Sign in to follow this  
Aaron

Time & Films/Games/TV

Aaron    2002

Hey, as I've gotten older I've started to think differently about films, games TV shows and the concept of time and wondering if others now follow the same trail of thought?

I come back from work, sometimes a 9-10 hour day, sometimes 12 hour shifts, I need to still cook, clean, hit the gym for 2 hours... It only leaves 2-3 hours MAX of recreational time on working days. 

When I was 16, a 70 episode series was great. Something like One Piece I'd be prepared to watch 40 episodes or so before it got REALLY good, I'd give Tv shows a solid 4-6 hours of time investment, I'd play video game epics like dragon age origins and pump in 100 hours, football manager for 200 hours etc. However as I've gotten older, I've started to see media differently. I feel some respect your time and give you solid value for what you put in... and others take the piss.

Films in general are just great. 2 hours for a complete story and awesome visuals/sound.. you are just chancing the plot + char dev as theres only so much you can do in 2 hours. 

Anime's are usually 20 minute at most and therefore I'm quite happy to watch them as they're easy to digest. However a show like OP I think I wouldn't be able to pick up now. It honestly takes the piss in the filler and ammount of time it wastes of mine. 

TV shows are really hit and miss. For instance, I used to LOVE Sherlock. However when I got in my mind each episode is the length of a fucking film, I felt its value was not really there. Similarly House of Cards, I used to kind of like the slow as fuck pacing but with 20 episodes a season... 20 hours is A LOT of time. Its like borderline video game territory. Then you have excellent shows like House (tells a story in 50 minutes + an overarching plot) or the Wire (genuine juiced up quality) or GOT (which gives you pacingx10 and captivation levels x100). 

Video games I find REALLY hard to invest time into now. My favorite game is probably Dark Souls but I haven't touched DS2/DS3. I want to buy a new graphics card but I have a HUGE ass backlog I'll maybe never even touch 10% of. I played Uncharted 3 a couple of months ago and I honestly felt it wasn't worth the 10-20 hours or whatever it too to complete. I find some video games REALLY  bad value for time but make up for it in engagement and sometimes insane levels of personal story telling and quality. 

What're your guys thoughts for the more time-strapped people trying to enjoy media recreationally but have a life too? I'm almost at a point where I'm now choosing, will i be a video game person or a tv show/film person given the HUGE ammount of quality being pumped out in both forms of media. 

• Upvote 4

Sophocles    2948

Yes, absolutely. Though for me I think it's a combination of time shortage and as I've gotten older I'm really looking for novel experiences and my taste has changed a lot. I literally can't sit through most superhero blockbusters anymore because they're narratively extremely similar in set-up, mood, and visuals. I just start thinking about everything else I could be doing/watching/reading and I lost interest.

TV series I only watch:

- Shows I find really exceptional like House of Cards S1/2 (The series ended at series 2 for me, no regrets) or Game of Thrones, that really needs the TV format to achieve it's narrative complexity (but they could've cut half their episodes I'm sure)

- Lists that condense a show to the essentials and great stuff, like this list that condenses Star Trek: TNG to 40 hours, I still cut a bit from that iirc.

In terms of video games I can really recommend stuff like Thomas Was Alone or Bastion, indie games that take about 5-10 hours to get through, are priced accordingly but are still really good. Those two examples are a couple years old now, it's gotten a lot harder to find games like that as Steam is full of shit now.

Even in terms of reading I've cut out a lot of fantasy I used to like because it's sort of the equivalent of grinding in an RPG: it's a fun way to waste time when you've got a lot of it but I've got sooo much reading to do still with so little time.

• Upvote 1

Sophocles    2948

If someone's wondering why I still play mafia if I have so little time: that's my masochistic fetish I'm indulging.

• Upvote 1

+rei+    34494

I just want to be alone to do my dark bidding on the internet

• Upvote 2

Aaron    2002
On 03/08/2017 at 6:24 PM, rei said:

I just want to be alone to do my dark bidding on the internet

I've literally taken a month or two off work to do this. 

I can at this very moment in time be getting paid £50-65 an hour but I'm just so go damn exhausted from real life and training. I've realised if I don't take a bit of time out now to enjoy myself, I never will. 

Watching Band of Brothers ATM btw. Excellent beautiful show. 

Edited by Aaron

Faint    5707

Yeah, gone are the days where i spend entire weekends just playing fifa or kingdom hearts.

I try to only start stuff i know will be good / i have a genuine interest in. Like i just started The Newsroom by hbo and thoigh each episode is an hour, i still make an effort to find time do watch at least 1 a week (aaron id highly recommend it btw it is a phenomenal show...watch the first 10 mins and youll be hooked). 

What ive found is that i usually dont bother going to watch new shows. Like i know i SHOULD watch Rick and Morty, Arrested Development, Better Call Saul etc but just dont have time nowadays

I still think a good tv show is the best value for time you can get providing it gives both short term and long term satisfaction (eg. GOT, House of cards, the newsroom) but they are increasingly difficult to find

Faint    5707

House of cards up to s2*

Bazoo    5692

I think just about every male our age comes to this realization. I personally have attempted to cut internet time but after a long 12 hr day sometimes it's easier to veg out to gaming lists on youtube. I've also meant to read more.

Speaking of reading more, sometimes I wonder how much time I could devote to learning a new skill or language if I cut social media and other media down, but then I watch another top 10 classic twin stick arcade shooters ranking video.

Faint    5707
48 minutes ago, Bazoo said:

I think just about every male our age comes to this realization. I personally have attempted to cut internet time but after a long 12 hr day sometimes it's easier to veg out to gaming lists on youtube. I've also meant to read more.

Speaking of reading more, sometimes I wonder how much time I could devote to learning a new skill or language if I cut social media and other media down, but then I watch another top 10 classic twin stick arcade shooters ranking video.

the problem with that last point is that it requires your brain to be active

everyone needs downtime

Aaron    2002
1 hour ago, Bazoo said:

YES i fucking hate how easy it is to just sit on fucking youtube watching BS when i could be experiencing things myself. I watch bodybuilding/fitness youtubers but I've restricted it now to a) time before gym to get pumped up or b) trademil / cardio time. 

reading is dead for me.

if i read i should be reading shit for work to further my career.  even politics wise and news i dont keep up to date with that much at all. i think that times probably better off spent doing some form of charity work once a month. 

sounds sad, i know but i really don't give a fuck anymore about reading up on history, politics or fiction. the time:benefit ratio is dead in reading and the only advantage it used to have is how portable it was (and better). however i'd easily take the trade off now of a 2 hour film versus a 12 hour read (if its a good adaptation. 

Aaron    2002
4 hours ago, Winter Multi said:

Yeah, gone are the days where i spend entire weekends just playing fifa or kingdom hearts.

I try to only start stuff i know will be good / i have a genuine interest in. Like i just started The Newsroom by hbo and thoigh each episode is an hour, i still make an effort to find time do watch at least 1 a week (aaron id highly recommend it btw it is a phenomenal show...watch the first 10 mins and youll be hooked). 

What ive found is that i usually dont bother going to watch new shows. Like i know i SHOULD watch Rick and Morty, Arrested Development, Better Call Saul etc but just dont have time nowadays

I still think a good tv show is the best value for time you can get providing it gives both short term and long term satisfaction (eg. GOT, House of cards, the newsroom) but they are increasingly difficult to find

I will check this show out!!! 

I 'm just about to finish Band of Brothers and its up their with the wire but only 10 episodes. Fucking phenomenal. 

I'd steer clear of Better Call Saul, just think its so fucking god damn slow. High quality like breaking bad but without the exciting plot lines or more likeable characters.  I think with the sheer quality of shows Netflix pumps out, there are more exciting alternatives.

I'm glad Anime has kind of slowed down. If there was a show like Monster introduced, I'd be fucked lol. 

my biggest regret is video games. i have a gaming pc (where i could buy  a 1080ti if i wanted), a ps4, ps3 hacked, wii u hacked, 3ds, psp, vita, ds, could buy a switch easily if i wanted... but i have no god damn time to play any of these huge ass games or at least i think in my mind for the 20 hours i play a subpar game, i could have watched 10 films or a whole TV show.

Uncharted 3 for example.. was just an interactive fucking movie. Completely trash compared to a real film.

But then you have something like Dark souls, Bloodborne, Mario, where tight gameplay makes me feel very satisifed... or TLOU where the story is so delicately told I'm happy with it... or Fire Emblem where I honestly love the gameplay so much that I don't mind pumping 60-100 hours into it (so addictive I end up MAKING time for it).

Edited by Aaron