Bazaar of Baghdad

Problem with new build

Okay so I built a box, first couple power-ons everything is working fine. I install some software with the monitor attached then turn it off to install the graphics card (I didn't have an HDMI cable lying around, so I just hooked the monitor up to the onboard VGA.)  When I went to reattach everything and power on again I got nothing. No lights and no fans. I took the GPU out to see if that was somehow causing the issue but still nothing. None of the fans are blocked. I'm guessing it is one of three things, either the motherboard or psu died in the 5 minutes it took to install the graphics card, or I'm a retard, which I really hope is the problem. I attached a picture of the mobo setup if that is useful at all.

15037058406081377997324.jpg

OD Superman    1122

There are some common issues you want to make sure you've addressed before assuming anything drastically terrible happened. I'm sure you could Google a more comprehensive list but things like making sure the standoffs are in, that you put thermal paste on your processor properly, that you didn't short anything, etc. 

Next most important thing is making sure all the power wires are in, that the switch on the PSU is on. Make sure you have your motherboard manual on hand as you sort this out. Installation guides are super helpful.

If you have a spare PSU, try swapping in. If that winds up being the thing, don't blame me for being the first one to say I told you so lol.

Otherwise you're SOL and I've got nothing. Hope you don't have to return the motherboard, but if you do, just say it was DOA and you'll likely get a free replacement.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I've googled everything. All the standoffs are in. Thermal paste came already applied with the cpu cooler. PSU switch is definitely on, I've checked the cables multiple times now. How would I test to see if I shorted anything?

I don't have a spare PSU, and everything local that would have one is closed for the day by now. I tried to grab one about an hour ago at Staples but apparently they don't stock them. 

Yeah, really hoping it isn't the motherboard either. PSU is a pain but that's better than pulling out the motherboard and redoing everything. 

OD Superman    1122
On 8/26/2017 at 5:51 PM, Bazaar of Baghdad said:

just Ruled out the Power Supply, just going to message the seller of the MoBo that it was DOA. 

Sorry didn't see this sooner, but it doesn't matter. Hope you've tried things without the graphics card installed, this solves the issue.

Yeah, once it stopped working after I installed the graphics card the first thing I did was take the card back out to see if it was causing the issue.

OD Superman    1122
14 hours ago, OD Superman said:

Sorry didn't see this sooner, but it doesn't matter. Hope you've tried things without the graphics card installed, this solves the issue.

10 hours ago, Bazaar of Baghdad said:

Yeah, once it stopped working after I installed the graphics card the first thing I did was take the card back out to see if it was causing the issue.

*Sorry didn't see this sooner, but it doesn't matter. Hope you tried things without the graphics card installed. Either way, I hope replacing the mobo solves the issue.

Not sure why I typed it the way I did the first time.

Okay so I installed the new motherboard, turned it on to make sure it would startup and it did. Then I installed the graphics card again and it, again, doesn't work, even after taking the card back out again. What the fuck do I do?

Okay, reset the CMOS battery and it at least turns on again. Installed the gpu and it works as long as I don't connect the psu to the gpu, The little light on top of the gpu turns on with the rest of the motherboard not sure if that is useful diagnostic information. It doesn't boot to windows though, evidenced by the vnc server not starting up. Not sure if that's just because I swapped out the motherboards, or if something else is happening. I'll hook up a monitor tomorrow to tinker around with things. 

edit: okay, fixed it by repeatedly taking out the CMOS battery and putting it back in again until it would boot. Couldn't tell you how or why it worked, but I guess having neurotic tendencies was good for a change.