Envoy.

Envoy's Dick Party GFX Showcase

Envoy.    0

[28/08/17]

Been messing around in Adobe CS6 for around 2 years but only started making ''art'' and gfx recently. Everything at the moment is experimental and I mostly mess around with sigs and avis until they look nice. A problem that I have found recurring in my gfx work is the text placement. Even though I have read about the rule of thirds, I still find it hard to come to placing the text in the right position. I am very open to advice/constructive criticism as it is the only way I can turn my fuckfest into something half decent to look at it.

Recently, I won the server icon contest on some tournament server and made quite a few attempts. At the current moment, they all prove to be my bests work. As stated above, text placement proved hard as it was a crucial aspect of making a server icon. 

Icons:

Winner:

zqamK7p.jpg 

Has to be my best work. Messed with the grid-line effect on top of the render. Started off by centering the render and sharpening it. After finding a background that matched the renders colour tone, I placed it behind it and used a brush with a low opacity to highlight the lighting behind the render using the ''Screen'' effect. Did the same for the blue on the right hand side. Pasted the ozone logo to the ''middle'' and turned the opacity down a bit. Overall without a doubt, my best work.

u4B365O.jpg

Another decent attempt. Made it the same way as I did to the one above. Toyed with the haft-tone effect and again, used the screen/low opacity brush to highlight the background and the eye.

ZsgsVa1.jpg

A poor attempt. Render seems too sharpened compared to the background. Colours of the ozone logo a bit off and don't match the multicoloured background.

ESphXwK.jpg

I don't mind this one. It's a bit harsh on the eyes as there is a lot of pink but it's not as bad as the above attempt. Once again, I may have overdone the sharpening on the render compared to the background. Also, the opacity on the brush could've been turned down a bit on the left hand side of the ''Ozone logo''.

r8VR86k.jpg

My worst attempt. Experimented with the smudge effect from a snippet of a render and placed the ozone logo on top of it. Got pictures of cards and used a low opacity brush over them to make everything blend in. One major problem here is that EVERYTHING blends in. The logo doesn't stand out as much as my other attempts. Note that this was my first attempt at the contest though, and it was my first time trying Photoshop in a whole year.

Signatures:

2b1ybi9.jpg

The only signature that I have made recently. Made multiple copies of the Drident render and smudged outwards from the main Drident render. After getting a texture that I liked, I used a light blue with a low opacity brush to go with the flow of the smudge to emphasize the render a bit. Placing the text here was a bit easier as there was more space to work with. 

Other edit(s):

faHNGSa.jpg

Played around with the lean aesthetic edits. This didn't take much time to make but I think it looks good. I Used cut outs of Japanese writing and lean bottles and placed them randomly over the original Homer picture. Used a low opacity purple brush over the whole merged image to make everything blend in. Placed the first background over the whole picture and lowered the opacity and made a new layer, and placed the VCR glitch effect render over the whole edit and lowered the opacity. 

5v2wigo.jpg

Same method for the Homer edit just with more snippets. Instead of putting a background over the render, I put it behind and used the VCR effect over the whole merged picture.

Please bash me with advice (:

Nate1080    1232

For the icons, in terms of text placement, I would put the Ozone logo closer to the left side rather than dead center (in this specific case, near the bottom left). This is because the logo is pretty heavy on the left side (and more so on the upper left side) and it makes the image look rather unbalanced in my eyes.

The render in the second icon looks skewed. You want to avoid that at all costs. The shift key is your friend; hold shift while applying a transformation/resizing the image to keep its proportions correct.

Third icon, an easy fix to the render being too sharp for the background (other than unsharpening) is to put a layer of white over the image and background and then turn the opacity way down to about 20 I believe. It should soften the image a bit, and in addition, make the logo match the background a little. I used to do that about 9-10 years ago when I was 13-14 in GIMP when the render I used for a image just looked too sharp and threw what I was doing completely off.

I would suggest to try the same to the 4th icon as well, in addition to putting the render closer to the top of the image to balance it out.

Also, it should go without saying, but don’t over use the sharpening tool. It can quickly turn a good image into total garbage. It shouldn’t be super obvious that the sharpening tool was used.

-Edit-

Just took a look at the sig image. The text needs to be a little bit larger in this case as the sig is pretty large, it makes the text look smaller than it really does.

Also, the text needs to stand out a bit more, a small part of it is hard to see because it blends into Drident and the beginning part of “leader” blends with the background a bit. A black outline 3-5 pixels wide would easily fix this and not ruin the image too much.

The left edge of the Drident render (where her pinky and staff meet) is cut off. Basically the edge of the render can be seen as clear as day. In this case, I think blending that edge into the background can fix it.

Lastly, the top right of the sig...the image is showing through the borders you drew. A good clean way to make borders is to use the retangle tool, drag it over your image and then go to edit at the top of the screen and then scroll down to the stroke menu and follow the dialog box that appears. Also, you can use the brush/pencil tool and hold the shift key while you draw to create a straight line, and you can do that to also make a border.

I also do some smudge stuff and I was wondering how did you pull out that sick drident color scheme.Best I could do was this 

lamassu complete.png

Envoy.    0
17 hours ago, Nate1080 said:

For the icons, in terms of text placement, I would put the Ozone logo closer to the left side rather than dead center (in this specific case, near the bottom left). This is because the logo is pretty heavy on the left side (and more so on the upper left side) and it makes the image look rather unbalanced in my eyes.

Agree to disagree. I think this would be a good suggestion if it were a piece of work on it's own, but this is a server icon and it looks perfect dead in the centre. I see where you are coming from though. What it looks like as a sever icon:

RM2yt_jsQEaBBGADK-AkrQ.png

The render in the second icon looks skewed. You want to avoid that at all costs. The shift key is your friend; hold shift while applying a transformation/resizing the image to keep its proportions correct.

Thank you for reminding me of this. I always knew there was a way to keep the proportions correct but never knew HOW to do it. 

Third icon, an easy fix to the render being too sharp for the background (other than unsharpening) is to put a layer of white over the image and background and then turn the opacity way down to about 20 I believe. It should soften the image a bit, and in addition, make the logo match the background a little. I used to do that about 9-10 years ago when I was 13-14 in GIMP when the render I used for a image just looked too sharp and threw what I was doing completely off.

If I did this, and merged every layer together including the white one, and put a filter over it, would it affect the image? Would the filter effect end up being softer?

Just took a look at the sig image. The text needs to be a little bit larger in this case as the sig is pretty large, it makes the text look smaller than it really does.

Also, the text needs to stand out a bit more, a small part of it is hard to see because it blends into Drident and the beginning part of “leader” blends with the background a bit. A black outline 3-5 pixels wide would easily fix this and not ruin the image too much.

The left edge of the Drident render (where her pinky and staff meet) is cut off. Basically the edge of the render can be seen as clear as day. In this case, I think blending that edge into the background can fix it.

Lastly, the top right of the sig...the image is showing through the borders you drew. A good clean way to make borders is to use the retangle tool, drag it over your image and then go to edit at the top of the screen and then scroll down to the stroke menu and follow the dialog box that appears. Also, you can use the brush/pencil tool and hold the shift key while you draw to create a straight line, and you can do that to also make a border.

How do I get a black outline on the text? I couldn't find the option anywhere on PS6. Other than that, this has all the advice I need. Thank you very much for the feedback.

12 hours ago, Prae Yoshiru said:

I also do some smudge stuff and I was wondering how did you pull out that sick drident color scheme.Best I could do was this 

Copy and paste the render until your canvas is full, hide the render you want to keep and smudge as you please (:

Yeah thats what I basically do I'm just interested in which brush you used?

Nate1080    1232

Now that I see the icon in action, I see what you mean about it.

Also, I guess that depends on the filter you use. Technically the white overlay is supposed to be a fake filter. To show you what I mean, look at the sig I made some years back and a copy of the card I got the render from to look at the difference a white layer with low transparency can make:

DCL.png

300?cb=20140730191256

It's literally night and day. Also, holy shit I made that sig small...never noticed that.

And to get an outline on the text, you make a selection on the text layer and go to edit -> stroke and follow the dialog box.

Also, bonus tip, selecting the text layer and putting a light gradient is a good way to add a bit of depth to the text and can also make it pop a little. The sig I made would look super flat and dull if I just left the text white, rather than use a gradient. The gradient doesn’t work all the time, depending on the colors used and the composition of the image, but when it does its gold.

Envoy.    0
2 hours ago, Prae Yoshiru said:

Yeah thats what I basically do I'm just interested in which brush you used?

tLQ8fdkNR02bXAufO-OUJA.png

I believe that's what I used for the smudge sig.

1 hour ago, Nate1080 said:

Also, bonus tip, selecting the text layer and putting a light gradient is a good way to add a bit of depth to the text and can also make it pop a little. The sig I made would look super flat and dull if I just left the text white, rather than use a gradient. The gradient doesn’t work all the time, depending on the colors used and the composition of the image, but when it does its gold.

Perfect, I will try it out. Thanks for the advice.

EDIT: What do you think of my aesthetic edit(s) btw? I saw your artwork in the DGz discord and wanted to see your outlook on some of my other non realted GFX work.

Edited by Envoy.