when the usually automatized reflexivity of consciousness ceases, which is experienced as a letting-go and falling into the void and being wiped out of existence [...] [W]hen consciousness stops trying to catch its own tail, I become nothing, and discover that I am everything.[58]

According to Welwood, "egolessness" is a common experience. Egolessness appears "in the gaps and spaces between thoughts, which usually go unnoticed".[59] Existential anxiety arises when one realizes that the feeling of "I" is nothing more than a perception. According to Welwood, only egoless awareness allows us to face and accept death in all forms.[59]

David Loy also mentions the fear of death,[60] and the need to undergo ego-death to realize our true nature.[61][62] According to Loy, our fear of egolessness may even be stronger than our fear of death.[60]

"Egolessness" is not the same as anatta, non-self. Anatta means not to take the constituents of the person as a permanent entity:

the Buddha, almost ad nauseam, spoke against wrong identification with the Five Aggregates, or the same, wrong identification with the psychophysical believing it is our self. These aggregates of form, feeling, thought, inclination, and sensory consciousness, he went on to say, were illusory; they belonged to Mara the Evil One; they were impermanent and painful. And for these reasons, the aggregates cannot be our self. [web 3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ego_death

2 hours ago, mark said:

I haven't, but a friend of mine has, said he didnt like it and prefers stuff like XTC 

8 hours ago, rei said:

I'm curious about mushrooms and peyote

Assuming people are going to do it anyway and I can't stop them, might as well offer information to aid in making that safer for people.

Look up stuff on erowid. most (if not all, iirc) hallucinogens are serotonin analogs and will be fed through that system. do not mix with SSRIs, SNRIs or MAOIs, as serotonin syndrome is not fun and you could die. If you have a predisposition towards certain mental illnesses, like schizophrenia for example, the altered state could trigger its first occurrence (symptoms manifest in young adulthood, people experiment with drugs around this time, one thing can hasten the other). Hallucinogens can be useful against treatment resistant depression and complex PTSD, but are probably most useful in that capacity in non-consciousness altering microdoses (they alter consciousness but not trippily).

I recommend [not doing drugs] using standard blotter doses and synthetics, like LSD, or mescaline (the active ingredient in peyote, which can also be obtained by brewing a certain cactus as tea). A single square of blotter paper can only hold roughly 200ng of water (the vehicle for LSD, and yes it is THAT potent) and the only chemicals on Earth that are dangerous at that dosage are shit like VX gas--even if its 200ng of lead you'd be fine. Know the LD50s of the stuff you use, don't use stuff that is easily tainted: yellow mold is a common source of illness amongst mushroom users due to poor sterilization protocol and quality control by growers. Psilocybin, the active ingredient in mushrooms, can also be produced synthetically and used in more controlled doses. Better living through chemistry.

I recommend being in both a good place psychologically and also physically (a chill room with a few friends and some acid rock, or a walk in the forest [bring water, you will forget to drink]). Repeat to yourself, if your trip goes bad, that things will go back to normal in a few hours and that you will be okay; remember, for the average joe this effect is temporary. Do know your family mental illness history.

Do not do deleriants like Datura (for the love of god), or high doses of phenylephrine (or whatever is in Benadryl these days, think it's that. operates in roundabout way through histamine system). Do not use dextromorphan, as the doses needed to have effect are fairly harsh on your liver. Do not do salvia or DMT as your first experiences because their effect is brief, but extremely extremely intense. It's okay to start small.

Due to how quickly your body adapts to the serotonin boost, you need at least 72 hours between trips, otherwise you're wasting your time and money. Don't make it a habit to use altered states, they can be useful for breakthroughs. Tripping isn't something you do just because it's [usually] fun. You're knocking out your perceptual filter by glitching your serotonin receptors, thus your schemas, and the rearranging you do on the way back will have a lasting effect.

Zen Bhuddism is not viable for everyone, as chemical stimulation differs from Kool Aid consumption, but is certainly safer (if done right, though meditation can fuck you up too). Research and supervision are useful for that as well.

I've seen a few hallucinogen users lose their shit and take a year to recover. Heavy, frequent use was involved though. 

I'm happy for you. :) At this point I mainly do it for fun rather then that feeling but I know at one point I was inclined towards it a bit. To me the feeling of growing up/going through life (multiple times) was more important than ego loss or whatever but outside that I do appreciate it academically and wish I was strong enough to let it all go.

5 minutes ago, Dank Memeston said:

I'm happy for you. :) At this point I mainly do it for fun rather then that feeling but I know at one point I was inclined towards it a bit. To me the feeling of growing up/going through life (multiple times) was more important than ego loss or whatever but outside that I do appreciate it academically and wish I was strong enough to let it all go.

The drugs you can get legally from doctors are generally better than street drugs anyway. Took like 8 or 9 attempts at psych drugs (and two cases of serotonin syndrome) to get my shit right--most experiences were bad--but depression is so much worse that you're usually willing to risk melting your brain to fix it.

I'm already a zen buddhist! ;p

That said the reason I haven't travelled down the psychadelics route has been seratonin issues - i'm on an SNRI right now don't want to chance it 

i started zen buddhism back in 2012. i did so much meditation that it did fuck me up but i have more control now so i've been good since 2013. it took me 5 years to master zen buddhism.

Posted (edited)

I've heard some studies indicating psychs can help with depression but obviously there is no consensus yet. Good warning post; I would never recommend people do it with anyone but those they trust and also in some place they are comfortable in/used to. The big issue dealing with this is when you relearn what betrayal and lies are in your trip which can lead to you sort of doubting everything -> can lead to a bad trip, etc. but do note this is not something you necessarily relearn/remember every time you take a trip nor is it necessarily something you focus on (especially if you are capable of just waving away thoughts). (just one example i can think of, of course there are probably and inumerable # of reasons why to be with ppl you like, like youll probably have more fun lol)

In my case I don't get my drugs off the streets so I don't have to worry about varying dosage or being given a different drug like NBOMe (which can kill you) but be careful. (if you got it from a friend and they are into this stuff they may have ways to discern if it is lsd or not)

Also, I recommend 2 weeks between trips. I haven't done anything quicker then that but that is what everyone says. The reason for this is because after your trip is over for a while your serotonin levels will be decreased but of course they come back up after a few days or weeks. The longer you wait after a trip the better your next trip, as you also forget about it over time.

In my case, most of my threads/posts were at the fever end of my trip (8 hours is the prime time, technically still on till 12, after that is is hard to sleep/you think a lot). The day after taking you will feel compelled to fix/work on the parts you were "enlightened" about during your trip and as such will feel much motivation for about a week or so, and then it will slowly drain back to normal over a few months. Sometimes I would get into a semi-depressed state after a trip and other times I would be super happy or concerned. Either way this provided an opportunity for me to discover more about myself and about the world but it was also an opportunity I could never guarantee would be there forever. Living your life based on something that you can't guarantee is not healthy and I wish I had realized or been more honest to myself earlier. I can keep going on with this (and it involves a lot of other issues outside the trips) but that is something for a therapist. That said, I do not regret my decision to take... I honestly can't imagine where I would be now without it but I am trying to say that my progress did not come without its costs.

Anyone who is interested in taking needs to understand this is not just "seeing pretty colors" and "becoming a bit psychotic" for 8 hours.

Edit: I've never taken mushrooms but I heard they semi often create anxiety as a side effect during the trip. Definitely a lot less powerful than LSD though, and shorter. (6ish hours)

Edited by Dank Memeston

if you really want to feel good instead of taking psychedelics you should get into taoism and thelema in addition to zen buddhism

even dudeism, a made-up religion inspired by the dude character from the big lebowski works and it might be easier for you

you are always welcome to becoming a roman catholic too

rosicrucianism is good too

damn this is what happens when i drink too much soda

by the way if you haven't watched rick and morty you should. it's good for everything including depression.

if you have watched rick and morty then these videos explain everything:

Posted (edited)

Woah! Slow down buddy! Were you talking to me or Human Tetherball?

Regardless, major depression is an illness that can only be treated with medication and even then the science is still not sure where to shoot with these drugs so sometimes it does not work for some people and (often?) it does not work very well. "It is a state of mind where someone cannot appreciate sunsets."

I'm sure if you release all worldly attachments maybe you could cope with the illness better but it will still be there, just maybe some triggers won't have as much of an effect.

Depression that I don't have aside, I'm content with myself moment to moment but not with who and where I will be in the future so although this stuff might be a good support group/whatever I don't really need that, I just need to do things instead of nothing. (and I have been doing things a little bit lately, mainly organization)

Lots of cool videos though.

Edited by Dank Memeston

Drugs are not allowed. This forum is sponsored  by D.A.R.E