rei

Server patching / maybe IPB patching, etc TONIGHT

+rei+    35320

Server's going down for a while tonight probably around 5:30 PM EDT - and why not give a verbose explanation of why?

as you may have noticed, DG went down for a little while last night while we took a full system snapshot (which took WAY longer than it should have); behind the scenes a bunch of packages were also updated. 

you may have also noticed that i'm taking off for a year and really shouldn't even be posting - but I figure I may as well get the site up to a state I'm happy with before I leave. Tonight we will be updating the operating system of the VM that runs duelistgroundz - it's currently running a 2014 Long Term Support Linux release, selected for its five year official support/patch cycle, which has generally been fine since upgrading from a 2012 LTS. That said, as discord and other software features become more prominent, it's important for us to have newer versions of some things to take advantage of this (looking at you "versions of python greater than 3.4"), and we're going to push to a 2016 LTS release (...no there is no 2017 LTS). Practical offshoot of this will be to let Allen and other devs do a lot more cool shit with scripting and scheduling.

That said this upgrade rather than try and update the database binaries just deletes and reinstalls them - this is a colossal pain in the ass as you'd imagine, every part of DG is stored in the database so I'm gonna have to do a lot of work to reconnect everything after - it's not really "hard" as this is my literal day job but it can be time consuming and involve a little bit of luck in terms of isolating small bugs/errors. Because of this its hard to estimate how long we'll be down - I need to take another snapshot (the alternative being losing a day of posts if i break the server) which takes 30+ min, and it's not yet clear how long the update will take.

Also I MAY do a board software patch - it wont break anything but will patch some bugs/security issues. Really depends on if I have time. 

• Upvote 7

+rei+    35320

maintenence will be beginning in just under ten minutes

+rei+    35320

As of 9 pm OS and board are both updated

Silver    919
4 hours ago, rei said:

maintenence will be beginning in just under ten minutes

3 minutes ago, rei said:

As of 9 pm OS and board are both updated

can we get tldr of updates

+Satchmo+    3183

ok so the default skin and the EAVERIN V2 skin both seem to lack the ability to rep posts but that doesn't matter since the former we tried to remove as default iirc

• Upvote 1

+ACP+    33845

The update is still running some processes in the background; it's technically not complete yet. If shit is still broken tomorrow I'll see if we can fix it.

• Thanks 1

+rei+    35320

also this update did a lot of wierd shit to the rep system behind the scenes and bugged out a lot, might take some legwork to get rep properly rolling

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Jazz    4587
8 minutes ago, rei said:

also this update did a lot of wierd shit to the rep system behind the scenes and bugged out a lot, might take some legwork to get rep properly rolling

In the mean time I'm going to abuse it for the lols

• Like 1

Jazz    4587

If we could somehow get some new skins out of this deal my life would be complete

little bug    1936
3 minutes ago, Jazz said:

If we could somehow get some new skins out of this deal my life would be complete

+

+ACP+    33845

Our default skin has been changed to a skin that actually has rep. We may get some new skins. I'm kinda sick and tired of our old ones.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

little bug    1936

don't get any of the ones that are see thru. those fucking suck. just get like animate or deflection or something. shift has colors. idk. just not fucking brave. dnf used brave and i hate all of those guys. especially the old admins.

+ACP+    33845

I can even create custom reactions/emojis if I want to. Someday I'm going to be really bored and create some weird memetastic ones.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

little bug    1936
2 hours ago, ACP said:

I can even create custom reactions/emojis if I want to. Someday I'm going to be really bored and create some weird memetastic ones.

f4E7AgzWT32W_-EfVFAyMA.png

please

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

Jazz    4587

I've won 35, and I'm sure at least 34 of them were from JC. repping all my posts in our old mafia games.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3