Logic

DGZ Mafia Mafia Afterthread - Scum Wins

+JC.    4856

Hm since we're on the topic of getting better I want to present an alternative view.

I think a mindset that gets overlooked a lot is roughly as follows: "Will this make the game more fun for the other players?"

It isn't directly tied to "git gud", but I think there are a lot of parallels you can draw.

For instance, if you're town and floating, you are giving your teammates nothing to work with. This isn't fun for them.

If you get into a huge heated argument, you both feed off of each other's negative experiences AND hurt everyone that has to eventually read through it.

If you go back and take a look at what a recently dead player had to say and make sure their views are properly discussed, that spectator is now invested in the thread and rooting for you to come through.

This also applies to game design.

When you add a role like doctor, that player gets to have more fun, act on their reads, and feel great when they succeed; when you add posting restrictions or even something innocuous like a survivor, that player becomes frustrated because they are no longer playing the game they signed up for.

Just my 2cents. I think if we focus a bit more on the experience, there would be improvements in every area.

• Upvote 4

JAPANESE GOBLIN    2182

sure and i talk about those too. this game is obviously less of a priority in that regard cuz its deliberately role nonsense but i think even in that instance thinking of fun helps.

+JC.    4856

Also, please keep in mind that discussion partners are less likely to be receptive to your perspectives when they feel attacked.

• Upvote 2

JAPANESE GOBLIN    2182

sure but i think i can say when two people are already arguing that they both did bad. id like it to be kept in mind that people can read the games without playing them so despite not playing i DO know whats happening. p hard to have any kind of conversation when im constantly told that i and i alone cant offer opinions cuz im not out here getting night killed every game.

• Downvote 1

Jazz    4764
3 minutes ago, JAPANESE GOBLIN said:

sure but i think i can say when two people are already arguing that they both did bad. id like it to be kept in mind that people can read the games without playing them so despite not playing i DO know whats happening. p hard to have any kind of conversation when im constantly told that i and i alone cant offer opinions cuz im not out here getting night killed every game.

Youve been an asshole to me for months and when you're randomly being an asshole to me in the aftergame thread and not even evaluating my play objectively, I'm going to tell you to shut the fuck up because that's how you make me feel

BuildTheWalia    109
10 minutes ago, JC. said:

Also, please keep in mind that discussion partners are less likely to be receptive to your perspectives when they feel attacked.

A lot of dgz could learn from this lol

• Upvote 1

BuildTheWalia    109

And fwiw although town seemed to play horribly this game, I had fun at least.

Also open to any tips/suggestions for future games.

• Upvote 1

Jazz    4764

Also it needs to be stated that crei played day 2 poorly. Yes he named several scum, but he waited until there were a couple hours left in the day to make his first and only vote and it was for town. MVP my ass

+JC.    4856

Jazz could have a point there.

It is true that crei posted accurate reads in the thread, died, and then, when asked post-death who the scum team was, named all 3 and the neutral.

However, does having the reads that get you killed make you the mvp, or does there need to be actionable content? If we look for high-impact plays, the Walia/Kris combo sent our discord channel into a tizzy, and may be more deserving.

• Upvote 1

+Gemstone Mine    2602

the only other person that could be considered is kris, and I heavily disagree with giving mvp out to people when the game basically solves itself for them via powers, and they don't play well otherwise.

+Gemstone Mine    2602
22 minutes ago, ZeroPassion said:

This is not a good precedence then.

the bar for this game

It's ultimately up to the host. I personally wouldn't have handed one out.

+Gemstone Mine    2602

strictly speaking, mvp does mean 'most valuable player', so it doesn't matter low the bar is, as long as one person definitely played better, then they should get it is a line of logic some people subscribe to. Essentially, the best of the worst is still the worst's most valuable player.

Ultimately, it's up to the host again.

Sophocles    2791

Oh, Jazz, I negged you just so Harima could win the day on his one day return from retirement.

Then I noticed posing old posts count for that too.

confuse rei    5680

For arguments sake, i didnt wait,  i was busy and when i came on i justified my reads. Noone replied (yes time zones etc,  but apparently that excuse only counts for everyone else,  not me)  but noone bothered to read my posts after i died and they were like 5 total. That is on them,  not me.  Spamming the thread with the same content over and over doesnt equate to better content.

And then jazz tries to convince the world i played poorly because i didnt post 200 times about the same thing, as if playing good solely means to be on all the time and be aggressive. 

confuse rei    5680

I really dont understand why jazz has gotten so salty about this game i tried to understand in the spectators chat but i gave up

Its a fucking game get over it,  drama is only acceptable in game

• Upvote 2

markus    2088

i didinr do much this game but when i read some of it i realized mark was really really scummy but nobody did anything about it. i guess they all died because we didnt design a healer in a game with 2 night kills a day.

Sophocles    2791
4 hours ago, JC. said:

When you add a role like doctor, that player gets to have more fun, act on their reads, and feel great when they succeed; when you add posting restrictions or even something innocuous like a survivor, that player becomes frustrated because they are no longer playing the game they signed up for.

In my opinion, having both designed games and played games with those roles in it, Posting Restrictions, Silencer, and Survivor are just poor roles that shouldn't ever be included. 

They are all about not letting people play mafia (and by that I mean posting and solving the game based on how people act/vote, not so much the mechanical aspect) and playing the game is something you want to encourage instead of all the ability talk like in this game. It's also usually demotivating, even getting silenced is extremely boring because you need to closely keep up with a phase you can't interact with - I'd rather just get killed and talk shit in the spectator chat or spend my time on something else, thanks.

Maybe once in a blue moon a posting restriction might be acceptable if it's funny or creative (like Magikarp or 'you can only post vocaroos' or smth) and even then, just being vanilla town is probably more fun for ppl.

But no hard feelings at Zapp because it's something I've only begun thinking about recently.

• Upvote 3

Wunterslaus    175

Liked the flavor. Didn't like the game. OD and Walia did decent for newcomers and liked what they did most of the time. I thought I was pretty transparent townie D2 and even though I was not online as much as I wanted my agenda was never scum aligned so it was very strange when Tyranno dropped his vote on me. That was a very bad move as a townie since he made it so that JC and Gemstone could hammer me. Never do a vote like that in a lylo/mylo situation ever again. Certainly not when you are town.

Feedback on my game and ^this^ are always welcome :)

confuse rei    5680

At this point in time i consider what soph posted about silencer etc a fact.  

But this game in particular was bound to be ridic and 'break'  the norm and its not like such roles destroy the game or anything,  they are just not in the direction we want to go as a community in general so it shouldnt be a problem if a neutered role madness esque game has such abilities included

markus    2088

the scum roles had curve balls and not sure if that was good for the roster of players we had.

Nelrick    2422
7 hours ago, JC. said:

btw @Nelrick please confirm that i was totally right and that if BB was scum having him use the power on you two hours into day 1 is 100% something you would do

It is true. 

Shoutouts to wunter for thinking that my role confirmed you as town. Truly captures my essence. Next leveling yourself.

I died after posting 5 times and i enjoyed the game, yall take this too seriously. We need stupid games like this once in a while (at least i do) to remind us that this

IS A FUCKING PARTY GAME THAT CAN BE EQUALLT FRUSTATING AS FUN DEPENDING ON YOUR OWN LOOKOUT. 50% OF THE GAME IS YOUR OWN ACTITUDE TOWARDS IT. IF IT SUCKS IT WILL SUCK FOR YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE.

Edited by Nelrick
  • Upvote 2

Faint    5722
5 hours ago, JC. said:

@Broken Brilliance

• Upvote 1