Sign in to follow this  
NB96

UEFA Champions League 2017/18

NB96    795

The UEFA Champions League draw for 2017/18 season takes place today at 17:00 BST at the Grimaldi Forum in Monaco. The managers of each of the 5 english sides in the competition have now completed a minimum of one season at their respective club, meaning that managers like José Mourinho, Pep Guardiola, Jürgen Klopp and Antonio Conte will no longer have any excuse for a poor showing after having had a chance to build their team with two summer transfer windows. With the astronomical amounts of money now in the English game, English clubs are expected to perform better in the competition now moreso than in the last 5 years or so.

Below are the seedings for each pot and the country the club represents. Pot 1 contains the title holders and the champions of the top seven associations based on their 2016 UEFA country coefficients. As the title holders, Real Madrid, are one of the champions of the top seven associations, the champions of the association ranked eighth are also seeded into Pot 1 (regulations Article 13.05). Pots 2, 3 and 4 contain the remaining teams, seeded based on their 2017 UEFA club coefficients.

In each group, teams play against each other home-and-away in a round-robin format. The group winners and runners-up advance to the round of 16, while the third-placed teams enter the 2017–18 UEFA Europa League round of 32. The matchdays are 12–13 September, 26–27 September, 17–18 October, 31 October – 1 November, 21–22 November, and 5–6 December 2017.

A total of 32 teams play in the group stage: 22 teams which enter in this stage, and the 10 winners of the play-off round (5 from Champions Route, 5 from League Route). Qarabağ and RB Leipzig will make their debut appearances in the group stage.

Pot One:
Real Madrid (ESP)
FC Bayern München (GER)
Juventus (ITA)
Chelsea (ENG)
Benfica (POR)
Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR)
AS Monaco (FRA)
Spartak Moscow (RUS)

Pot Two:

Barcelona (ESP)

Atlético Madrid (ESP)

Paris Saint-Germain (FRA)

Borussia Dortmund (GER)

Sevilla (ESP)

Manchester City (ENG)

Porto (POR)
Manchester United (ENG)

Pot Three:

Napoli (ITA)

Tottenham Hotspur (ENG)

Basel (SWI)

Olympiacos (GRE)
Anderlecht (BEL)

Liverpool (ENG)

Roma (ITA)

Beşiktaş (TUR)

Pot Four:

Celtic (SCO)

CSKA Moscow (RUS)

Sporting CP (POR)

APOEL (CYP)

Feyenoord (NED)

Maribor (SLO)

Qarabağ (AZE)

RB Leipzig (GER)

Arguably it is preferable to be in Pot Two rather than Pot One this year. Who do you support, and what would be your ideal group stage draw?

Edited by NB96
  • Upvote 1

Faint    5590

It is certainly not preferable to be in pot 2, purely because of the possibility of drawing Real Madrid - the best team in Europe bar none. 

As a LFC fan, the ideal group would be Shakhtar Donetsk, Porto, LFC, Qarabağ.

Knowing us though it'll be Real PSG & Leipzig :( 

NB96    795

I found a CL draw simulator here which I thought would be fun to try.

https://draw.inker.fun/#/cl/gs

I got this for my mock draw:

2XfHgoq.png?1

Groups A and G would probably be the worst, hard to say which I'd prefer to be in. Group H is also no joke.

Edited by NB96

NB96    795

OFFICIAL CHAMPIONS LEAGUE GROUPS:

Group A:
Benfica (POR)
Manchester United (ENG)
Basel (SWI)
CSKA Moscow (RUS)

Group B
FC Bayern München (GER)
Paris St. Germain (FRA)
Anderlecht (BEL)
Celtic (SCO)

Group C
Chelsea (ENG)
Atlético Madrid (ESP)
AS Roma (ITA)
Qarabağ (AZE)

Group D
Juventus (ITA)
FC Barcelona (ESP)
Olympiakos (GRE)
Sporting CP (POR)

Group E
Spartak Moscow (RUS)
Sevilla (ESP)
Liverpool (ENG)
NK Maribor (SLO)

Group F
Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR)
Manchester City (ENG)
Napoli (ITA)
Feyenoord (NED)

Group G
AS Monaco (FRA)
FC Porto (POR)
Beşiktaş (TUR)
RB Leipzig (GER)

Group H
Real Madrid (ESP)
Borussia Dortmund (GER)
Tottenham Hotspur (ENG)
APOEL Nicosia (CYP)

Disaster for Spurs, not so much for the rest of the PL teams. Liverpool could find it tough in Group E though. Good result for Manchester United, drawing CSKA Moscow at the end was disappointing just for the distance to travel but we should be able to beat these teams comfortably. I feel sorry for Spurs.

Napoli play a brilliant short passing game and could be a threat for Manchester City. I saw highlights of their games against Real Madrid last season in the round of 16 and at times they were playing real Madrid off the park, despite what the scoreline suggests. Ironic that Chelsea would draw Atlético Madrid given the Diego Costa situation. I'm looking forward to Bayern vs PSG as well, the best of France against the best of Germany. With he acquisition of Neymar PSG could be a real threat this year.

I've no idea why a team from Azerbaijan is in the Champions League though. I didn't think the country was in Europe but perhaps I'm mistaken. Celtic have been drawn into another tough group; last year they had FC Barcelona, Manchester City and Bayer Monchengladbach and this year is no easier. Easy to go undefeated for a whole season against cannon fodder in the SPL but not so much in Europe.

Edited by NB96
  • Upvote 1

Aaron    1980

cant really ask for a better group. should qualify for knockouts (lpool)

could be worth a cheeky bet to reach the quater finals/semis. 

group c+h are the most interesting ones. 

• Upvote 1

+Urthor    10221

The difference between group A and Groups B C D and H is ridiculous. How lucky did United get christ. Chelsea got almost as unlucky as Spurs, Roma and Atletico is a big ask

NB96    795
17 hours ago, Urthor said:

The difference between group A and Groups B C D and H is ridiculous. How lucky did United get christ. Chelsea got almost as unlucky as Spurs, Roma and Atletico is a big ask

Yeah we usually get easy groups in the group stage. Then again the last time we drew Basel and Benfica we were knocked out into the Europa League... it was just horrendous watching us in Europe that season.

Edited by NB96

NB96    795

Celtic fans will tell you Celtic Park is the biggest home advantage in world football but it's a massacre out there; PSG 3-0 Celtic. Not so easy when they are facing teams stronger than the EFL League 1 to beat up on.

1-0 at half time against Basel, we've dominated the ball and stopped them from barely getting out of their box but we've created very little. At least Young could put in a decent cross unlike Valenica. Fellaini isn't a great player but he has his uses so I can see why Mourinho would want to keep him.

NB96    795

26/09/17
19:45

AS Monaco vs Porto
Napoli vs Feyenoord
Sevilla vs Maribor
Borussia Dortmund vs Real Madrid
Manchester City vs Shakhtar
APOEL Nicosia vs Tottenham
Spartak Moscow vs Liverpool
Beşiktaş vs RB Leipzig

27/09/17
17:00
FK Qarabağ vs AS Roma

19:45
Atletico Madrid vs Chelsea
Juventus vs Olympiakos
RSC Anderlecht vs Celtic
Paris St. Germain vs FC Bayern
Sporting CP vs FC Barcelona
CSKA Moscow vs Manchester United
Basel vs Benfica

NB96    795

4-1 win over CSKA Moscow, great performance. Lukaku is on fire. Basel beat Benfica 5-0, they are a mess.

Chelsea 2-1 Ateltico with a last minute goal from Batshuyai. English teams could go far in Europe this season.

PSG 3-0 FC Bayern, PSG will surely be a threat to win the competition every year from now on until Qatar gets bored of them and the money runs out.

Edited by NB96

+Urthor    10221

well that was hilarious.  The group stage hadn't even finished yet.

NB96    795

Tottenham drew with Real Madrid, who have started their campaign to tap up Harry Kane already.