NB96

Avengers: Infinity War

+mmf    23472

Btw

On 5/4/2018 at 5:56 AM, NB96 said:
  Hide contents

I felt they could have showcased the power of the infinity stones a little more though. Thanos shouldn't have gotten beaten while having four of them against Iron Man, Dr Strange, Spider-Man, Starlord, Mantis etc. He only won because Starlord decided to be stupid and hit him while he was under Mantis' control.

Bad take imo

Infinity stones were exactly everything they needed to be

Thanos's powers follow a rather linear and logical progression as he obtains each stone and it's far beyond "he's stronger, he gets hit more, and he hurts you more"

He gets the space stone. Now he can teleport. His ability to become teleport shortly becomes relevant

He gets the reality stone. Now he can do Itachi style tsukuyomi illusions or whatever. And so on

The only exception appears to be the soul stone, which kind of just dips thanos arbitrarily in and out of soulworld without explanation to the viewer. which is probably because they're waiting till part 2 to explain whatever soul world mechanic theyre using

And the culmination is clearly when he returns to the Wakanda battlefield with the time stone and promptly uses it to foil the Vision contingency plan

"Oops guess that only worked if he didnt get the time stone"

I guess we don't really know what the mind stone enabled outside of killing everyone yet but he probably just has Vision powers now too

• Upvote 1

+Gemstone Mine    2590
6 hours ago, mmf said:
  Hide contents

I guess we don't really know what the mind stone enabled outside of killing everyone yet but he probably just has Vision powers now too

The impression I got is that the mind stone worked exactly like Loki used it in Avengers (the mind control on touch thing), but the point was less about what the mind stone actually did and more about the fact that it completed the set. It seems like the stones only put out x percent of their real power (ie not enough for the snap) until you have all of them, at which point they 'unlock'.

Firing energy blasts seems to be an intrisic properly of all stones, we see it used with 3 of them at least over the course of the MCU iirc. And vision's other abilities are likely just from Ultron figuring out different ways to use the energy coming from the stone. Seems like everything vision could do was a side effect of just having an infinity stone in his face, not specifically mind stone. I would be doubtful that we would see thanos phasing and shit, I think that was a vision power, not a mind stone power.