Sign in to follow this  
NB96

Barclays Premier League 2017/18

NB96    806

Manchester City look like they could do the business this season. They hit Watford for six earlier today. I didn't watch the Liverpool game but they drew 1-1 so I assume their defence let them down as per usual.

http://www.football365.com/news/klopp-no-better-defenders-out-there-than-the-ones-i-have

His teams play great attacking football but Klopp clearly hasn't got a scooby-doo when it comes to organising a defense. I looked at the Liverpool subreddit and they were saying somebody didn't mark the far post (might have been near post I forget which). It's clearly not just the players that are the problem anymore. Not that I'm complaining though.

Edited by NB96

NB96    806

Another 4-0 win. Was a close game until the last 10 minutes where they just fell apart. We didn't play great but we looked more solid once Herrera was subbed on. We drew 1-1 with Everton twice last season in the league so it's nice to get a win over them. Koeman talked shit about us a lot last season for no reason but he clearly has a big job on his hands. Very little pace on his side, and he signed a bunch of players who don't seem to have addressed Everton's biggest problems. Rooney was surely not meant to be the Lukaku replacement, they needed to go a spend that Lukaku money on a quality striker. I'd say Giroud would have been a good signing for them but he doesn't address that pace issue either.

NB96    806

A professional 1-0 win vs Southampton. We played poorly in the second half but our defence stayed resilient and showed their mettle.

+Urthor    10239

I mean the Southampton game is worrisome for United just because City haven't exactly shown any sign of letting up on quality and United's quality was pretty down at various points in the last few games.  Squad looks competitive and Lukaku looks like a god cleanly finishing heaps of stuff, but it's been an easy start so far.  Nobody would say the current squad is more than a grab bag whose strength is the ridiculous depth it has across the 25 players more than the best XI.  

NB96    806

Another dominant 4-0 win. Mourinho is turning us into a real force. Liverpool after the international breal will be tough though.

+Urthor    10239

He's overworked Lukaku though, 3 games in 6 days, he's going to pay for that when Lukaku missed 3 weeks in February because he ruthlessly burnt him early like this.  

Can't really rely on Ibrahimovic coming back so why overwork him in these games vs the lower table. 

NB96    806

City also won what will probably have been their toughest game of the season on paper: Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. They will likely win the title, I don't think we can win it unless we add a new player in January, besides Ibrahimović who wont even be first choice anyway behind Lukaku.

+Urthor    10239

The difference between City winning the title and City bottling it is an ACL injury to KDB so never call it this early.  

Also Chelsea were gassed after their midweek so hard to read into it.  

It's certainly a 3 horse race.

NB96    806

Everton lose again, this time to Burnley. This can't go on any longer, they had a tough start but they lost to Apollon Limassol too. Koeman could be the next managerial casualty this season.

On the bright side, r/Everton is a goldmine:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Everton/

Edited by NB96
  • Haha 1

NB96    806

Manchester United vs Liverpool at 12:30, Liverpool are in a bad run of form and without Mane too. We should hit them on the break since their defense is vulnerable. Our strength is on the counter which happens to be their weakness, teams that sit back or a problem for this Liverpool side.

Edited by NB96

NB96    806

Really poor performance from us, but a draw at Anfield is acceptable. I just wish we could have got at Liverpool's defense a little more.

Mkhitaryan shouldn't be a starter. He's just not good enough, he will never take the game by the scruff of the neck. The assists he has gotten this season have managed to mask his awful performances but I'm not fooled. Why oh why didn't we get Mane instead.

+Urthor    10239

I mean you expect better from United's roster.  Honestly you have to be worried the league just turns into a processional for City at this point, if United can't compete with City nobody is going to

Also that game fucking boring and a complete showing of why people bash soccer in favour of other sports. 

NB96    806
7 hours ago, Urthor said:

I mean you expect better from United's roster.  Honestly you have to be worried the league just turns into a processional for City at this point, if United can't compete with City nobody is going to

Also that game fucking boring and a complete showing of why people bash soccer in favour of other sports. 

Was a typical Mourinho away vs top six performance though. He'll do this vs City, Chelsea and Spurs, and if we get draws at the Etihad, Stamford Bridge and w/e Tottenham's new stadium is called those are all good results. For me the question is how we will play at home.

Did anybody catch ArsenalFanTV after they lost 2-1 to Watford?

+Urthor    10239

LOL I DIDN'T SEE THAT RESULT HOLY SHIT THE SALT WILL BE REAL

NB96    806

Leicester have sacked Craig Shakespeare. Guess they have their sights set firmly on Carlo Ancelotti LMFAO

NB96    806

Shocking by Lindelof. He might well be the worst defender in the league when it comes to winning the ball in the air. Counting preseason, he's cost us nearly a goal a game at this point. What frustrates me the most is that he is taking up game time that should have been occupied by Axel Tuanzebe, who is a better defender already while still being several years his junior. If you give Lindelof all the time in the world he can pick out a decent pass, but otherwise he offers nothing. We didn't even need a centre back that badly, even with Rojo's injury. Tuanzebe was impressive at the end of last season when Mourinho had given up of getting top 4.

I read on Squaka that Mata and Mkhitaryan have created 107 chances between them last season, whereas Ozil has created 117 chances last season by himself. Mata and Mkhitaryan are problems because they don't get involved enough in the game. Mkhitaryan's form has gone to shit after a blistering start (not really blistering his performances weren't great but they were masked by a couple assists in a few matches), and Mata goes missing more often than not. All he really does is circulate the ball (fat lot of good that was against Huddersfield) and score from cut backs once in a while. We need a wide player and a #10 who will take the game by the scruff of the neck, who wont shrink when the going gets tough. These two are first XI regulars and they are both a serious problem for us. Although I must say I was glad Mkhitaryan didn't start, he is in awful form and needs some time on the bench.

Manchester City score so many goals because they have Kevin De Bruyne and David Silva, two fantastic playmakers. We have Pogba who is important to us because he is the only true creative outlet we have, but I think our team needs a second playmaker-type to help break down these teams. We shouldn't be fooled by those 4-0 victories because we knew it wouldn't last.

+Urthor    10239

Mata is a centre attacking mid played wherever for United because he is still quality even when played out of position, I don't think you can blame the player too much when he has been played out of position for years at United and he is doing his best.  Mkhitaryan was Bundesliga player of the year or some shit, so he was a great buy for Jose but he hasn't performed that much at the club because he doesn't have a system around him instead he's a bit player on the wing, I don't think they were substantially below par in this game.  They played at their normal level which is actually not as good as Kevin De Bruyne's level shock horror.   

But yes now the club has food for thought, next season they might not necessarily want to buy Ozil AND Griezmann and might instead want to look to the middle of the park.  

Anyway now it seems like the writing is on the wall, United's average level is pretty well established after this start to the season and they aren't going to massively improve, it looks like another year of teams fighting for second place behind Manchester City's depth

NB96    806
9 hours ago, Urthor said:

Mata is a centre attacking mid played wherever for United because he is still quality even when played out of position, I don't think you can blame the player too much when he has been played out of position for years at United and he is doing his best.  Mkhitaryan was Bundesliga player of the year or some shit, so he was a great buy for Jose but he hasn't performed that much at the club because he doesn't have a system around him instead he's a bit player on the wing, I don't think they were substantially below par in this game.  They played at their normal level which is actually not as good as Kevin De Bruyne's level shock horror.   

But yes now the club has food for thought, next season they might not necessarily want to buy Ozil AND Griezmann and might instead want to look to the middle of the park.  

Anyway now it seems like the writing is on the wall, United's average level is pretty well established after this start to the season and they aren't going to massively improve, it looks like another year of teams fighting for second place behind Manchester City's depth

I felt Mata was definitely below his normal level, which isn't amazing to begin with. Mata did nothing other than lose the ball carelessly in our half which led to their first goal.

Edited by NB96

NB96    806

We didn't play great yesterday but our defense held resolute and a mistake from Dier let Martial in to win us the game 1-0. The 3-5-2 could be the future of our team, I wonder if that's what Mourinho was planing on with Perisić as the left wing-back.