Sign in to follow this  
Carbon

Productivity in downtime.

Carbon    1859

I recently moved to a new state and I don't know very many people. I have a month off right now from school and basically the rest of my time is downtime. Even when I'm at work my store is pretty dead for the most part so I have 5 out of the 8 hours to do whatever I want really with minor breaks in-between. 

I've been just going to work then going home. Sometimes to the gym, but that life is getting pretty stale. When I don't do anything productive for a while I get angsty. I used to sit at home all day and play video games in the past, but I'm kinda over those behaviors for the most part (unless something crazy good comes out obv.) My question is this;

What are some good things to do/learn with all of this downtime? I don't mean things like "watch rick and morty" or "get better at league" etc. I mean things that would equate to real life skills and be a positive impact on life. Right now the only things coming to mind is learning the guitar or trying to re-learn spanish or something, but I'm unsure. Maybe other people have some decent ideas! 

Brandis72    10
14 hours ago, Carbon said:

I recently moved to a new state and I don't know very many people. I have a month off right now from school and basically the rest of my time is downtime. Even when I'm at work my store is pretty dead for the most part so I have 5 out of the 8 hours to do whatever I want really with minor breaks in-between. 

I've been just going to work then going home. Sometimes to the gym, but that life is getting pretty stale. When I don't do anything productive for a while I get angsty. I used to sit at home all day and play video games in the past, but I'm kinda over those behaviors for the most part (unless something crazy good comes out obv.) My question is this;

What are some good things to do/learn with all of this downtime? I don't mean things like "watch rick and morty" or "get better at league" etc. I mean things that would equate to real life skills and be a positive impact on life. Right now the only things coming to mind is learning the guitar or trying to re-learn spanish or something, but I'm unsure. Maybe other people have some decent ideas! 

If you like tactical games, maybe play chess (be it physical or online)? The game is extremely skill intensive, fun, and actually makes you smarter, at least in my experience.

Chess.com is a good place for chess practice thanks to the very difficult AI, and all the various tools that you can use to understand your mistakes, in addition to pretty solid online play.

Otherwise I can't really think of much; I never seem to be able to enjoy un-interactive hobbies, and as such can't give any advice on that.

Fullerene60    378

Download Sololearn to your phone and give it a shot. It has a whole slew of great programming language tutorials as a well as a section where you can challenge other people. It nominally improves your programming skills but it will really help understanding and interpret code in a bunch of different languages.