»victor    6400

So in case, you guys are unaware, there is now once again what is essentially a win condition in the form of hand destruction, in the rich tradition of Hieratic Gishki Gustkraken, XX-Saber Gottoms, Windup Hunter, Royal Tribute, list goes on.

The key cards are:

300?cb=20170731000632300?cb=20160319001157

In case you guys don't get it, if the opponent adds a card(s) from their Deck to their hand outside of the Draw Phase, you play these 2 cards and your opponent is Handless.

The Trap is pretty easy to search out.

300?cb=20170731002221300?cb=20170731001039

300?cb=20170807074100300?cb=20170429113618

And so is Droll & Lock Bird:

300?cb=20170707110758300?cb=20130913161118

This is where things get really interesting because you can pop Star Hall to search out Droll & Lock Bird.

So you have an engine of Spellbooks where you can easily play any other Spellbook to have enough counters for Droll & Lock Bird.

And as for how to pop Star Hall, it's a Continuous Spell, which fits nicely themewise with True Dracos and Dragonic Diagram.

Keep in mind that The Grand Spellbook Tower is a Field Spell, as is Secret Village of the Spellcasters for Set Rotation.

You can even go the Metalfoes route with Painful Decision, etc.

And if really want to stay in theme, you can play High Priestess of Prophecy and pop your own Star Hall.

There's a whole lot of Spellcaster engines, many of whom can benefit from the Master + Power combo of ages past to beat over Master Peace for instance, Fate, etc. are all still pretty good...

Oh, and then there's:

300?cb=20170615001209300?cb=20161007085126

There's a lot of good LV 1 Spellcasters to build around, see: https://www.db.yugioh-card.com/yugiohdb/card_search.action?request_locale=en

What if the opponent decides not to play any searching cards, well, you can:

300?cb=20170411222024300?cb=20170731000409300?cb=20170718195603

This is reminiscent of the Dark Law deck back in the day, since them drawing is offset by the banish.

And here's another Continuous Spell:

300?cb=20170330172059

Who cares if they draw?

---------------

Last but not least, just wanted to point out a deck that doesn't use the Normal Summon, and has it open and available for Candina, that deck being Darklords, who also benefit from the S/T removal of Light Stage and gain from Lights being played alongside DARKs -> Chaos, all the while having the drawpower to dig for combo cards.

Thoughts?

• Upvote 7

I don't think you need any cards to force your opponent to draw. Merely revealing the card forces your opponent to respect it, which means they can't search (or play desires, etc) unless they can out it, which should cripple their deck enough for you to set up and win. Dark Bribe, etc, are pretty niche outside of this specific combo.

+Tr!stan    60

You can just play around it by setting your hand and then searching/drawing etc, although you can't really play around 2 Reincarnations or Disturbance Strategy+Reincarnation etc.

If only there was a Level 1 Trickstar, Where Arf Thou would be so much better, I hadn't though of using it with Gofu though, Eater of Millions is another Level 1 that OCG have been using, albeit not for Where Arf Thou, but it gives us more viable reasons to play it.

»victor    6400
2 hours ago, The Antagonist said:

I don't think you need any cards to force your opponent to draw. Merely revealing the card forces your opponent to respect it, which means they can't search (or play desires, etc) unless they can out it, which should cripple their deck enough for you to set up and win. Dark Bribe, etc, are pretty niche outside of this specific combo.

You're right, but do note that Recall, in comparison to Grand Horn of Heaven, falls in the Solemn Strike "okay going second" category of cards where you can activate after your opponent has a field. It also counters their Ash which prevents you from searching (possibly pieces for this combo).

Recall is definitely going to come up soon when you'll need to pay half your LP for Destrudo, and is a boon for Dark Law decks playing AHL, or Aromages, who wanted to play Solemns but couldn't. Maybe even decks with Venus + Shine Balls, Cosmic Cyclone, Instant Fusion, etc.

2 hours ago, Tr!stan said:

You can just play around it by setting your hand and then searching/drawing etc, although you can't really play around 2 Reincarnations or Disturbance Strategy+Reincarnation etc.

If only there was a Level 1 Trickstar, Where Arf Thou would be so much better, I hadn't though of using it with Gofu though, Eater of Millions is another Level 1 that OCG have been using, albeit not for Where Arf Thou, but it gives us more viable reasons to play it.

I think you're overthinking things with Where Arf Thou? because there are decks like Blue Eyes, which innately play a lot of LV 1's, Spellcasters even.

For a deck that plays Twin Twisters, and Dragon Spirit of White, you're not going to be Setting cards, Light Stage is even more S/T removal.

I mean once you Summon Candina (LIGHT for Honest) to get Reincarnation, you can dump it for Sage or Master, and put them on a clock with BEWD.

You can play Mausoleum of White to get Extra Summons, and open up Hi-Speedroid Chanbara with the LV 4, which is another OTK threat. 

You need a way to win after the combo and Blue Eyes provides that.

I mention it here, but Time Maiden is another LV 1, who works with Light of Redemption and The White Stone of Ancients, which lets you grind.

As for why I keep mentioning Spellcasters,

300?cb=20170429113322

It amazes people haven't caught onto this Monster Reborn for LV 1-3 Spellcasters, and it's a Continuous Spell (gives you Spell + Monster for Master Peace).

It lets you revive LV 1 Blue Eyes Tuners (you had Silver Cry and Return of the Dragon Lords for the Dragons, but nothing for the Casters before), you can play it with Mystic Piper, it lets you revive Subterror Fiendess as either negation, or flipping itself down to trigger Subterrors in hand, and grave revival!, people are really sleeping on this card.

Zeppelin    57

Right now the biggest problem with this deck is true draco and zoodiac. It cant beat them, they generate to much advantage and there guys are too big. Essentially I think you need to run the all out burn strategy to beat them currently then go field wipes for second and try and steal wins. I have tested a couple of different builds and that one seems to work the best right now. 

I think the most interesting thing about Trickstar right now is just where you can splash Candina and Reincarnation. I think darklords are a decent pick. I also like the options with true dracos, Candina and reincarnation serve as a balance point for the dino matchup (banishing searches from oviraptor or chaining to Lithosaygm effect). Also opening up the rank 4 pool with candina is nice because you can go into Abyss Dweller or Tornado dragon in the mirror or dino matchup. 

»victor    6400

For what it's worth, this deck got 2nd place at the Japanese WCQ, i.e. a guy won with this to represent Japan at Worlds.

WestJapanWCQ2017_1-2ndB.jpg

カサダ タカヨシ Kasada Takayoshi (Osaka Event): Trickstar

3 Trickstar Candina
3 Trickstar Lycoris
1 Trickstar Lilybell
3 Droll & Lock Bird
3 Honest
2 Maxx “C”

3 Trickstar Light Stage
3 Chciken Game
3 Terraforming
1 Dark Hole
1 Harpie’s Feather Duster
3 Chain Summoning
3 Contract with Don Thousand

3 Trickstar Reincarnation
3 Disturbance Strategy
1 Ring of Destruction

1 The Phantom Knights of Break Sword
1 Evilswarm Exciton Knight
2 Number 41: Tapirnysus the Stupor Beast
1 Number 39: Utopia
1 Number S39: Utopia Prime
1 Number S39: Utopia the Lightning
1 Zoodiac Boarbow
2 Trickstar Holly Angel
3 Proxy Dragon
1 Decode Talker
1 Topologic Bomber Dragon

Here are a couple other decklists from somewhat large tournaments (bigger than Japanese card shops and locals):

Hatti CS x Ooarashi Cup in Kagawa, Domestic Tournament, 07/22/2017, 55 Players
—————————————————————-
1st Place: Chaos Trickstar

MONSTER CARDS (24):
3 D.D. Crow
1 Trickster Lilybell
3 Trickster Lycorissica
2 Honest
3 Trickster Candina
3 Eater of Millions
2 Black Luster Soldier – Envoy of the Beginning
3 Ash Blossom & Joyous Spring
3 Ghost Reaper & Winter Cherries
1 Blackwing – Gofu the Vague Shadow

SPELL CARDS (10):
1 Pot of Desires
2 Terraforming
3 Scapegoat
3 Trickster Lightstage

TRAP CARDS (7):
3 Trickster Reincarnation
1 Solemn Warning
1 Solemn Judgment
2 Solemn Strike

EXTRA DECK (15):
1 ABC-Dragon Buster
1 Crystal Wing Synchro Dragon
1 Denglong, First of the Yang Zing
3 Link Spider
1 Akashic Magician
1 Trickster Holy Angel
1 Proxy Dragon
1 Missus Radiant
1 Star Grail Warrior Ningirsu
1 Decode Talker
1 Varrel Load Dragon
1 Firewall Dragon

SIDE-DECK (15):
3 Skull Meister
1 Gameciel, the Sea Turtle Kaiju
1 Jizukiru, the Star Destroying Kaiju
1 Fire Sorcerer
3 Ghost Ogre & Snow Rabbit
3 Cosmic Cyclone
3 Macro Cosmos

Top 8 at the Asian YCS equivalent (300 PARTICIPANTS)

yothongkong2017_5-8thc.jpg?w=940

Strike Tetsu CS, Domestic Tournament, 08/06/2017, 106 Players
—————————————————————-

9th Place

MONSTER CARDS (22):
1 Trickstar Lilybell
3 Trickstar Lycoris
3 Honest
3 Trickstar Candina
3 Eater of Millions
2 Black Luster Soldier – Envoy of the Beginning
3 Ash Blossom & Joyous Spring
3 Ghost Reaper & Winter Cherries
1 Blackwing – Gofu the Vague Shadow

SPELL CARDS (13):
1 Pot of Desires
2 Terraforming
3 Cosmic Cyclone
3 Scapegoat
3 Trickstar Light Stage

TRAP CARDS (5):
3 Trickstar Reincarnation
1 Solemn Warning
1 Solemn Judgment

EXTRA DECK (15):
1 ABC-Dragon Buster
1 Invoked Mechaba
1 Crystal Wing Synchro Dragon
1 Denglong, First of the Yang Zing
1 Number 39: Utopia
1 Shining No. 39: Utopia the Lightning
1 Gaia Saber, The Lightning Shadow
1 Link Spider
1 Proxy Dragon
1 Missus Radiant
1 Decode Talker
1 Trigate Wizard
1 Varrel Load Dragon
1 Firewall Dragon

SIDE-DECK (15):
3 Skull Meister
1 Kumongous, the Sticky String Kaiju
1 Gameciel, the Sea Turtle Kaiju
1 Jizukiru, the Star Destroying Kaiju
3 Ghost Ogre & Snow Rabbit
1 Interrupted Kaiju Slumber
2 Zombie World
3 Macro Cosmos

Zeppelin    57

OK so here is what I am taking to regional's on Saturday. Explanations below

Duelingbook Screenshot

So, with Konami still sitting around with their thumb up their ass on how to nuke the format I figured I would go full retard and run a degenerate deck to try and beat degenerate decks. 

Monsters: 

This is kind of self explanatory, I like the ratios, this is built to go first and steal games going second. 

Spells: 

So this is where the explanations are needed:

Chain summoning

-This being an OTK deck i feel this is the right place for it, also with the addition of set rotation it makes this card more consistent)

Set rotation

-Without this card you only have 9 starter cards, this puts you to a solid number of 12, also Lightstage is completely necessary for this strategy so why not max on extra terraformings. I know this can also stop some combos by not being able to activate another lightstage but that brings me to my next card)

Instant Fusion

-This card is amazing in here, great going first card and great going second card. Its an out to problem monsters (thousand eyes restrict) and it combos with lightstage and set rotation (ancient fairy dragon) lastly, it is a toolbox for decent 7 and 8 synchros.

Contract with Don Thousand

- This is the best consistency card in here, it gives information, it burns and replaces itself what else could you want in a OTK burn deck?

Traps:

Disturbance strategy & Present Card (maxing out on ways to trigger droll and to burn for big damage)

Side:

Alot of field wipes and kaiju's 

Brain control and Mind Control (Brain to punch for quick game against true draco, a lot of people forget that a single Candina is 3800 damage so stealing a dinomight and punching in puts the opponent on a clock. Mind control to steal dridents)

Extra:

Link Monsters - Holly angel is your primary guy (Topological bomber dragon comes up from time to time)

Fusions - Instant fusion

Synchros - Random stuff that comes up from time to time

XYZ - See side deck

Edited by Zeppelin
  • Upvote 1

»victor    6400
1 hour ago, Zeppelin said:

OK so here is what I am taking to regional's on Saturday. Explanations below

What do you think about Eater of Millions + Gofu alongside Where Arf Thou? Instant Fusion for TER gives you another LV 1 without overcommiting to it.

If the OCG had more Gofu, they'd be playing them.

I think those + Scapegoats and Battle Fader for protection are better than playing multiple Set Rotation and Terraforming which can be dead, and Don 1000 is OPT (so you don't need 3) and Present Card is far more situational than any of the above.

I think if you want to play it like you are, you should play Dark World Dealings or something, to chuck the dead cards.

Zeppelin    57
12 hours ago, victor said:

What do you think about Eater of Millions + Gofu alongside Where Arf Thou? Instant Fusion for TER gives you another LV 1 without overcommiting to it.

If the OCG had more Gofu, they'd be playing them.

I think those + Scapegoats and Battle Fader for protection are better than playing multiple Set Rotation and Terraforming which can be dead, and Don 1000 is OPT (so you don't need 3) and Present Card is far more situational than any of the above.

I think if you want to play it like you are, you should play Dark World Dealings or something, to chuck the dead cards.

I have tried a bunch of iterations of this deck:

Link route (Scapegoats/Gofu) - The issue with this route is it doesn't solve the issue of getting over larger monster, topologic bomber is the best possible route, when trying to climb things just get popped by master peace or drident. 

Hand Trap route (maxing out on ghost ogre, ash blossom, droll) - I thought this deck would be better but it is so subpar against zoo, not to bad against true draco but if they succesfully tribute for a monster or resolve diagram you just lose

Heavy trap route (Quaking, Floodgate, Blazing) - This deck was by far the best deck in regards to having every game be playable, Still loses pretty hard to True Draco as your traps are worthless when they are getting popped by the true draco spell and traps. This deck can grind with Zoo and actually this version plays very similar to Zoo as you run such a small core engine that you have a lot of room to tech out the deck.

Straight Burn (The above build) - This version obviously steals the most games but is terrible going second. This is a dice roll build but with the amount of 50/50 situations with the trap heavy build this seemed like a better choice for a smaller regional setting.    

On the subject of eater, I think eater is great against true draco if the game is in a simplified game state, the issue is most true draco players should know that eater is the only out in the deck so all resources can go to outing it. Eater isn't bad against zoo but if they have a drident with more than 1800 atk then its the same situation as with true draco. 

I keep going back to the mindset of just running mass removal cards and try to win off the grind game cause lets be honest this deck does not lose in time. 

-Mass removal cards: Raigeki, Dark Hole, Heavy Storm Duster, Torrential, Blazing Mirror Force, Quaking Mirror Force. Any other suggestions are welcome. 

Edited by Zeppelin

»victor    6400
10 hours ago, Zeppelin said:

I have tried a bunch of iterations of this deck:

Link route (Scapegoats/Gofu) - The issue with this route is it doesn't solve the issue of getting over larger monster, topologic bomber is the best possible route, when trying to climb things just get popped by master peace or drident. 

Hand Trap route (maxing out on ghost ogre, ash blossom, droll) - I thought this deck would be better but it is so subpar against zoo, not to bad against true draco but if they succesfully tribute for a monster or resolve diagram you just lose

Heavy trap route (Quaking, Floodgate, Blazing) - This deck was by far the best deck in regards to having every game be playable, Still loses pretty hard to True Draco as your traps are worthless when they are getting popped by the true draco spell and traps. This deck can grind with Zoo and actually this version plays very similar to Zoo as you run such a small core engine that you have a lot of room to tech out the deck.

Straight Burn (The above build) - This version obviously steals the most games but is terrible going second. This is a dice roll build but with the amount of 50/50 situations with the trap heavy build this seemed like a better choice for a smaller regional setting.    

On the subject of eater, I think eater is great against true draco if the game is in a simplified game state, the issue is most true draco players should know that eater is the only out in the deck so all resources can go to outing it. Eater isn't bad against zoo but if they have a drident with more than 1800 atk then its the same situation as with true draco. 

I keep going back to the mindset of just running mass removal cards and try to win off the grind game cause lets be honest this deck does not lose in time. 

-Mass removal cards: Raigeki, Dark Hole, Heavy Storm Duster, Torrential, Blazing Mirror Force, Quaking Mirror Force. Any other suggestions are welcome. 

If you care about the grind game, I think the focus should be more on Magical Mid Breaker Field (which is a pretty great grind game card, because you force battle, playing into your nontargeting non destruction Mirror Forces and Floodgate Trap Hole). It lets you play around Drident and Master Peace. And they won't want to destroy it, because then you can play Light Stage, so it's a win-win.

And if you look at the OCG for inspiration (although they don't deal with the Drident and MP problems), MMBF makes Honest and Juragedo better.

See

yotsingapore2017asiapremier_2nda.jpg?w=9

One card that straddles both sides of battle and burn, is:

300?cb=20170330172225

The idea is if you burn them early, and get them lower than you, then they've lost their field.

It sends, so it doesn't target or destroy.

As far as mass removal cards, there was also this card: http://yugiohtopdecks.com/card/Blind+Obliteration

that folks were playing at YCS Rimini in August, because it's a Chance effect and gets around MBAAS, and this deck being a Link deck means Holly Angel is unaffected.

It's a gimmick but 3 folks Top 16ed a YCS with it.

------------

Also, I think Hand Destruction is better than the Dark World Dealings I mentioned earlier. It draws 2, and deals more damage.

Zeppelin    57

Doesn't Magical Mid Breaker Field only protect your cards during MP1? What's stopping them from just using Drident or Master Peace in the BP?

Clashing souls is something I was thinking about as well, I think it is a great card against True Draco as it is in the damage step and you should have more LP than your opponent on most occasions to make it good. 

Yeah blind obliteration seems really good as well, it really fits the theme or trickstars as kind of a troll deck. It is an option I should try out. I am running out of time though haha. 

Dango    824

While not really trickstar based I have been testing this to some success (obviously only going first

3 Gofu

1 quickdraw or tricky

3 Droll

3 Eater of millions

1 Candina

2 Ly

3 Sangan

1 Tour Guide

1 Gemknight

3 Instant

3 Trickstar field spell

3 Brilliant 

3 Where arf thou

2 Terraforming 

2 Present Card

3 Reincarnation

3 Disturbance 

Extra deck:

2 Proxy Dragons 

2 spider

1 Raidiant 

1 ultimaya

1 Crystal

1 Durandel 

1 level 1 fusion that burns based on itself level

1 raidjin or any lvl 5 tbh

1 gemknight

4 cards of choice either more copies to banish for eater or other shit that could be useful, I just play more copies for eater and a talker.

The idea is obviously the droll and lock combo with the ability to still burn with ly if you don't open droll. It opens droll pretty consistently between sangan/ where arf thou/ hard open. Instant fusion is a where arf thou +500 burn not thats too relivent or rank 5 fodder for durandel or a body to proxy search with sangan if you open the traps instead of needing durandel. Brilliant gives you two ly or Ly trap or sangan search trap search. gofu + brilliant or gofu + instant is an ultimaya as well if you did not open combo. If there is a better card that quickdraw or the tricky that does not conflict with gofu lmk. 

Idk how to deal with going second, thinking just side board into big kaiju set and board wipes along with hand traps, siding out the whole droll combo and just kinda play kaiju control I guess? 

Zeppelin    57

Ended up getting 19th. The deck was not good, so many games were unplayable. I lost to paleo and a mirror match where I lost the die roll. Mission accomplished though. 

going forward, especially when circuit break comes out, i would run the link version, its much better.