Francis J Underwood

The Official 2017 DG Fantasy Football Thread

Gospel    365

Coming down to the wire for the final two spots of playoffs. I don't think Bell will do enough tonight to get Scumwood in, leaving Blue Bloods and Bill Beeelichick in as our 5th and 6th seed. I think that this was a pretty successful and interesting season where 10 of the 12 teams were still in playoff contention in the last remaining weeks. 

Joe.    4932

I was waiting till the end not to jinx myself - but any chance the additional players added $ for most points? The only prize breakdown on here was with 10 players. Figured I'd ask. My other leagues all have it.

Jazz    5067
17 hours ago, Gospel said:

Coming down to the wire for the final two spots of playoffs. I don't think Bell will do enough tonight to get Scumwood in, leaving Blue Bloods and Bill Beeelichick in as our 5th and 6th seed. I think that this was a pretty successful and interesting season where 10 of the 12 teams were still in playoff contention in the last remaining weeks. 

That's not scumwood it's me.

Most frustrating league I've ever participated in. 4 of my first 7 draft picks suffered multi week injuries (5 if I count Terrelle Pryor but I don't, since he busted without injury). I don't know why I bothered to put any effort in after like week 6, when I lost a close match to you because manny sanders left the game with an injury and didn't score enough points on SNF against the Giants. Beyond frustrating.

I've also been smashed by Kicker/Defense this year like no other. I get outscored at those positions by like 20 every week. It's insane.

Kuddos to you and Joe for having excellent drafts / early week pick ups. It was hard to compete.

Edited by Jazz

Joe.    4932
7 minutes ago, Jazz said:

Kuddos to you and Joe for having excellent drafts / early week pick ups. It was hard to compete.

I might have been able to make the playoffs with two teams. The Hill, Landry, Thielen WR combo really worked out for Slick and propelled him to the playoffs. I really mismanaged those assets in retrospect. Cooks, DT and Hilton are all fine but - TY and adding those 3 would have been really incredible. Esp. with Kamara and McCoy. Oh well.

I traded Thielen in both of my leagues once Case took over - assuming I was dealing at his high point. Drafting him round 7+ is one thing - but dealing him away is another.

Edited by Joe.

Jazz    5067
27 minutes ago, Joe. said:

I might have been able to make the playoffs with two teams. The Hill, Landry, Thielen WR combo really worked out for Slick and propelled him to the playoffs. I really mismanaged those assets in retrospect. Cooks, DT and Hilton are all fine but - TY and adding those 3 would have been really incredible. Esp. with Kamara and McCoy. Oh well.

I traded Thielen in both of my leagues once Case took over - assuming I was dealing at his high point. Drafting him round 7+ is one thing - but dealing him away is another.

Yeah your team was insane. Absurdly good drafting. WRs with guaranteed volume are so valuable in this set up. You always want to start 4 WRs if you can, and getting multiple guys with guaranteed volume. Whether it's injury or bye weeks, it really helps to have 5 startable WRs in this set up. Not to mention, FAAB can be used to acquire RBs much more easily than WRs. Drafting WRs throughout early and mid rounds of the draft was the way to go. QB was irrelevant. TE only matters if you get an Ertz/Kelce/Gronk at decent value. RB only matters if you get a 3-down back like Bell, DJ, Shady, Gurley etc. Any gamescript dependent back had a high chance to bust. I drafted and rostered too many backup / fringe roster RBs when I should have instead been acquiring WRs until I got at least 5 guys with guaranteed roles + volume. If I couldn't get them in the draft, I should have been hording guys like Funchess and Agholor early in the season as speculative adds. 

This league is going to be won by the Landry's, Crowder's, Woods's, Thielen's, etc. of the world who paid dividends while others were hording low upside backup RBs and QBs.

Joe.    4932
On 9/2/2017 at 11:21 PM, Joe. said:

I just finished off a PPR draft. Pleased with this one. (QB RB RB WR WR TE F D K)

QB - A. Rodgers

RB - L. Bell, E. Elliot, T. Coleman, J. Stewart, S. Vereen

WR - J. Landry, K. Allen, C. Hogan, J. Ross, A Thielen, K, Wright

TE - T. Eifert

D - KC

K - Lutz

WR is obviously weak but there could be nice upside with Hogan, Thielen and Wright. Zeke and Bell could be quite the duo though.

11-2 and first in points in this league too. After a few deals I ended the year with...

QB - Newton, Rodgers (IR)

RB - Bell, Zeke, McKinnon, Collins, Morris

WR - Landry, Evans, R. Anderson, R. Woods, S. Watkins

TE - D. Walker

K - Lutz

D - Streaming

BuildTheWalia    197

This was a super fun league to play in. Hats off to everyone fighting to the bitter end. I have to say, FAAB was a welcome change this season, and I'm going to request it in my standard leagues for next year as well. Really brought some punch to the waiver wire.

Now time to take my place as the people's champ.

Jazz    5067

That face when you outscore the entire league in the first week of playoffs but you didn't make the playoffs so it doesn't matter

:(

Screen Shot 2017-12-10 at 10.56.19 PM.png

• Sad 1

Jazz    5067
2 hours ago, BuildTheWalia said:

Wentz.....

Scrambling is dangerous man. I think he needs to adjust his game. Has a bright career ahead of him but that's dangerous living.

BuildTheWalia    197
37 minutes ago, Jazz said:

That face when you outscore the entire league in the first week of playoffs but you didn't make the playoffs so it doesn't matter

:(

You really should be in there with that team. This season was wack.

• Thanks 1

Gospel    365

That playoff game was super close. I don't know why the pats went away from Burkhead in the 2h, especially since what he was doing was working. I assumed he fumbled somewhere to get put in the Beeeeeelichick dog house but it doesn't look to be the case. 

Was it posted somewhere what the prize breakdown is?

BuildTheWalia    197
On 8/25/2017 at 2:03 PM, Francis J Underwood said:

10 players = 200 dollar pot

payout would probably be iirc

So since there are 12 would it be

170/60/30?

Joe.    4932
1 hour ago, Francis J Underwood said:

Ill ppl decide 

I cast a vote for $20 (or entry fee in general) for first in points. I am obviously biased in this - but I think that is a good standard for the future too. 

1 hour ago, Joe. said:

I cast a vote for $20 (or entry fee in general) for first in points. I am obviously biased in this - but I think that is a good standard for the future too. 

yeah no im not doing that in general. Essentially a lottery prize more than a reward of skill. 

as for the prize distribution we have an extra 40 with 12 ppl so ill let ppl how its distributed but i was thinking 20 more to second 20 more to third 

BuildTheWalia    197
33 minutes ago, Francis J Underwood said:

yeah no im not doing that in general. Essentially a lottery prize more than a reward of skill. 

as for the prize distribution we have an extra 40 with 12 ppl so ill let ppl how its distributed but i was thinking 20 more to second 20 more to third 

Not a bad idea.

Joe.    4932
10 hours ago, Francis J Underwood said:

Wait. Drafting the most consistent team for the entire season is a measurement of luck and not skill? As opposed to two arbitrary matchups at the end of the year? Have you really not played in a league that awards first in overall points a prize?

3 hours ago, Joe. said:

Wait. Drafting the most consistent team for the entire season is a measurement of luck and not skill? As opposed to two arbitrary matchups at the end of the year? Have you really not played in a league that awards first in overall points a prize?

Because it comes down to getting guys loke hopkins or fuller who have insane games due to variance week after week that notmally isnt sustainable. Thats not a drafted skill, thats just plain luck.

half the player that contribute to that are extreme variance outliers like hopkins, fuller, kamara etc . . . I include hopkins for his games woth watson which no one predicted when they drafted him. I know he has high volume in general but the games wit watson were ariance outliers and contribute to the overall scoring methodology as do injuries which are also luck

I have played in those leagues and ive played i. Leagues that reward first overall in pts every week. Thats why i know its more about variance than skill

Edited by Francis J Underwood

Jazz    5067

That's not really how variance works. You can have both a high average and a high variance in terms of spiked weeks. Most points scored is probably the best overall measurement of how good a team is. A 13 game H2H record against randomly chosen opponents has much, more more luck behind it than the total points scored over the course of a season.

Jazz    5067

Hopkins is a top 5 receiver in the league, by the way, and the true outlier he had was last year. Sure, this is a career year, but he was drafted way too low considering how much worse his situation with Osweiler was last year. He simply produces when paired with a competent QB:

Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 2.58.27 PM.png

Jazz    5067
5 minutes ago, Jazz said:

That's not really how variance works. You can have both a high average and a high variance in terms of spiked weeks. Most points scored is probably the best overall measurement of how good a team is. A 13 game H2H record against randomly chosen opponents has much, more more luck behind it than the total points scored over the course of a season.

For example, I think I had the 3rd or 4th best team in the league this year, but due to scheduling variance and bad timing with injuries happening during the later bye weeks, I lost 4/5 games down the stretch and finished 7th. I scored the 4th most points, and when I can field a healthy team, my roster is capable of putting up 180 burgers. Sure, I could have drafted and managed my team better, but the main reason I missed the playoffs is scheduling variance.

Joe.    4932
8 hours ago, Francis J Underwood said:

Because it comes down to getting guys loke hopkins or fuller who have insane games due to variance week after week that notmally isnt sustainable. Thats not a drafted skill, thats just plain luck.

half the player that contribute to that are extreme variance outliers like hopkins, fuller, kamara etc . . . I include hopkins for his games woth watson which no one predicted when they drafted him. I know he has high volume in general but the games wit watson were ariance outliers and contribute to the overall scoring methodology as do injuries which are also luck

I have played in those leagues and ive played i. Leagues that reward first overall in pts every week. Thats why i know its more about variance than skill

This truly makes no sense. That stuff gets equated over a larger sample size. Fuller scoring 25 in week 15 is variance.

A few years back (2014) I had the another unreal squad. TY Hilton, Mike Evans, Jordy Nelson, Antonio Brown, Alfred Morris, LeSean McCoy, Matt Forte, Walker and Big Ben.

5 1000 yard WRs (2 with 98+ receptions in PPR, Brown/Nelson with 13 TDs)

3 1000 yard RBs

Forte with 100 receptions.

The team was stacked. Went 6-7. Crushed first in points for the season and got my entry fee of $50 back. I didn't even make the playoffs due to variance. I'd score 140 every week but play vs the team that scored 155.

Edited by Joe.

20 hours ago, Jazz said:

Disagree. avg pts per week is better measure. Overall pts is more of a reflection of how many spike week players yoi drafted or found on waivers.