• Mermail
    • Lightsworn
    • Geargia
    • Madolche
    • Sylvan
    • Zombie FTK
    • Other (and post reason why)

+Silver    1008

2014 Ban List - This format will only include the format up until the end of North American Nationals Format 

In this format, we are left with the remnants of mermail-firefist format but toward the end of the format, the diversity of decks will include H.A.T, Mermail, Bujin, Sylvan, Dragon Rulers, Geargia, Infernity, Lightsworn, and Zombie FTK, . Although the format was very diluted at first with such limits and Mermail Abyssgunde and Coach Soldier Wolfbark, the format was given advancments in both creativity of diversity when the set Dragons of Legend was set to be released with defining cards such as Kuribandit, Fire and Ice Hand, Mathematician, Wiretap and the most iconic and one thetranscendant cards in the history of YGO, Soul Charge. Post Dragons of Legend, The first event was ARG Richmond (decklists here), where top the top 16 included Fire Fist, Bujin, Mermail, Geargia, Ghostrick and at last, Patrick Hoban's Dragon Rulers had won over A Loli's Dragon Rulers. Match's G1 and G2-G5

However, the meta had continued to evolve past these decks as we get a new set, Primal Origin, with such key cards being released for future meta defining decks that include Traptrix, Madolche, Sylvan and Artifact cards. However, the following event, YCS Philadelphia (Decklist's Here), the expected decks of Madolche, Dragon Ruler and Infernity would top, however would have unexpected decks making it into top 32 such as Inzektors, the newly discovered H.A.T, and even Evilswarm. A giant clusterfuck of decks and such a diverse wide array of strategies (with the top 3 decks not even playing Soul Charge). The format had only began to evolve. 

By the end of the format, the diversity decks at this point had began to define the format, with every deck having good and bad match-ups, and with nationals 2014 rolling around, no deck had really stuck out as the best deck. Decks like Mermail with Sehabi Kerradine and Bujins with Jeff Jones had some success in ARG's, Lightsworns being a popular deck in europe (Best Video on Youtube), but no clear deck had defined the format. So it was all up the in air as to what deck was really the best deck. 

Nationals 2014 was one of the diverse tournaments in the history of YGO. In stark contrast to the year before where Dragon Rulers, Spellbooks and ONE Madolche deck covered the entire 2013 Top 64, up to TEN DECKS had topped 64th the event (decklist here), however not all decklists here but I did what I could find). Decks most well known during this tournament consisted of Infernity, Sylvan, Dragon Ruler (Top 16 Duel), Lightsworn Ruler, Spellbook, Geargia (If you guys have Brandon's decklist, that would be great too), Bujin, The G.O.A.T Deck (AKA Reckless Frog OTK (video profile), Jeff Jones Koa'ki Meiru (Round 10 Duel), Fire Fist Artifact Traptrix (Semi-Final Duel), and eventual winner H.A.T (Deon and McDuffie Decklist) (Final Duel Here). 

In all, the format had a little of everything for every duelist and play style, from control, aggro, and stun. In my opinion, decks were still in their infancy as far as solving the format, with the format being a smaller, decks still had room to evolve and strategies to combat cards were still being discovered. 

Shoutout to 

Konami Yu-Gi-Oh! Trading Card Game http://www.yugioh-card.com/

TCGplayer.com

Youtube.com

TheCardGuyz

Alter Reality Games

Yu-Gi-Oh! Wikia

TeamShockWaves

MegaCapitalG

TheDuelRock

Vexacus4666

Timothy Bailey

TheAronsChannel

lfcpotter

• Upvote 2

+Paraliel+    8030

Oh this is the Nationals I played Fishki, solid deck by the way. It has a rough time with Lightsworn nuts though.

• Upvote 1

NB96    838

This was a great format in my opinion, I felt Soul Charge was my only real problem with it. But you had powerful combo decks like Water, Sylvan and Dragon Rulers while traps were not yet obsolete so decks like HAT, Geargia, Bujins etc were also competitive. I like to think Madolche is a little bit of both. Which meant you never knew what you would face and you had a variety of different matchup types unlike nowadays where its just combo vs combo and nothing else.

Down to play this format!

Edited by NB96

mark    3105

Patrick Hoban's Sylvan deck at Nats never forget

• Upvote 1

+Silver    1008
2 minutes ago, mark said:

Patrick Hoban's Sylvan deck at Nats never forget

ye im still finishing the op. posting the decks i could find and he could be in it ;)

mark    3105

It's also interesting to see how many people from DGZ topped NAWCQ 2014, when looking through the tournament report section a bit. That's insane 

NB96    838

I still think of this as the last real trap heavy format.

+Silver    1008

alright finished most of it. might add to it if i think of more ideas.

turceal    29

i can confirm format was OP i got my first top at that NAWCQ losing to 1 misplay in rounds and 1 infernity player. when i made top 64 i lost to teammate of that same infernity player playing same deck card for card :( . I played pure gears with no vanities intentionally (was probably a huge mistake in hindsight).

• Upvote 1

BuildTheWalia    247
1 hour ago, Silver said:

heh great smash'd

The apex of MLG yugioh. This video shall be passed down through the generations.

NB96    838
Just now, BuildTheWalia said:

The apex of MLG yugioh. This video shall be passed down through the generations.

I always found the one where Barrett Harms (an Evilswarm player) sets four then didn't know he could use Solemn Warning when Denko Sekka was summoned was funnier. Some of these MLG videos are pretty funny

• Upvote 3

BuildTheWalia    247
9 minutes ago, NB96 said:

I always found the one where Barrett Harms (an Evilswarm player) sets four then didn't know he could use Solemn Warning when Denko Sekka was summoned was funnier. Some of these MLG videos are pretty funny

>The plan is summon Ophion set 4 pass

>Sets 4

>O fuk forgot Ophion

+Gemstone Mine    2596

i had quit by the time this format rolled around, but looks ok, other than some of those list look like no fun (ie ls and infernity).

+Silver    1008

infernity had some bad match-ups obv which made it hard for it to be the best deck and also had easy side deck choices ie maxx c, spiritualism, among others and veiler that easily could be sided against it.

Jazz    5322

People refer to this as HAT format, correct?

Also what's the cutoff for the format, July 2014? I have all the lists from 2002 to 2017 in http://formatlibrary.weebly.com/ if you wanna copy+paste the text into your OP

Nate1080    1224

I belive the cut off to be when Shaddolls/BA came out in Duelist Allience.

+Silver    1008
3 minutes ago, Nate1080 said:

I belive the cut off to be when Shaddolls/BA came out in Duelist Allience.

Cut off is July 13th. New card draw rule came into effect after. So p much up until the end of nats format. 

+Silver    1008
29 minutes ago, Jazz said:

People refer to this as HAT format, correct?

Also what's the cutoff for the format, July 2014? I have all the lists from 2002 to 2017 in http://formatlibrary.weebly.com/ if you wanna copy+paste the text into your OP

Sick. I'll look through it and post them. I might even do DB pictures. I like the format that you had goat format decks on the other website 

Nate1080    1224
5 minutes ago, Silver said:

Cut off is July 13th. New card draw rule came into effect after. So p much up until the end of nats format. 

Forgot that actually happened then. I thought that happened at the beginning of the format, guess I was mistaken.

Jazz    5322
10 minutes ago, Silver said:

Sick. I'll look through it and post them. I might even do DB pictures. I like the format that you had goat format decks on the other website 

Oh I don't have the deck lists, I meant ban lists, my bad

I'd love to get all the deck lists but that's so much fucking work. I know they are in the konami blog somewhere but that website is shit for searching into the past archives iirc

Grimey    8113

i have literally 0 idea what happened in that jeff jones clip can someone explain 

Soul    7942

he makes the standard bujin xyz and attacks over everything w honest in hand